Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Its not to me.

Or to anyone that knows what they're talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy

e: dandy snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tithin posted:

I've always understood a Dandy to mean a well dressed (male) fool or charlatan

Or from Dandenong

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The effete dandy postured histrionically

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
"I don't understand why that word can hurt people so I'll keep using it" - an internet person of colour

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

asio posted:

"I don't understand why that word can hurt people so I'll keep using it" - an internet person of colour

You forgot queer. Now do you want to continue to lecture me about the hurtfulness of words? Because I can tell you from >personal< experience that there are shades of grey in this poo poo. Getting called a human being is way less hurtful than getting called a friend of the family. I've been called both of those words in a threatening manner, have you? Why are you even talking about this again, asio?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Have some poll results before this thread turns into a loving tumblr or something

quote:

A summer marred by ministerial crises and the prospect of a higher GST has taken the shine off the Turnbull government, sending the Coalition's share of the vote below that achieved by Tony Abbott at the 2013 election.

A four point two-party preferred slump to 52-48 still has the government winning but is set to dispel any lingering early election barracking from within the government. Just one in five voters (22 per cent) would look favourably on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull running to the polls before his full term is served. Mr Turnbull has told his party to be on guard for a snap poll should key legislation be blocked in the Senate.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...214-gmtnd1.html

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Jumpingmanjim posted:

What about Space Dandy?

He's a dandy guy, in space

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Have some poll results before this thread turns into a loving tumblr or something

4 point slump over a period when nobody pays attention to politics.

Will be interesting to see the next one.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

You forgot queer. Now do you want to continue to lecture me about the hurtfulness of words? Because I can tell you from >personal< experience that there are shades of grey in this poo poo. Getting called a human being is way less hurtful than getting called a friend of the family. I've been called both of those words in a threatening manner, have you? Why are you even talking about this again, asio?

Just thought you should know your catchphrase reinforces structural discrimination, isn't funny, and doesn't make sense. Can see the topic hurts you so I'll stop posting on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
code:
            .--.--.--.--.                                          
          /  /  /  /   |\       LET'S  
         /  /  /  /   /  \    MURDER
        |            |>  /    BAD                              
        |            |  /   PRIME                             
        |              /  MINISTER
        |             / AND
        | __        .' ASSOCIATES                               
       /          .'                                              
      /          /                                                
     /          /                                                 
    /           '                                                 
   /           /                                                  
  /           /                                                   
 /           /                                                    
'           /                                                     
           /

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We're the dandy highwaymen

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Before I interact with anyone I check with Auspol what is an acceptable word to use.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

Before I interact with anyone I check with Auspol what is an acceptable word to use.

Please tell me more about how you think "PC" is ruining Australian culture

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

Laserface posted:

Did Siri stop responding to you after repeated attempts at seeking an answer as to how to be racist without people picking up on it?

Just sayin'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

gay picnic defence posted:

using tumblr as a derogatory term is problematic hth

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

lol what culture more like.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Honestly I thought Australian culture was being really racist to non-white people and pretending to be this carefree sporting nation but actually we are fat and lazy and drunk

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Recoome posted:

Please tell me more about how you think "PC" is ruining Australian culture

Isn't Australian culture just that sentiment + scoff.gif? Without PC having gone mad we wouldn't know what to do with ourselves.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Freedom is dead.

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/698833750780743680?s=09

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Laserface aka MajorDisgrace is just trying to find someone to entertain him on this here day, don't be too harsh!

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Wasn't Latika off to some cushy overseas job?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Redcordial posted:

Laserface aka MajorDisgrace is just trying to find someone to entertain him on this here day, don't be too harsh!

you're really bad at the posting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EvilElmo posted:

Wasn't Latika off to some cushy overseas job?

UK correspondent or something I think?

She still keeps up to date on Australian stuff

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Laserface posted:

you're really bad at the posting.

Thanks for proving my point beyond nothing else, I may sleep well tonight.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I try to avoid the Herald Sun in the break room, but it was open to page three and I was greeted with this poo poo which made me so mad I tore the page out.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 14, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

that is some horrifying poo poo right there

i mean it's on the level of "heh, primitive savages. we are exterminating them for their own good" level

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I like the assertion that 'people smugglers' really give a poo poo if the boats make it or not as they take money for putting people on them, not whether they get here. Desperate people aren't going to read too much into the policy details.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
historically if people called you a foppish dandy it was code for poofter, hth

Definition of fop in English:
noun

A man who is concerned with his clothes and appearance in an affected and excessive way.
EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
dandy, beau, poseur, glamour boy, man about town, bright young thing, rake;
French boulevardier, petit-maître
informal swell, toff, snappy dresser, sharp dresser, natty dresser, trendy, pretty boy
archaic coxcomb, popinjay, peacock, buck

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I try to avoid the Herald Sun in the break room, but it was open to page three and I was greeted with this poo poo which made me so made I tore the page out.

The racism is now running on an internal logic unaware of its absurdity. As if a gesture of humanity is going to ruin all that hard work of torturing children.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Negligent posted:

noun

A man who is concerned with his clothes and appearance in an affected and excessive way.
EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS
informal swell, toff, snappy dresser, sharp dresser, natty dresser, trendy, pretty boy

You do understand that you've listed the synonym "rake" (which basically means womaniser) whilst telling me it means "poofter" (here's a hint: don't use that word, you putrid pile of refuse)

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
MT doesn't even fit the dictionary definition of fop, before you even go on to consider the colloquial.

You're dumb and wrong, and being a big babby about being called out on it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
tell me more about definitions

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I just read that Tim WIlson's Salary was $400000 a year. That makes me pretty depressed.

Also, how is Malcolm Turnbull a fop? I mean, he's rich, but that's not the same.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Can't say Malcolm without saying "cum, Mal".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That Tim Wilson resigning thing isn't news is it? I remember reading something last week from here that he was going to do it, and a tweet from a (female?) politician that it was time to shut down the human rights commission?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Recoome posted:

Can't say Malcolm without saying "cum, Mal".

Malcolm rhymes with Malcum

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The news is that he's doing it now, it's all election gearing. When is the latest the election can happen?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
people smugglers evil plan to raise gst threatens mom and pop investors

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Negligent posted:

noun

EXAMPLE SENTENCES
SYNONYMS

Except it hasn't. Can you give an example of fop or dandy being used as code for gay? Because it doesn't mean that and never has. Not a single one of your synonyms means gay either. Seriously just read the Wikipedia articles on either term for a start, a dandy is one who places great importance in dressing well and having sophisticated tastes and hobbies. Fop is a pejorative meaning the person is as above in only the most superficial ways. A pretentious, upper class twit in other words.

You're the one using the word incorrectly, and if you can show me to be wrong I'll buy you plats or something.

katlington posted:

The effete dandy postured histrionically

So you added "effete" because dandy doesn't imply that on its own? What point were you making?

I know this seems silly to waste so much time on this, but use language correctly please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

that is some horrifying poo poo right there

i mean it's on the level of "heh, primitive savages. we are exterminating them for their own good" level
aka. Our indigenous reconciliation strategy?

May I suggest an alternative to the apparently problematic slogans?

Ditch the Rich

You're Welcome.

-/-

Arsetralian don't click http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...a41cb427712ef93

quote:

Cunneen puts committee on notice over leaked transcripts THE AUSTRALIAN FEBRUARY 15, 2016 12:00AM Chris Merritt Legal Affairs Editor Sydney

Lawyers for prosecutor Margaret Cunneen SC, above, have issued warnings.

Prosecutor Margaret Cunneen SC has warned every member of a committee of the NSW parliament that they risk criminal penalti­es if they release details of her taped telephone calls, which she says have been unlawfully supplied to the committee. Her lawyers issued the warning after an extract from a transcript of the phone taps was leaked to Sydney newspapers on Friday soon after it was given to the committee­ by the Independ­ent Commission Against Corruption. “Every member of the parliamentary committee has both a responsibility and a statutory duty not to disseminate or leak any transcript or audio recording of the taped conversation provided to him or her by ICAC,” the letter says. “It is a criminal offence.”

The letter, which has also been sent to NSW Premier Mike Baird, accuses ICAC of committing a criminal breach of the ICAC Act by providing the material to the committee. It gives notice that the incident is being referred to federal and state police for a possible criminal investigation. This is sharply at odds with statements by ICAC commissioner Megan Latham and is set to complicate the task confronting the committee, which is seeking advice of its own on whether it is legally entitled to receive and publici­se the telephone intercepts. The committee, which meets today, is also expected to consider calls from ICAC’s independent inspector­ David Levine for an investiga­tion of the leak, which he has described as appalling.

Soon after it came to light, committee chairman Damien Tudehope said: “On the face of it, it is my belief that it is a contempt of parliament.” The day before, Mr Tudehope had told a public hearing of his committee that had been presented with the telephone intercepts: “I would urge those members of the media not to publish material that is the subject of the direction that the material not be publicly released at this time.” Ms Latham gave the committee her legal advice and said ICAC was entitled to hand over the telephone intercepts, which she referred to as “TI product”, because it would not breach the Telecommunications Interception Act. “These proceedings qualify as exempt proceedings under the TI Act and that is the basis upon which we seek to make this materi­al available to the committee,” Ms Latham said. In written submissions, she urged the committee to make the intercepts public because it was in the public interest and “failure to do so will unfairly damage and undermine public confidence in the commission”.

However, the letter from Ms Cunneen’s lawyers, Cockburn & Co, takes a different view of the law. It says protecting public confidence in ICAC or the reputation of its officers is not a proper purpose for the publication of materia­l, which includes phone conversations of private citizens, and is not a proper exercise of the agency’s functions or powers. It says section 111 of the ICAC Act imposes criminal penalties on ICAC officers who divulge inform­ation obtained during their duties for purposes that are not connected with the functions of the statute. “There are limited exceptions to the general secrecy restraint under s. 111 of ICAC Act ... None of those exceptions can legitimately have any application to the inform­ation which has been provided to the parliamentary committee and now leaked to the press,” the letter says. “You are hereby on notice of our client’s contention that the officer or officers of ICAC who provided this material to the parliame­ntary committee has contravened section 111 of the ICAC Act and has thus committed a criminal offence.”

The telephone intercepts were one of the key elements in ICAC’s failed inquiry into what Ms Cunneen was alleged to have said after a traffic accident involving Sophia Tilley, her son’s girlfriend. That inquiry, known as Operation Hale, was terminated after the High Court ruled that the allegat­ion against Ms Cunneen, if proved, would not amount to corruption and was therefore outside ICAC’s jurisdiction. The intercepts have already been considered by NSW Solicitor-General Michael Sexton SC and Victoria’s Chief Crown Prosecutor, Gavin Silbert QC, who concluded there was no basis for criminal proceedings. In an article said to be based on a leaked transcript of the intercepts, The Sydney Morning Herald has quoted Ms Cunneen as telling a smash repairer she had advised Ms Tilley to fake chest pains. “My only reservation, between you and me, is that that naughty girl had alcohol had, oh no that’s all right, I can cover that ... But she had drunk, she’s on her P plates. But it had been some time ago which is why I sent her the message to start having chest pains and get the ambulance because it’s bought her a few more hours,” the article says.

ICAC had refused to provide the intercepts to Mr Levine, a former judge of the NSW Supreme Court, who obtained them independently from the Australian Crime Commission. He produced a report in December on ICAC’s handling of Operation Hale, in which he accused it of abuse of power and maladministration. After the High Court found ICAC had exceeded its jurisdiction, parliament changed the ICAC Act. The agency’s jurisdiction is now smaller than Ms ­Latham believed when she launched the Cunneen inquiry. The letter from Ms Cunneen’s lawyers notes that Ms Cunneen is acutely aware that the majority of the members of the parliament­ary committee understand their responsibilities and she regrets the need to write to them because most would be entirely innocent and would be “sufficiently decent and fair minded not to be complicit” in the leak. “Nevertheless, it is necessary for our client to demand, and she hereby does demand, that each member of the parliamentary committee refrain from directly or indirectly providing any audio or transcript of the taped conversation, or the substance of it, to any journalist or any other person­,” the letter says. It says disclosure of the telephone intercepts has caused prejudice against the prosecutor that cannot be remedied. “The imputation deliberately put forward by the ICAC is that, after all, despite the High Court confirming that ICAC did not have the jurisdiction to conduct Operation Hale and despite our client being cleared of unlawful conduct by the Solicitor-General on advice from an independent and eminent Victorian criminal lawyer, that somehow she is nevertheless guilty of corrupt conduct or some other offence. There is an apprehension that Ms Latham has released information about Ms Cunneen in what appears to be in retribution for the fact that a complaint was lodged with the Inspector which led to an adverse report against the ICAC. Such conduct has the tendency to undermine the confid­ence in any member of the public lodging a complaint.”

So she's doubling down on what appears to be a technicality. I can not see this ending well for her.

-/-

OK so we had the Royal Commission into Trade Union corruption which even if it was actually meant to dig dirt on Labor politicians pretty much completely failed to deliver. How many Federal Labor parliamentarians are currently under police investigation? My rough tally is zero. Compare that to the LNP with three cabinet ministers (Brough, Pyne and Roy ) currently under investigation and a recently resigned minister looking to face criminal charges. Jamie Briggs only resigned a couple of months ago. Also lol at Arthur Sinodinos claiming he did no wrong because he isn't actually in Goulburn Jail. If ever their was a royal commission needed into corrupt and criminal behaviour it isn't the ALP connections to trade unions it's the LNP and their dodgey mates.

Don't touch the poop.

Sometimes the post of the pooper is all the advertisement of their idiocy needed. This is one of those times.

• Locked thread