Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jurgan posted:

But that was Reagan, PBUTH.

It was Cruz, not Rubio, but it's basically just luck. There's a 1/4 chance of justices who die dying in an election year, but a lot of them resign, and that's usually done early in a president's term so they have an easier time with the nomination. So it hasn't happened often, but there's no rule about what to do. I could understand if he died between November and January, but a whole year is ridiculous.

Both Cruz and Rubio said it, but Cruz was the one who got called on it and then he tried to semantic his way out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

STAC Goat posted:

Both Cruz and Rubio said it, but Cruz was the one who got called on it and then he tried to semantic his way out of it.

Okay, I didn't actually see the whole debate, just the clip with Cruz arguing with the moderator.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I've become addicted to can't stump the trump vids

halp

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star Man posted:

They're going to fellate Scalia on every major source of news all throughout the election season.

Good riddance.

The only thing people will remember in a month is the vacant SCOTUS chair.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Amazing news. The Republican party is rotting in front of our eyes

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Amazing news. The Republican party is rotting in front of our eyes

It is indeed a great time to be alive

Imagine if this was the 80s and you were into politics. You'd OD by now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jurgan posted:

But that was Reagan, PBUTH.

What's that mean? I tried googling it, couldn't come up with a specific answer.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What's that mean? I tried googling it, couldn't come up with a specific answer.

In Islam, all mentions of the Prophet in writing must be suffixed by the line "Peace Be Upon Him," hence PBUH.

Your guess of how to factor a T-word into that is as good as mine.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Morroque posted:

In Islam, all mentions of the Prophet in writing must be suffixed by the line "Peace Be Upon Him," hence PBUH.

Your guess of how to factor a T-word into that is as good as mine.

Unto I guess?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't celebrate people dying, certain people make this hard to do. Seeya Scalia.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

djw175 posted:

Unto I guess?

Yeah, that's what I thought the phrase was.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
"Peace be untoward him," sort of works in Reagan's case. I suppose.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't celebrate people dying, certain people make this hard to do. Seeya Scalia.

Eh he was 79 it's not like he was robbed of anything

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
He lived a long and productive life. :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

If Cheney dies...the eulogy I want to write for that monster is going to make Hunter S. Thompson's eulogy of Nixon look tame.
Write it now, I want to read it in anticipation.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Star Man posted:

If Cheney dies...the eulogy I want to write for that monster is going to make Hunter S. Thompson's eulogy of Nixon look tame.

You'll have to get in line.

In a perfect world, Cheney's name would enter common vernacular the same way Benedict Arnold's has. I'm thinking it would properly be a byword for extremely destructive acts of deceit.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Chenny can't die because he was never alive. :cthulhu:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, watching the media fall all over themselves and the GOP getting in line trying to explain why Obama should wait until after he leaves office to appoint Scalia's replacement has been crazy today. I thought these guys were strict Constitutionalists? The Constitution is pretty clear about this. Meaning the President should appoint a judge.

Can you imagine the howling if the situation were reversed and Ginsberg died during Bush's 8th year?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Why is it crazy? Part of being a partisan shill is that you're okay with hypocrisy as long as your team benefits. The way Hillary handled e-mail, for instance, wasn't markedly different than any of her predecessors, but the GOP sure called it a criminal offense when they thought it would benefit them politically. There's a million other examples that could be listed.

That's how politics works, and the US public is generally accepting of it as part of the game.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Well, instead of forcing Americans to wait a year and a half for a new justice, Obama could appoint a right wing judge in the mold of Scalia. Republicans are willing to compromise but Obama just divides everyone. Thanks Obama.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beatlegs posted:

Well, instead of forcing Americans to wait a year and a half for a new justice, Obama could appoint a right wing judge in the mold of Scalia. Republicans are willing to compromise but Obama just divides everyone. Thanks Obama.

I love that this is what all right wing whining can be boiled down to nowadays. "Obama COULD compromise with us by giving in to our every insane demand and doing exactly what we want but instead the TYRANT has his own ideas on how to run the country!!!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

bango skank posted:

I love that this is what all right wing whining can be boiled down to nowadays. "Obama COULD compromise with us by giving in to our every insane demand and doing exactly what we want but instead the TYRANT has his own ideas on how to run the country!!!"

To be fair, they're giving up the option to remove all minorities and abolish taxes wholesale which is probably what they think of a big sacrifices already.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, they're giving up the option to remove all minorities and abolish taxes wholesale which is probably what they think of a big sacrifices already.

Let's also not forget that gay marriage is 100% legal everywhere in the U.S. now. Figure that should be worth at least 1,000 years of conservative darkness, right?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I had a discussion with a friend today about the potential nominations. They were adamant that the GOP can block any nomination until after the election and suffer no political repercussions because "You can't replace the most conservative justice with a progressive candidate. It wouldn't be fair to the American people." :psyduck:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

OxySnake posted:

I had a discussion with a friend today about the potential nominations. They were adamant that the GOP can block any nomination until after the election and suffer no political repercussions because "You can't replace the most conservative justice with a progressive candidate. It wouldn't be fair to the American people." :psyduck:

Probably plenty of people who feel this way and honestly it's not the worst justification for obstruction. I'd love the court to be stacked with liberals but I can see why it'd be important to try to keep some kind of ideological balance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Probably plenty of people who feel this way and honestly it's not the worst justification for obstruction. I'd love the court to be stacked with liberals but I can see why it'd be important to try to keep some kind of ideological balance.

Citizens United.

That's all I'm saying.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Yes, America needs another Justice who's rationale for allowing extra-legal torture is Jack Bauer, from the fictional television show ":twentyfour:"

For :airquote: "balance".

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

There will always be a balance at the average of everyone's views, the question is how far left/right that balance happens to be. Why is the most recent balance automatically worth preserving?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Please tell me none of the "serious" RWM is running with the "Scalia was murdered" theory?

It's all over social media, and I know they love to just spit out whatevers on twitter at any one moment.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
It's like, a very nice older friend of mine is paying way too much attention to the GOP debates because she voted for Obama the last two years and feels like it's the Republican's turn. She may eventually vote democrat, but she still thinks somehow balance is needed, and will be enacted simply by electing someone from the other party. I fell like just because there are two sides doesn't mean both sides are equally valid. That's bullshit. Okay, you have one side that says you'd like a speed bump in our neighborhood road my position is that we should make a speed minimum in the subdivision 50mph and I get to make donuts in your lawn. And poop on it. Because gently caress you.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

You can't divide 9 by 2 so how do you keep a balance exactly?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ahh yes, American politics is like The Force, there must be balance. Nevermind that one side is mostly benevolent and altruistic and the other is all about self-gratification at the expense of everyone else, BALANCE!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The GOP made this bed when they focused on downticket races to the exclusion of wider appeal and now they get to sleep in it

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The truth isn't in the middle. There is no need to maintain some weird sense of "balance". Modern American Conservative politics are no mystery, and a conservative justice would be a bad thing because conservative politicians and voters have consistently believed, supported, and pushed for objectively awful things in the last few years alone, to say nothing of the past several decades.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

You guys are having a weird argument with a hypothetical person. I'm not saying I think there needs to be a balance or agree there should be, just that people do and I can understand why they feel that way even if I disagree with it. And it being irrational doesn't make it untrue so I'm not sure how raging against it on the internet is going to change reality in any way.

beatlegs posted:

You can't divide 9 by 2 so how do you keep a balance exactly?

Moderates.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

You might be able to get a comedy show or something with your jokes. Should look into that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

You guys are having a weird argument with a hypothetical person. I'm not saying I think there needs to be a balance or agree there should be, just that people do and I can understand why they feel that way even if I disagree with it. And it being irrational doesn't make it untrue so I'm not sure how raging against it on the internet is going to change reality in any way.

Moderates.

No one is raging against anything, just pointing out that people who believe that are being dumb and wrong. It isn't any more pointless than pointing out "hey people believe this, which I totally don't agree with, but I can see why they feel that way, even if it is irrational." If anything it is less pointless to point out things that are wrong than to make non-statements like that.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Well when one of these people says that to you maybe point out that the middleground fallacy is poo poo and when some guy says "I should be able to shoot two black people because I don't like them" maybe a good compromise is to help him deal with his issues rather than to say "OK let's compromise, you can only shoot one black person". Maybe remind this person you're talking to that the balance might not be in the middle between the party that has some good politicians and some corrupt politicians versus the party that has corrupt politicians and bloated shitbags who think they can call themselves christians while praying for slavery to come back and making jokes about how some women deserve rape.

Like, give them a tiny jostle by suggesting that sometimes one side is just plain wrong.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
We need a Truth is in the Middle emote, like :perfect: only with Stan from South Park pinching the bridge of his nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I mean in any case five conservative justices and four liberals isn't balance either.