Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Three Olives posted:

Yes but only because the end result was wealthy Republicans being forced to set dumpsters full of money on fire because they didn't have a way to say no when the right people asked while billionaires bypassed the party apparatus to play with elections like it was the $2 million dollar model train set in their basement.
So a Republican supermajority in the state house of a swing state where more votes are cast for Dems for Congress yet the GOP sends 5 more reps to Congress is like a water feature that powers a saw mill that actually saws off tiny chunks of wood that are then loaded into a waiting rail car. Nice.

And to make this relevant, there's a gerrymandering case in NC that has been appealed to the SCOTUS and the defendants, the GOP house that did said gerrymandering to place two sitting Dem Congresscritters in the same district because gently caress YOU, have applied for an emergency stay of the current districts until the election or at least until after the primary election in March. Losing Scalia in that decision would probably make it a 4-4, and SCOTuS may just punt it back because they lost a member and will be attending his funeral and don't have the time to deal with your requested stay of the decision of a lower court.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Did he die from being a fatty? Do they perform an autopsy?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
The best part is his legacy will be mostly all the social progress he failed to stop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ I hope he gets remembered fondly for his "but this will just open the door for THE GAYS to have more rights" dissent and the good it did as an argument by gay rights activists. :haw:

CannonFodder posted:

So a Republican supermajority in the state house of a swing state where more votes are cast for Dems for Congress yet the GOP sends 5 more reps to Congress is like a water feature that powers a saw mill that actually saws off tiny chunks of wood that are then loaded into a waiting rail car. Nice.

And to make this relevant, there's a gerrymandering case in NC that has been appealed to the SCOTUS and the defendants, the GOP house that did said gerrymandering to place two sitting Dem Congresscritters in the same district because gently caress YOU, have applied for an emergency stay of the current districts until the election or at least until after the primary election in March. Losing Scalia in that decision would probably make it a 4-4, and SCOTuS may just punt it back because they lost a member and will be attending his funeral and don't have the time to deal with your requested stay of the decision of a lower court.

Is there any realistic hope that that case could see Gerrymandering ruled unconstitutional if the SCOTUS hears it and a majority rules against NC's new districts?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

obammer done did it!

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/129888/leading-conspiracy-theory-antonin-scalias-death-obama-it

It's worth it to run down some of those twitter holes because the conservative hand-wringing at this is pretty hilarious. "Our backwards, piece-of-poo poo representative died! This will not bode well for us, backwards pieces-of-poo poo!" I agree. :toot:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am so saddened that our nation has lost this man and sad for his family. I admired both his devotion to conservatism and the constitution and his unwavering faith in the Almighty.He was also an intellectual giant. As a side note, if McConnell intends to stay in the Senate, he better make this stick.Conservatives need to blanket senators with ph calls making sure they know...if any republican senator crosses over and votes to confirm an Obama nomination, their senate career is over.We have the majority and we will not forget.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
aint gonna lie I dont want no Trump president but I will accept an Ivanka justice so long as she shuts up and votes like sotomeyer

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
To be fair, a man is dead. Vitriol aside the dude was an accomplished jurist. Should Chuck Grassley eat dirt I'd wave my hat a little bit before I ordered a round of Tullamore.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
And that's an elected official but come on

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there any realistic hope that that case could see Gerrymandering ruled unconstitutional if the SCOTUS hears it and a majority rules against NC's new districts?

There is no definition of gerrymandering outside of "district shapes that I personally do not like".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Roland Freisler was also an accomplished jurist.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"Deer dead" *gulp*

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ I hope he gets remembered fondly for his "but this will just open the door for THE GAYS to have more rights" dissent and the good it did as an argument by gay rights activists. :haw:

You would have to go to the SCOTUS thread and ask people who know a lot more about the subject than I do, I just know that I got home at 10PM, read the newspaper that said "NC Lawmakers prepare for emergency session" and it detailed how a case has been working its way up the appeals circuit that contests District 12 (the really snakey one) and how the current situation is "District Appeals Court says Fix That poo poo" and the defendants are appealing and asking for a stay from SCOTUS.

Then at 10:30 I turned on my computer and found out Scalia died and later realized the appeal and emergency stay may not happen. The SCOTUS thread regulars would know more about the reach of the specific lawsuit and the type of gerrymandering and I was a bit hyperbolic about it but to be fair the district in question, the one that goes from Charlotte to Raleigh along I-85, has been debated for ages.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

computer parts posted:

There is no definition of gerrymandering outside of "district shapes that I personally do not like".

Potter Stewart has an answer for that sort of problem:

Justice P-Stew posted:

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that

We have a word for this thing—gerrymandering—and reasonable people can generally agree when it's appropriate to name something with that word. The court could just roll with that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Squizzle posted:

We have a word for this thing—gerrymandering—and reasonable people can generally agree when it's appropriate to name something with that word. The court could just roll with that.

The issues w/ that though is that there are different reasons for gerrymandering. Like in Chicago there's a famous district that was made because Hispanics wanted a district of their own.

The other issue is that you're basically relying on challenges to the maps as your basis of law. So in other words, the status quo for maps. Making gerrymandering "illegal" will do about the same as today.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Squizzle posted:

Reasonable people could also agree that the Voting Rights Act was sanctioned by the Fourteenth Amendment and an essentially unanimous approval by both houses of Congress and the President, or that unlimited donations to super-PACs would create the appearance of corruption. But here we are anyway!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I love how the Obama Presidency has been nothing but trolls for conservatives.

Scalia dies while Obama is still President? Holy poo poo, that's worse than when Osama bin Laden's dead body was dropped into the ocean.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This means huge strides in LGBT rights with him dying. Specifically, the ADA court case regarding person's who are transgender that's winding it's way through the federal courts right now.

So yeah him dying is going to a lot of good. Hopefully.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

At the very least Fox News and AM radio is gonna be VEEEERY interesting for some time to come

I'll probably have to watch the highlights on the daily show with rookie guy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Imagine if Thomas were to just drop dead within the next few months. I know we've already gotten a literal gift from god but I'm going to be greedy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Imagine if Thomas were to just drop dead within the next few months. I know we've already gotten a literal gift from god but I'm going to be greedy.

we really should have been loading up the Long Dong Silver memes like South Korean counterbatteries along the parallel

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Onion Knight posted:

obammer done did it!

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/129888/leading-conspiracy-theory-antonin-scalias-death-obama-it

It's worth it to run down some of those twitter holes because the conservative hand-wringing at this is pretty hilarious. "Our backwards, piece-of-poo poo representative died! This will not bode well for us, backwards pieces-of-poo poo!" I agree. :toot:

Conspiracy theorists are getting lazy if they're pulling 3/5 of their tweets from a single account. Can you seriously not find enough people saying dumb poo poo on twitter?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not gonna lie. Seeing the tweets from GOP politicians calling him a great constitutional scholar (when it helped his personal political views) and the best SCOTUS Justice are making me feel a lot less bad about feeling happy when I heard he died.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
so can we just clone the notorious RBG and just staff the supreme court with her yet? has technology advanced far enough in this our time of need?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

mooyashi posted:

To be fair, a man is dead. Vitriol aside the dude was an accomplished jurist. Should Chuck Grassley eat dirt I'd wave my hat a little bit before I ordered a round of Tullamore.

A man who gleefully advocated for torture, the execution of innocents, and wanted to shove gay people so far back into the closet they might as well have been tie racks. I hope the devil stuffs him in the same dust infested coal furnace Margaret Thatcher is in so his black heart can keep hell warm for eons to come.

inkblot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 14, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bedshaped posted:

Did he die from being a fatty? Do they perform an autopsy?

Horse cum. Gallons and gallons of horse cum. He popped like a zit on a flabby arse.

Tragic really.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Welp, RIP SCOTUS appointments ever being not-broken again. After a 25 year courageous fight against all odds, it's only fitting that Scalia (R-DC) be the one to shoot you in the face.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So what happens if Ginsburg also retires now, let's say on April 1.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Kilroy posted:

Then the conservative wing of the court would have a 4-3 majority.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Alan Smithee posted:

wait Scalia was in Deadpool what?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. :hf:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Ginsburg has consistently said she's not going to retire any time soon because there's no way in hell Obama would ever be able to appoint someone remotely like her to replace her.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Scalia's final revenge would be Ginsburg dying before June so that all the pending terrible 5-4 decisions that would be voided by his death will be un-voided.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Scalia wrote the wittiest opinions, notwithstanding their appalling substance.

Hopefully the upcoming nomination fight is the Ex-Lax that causes Republicans to poo poo their electoral bed. There's going to be some unprecedented constitutional maneuvering over the next appointment. Cruz will take point on the right, with Obama occupying the center.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The couple opinions I've read for him were actually kind of shocking in how bitchy and unprofessional he was. He was a strong writer obviously but the tone of it when he was on the wrong side was like a teenage Starbucks barista whining that she had to work through her coffee break. Not really the level of decorum you'd expect from a judgment from the US supreme court

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ranter posted:

Tea baggers aren't rational. Nor are their voters.

This is the absolutely salient point when it comes to the right.

Nothing makes sense on that side of the aisle. Nothing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LeeMajors posted:

This is the absolutely salient point when it comes to the right.

Nothing makes sense on that side of the aisle. Nothing.

It's a party predicated on the idea that in order to demonstrate your commitment to rational self interest, you must unwaveringly vote against your own interests.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Al! posted:

It's a party predicated on the idea that in order to demonstrate your commitment to rational self interest, you must unwaveringly vote against your own interests.

So altruism at its core?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gohmak posted:

So altruism at its core?

I guess the destruction through incompetence and neglect of America's economy, infrastructure, core political values, and culture is a kind of global altruism when looked at it from an outside perspective.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The music track I've selected to accompany my somber mourning of Scalia's passing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYNuD4CwlI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

terrorist ambulance posted:

The couple opinions I've read for him were actually kind of shocking in how bitchy and unprofessional he was. He was a strong writer obviously but the tone of it when he was on the wrong side was like a teenage Starbucks barista whining that she had to work through her coffee break. Not really the level of decorum you'd expect from a judgment from the US supreme court

This is unfair, that barista deserves her break.

• Locked thread