Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 14-15, 1928)

Peanuts: Year Four (April 4-7, 1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Classic Phantom

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DC Money posted:

well, how about the fact that CAVES ARE DARK! where is all that light coming from? how are they going to explore without any light? i mean there's unrealistic, and then there's just completely moronic. i can't even do a suspension of disbelief on this one.

Consistent exposure to the horrible visage of Rusty has rendered Mark Trail completely and totally blind. He navigates solely by echolocation.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Parahexavoctal posted:

<me> here's what the colorist said. isn't that nice?
<Dana Simpson> She does really nice work.

Well poo poo. That makes my day. Dana is the best. She signed a book for me when I was out of the office and she was visiting. I put in a word to her book editor before I switched departments about putting together a really nice treasury collection that isn't just a children's book.

Darkest Auer posted:

How long do you have to color each strip? Or are you spared the "efficiency monitoring" that plagues the modern workplace? From what I've seen, quality coloring can really make the comic shine, but I'm sure the management thinks that 10 seconds with the fill tool is good enough.

Funny you should ask, I'm in the process of logging the time per strip for my manager. Currently, Peanuts takes the longest because I have to color the same strip twice, one being a taller format. Grass is a pain. In the rear end.

Phoebe takes a while because you want to get details like Marigold's mane and Phoebe's hair right. You don't want backgrounds and poo poo flowing into them. Dana's shading and backgrounds on her grey layers add a lot of depth, so it makes coloring easier.

Frazz tends to take forever because of all the crosshatching. The loving crosshatching. Hundreds of children running around the panels all crosshatched.

Oh hey, Quill and Luann are breaking up. I hope it's forever.

painynumbs fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 14, 2016

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Julet Esqu posted:

Classic Phantom

"All these crippled kids sure hope you mash that other guy into a fine pulp!"

I love all of these old comics.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Geomancing posted:

Being able to google half-remembered lyrics is a wonder of modern life.
My brother misheard "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones as "Mafiaaa" for most of his life. I don't know what exactly he thought the song was about.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Darkest Auer posted:

"All these crippled kids sure hope you mash that other guy into a fine pulp!"

I love all of these old comics.

Yeah for sure, really loving Phantom gets Involved Old Timey Boxing.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Oh hey, you work at Universal Uclick? Sweet! I'd like to visit there someday.

I really gotta admire people who color comics for a living. In my experience, coloring comics is a pain in the rear end, which is I tend to prefer working in black and white.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 14, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I thought about editing this, but you know, I think it's good as is

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

You can do better, kangaroo lady :sever:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Annnnd there's every going-out-to-eat meal, ever, with my dad.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Was the joke here that the salesperson had a flower in her hair and the crowd stole it too, but they forgot to draw it? Or is she just striking a pose for no reason?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not sure there is a joke and she's just wiping away sweat. It is very nicely drawn however.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

What I'm getting is that if he was shot in the rear end, he'd want to start rubbing it all over everything.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They're married. He's saving them both money. What is people's obsession with hating on coupons?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Trent posted:

They're married. He's saving them both money. What is people's obsession with hating on coupons?
For real As long as you still tip as if you didn't have a coupon. I'd be mad at my husband if he didn't see if there was a coupon.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Holy poo poo one of the Six Chix can actually draw.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

I'm sure Defoe will just let this one go, right?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Selachian posted:

Pros and Cons

I'm sure Defoe will just let this one go, right?

First Scalia tribute already! Meehan's on the ball.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Heavenly Nostrils, Feb 8-13

More talent shows should incorporate headbutting things.

I can't imagine why your classmates think you're weird.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm not sure there is a joke and she's just wiping away sweat. It is very nicely drawn however.

Really Pants posted:

Holy poo poo one of the Six Chix can actually draw.

That reminds me. Does anyone remember the Nickelodeon show "Doug"? The Six Chix artist who drew that, Isabella Bannerman, was an animation artist on it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't care for those backwood hippie types.

Working Daze is going to have to take care of two children.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is self-aware.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

I thought about editing this, but you know, I think it's good as is

Something like this?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey! I have a very important colorist question re: Michael's hairline:

The gently caress?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County just wants to snuggle today. :3:

Peanuts (February 19, 1961)

Mopey Pete's Daydream Wonderland of Getting Ripped Off Forever

If they wanted to do this honestly, they could've had the next-of-kin of the Starbuck Jones creator show up with lawyers, because that's how it happened with Superman. But that's me thinking about actual dramatic possibilities, which is a mug's game when it comes to this strip.

And of course, the V-Day strip this year is about the prospect of dying in poverty. Have a caramel!

Crankshaft

Settling for a wrong-number e-card from your son because it means you might get surprise grandchildren. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Out Our Way (October 5-6, 1928)

At least it wasn't a hen house joke this time? :shrug:

Still four years from Prohibition repeal.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets D&D

The Phantom

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Wanamingo posted:

Pluggers

You can do better, kangaroo lady :sever:

Maybe I'm a plugger but is it romantic to waste money, does it mean more that you paid more? Do you express love in dollars?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

idk if i can eq in BSS so here is some text

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

buy plat and use the attachments feature

I've had platinum for years, no idea how this attachment thing works. I chose a file, and it sits there? No mention of it in the forums support that I can find.
:jerry: :fuckthis:

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Maybe I'm a plugger but is it romantic to waste money, does it mean more that you paid more? Do you express love in dollars?

:911: You're goddamn right we do :capitalism:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I've had platinum for years, no idea how this attachment thing works. I chose a file, and it sits there? No mention of it in the forums support that I can find.
:jerry: :fuckthis:

It's SA's own image hosting. Just bad. :v:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

White people fear the loss of their privilege so much they'll even hold back other species. A Good Cartoon.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think it's just kind of considered classless and ruins the mood to use a coupon at a romantic fancy-pants dinner. But then, I think anyplace where that might be an issue wouldn't be a place that takes coupons anyways.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

You don't need an air horn when you're dressed in your "notice me" clown suit.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
OH HEY IMGUR WORKS FOR ME AGAIN WHOO

Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

How far we've fallen. Fritz Ritz (1928)

Anyone up for Good Time Guy? (Milwaukee Journal, 1927, click for bigger)

wikipedia posted:

Good Time Guy was a humorous syndicated comic strip distributed by Metropolitan Newspaper Service from 1927 to 1929.
It was begun by prolific screenwriter Bill Conselman under the pen name of Frank Smiley, and well-established artist Mel Cummin.

Conselman's script was dense with "puns and complicated word-play".[3] There was a strong element of serendipity in the strip, with Green's naive missteps leading unexpectedly into good fortune.

He's a butt.

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Gay and Her Gang (click for big)

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

Happy Valentine's Day!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Rip Kirby

You should always keep a vigilant eye out just in case your English butler starts going weird. It's a constant risk.

Smoking corn silk? Is that a thing?

*Googling happens*

Whaaaaaaat

Hi, Doc! You look like poo poo! :haw:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alterian posted:

For real As long as you still tip as if you didn't have a coupon. I'd be mad at my husband if he didn't see if there was a coupon.

I usually tip a bit more when I have a discount, I'm still to the good and the server probably doesn't get the same from everyone.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 05/03/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

The writing is much more entertaining if you pronounce Hugh as (silent H) - Ugh.

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Captain Kosmos posted:

Something like this?

I see "Vietnam Vet" on the coffee mug, and a "MISSING" poster for Original Phil on the filing cabinet, but what's that say on the computer screen?

• Locked thread