Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Hedrigall posted:

I'm really sick of telepathy and its ilk popping up in my science fiction.
This reminds me that I should do some digging and see if there's any good spiritual successors to Phillip K Dick or Alfred Bester coming out now. The Stars My Destination ruled and it would be interesting to see how authors in the 21st century reinterpret the same themes through a different cultural lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Broken Angels and Woken Furies were fine. Not amazing, but pretty good.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Should I care about this book?

It's a the source material for a famous old space opera anime with a dedicated cult following. This is the first time anything to do with it has been available in an official English version despite its advanced age, hence the joke. It's focused on politics, strategy and principle rather than steely eyed Manticoreans making enemy fleets spontaneously explode or magical space elves doing whatever. It's worth a look if you want a space war saga with two properly developed sides with internal politics and worthwhile characters.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

xian posted:

I thought Broken Angels and Woken Furies were fine. Not amazing, but pretty good.

I read the series a few years ago and thought the entire thing was pretty darn good. I liked the trilogy better than Neal Asher's Polity/Brass Man stuff. I thought those were pretty good, too, though.Very solid action books. Asher does that well.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

What's with anime and vaguely germanic names?
Anyhow, I just learned Altered Carbon apparently has two sequels - are they worth anything? From what I've seen of Morgan, I'm mostly assuming AC was a fluke.

They're allies.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

anilEhilated posted:

What's with anime and vaguely germanic names?

one of the factions in LOGH is basically Space Germany.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I recently found and read Adam Whitehead's History of Epic Fantasy. I've been looking for a comprehensive history of the genre for years and this is pretty much the only thing that comes close (as a mostly-linear timeline, not an encyclopedia). Some of it will be old news for most of you, but it highlights some more obscure books as well and the chronological ordering helps contextualize each individual work. For instance, I never got what the big deal with Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was until I read its entry.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'd be more interested in a Banner of the Stars translation, to be honest, even if it is literally

Peel posted:

space elves

Are there BotS translations, actually?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'd be more interested in a Banner of the Stars translation, to be honest, even if it is literally

Are there BotS translations, actually?

If you mean Crest of the Stars, Tokyopop translated at least one of them back in the day.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Finished Ancillary Justice this morning. Ugh, I liked the writing and everything, it was just pretty boring. Not much cool happened, the character development was barely there and the ending was not interesting. I felt like I was always waiting for the cool thing to happen. Never really grabbed me.

People who really loved this novel, please convince me to read the rest of the series! I feel invested but don't want to at this point.

Just before reading it I binged through the Silo series (Wool/Shift/Dust) which was awesome throughout. I am going to finish Malazan book 3 and then either read Beacon 23 (by Silo guy) or more Ancillary novels depending on whether something changes my mind.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

As a fan of the Ancillary trilogy, I think I would be remiss in convincing you to read more of the same if you didn't like it.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Help me. I can't stop reading Vorkosigan Saga and there are all these other books out there too. It's just too much fun :)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you mean Crest of the Stars, Tokyopop translated at least one of them back in the day.

Crest is just the first book in the series, the other five all go by "banner" for whatever reason. It's Banner IV and V I'm interested in primarily, as they never got animated.

Looks like TP only did Crest, anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

General Emergency posted:

Help me. I can't stop reading Vorkosigan Saga and there are all these other books out there too. It's just too much fun :)

You're doing God's work. Enjoy those books while you can, you'll get to the end and be sad that they're over. :(

(Although this reminded me that I need to track down a copy of Gentleman Jole, I'm not quite done yet!)

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Vehementi posted:

Finished Ancillary Justice this morning. Ugh, I liked the writing and everything, it was just pretty boring. Not much cool happened, the character development was barely there and the ending was not interesting. I felt like I was always waiting for the cool thing to happen. Never really grabbed me.

People who really loved this novel, please convince me to read the rest of the series! I feel invested but don't want to at this point.

I'm in the same boat as you. Read the first one and didn't find any reason to keep reading.

E: typo

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 12, 2016

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Vehementi posted:

Even less happens in the next two books.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Vehementi posted:

I've read Ancillary Justice as well, and while I enjoyed it more than you, I didn't think it was God's gift to science fiction either. I'm OK with it winning the Hugo (because the novel pool that year wasn't terribly good), but there were at least three Nebula nominees that would have been better winners than AJ.

I've also read Anc Sword, which I thought was better than AJ, but I enjoy more political stuff. (I loved The Goblin Emperor, for example). Am probably going to read Anc Mercy (among other books) in time for the Hugo votes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Jesus. Help, please, goons.

I'm ready to start reading these books, but there seems to be conflicting information about where to begin.

Do I start with Shards of Honor or Falling Free? :confused:

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

XBenedict posted:

I'm ready to start reading these books, but there seems to be conflicting information about where to begin.

In case of doubt, I'd go for publication order. (Not really sure if it applies in this case; I just read the three first books on that series)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

XBenedict posted:

When in doubt, go by publication order.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Falling Free is like 300 years or so before anything else in the series and it's almost completely unrelated to it. Start with Shards of Honor, move on to Barrayar.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The Water Knife -- an unpleasant, sometimes thrilling but mostly interesting novel that hit a few nice notes. My biggest issue with it was that the ending came up a bit too quickly. I would've liked another chapter or two to shore up some plot lines. Definitely worth a read, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

holocaust bloopers posted:

The Water Knife -- an unpleasant, sometimes thrilling but mostly interesting novel that hit a few nice notes. My biggest issue with it was that the ending came up a bit too quickly. I would've liked another chapter or two to shore up some plot lines. Definitely worth a read, though.

This book made me really want a New Vegas style game where you're a water knife. Fallout: Phoenix, imo.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Vehementi posted:

If you thought nothing happened in book one... Marvel as even LESS HAPPENS in Book 2! Gasp in Astonishment as the Next Two Books fall VICTIM to MIDDLE BOOK SYNDROME. You Won't Believe how LITTLE GETS RESOLVED!!!!!!

Seriously, there are are some good parts to the next two books, but if a lack of cool things happening, and flimsy character development bothered you in Book One, you aren't going to like the rest of them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't agree that nothing cool happens (One Esk Nineteen kills a starship with a loving pistol, for starters), but it does stay relatively sedate and slow-paced, especially compared to, say, the Polity books.

I hugely enjoyed the Imperial Radch trilogy -- it actually reminded me somewhat of C.J. Cherryh, which is never a bad thing -- but if you didn't like Justice, I don't think you're going to enjoy Sword or Mercy either.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I rather suspect that trilogy would work better if it was a single book.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
The Presger seem cool. If the books devoted as much time to them as they do to setting up communist tea farms then then they'd be a lot more exciting.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Presger would be less cool if they went into more detail about them. They're only cool because they're basically unknown. When you do more with them you remove that feeling of alien-ness.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

XBenedict posted:

Falling Free has nothing to do with the other books (other than some shared universe stuff that you'd notice in one later book).

Star with Shards of Honor, Barrayar, then The Warrior's Apprentice.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read Mercy yet but I loved Justice and Sword. Thing is, they're not about stuff exploding and cool fights or whatever as other series are. I mean I thought the violence in the books well-used but it was never the point--it was about the lives of an alien but still human culture, the inequalities therein, and genuinely trying to do something positive against an overwhelming institutional resistance. Helping shore up a workers collective on a tea farm is about making peoples' lives better, and I like reading about that. If it wasn't hard--if it just required shooting the right corrupt/abusive manager--it wouldn't feel genuine even if it might be superficially satisfying. Not everyone will like those themes but not everyone likes 'rah rah murica shoot space terr'ists' milsf either.

I also thought Anaander was a pretty unique and memorable villain, both for being her own worst enemy and for the beliefs and practices she represented, thousands of years of colonial Imperialism that refused to let herself die.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished Harm's Way by Colin Greenland. If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it'd be "Dickens in space" - with all that entails, with the amount of detail on the setting often just putting the reader to sleep. Very imaginative and picturesque - can't really not be with sailboats in space - and some wonderfully caricutaristic (is that a word?) characters and scenes - but that all really happens on the side and the plot itself is dreadfully dull. I realize it's mostly a bunch of fantasy convention subversion ("what's the worst that can happen on a quest to find the identities of your parents") but it's really unfulfilling and generally uninteresting. The vignettes of the universe around it still make it a pretty good read, though.

Anyhow, here's the million dollar question - I don't think anyone else did boats in space, but is there any solid naval fantasy around? I read On Stranger Tides (which suffers from a similar amazing setting/predictable and boring story dichotomy) and the Chathrhand (sp?) books (which started off nice enough but were on a constant slope towards stupidity) - can't really think of anything else (/good) in the genre.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Still on the fence about AJ (thanks for replies) - while I didn't find it really satisfying overall, it was enjoyable to read, minute to minute and hour to hour. Maybe I'll read the other novels later.

Finished up Malazan book 3, which on the other hand was devastating and satisfying at many points, and I look forward to reading more aside from how daunting each book is due to length and density of random contextless plot words.

In the mean time I read Beacon 23 by the Silo guy, which was kind of an emotional rollercoaster. First 1/3 of the book was hilarious and the rest oscillated rapidly between hope and despair.

Totally unrelated question: do there exist decent books that are told in the first person, where the narrator dies? Can't think of any, but I'm not well read and I am probably betraying some embarrassing miss of some classic novel by asking this. (I guess this has to just be a "yes I promise" or "no" question without spoiling by naming books)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vehementi posted:

Totally unrelated question: do there exist decent books that are told in the first person, where the narrator dies? Can't think of any, but I'm not well read and I am probably betraying some embarrassing miss of some classic novel by asking this. (I guess this has to just be a "yes I promise" or "no" question without spoiling by naming books)

Yes. I read one last year, actually. It was excellent. The book is (massive spoilers, obviously) the Newsflesh trilogy by Seanan McGuire aka Mira Grant.

That book handled it by changing viewpoint characters when the previous narrator dies. I'm pretty sure I've read at least one other that just went into third person and stayed that way, but it was longer ago and I don't remember the title or author.

But yes, there are books that do this.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

XBenedict posted:

I'm almost finished with Cetaganda now, they're good so far! I'll have to see how the Miles books keep going. They're honestly getting a little samey after ~3 of them. Not that they're not enjoyable, but more that it's the continuing, episodic adventures of Miles (tune in this week to see how he beats the bad guys, then see him do it all over again next week!). I'll keep reading because they're still fun, but I'm hoping it sort of shifts away from that, and towards a bigger story arc, if that makes any sense.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vehementi posted:

It's a bit of a cheat, but The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is first-person-narrated by a character who goes through serial reincarnation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm almost finished with Cetaganda now, they're good so far! I'll have to see how the Miles books keep going. They're honestly getting a little samey after ~3 of them. Not that they're not enjoyable, but more that it's the continuing, episodic adventures of Miles (tune in this week to see how he beats the bad guys, then see him do it all over again next week!). I'll keep reading because they're still fun, but I'm hoping it sort of shifts away from that, and towards a bigger story arc, if that makes any sense.
Well, bad news, there's really no story arc past the whole universe's slow development. On the plus side, there's still going to be the occassional genre change.
But yeah, that was my biggest issue with the series. That and Civil Campaign - I get what it's going for, just didn't like it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Vehementi posted:

It's not first person, but The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson follows a group of people as they are die and are reincarnated over and over from the time of the black plague until almost modern times. It's the only KSR book I've enjoyed and I recommend it!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

You are coming up on a pretty major storyline twist. It's pretty goddamn amazing, too.

Really you are pretty much at the end of the 'swashbuckling adventures of Miles Vorkosigan' part of the series. Brothers in Arms sets up some serious stuff that has heavy implications for the next few books. And once that shakes out the status quo is completely different.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Vehementi posted:

Gene Wolfe does this in a few books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

Gene Wolfe does this in a few books.
We won't tell you which ones so you have to read all of them. You can thank us later.