Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Verranicus posted:

Can anyone suggest some LPers that play strategy games and don't have insufferable voices? The harder the games the better. I've also got a strange itch to see someone LP the Advance Wars series, but every one I've checked out has had manbabies reading the dialogue in character and I'm just interested in the actual strategy bits.
There was a goon that put up streams of multiple AW games on youtube pretty recently. You reminded me of this, but I've forgotten who it was. I'd suggest watching those as soon as someone else chimes in with who was actually doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Crumps Brother posted:

There was a goon that put up streams of multiple AW games on youtube pretty recently. You reminded me of this, but I've forgotten who it was. I'd suggest watching those as soon as someone else chimes in with who was actually doing it.

Interested to find out about this.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Crumps Brother posted:

You're probably thinking of TheVoiceOfDog, though his streams are on hold right now. He's finished with Days of Ruin and is like halfway through AW2.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Nihilarian posted:

You're probably thinking of TheVoiceOfDog, though his streams are on hold right now.
Yup! That was it. Thanks for the refresher. They were incredibly entertaining for a number of reasons. I'd recommend them to anyone wanting VLPs of strategy games.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I finished Days of Ruin, now I'm in the middle of AW2. Streams are currently on hold but they'll start up again eventually. They're pretty chill streams for the most part, but probably good for falling asleep to :v:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

thevoiceofdog posted:

I finished Days of Ruin, now I'm in the middle of AW2. Streams are currently on hold but they'll start up again eventually. They're pretty chill streams for the most part, but probably good for falling asleep to :v:

Ah, I'm actually already subbed to you, hah. I think I even saw the LPs before, but just wasn't in the mood at the time. I'll be sure to give it a watch.

EDIT: While I'm here, suggestions for any LPers that are more soft-spoken and don't feel the need to be over the top wacky in their commentary would be great. Particularly people who do longer series and don't up and abandon a project when the next shiny game comes out. I prefer slower paced games that aren't story heavy, strategy/sims are my favourites.

Some people I'm fond of, to give you an idea of what I tend to go for, would be Quill18, Arumba, Lionheartx10, Legendoftotalwar, Filthyrobot, and someone like Northernlion is about as excitable as I like.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 11, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Verranicus posted:

Ah, I'm actually already subbed to you, hah. I think I even saw the LPs before, but just wasn't in the mood at the time. I'll be sure to give it a watch.

EDIT: While I'm here, suggestions for any LPers that are more soft-spoken and don't feel the need to be over the top wacky in their commentary would be great. Particularly people who do longer series and don't up and abandon a project when the next shiny game comes out.

Some people I'm fond of, to give you an idea of what I tend to go for, would be Quill18, Arumba, Lionheartx10, Legendoftotalwar, Filthyrobot, and someone like Northernlion is about as excitable as I like.

Go watch Grimwit, who goes by NatchEvil on YouTube. He's pretty chill.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
edit: Weird that this post showed up after my second attempt. My bad.

AMReese fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

My post seems to have been lost in the board, or at least I'm not seeing it. I'll post again in the hopes that it does get seen, though.

If you want a good strategy VLP, you could watch generalwo's LP of two of the campaigns from Napoleon: Total War. He has a good voice, and the way he plays is explained by him and interesting to watch. It's just a shame that he stopped doing them years ago and only did those two. I would have liked to have seen him play some of the newer Total War games or even other series' entirely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/generalwo

Edit: By the way, I haven't noticed, but is anyone doing an LP of "This War of Mine"?

AMReese fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 12, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're even slightly interested in B-movie style over the top action with constant explosions sprinkled with bits of lovingly self-aware parody, Marlow Briggs has got the game for you. Also featuring Steve Blum as a snarky Mayan ghost and Patrick Stewart Fleve as your tour guide to ancient ruins, eeevil death machines and helicopters crashing by the dozens.
It's one of the best games no one knows about. And it'll only get more ridiculous as it goes on.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Can anyone recommend a good play/stream through for any of the following!

Life is strange
Game of thrones
The fall
Five nights at Freddy's 4
SOMA
Invisible Inc

Thanks in advance!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ally_1986 posted:

Can anyone recommend a good play/stream through for any of the following!

Life is strange
Game of thrones
The fall
Five nights at Freddy's 4
SOMA
Invisible Inc

Thanks in advance!
Soma: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764000
Life is Strange: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750848
And slowbeef did an alright stream of the first half of The Fall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvMasfAIqa8

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone remember a LP of a game in which you play golf with frogs? I cant remember who did it or the name of the game. Any help is appreciated.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ZeusCannon posted:

Does anyone remember a LP of a game in which you play golf with frogs? I cant remember who did it or the name of the game. Any help is appreciated.

Are you thinking of the "Frolf is Frog Golf" game? I believe that was Ribbit King, Pins did the LP, and he deleted the videos for reasons that may or may not have been clear to anyone at any time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:frolf:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Oh thats a shame. I wondered why I couldnt find them again.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Are you thinking of the "Frolf is Frog Golf" game? I believe that was Ribbit King, Pins did the LP, and he deleted the videos for reasons that may or may not have been clear to anyone at any time.
twice, I believe

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
So I just binged through Dr. Kill's "Let's play Majora's Mask/OOT Super Wrong" videos as well as the Zelda OOT Chaos Mode videos that were attached to FaerieFortune's Blind OOT LP, and was wondering if there are any other good glitch showcase, speed-run based, or "Let's Break" style LPs I should check out?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SWMadness posted:

So I just binged through Dr. Kill's "Let's play Majora's Mask/OOT Super Wrong" videos as well as the Zelda OOT Chaos Mode videos that were attached to FaerieFortune's Blind OOT LP, and was wondering if there are any other good glitch showcase, speed-run based, or "Let's Break" style LPs I should check out?

Two of my favorite 'let's break' LPs:

Pokemon Blue
Final Fantasy VI

They're both focused on screenshots, but they're informative and hilarious.

edit: Whoops, forgot another one similar to your request: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. This one's a video LP wherein he does things completely out of order.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

SWMadness posted:

These are both screenshot LPs but, There's a Pokemon Blue LP that revolves around breaking it since it's a pretty horribly programmed game.
There's another one that's done with Final Fantasy VI, the SNES version.

edit: ^:argh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Don't have links handy as I'm phone posting, but Artix later did a Wind Waker Chaos Mode, FPzero is doing a speedrun of Metroid Prime when his current LP finishes it's first run, and if you're OK with screenshots of JRPGs Elephantgun broke Final Fantasy 6 and Metroixer Pokemon Blue.

E:fb on some points. Also if you only watched the OoT Chaos Mode videos in Fae's thread I think the last stream or so was only in a separate thread Artix later posted.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SWMadness posted:

How much of OOT Chaos Mode did you see? because Artix, Argate, and Fae did a full LP of it. They also tackled Wind Waker Chaos Mode, which isn't as mechanically random as Ocarina's was, but still managed to get even more hosed up in awesome ways, to the point where it had its own Bingo card of potential glitches.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SWMadness posted:

was wondering if there are any other good glitch showcase, speed-run based, or "Let's Break" style LPs I should check out?

I liked this Dishonored one by perochialjoe.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Agreed, that Dishonored LP is magnificent.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nidoking posted:

Pins did the LP, and he deleted the videos for reasons that may or may not have been clear to anyone at any time.

The reason is way better than anyone could imagine.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

ZeusCannon posted:

i'm sorry

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SWMadness posted:

If you don't mind YouTube LPs, Swordless Link's speedrun for Wind Waker with glitches was pretty darn good

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SWMadness posted:

Some of my favorites are Just A Friend and Sinatrapod's Let's Play & Break Spyro series.

Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

toddy. posted:

The reason is way better than anyone could imagine.

...Is it because Dryzen really did kill him during the Flywrench LP? :ohdear:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SWMadness posted:

Uhhh what was that Gameboy LoZ Link To The Past game that someone did in reverse order and pretended everything was normal?

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

nine-gear crow posted:

pins may be dead but he will forever live on as :brnsndcstl:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GuavaMoment posted:

Uhhh what was that Gameboy LoZ Link To The Past game that someone did in reverse order and pretended everything was normal?

LoZ Link's Awakening is the one you're thinking of. A Link to the Past is a SNES game that I think he did in order. (Though admittedly I haven't watched it yet. Too many LPs, too little time.)

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

uhhh no of course not

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't seen it myself yet as I'm playing through the game on my own, but CannibalK9, known for his excellent LP of the Void, has done an LP of the Talos Principle. It requires archives, but it's on youtube.

Thanks for the rec, this is exactly the LP I was looking for for this game.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Orange Fluffy Sheep's breaking of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I interpreted "break" as glitches, if you mean the difficulty curve just about anything by OFS that's not an LLG in someone else' thread is a good bet.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

How much of OOT Chaos Mode did you see? because Artix, Argate, and Fae did a full LP of it. They also tackled Wind Waker Chaos Mode, which isn't as mechanically random as Ocarina's was, but still managed to get even more hosed up in awesome ways, to the point where it had its own Bingo card of potential glitches.

Just a note for Wind Waker chaos mode, if you're photosensitive at all then please be careful, the game likes to flash colours at us quite rapidly and at best its really hard to look at, at worst it'll give you a seizure. If you're worried about it, turn youtube annotations on because Artix was super kind and put up warnings for the flashing colours in them, just to give people warning!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Niggurath posted:

And slowbeef did an alright stream of the first half of The Fall

Thanks for reminding me, I do have the second half but I never published it. Will do so today.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

I interpreted "break" as glitches, if you mean the difficulty curve just about anything by OFS that's not an LLG in someone else' thread is a good bet.
He exploits the game by using a unintentional feature that allows him to make the game a cakewalk. I consider that breaking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I don't think "using the game mechanics in the way they work" is what most people consider an unintended feature. :shrug: