Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You can get just the roller without the cutter and it's like $64 on amazon atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Thoht posted:

sorry I meant the combo

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

rgocs posted:

Is it really risotto though? I thought you needed to add stock bit by bit and constantly stir to work the starch out of the rice and get the creamy texture.

Yep that's one if those kitchen myths. The starch that makes it creamy is on the outside of the rice grains and will thicken the risotto with or without constant stirring. Lots of folks have investigated this (including Kenji I believe).

My method for a basic risotto:

Sweat shallots in butter, add rice and toast just until you get a nutty smell. Deglaze with white wine, add twice as much stock as you did rice. Stir. Cover and bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes then quick release pressure. Stir vigorously for a minute and add grated Parmesan and butter, season to taste. Keep on heat if it's too thin or add stock if it's too thick.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CHARLES posted:

I really want the pasta rollerattachment but gently caress paying the $150+ dollars for an attachment that I always see it listed for

Mrs. Squashy has been bugging me for one, but yeah, gently caress $150.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Thoht posted:

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

If you get a beater blade make sure to get the actual Beater Blade brand one and not the official KitchenAid one. The BB one is a much better design and is angled to keep stuff under the blade, where the KA one has a tendency to push stuff up to the top of the bowl above the blade.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My method for a basic risotto:

Sweat shallots in butter, add rice and toast just until you get a nutty smell. Deglaze with white wine, add twice as much stock as you did rice. Stir. Cover and bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes then quick release pressure. Stir vigorously for a minute and add grated Parmesan and butter, season to taste. Keep on heat if it's too thin or add stock if it's too thick.

I have never tasted risotto before, but this sounds like something I need to make.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I have never tasted risotto before, but this sounds like something I need to make.

Even if you don't make it yourself, that's definitely something you need to change.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
So my go-to 12" skillet just got a gouge in the non stick surface. I've been contemplating carbon steel because of course I would. How does it compare to aluminum as far as even heat distribution?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I replaced my electric pressure cooker with a stovetop model a year or two back. I like it a lot better, it's not as bulky and requires only a little more babysitting than an electric model.

My favorite thing to make in is risotto. From start to finish, you can make it in less than 30 minutes, maybe closer to 20 (only 6 of which is cooking at pressure).

but.... you.... can cook risotto in a normal pan... in 30 minutes? :confused:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's hands off, which is a huge plus for making cocktails.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thoht posted:

I like the pasta roller a lot. Supposedly the meat grinder is ok if for smaller scale batches but the sausage stuffer sucks. Lots of people like getting a beater blade.

When I bought mine a few years ago, it had a mail in rebate for either the salad shooter or meat grinder attachment. I went with the grinder. I don't use it as much as I should, but when I do it's worked well. Probably a little too small for a dear hunter that makes their own sausages, but it's been fine for me when I grind up a large hunk of meat into hamburgers.

Thoht posted:

I've been wanting the pasta attachment for awhile but the $150 has been a turn off. I haven't made my own pasta before but I guess all I would need is the roller? Then get something like a cheap rolling pasta cutter?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Using two hands to guide the pasta is quite nice with the KA attachment opposed to a crank.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
After pondering the advice I got here and going back to measure the pots and frying pans, I pulled the trigger on that Zwilling TruClad 10-pc cookware set on sale for $300 CAD. Happy with the sizes so far, both the 8" and the 10" frying pan have already been successfully used and even the small 1L saucepan has been used almost every day. I compared the 10" fry-pan and AllClad 12" side by side at the store and the cooking surface appeared to be almost the same, it did seem the extra inches of the AllClad go into the slanted edges, which I guess would work better for sliding things off the pan.

On the Kitchen Aid mixer accessories talk, we got the slicers/shredder set with our mixer, we tried using them once and were quite disappointed with them, they were not sharp at all and seemed to just mush stuff up. We later saw a similar set at a friend's house and they were quite sharp, we thought we might have gotten a dud, but theirs had been bought in France, so I don't know if they are made differently for the Canadian market?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Kitchenaid 6qt Pro arrived today! Gonna have to bake something fun tomorrow with my girlfriend. Because I hate money, are any of the kitchenaid accessories worth purchasing or are they all just kind afterthoughts that don't really work well enough to justify?

The ice-cream maker works well. Came free with ours though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Oh yeah I have the ice cream maker as well. It works great.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Meat grinder and pasta roller attachments work fine. Have a hard time to justify the cost, but I guess the family involvement making several 8 feet sheets of dough for ravioli on holidays is pretty neat.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Oh dear lord I'm going to get so fat

EDIT: That's in reference to the ice cream maker

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah it's great to have and bad at the same time. Though I guess you could make a sorbet.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Speaking of the KA pasta attachment(s), would I lose much by going with the Marcato 150?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I only really have room in my life for one fine mesh strainer, what should I be looking for? Rounded bottom or chinois-style? What's the smallest it can be without me regretting it frequently?

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Am i broken? I handled a few Shun knives the other day and they feel like there's no substance to them. Is it me, or are they really that light?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="456494138"]
Am i broken? I handled a few Shun knives the other day and they feel like there's no substance to them. Is it me, or are they really that light?

Japanese knives in general are very light compared to western knives because they are much thinner. For example a Wusthof classic 8-inch chef's knife weighs 8.5oz while my 9-inch Konosuke Ginsan gyuto weighs 5.75oz.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Japanese knives in general are very light compared to western knives because they are much thinner. For example a Wusthof classic 8-inch chef's knife weighs 8.5oz while my 9-inch Konosuke Ginsan gyuto weighs 5.75oz.

Thinner but just as strong because glorious nippon Quentin Tarantino folded steel right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

VelociBacon posted:

Thinner but just as strong because glorious nippon Quentin Tarantino folded steel right?

While the steel is significantly harder it's also more brittle as a result so you have to be more gentle with most japanese knives to avoid chipping and other damage, though it still takes quite a bit to chip most knives, i.e. trying to cut through bone and such. Both types of knife have their place in the kitchen though my pick for a western Chef's Knife would be something like a Victorinox Fibrox which is very tough but also fairly light at 6.5oz for the 8-inch Chef's Knife. For cutting through bone and such a cleaver is probably your best bet, it has the heft, softer steel and thickness that suits that task.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For cutting through bone and such a cleaver is probably your best bet, it has the heft, softer steel and thickness that suits that task.

Buy a cleaver. Scour your local large-city chinatown for good hefty cleavers with fine edges, or just get the CCK cleaver. My cleaver has become my go-to for most every task that doesn't require delicacy or precision. Also it is really very satisfying to turn a whole chicken into two half chickens with a single stroke.

E: I picked mine up for $15, so I feel no qualms about basically using it as a sharp hammer.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 20, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Food savers and other vacuum sealers. Any recommendations, don't bother, or other advice? Costco has the Fm2000 or something for $60 and it seems like not a bad deal and good for meat storage.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

El Jebus posted:

Food savers and other vacuum sealers. Any recommendations, don't bother, or other advice? Costco has the Fm2000 or something for $60 and it seems like not a bad deal and good for meat storage.

If you have a chest freezer, eat a lot of meat, and/or have Costco card I think they're worth it. You definitely get a better product when you pull something out of the bottom of the freezer several months down the line. Huge trays of Italian sausage on sale? Yes, please, I'll take four. Also kickass if you have a vegetable garden or can get cheap, local produce during part of the year. The closer to the garden the beans are when they're frozen the better they taste.

Ours has the accessory for vacuum sealing canning jars and doing 30 minute marinades. I'm underwhelmed - the canning jars sometimes lose seal over the winter. NBD with dehydrated fruit if you're keeping an eye on things but still annoying. Similar problem with bagged dry food, you have to watch for punctures if the contents have edges. I haven't used the marinade feature yet, so far I've been able to get things together the night before if something needs to soak.

We had a little Decosonic several years ago, but it had constant problems with its seals. Not sure if it was a design problem or what. The Foodsaver is more reliable and vacuums better, but part of this might be the Foodsaver bags. Their design makes vacuuming more effective. They're not cheap but Costco sometimes has them on for a good price. Cabellas might have a cheaper alternative and there are Youtube videos showing tricks to make vacuuming regular polyethylene bags more effective.

If I could go back a year I'd probably get another Foodsaver without the bells and whistles, like the one above. The bags are expensive enough that I try to limit their use to high value contents. Bit like bubble jet printers, now that I think about it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

El Jebus posted:

There was a discussion of this about about two pages ago and my opinion is that there's not much difference between the cheapest consumer-grade sealer and a higher-end one, until you start talking about chamber vac sealers (which start around US$600).

Hexigrammus posted:

The Foodsaver is more reliable and vacuums better, but part of this might be the Foodsaver bags. Their design makes vacuuming more effective. They're not cheap but Costco sometimes has them on for a good price.
Don't buy sealer bags, buy bulk rolls instead. You can get the material in pretty much any thickness and texture you want for a fraction of the cost and you can make bags whatever size you want. The only functional difference is that you have to seal both ends instead of just one, but that's just a couple of seconds apiece so unless you're sealing poo poo on an industrial scale or you're phenomenally lazy it's not going to make a difference.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

This is the roll of vacuum bags I got and I have yet to puncture or otherwise have them fail on me. Cheap as poo poo, too, for 50 feet worth.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Midniter posted:

This is the roll of vacuum bags I got and I have yet to puncture or otherwise have them fail on me. Cheap as poo poo, too, for 50 feet worth.

Yeah, exactly which vendor on Amazon is the best deal varies (I buy the 11x50 2-packs http://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Bargains-Vacuum-Sealer-Storage/dp/B00I1OM7TO), but the 3rd-party rolls are great and always cheaper than anything foodsaver offers.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It looks like FoodSaver has a 20% off coupon on a few of their least expensive sealers on Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V2244-Vacuum-Sealing-System/dp/B0044XDA3S
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U738ZE

Not considering the upfront cost of the actual sealer, buying bulk rolls of vacuum bags seems like it'd be less expensive than ziplock bags (and probably simpler to freeze stuff with) if you're doing a decent amount of freezing, is that accurate?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes, and you can re-use them if you make the bags longer than necessary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wait, people use ziplock bags with vacuum sealers?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait, people use ziplock bags with vacuum sealers?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure they're saying that vacuum bags are cheaper than Ziplock bags in the long run.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Subjunctive posted:

If I only really have room in my life for one fine mesh strainer, what should I be looking for? Rounded bottom or chinois-style? What's the smallest it can be without me regretting it frequently?
I think the rounded kind are more versatile. Chinois are good for straining liquids out of chunky things, but they get piled up in the bottom.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

neonnoodle posted:

I think the rounded kind are more versatile. Chinois are good for straining liquids out of chunky things, but they get piled up in the bottom.

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Rounded is more versatile, BUT the chinois style does have its uses because it has slightly more surface area than the rounded kind, and is slightly better for straining things that get clogged easily (like stocks)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think my chinois has two layers of mesh. It strains finer particles out than any of my rounded ones.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Speaking of the KA pasta attachment(s), would I lose much by going with the Marcato 150?

Getting out the big KA is a big pain. I got the Marcato 150 and the motor (was cheaper at the time to get them both separately, was like $120USD total delivered, so cheaper than the KA attachment) and it FREAKING ROCKS.

I now make fresh pasta once a week. Owns all the bones.

If you get the 120 volt pastadrive you even get a UL mandated "pasta pusher."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I think my chinois has two layers of mesh. It strains finer particles out than any of my rounded ones.

Isn't that a bitch to clean though?