Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Hollywood can stop making films that demonise other countries when those other countries cease to make films the demonise the States.

Yeah, demonise the English instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, demonise the English instead!

They already do, although I will freely admit that The Patriot isn't exactly topical.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

It's only unfair in that other countries don't do it.

Except other countries do exactly that all the time. Or do you ever wonder why we're not making movies about how the evil German Nazis are coming to invade America?

WWII stuff got made all the time a few years ago. It sold well in Germany too and it wasn't stopped because of German complaints- audiences got tired of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cliff Racer posted:

WWII stuff got made all the time a few years ago. It sold well in Germany too and it wasn't stopped because of German complaints- audiences got tired of it.

And if the US just made movies about how evil the Qing were, I don't think China would complain.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

computer parts posted:

Except other countries do exactly that all the time. Or do you ever wonder why we're not making movies about how the evil German Nazis are coming to invade America?

Come on it's like you're not even trying.

quote:

And if the US just made movies about how evil the Qing were, I don't think China would complain.

You might thing this if you literally knew nothing about China, yes.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Before accepting EasternBronze's expertise on those-orientals-and-their-eastern-mindset, please keep in mind that he was recently probated for saying that "China is literally opposed to every single principle which has advanced humanity's ideals since the middle ages"

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Chomskyan posted:

Before accepting EasternBronze's expertise on those-orientals-and-their-eastern-mindset, please keep in mind that he was recently probated for saying that "China is literally opposed to every single principle which has advanced humanity's ideals since the middle ages"

Those concepts include "universal values", "civil rights", "human rights", "freedom of expression", among other such ills. In fact, I challenge you to give me a modern concept that has been important for securing the rights of people in modern society that won't get you arrested for advocating in China today. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Chomsky, are you doing some kind of elaborate performance art, imitating your namesake? You seem to love going to bat for authoritarian regimes while safely enjoying all the benefits the modern, western first-world has to offer.

Anyway, given that it was likely you who pried open your wallet to net me this sweet avatar, maybe you could see your way clear to giving me platinum so you could PM me that list of modern concepts the Chinese government accepts, given how incredibly wrong my statement obviously was.

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 14, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but Iron Sky is a comedy made by a bunch of Finnish nerds whose previous claim to fame was lame Star Trek parodies :shrug:

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

So what? Iron Sky was super popular in the States and Nazis have been stock villains in American cinema for the last forty plus years. I don't recall ever hearing any German complaints, nor should they :colbert: Maybe when we make films, the feelings of an authoritarian government shouldn't be taken into account.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

EasternBronze posted:

I don't recall ever hearing any German complaints, nor should they :colbert: Maybe when we make films, the feelings of an authoritarian government shouldn't be taken into account.

Cause the films are pretty accurate, there is really nothing to complain about. The only thing wrong with Schindler's list is that it's downplaying Nazi crimes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

computer parts posted:

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo: :milk:

the only political party in germany that would even consider being privately pissed off at war movies about murican boys shooting evil nazis in the head is the current iteration of the extreme right "no we're totally not neonazis, also hitler did nothing wrong" protest party, and their complaint would be that a nazi conquest of the world should be portrayed as successful and good

computer parts posted:

China, run by people spouting a party line emphasising its proud 5000 year history (which has forever been and will forever be 5000 years, until it gets upgraded to 10000 years) of being the bestest most civilised country in the world, will definitely not object to anything that says China was at any point not one country, not civilised, or not the best.

Chomskyan posted:

Like many other people whinily accusing everyone under the sun of ~*~orientalism~*~, you're actually spouting orientalism.txt yourself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

China, run by people spouting a party line emphasising its proud 5000 year history (which has forever been and will forever be 5000 years, until it gets upgraded to 10000 years) of being the bestest most civilised country in the world, will definitely not object to anything that says China was at any point not one country, not civilised, or not the best.

It's good to know you really don't know anything about China.

Spoilers: They hate the Qing and a very large number of their films are all about how lovely the Qing are.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Original Qings of Comedy.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

Spoilers: They hate the Qing and a very large number of their films are all about how lovely the Qing are.

Of course the Qing are bad for being incompetent and losing the empire to foreigners, but do you really suggest that a foreign "lol China bad" series will get the same reception as a Chinese series?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blowfish posted:

Of course the Qing are bad for being incompetent and losing the empire to foreigners, but do you really suggest that a foreign "lol China bad" series will get the same reception as a Chinese series?

Yep.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I am somewhat rusty on my Ming and Qing history, but I vaguely recall that the Manchurians were made up of ethnic groups that fell outside of the traditional Han Chinese, and weren't really part of China until they invaded and established the Qing dynasty.

That plus Puyi would probably be seen as a collaborator during the Sino-Japanese war.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nonsense posted:

The Original Qings of Comedy.

Can I nominate this for the new China thread title? Do I have to crosspost it over there?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

EasternBronze posted:

In fact, I challenge you to give me a modern concept that has been important for securing the rights of people in modern society that won't get you arrested for advocating in China today. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

Communism

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

Trap sprung buddy, number six is you aren't allowed to talk about the privilege of the wealthy, capitalist class. In fact, just talking about the vast wealth in certain parts of society can get you banned from the country forever. Try again!

EasternBronze fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 15, 2016

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

blowfish posted:

Like many other people whinily accusing everyone under the sun of ~*~orientalism~*~, you're actually spouting orientalism.txt yourself.
Hmm, what I'm getting from this is that you agree with EasternBronze's statement

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

this sure makes you seem smart & witty and also lends a lot of gravity to what you're saying

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vagabundo posted:

I am somewhat rusty on my Ming and Qing history, but I vaguely recall that the Manchurians were made up of ethnic groups that fell outside of the traditional Han Chinese, and weren't really part of China until they invaded and established the Qing dynasty.

That plus Puyi would probably be seen as a collaborator during the Sino-Japanese war.

That is likely a major reason why The Last Emperor was allowed to film on location.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Hmm, what I'm getting from this is that you agree with EasternBronze's statement

ah yes, the inscrutable ORIENTAL Chinese identity, which supersedes all class and profession and power dynamics that make Chineseland shittier or greater

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

blowfish posted:

ah yes, the inscrutable ORIENTAL Chinese identity, which supersedes all class and profession and power dynamics that make Chineseland shittier or greater
Sorry I can't parse this gibberish, but it doesn't seem like a denial

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

the qing was bad because it failed to sustain the greatness of the chinese race nation

a movie directly attacking the chinese variety of east asian crypto-fascist ultranationalism would very much get people in china angry

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the other hand, the South Koreans deciding to flip the bird and start their own nuclear weapons program would be even worse. Providing missile defense coverage is a way for the US to maintain influence and leverage over their decision making process.

I missed this when you first posted it, but I'm not convinced that we can't urge them against either course of action. The U.S. nuclear umbrella still covers South Korea pretty effectively. As nuts as Kim may be, it's unlikely that he'll be able to provoke a U.S. retaliatory strike without ending up with a bullet in his head from one of his generals.

Not to mention, of course, the fact that South Korea would be in violation of international law if they were to try to make a nukes program.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also that if North Korea goes around blowing places up, China just might nuke them for good measure, regardless of what the US does.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

There's also that if North Korea goes around blowing places up, China just might nuke them for good measure, regardless of what the US does.

Do you mean if NK uses nuclear weapons offensively, or are you saying that China's no first use policy is a bluff?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Juffo-Wup posted:

Do you mean if NK uses nuclear weapons offensively, or are you saying that China's no first use policy is a bluff?

Every country besides maybe the Soviet Union for a few years, and 1945 America, has claimed a no first use policy for nuclear weapons. I don't really think any of them would hold to it if nuclear war type conditions came around.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

Every country besides maybe the Soviet Union for a few years, and 1945 America, has claimed a no first use policy for nuclear weapons. I don't really think any of them would hold to it if nuclear war type conditions came around.

The US has no such policy, unless I am mistaken.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Juffo-Wup posted:

The US has no such policy, unless I am mistaken.

Obama stated this was his policy, though it's not the formal doctrine.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/06/19/fact-sheet-nuclear-weapons-employment-strategy-united-states

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

fishmech posted:

dprk isn't going to nuke anyone, don't be stupid

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why would China randomly nuke North Korea in response to them nuking someone else when they can just roll in with 100,000 boots to enforce order?

blowfish posted:

Um, there was that Jet Li movie recently about the founder of Wushu which takes place during a time of Western troops occupying parts of China. So yeah.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Wong Fei-hong movies were longer ago, not sure if that's what you're referring to. But the emotion of that period is more of 'China is getting kicked around and needs to stand up for itself!' and less of 'the concept of China is different now than in the future.'

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cliff Racer posted:

Racest other? Thats bullshit. It sucks that when we have a modern day war movie we can't actually have our soldiers fighting the next biggest military power. There's nothing racist about that, they are a more credible threat than the lazy fill ins we've had recently.

In terms of video games Dragon Rising and Red River I believe were well received in China because they were respectful of Chinese capabilities and professionalism.

quote:

Wong Fei-hong movies were longer ago, not sure if that's what you're referring to. But the emotion of that period is more of 'China is getting kicked around and needs to stand up for itself!' and less of 'the concept of China is different now than in the future.'

I was responding to blowfish's post which doesn't have this nuance.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Key winner here: Train spergs who take NK tours so they could see people (forced to still) use steam engines. Now they also get to take a train in to start their tours, in all likelihood.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sincx posted:

Looks like China finally got pissed enough at Kim the Third and/or is sufficiently bothered by THAAD.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-usa-idUSKCN0VY0ET
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35664794

The new sanctions, among other things, bans shipment of all aviation and rocket fuel, and also bans Air Koryo from flying internationally.

interesting. it seems china is finaly tired of NK's bullshit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

interesting. it seems china is finaly tired of NK's bullshit.

It really just corroborates the stories that China were getting sick of KJU being a stupid loving spoilt shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EDIT wrong loving thread.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 27, 2016