Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Droo posted:

Do you have a Nevada MyDMV account? I am surprised you didn't get an email when they got notified by the insurance company.

I do yes. I didn't get a notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

How did the visit to the DMV go? Tell us the gory details

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

How did the visit to the DMV go? Tell us the gory details

Not well. I didn't admit fault, but my registration will be suspended shortly. The fine will be for reinstatement.

I'll probably just wait until we're in a better spot to pay it. I don't want to let this detract from our goals.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Not well. I didn't admit fault, but my registration will be suspended shortly. The fine will be for reinstatement.

I'll probably just wait until we're in a better spot to pay it. I don't want to let this detract from our goals.

This sounds like an excellent way to get even more fines for driving without a registration :thumbsup:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Either fight it or pay the fee. Don't just ignore it. You just said you had $800 you didn't pay toward the car. Pay the fee off with it.

Stop making ignoring poo poo your default.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Inept posted:

Either fight it or pay the fee. Don't just ignore it. You just said you had $800 you didn't pay toward the car. Pay the fee off with it.

Stop making ignoring poo poo your default.

I was going to catch rides with my wife for a bit to get to work to give me some time to think about it. I have a few more questions I want to call and ask about tomorrow morning.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Okay. Well this is the first possible path of recourse that I found on the NV DMV website.

quote:

If your insurance company has denied your coverage and you believe this to be incorrect, you can contact the Nevada Division of Insurance at (775) 687-0700 to inquire about filing a complaint.

Link here, it's under one of the click-to-expand tabs in the FAQ section. So either call and start the complaint or pay up, like Inept suggested. edit: I would do the complaint because even if it takes 10 hours to get the thing resolved, that's still a return of $50/hr which is pretty good

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 14, 2016

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

I was going to catch rides with my wife for a bit to get to work to give me some time to think about it. I have a few more questions I want to call and ask about tomorrow morning.

Knyteguy's Finances - Had to buy a second car because carpooling was too much effort. Willing to carpool because he doesn't want to pay a fine on the second car he bought.

This thread seems rock solid from the last time I checked it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Okay. Well this is the first possible path of recourse that I found on the NV DMV website.

Link here, it's under one of the click-to-expand tabs in the FAQ section. So either call and start the complaint or pay up, like Inept suggested. edit: I would do the complaint because even if it takes 10 hours to get the thing resolved, that's still a return of $50/hr which is pretty good

Thanks. I'll call tomorrow, or whatever the steps may be to dispute.

Bugamol posted:

Knyteguy's Finances - Had to buy a second car because carpooling was too much effort. Willing to carpool because he doesn't want to pay a fine on the second car he bought.

This thread seems rock solid from the last time I checked it.

My new flex scheduling and winter being over make it more practical again, for a temporary time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Thanks. I'll call tomorrow, or whatever the steps may be to dispute.
DMV's probably closed tomorrow, FYI.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Why is nobody calling bullshit yet? This is the same pattern as before. Strange problems that don't hold up under scrutiny, a weirdly blasé attitude about a major issue, and a refusal to follow simple advice to fix it. This dude's an established massive liar, I don't know why people believe him this time around.

I mean, ooh, suddenly this flex schedule makes the car not needed? You mean the same flex schedule that I was begging you to arrange before you bought the car? Think how much further ahead you'd be on your Toyota debt if you had conducted a fifteen minute conversation six months ago. Oh, but you sold your dune buggy or whatever to pay for the Camaro, I forgot. How much did you get for it, again?

Safe money is on KG having realized the car was more expensive than he projected, and completely impractical for transporting a baby, and this is his story to make it not his fault.

Longer odds are on him having gotten a DUI and losing his license.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Old Fart posted:

Why is nobody calling bullshit yet? This is the same pattern as before. Strange problems that don't hold up under scrutiny, a weirdly blasé attitude about a major issue, and a refusal to follow simple advice to fix it. This dude's an established massive liar, I don't know why people believe him this time around.

I mean, ooh, suddenly this flex schedule makes the car not needed? You mean the same flex schedule that I was begging you to arrange before you bought the car? Think how much further ahead you'd be on your Toyota debt if you had conducted a fifteen minute conversation six months ago. Oh, but you sold your dune buggy or whatever to pay for the Camaro, I forgot. How much did you get for it, again?

Safe money is on KG having realized the car was more expensive than he projected, and completely impractical for transporting a baby, and this is his story to make it not his fault.

Longer odds are on him having gotten a DUI and losing his license.

It's a bit fishy. The fee apparently is accurate: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/nvl010.pdf

But here's where it gets weird, they send a request for insurance verification at the 10 day point after lapse, they claim certified letter. So at worst with this whole thing it would be less than 30 days which is half that amount.

It does mention that SR-22 need to go apply in person. Did something happen that caused you to get cut off and forced on state insurance, and you somehow didn't realize that?

The whole insurance dropping you without notice on running a quote sounds odd. I've had to do quite a few quotes, and they only go into affect after signing, if they cut insurance before, then that is their bad...but you're not going to them for some reason.

Maybe you're not hiding anything, but then let us help you figure out what we are all missing and why this doesn't add up.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The real answer is: he never got insurance on the camaro in the first place and got pulled over for living his life a quarter mile at a time and now his nuts are in a vise to to the tune of....$792. Either that or he really is that inept at being a grown rear end adult and handling big boy stuff like insurance and registration.

God help you if you ever try to buy a house, you'd probably cry bitter tears the first year because 'look, the bank never said anything about a property tax escrow account and now I need to come up with $4000 or the state will put a lien on my home! How could this have happened :qq:'

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

DMV's probably closed tomorrow, FYI.

You're right. Tomorrow then.

MrEnigma posted:

It's a bit fishy. The fee apparently is accurate: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/nvl010.pdf

But here's where it gets weird, they send a request for insurance verification at the 10 day point after lapse, they claim certified letter. So at worst with this whole thing it would be less than 30 days which is half that amount.

It does mention that SR-22 need to go apply in person. Did something happen that caused you to get cut off and forced on state insurance, and you somehow didn't realize that?

The whole insurance dropping you without notice on running a quote sounds odd. I've had to do quite a few quotes, and they only go into affect after signing, if they cut insurance before, then that is their bad...but you're not going to them for some reason.

Maybe you're not hiding anything, but then let us help you figure out what we are all missing and why this doesn't add up.

I'm not sure what doesn't add up. I don't have an SR-22.

I didn't get a notice earlier than this.

Skype for Business conversation from 12/16/2015 posted:

Knyteguy 10:33 AM:
Geico thought we moved to San Diego because of that quote. Idiots. Anyway we need to send a utility bill proving we're still in Nevada.

JanusOwl 10:34 AM:
Wow that's really dumb!

Knyteguy 10:34 AM:
Yeah.

JanusOwl 10:34 AM:
We called inquiring and they just assumed that we moved?? I don't even know if we get any utility bills...

Knyteguy 10:35 AM:
I know it's really stupid. We'll just print out an NV Energy bill and fax it to them.

JanusOwl 10:35 AM:
:)

JanusOwl 10:53 AM:
I think I might be having an allergic reaction to some detergent

Knyteguy 11:22 AM:
Why do you think that?

JanusOwl 11:25 AM:
I had to move a container of detergeant out of the way in the warehouse & now my arm has red dots and it had an itchy red stripe, but that went away..

Knyteguy 11:26 AM:
Huh. There's a lot of stuff in warehouses that will cause stuff like that though.

JanusOwl 11:29 AM:
yeah...I'll keep an eye on it

Knyteguy 1:21 PM:
Can you fax/print? You're away btw

JanusOwl 1:25 PM:
I just got back :)

Knyteguy 1:25 PM:
Ah ok. Yeah can you fax and print at your work?

JanusOwl 1:25 PM:
I should be able to, let me make sure...

JanusOwl 1:49 PM:
I can fax

Knyteguy 1:49 PM:
Can't print?

JanusOwl 1:51 PM:
I can :)

Knyteguy 1:52 PM:
OK cool. Let's get that faxed out. I'll send you a link to print in a bit

JanusOwl 1:52 PM:
okie doke ;)

JanusOwl 1:57 PM:
If someone used my comp and then I switched back to my user, would it be possible for me to hear their music?

Knyteguy 1:58 PM:
I've never tried.

Knyteguy 4:55 PM:
Getting you that to print now

Knyteguy 4:58 PM:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9ya3joyrstm7gy/NVEnergy_Bill_12022015.pdf?dl=0
Fax number 1-866-386-8816 ADD "ATTN [REDACTED]" I guess somewhere on the document

Anyway I siphoned the DMV fine money into the debt paydown category. March I think is going to have an insane debt pay down with the tax money added in there, and the month's contribution on top of the current remainder in there. I'll need to take the fine money back out if the DMV tells me that my appeals to this fine are invalid, and if I also need to pay the fine immediately to avoid further penalties.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 15, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Unrelated question- are caffeine pills actually a thing? Is the idea just to drink less coffee or Red Bull or whatever and do they actually work for you?

I feel like this has probably come up in the thread before and if it has I apologize but I don't know much about these.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I think it's great that you were "budgeting" and getting quotes for a transmission change a few months ago, and yet now that there's an actual use for your car's emergency fund there's nothing in it and you don't really need the car at all.

A DUI is way more than $800, but this does seem fishy. Your insurance ended on 12/22, right? As I read it your fine shouldn't be anywhere close to $800 since it's less than 90 days.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Unrelated question- are caffeine pills actually a thing? Is the idea just to drink less coffee or Red Bull or whatever and do they actually work for you?

I feel like this has probably come up in the thread before and if it has I apologize but I don't know much about these.

I really like them. They provide a less up and down feeling than energy drinks; a single pill helps me feel awake more than coffee also. My wife really likes coffee though, and she takes the caffeine pills a little begrudgingly. She'll usually just make a pot instead on the weekend. I'm use to bottom of the barrel black coffee, so it's all the same to me.

I bought them to cut out energy drinks, yes. I bought a 3 pack since I went through the first bottle.

in_cahoots posted:

I think it's great that you were "budgeting" and getting quotes for a transmission change a few months ago, and yet now that there's an actual use for your car's emergency fund there's nothing in it and you don't really need the car at all.

A DUI is way more than $800, but this does seem fishy. Your insurance ended on 12/22, right? As I read it your fine shouldn't be anywhere close to $800 since it's less than 90 days.

It's $500 not $800. It ended 12/21 (per the notice). Notice that they didn't make the notice for 31 days, and it also took some time for it to get to me in the mail.

Priorities change. I want to get out of debt and start saving for a house.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Knyteguy posted:

With these brand new goals, maybe you should start a new thread.

Oh wait, that was the exact reason you started this thread several years ago. Guess you just forgot that those were your original priorities.

So how much did you get for whatever it was you were totally selling to pay for the Camaro that you've now decided you don't need? You know, the car you weren't going to compromise on, and that we should have just gotten off your back about because it totally doesn't fit the same old pattern, no way not this time guys I'm totally serious this time is different.

But you sold that other thing, right? That was a big part of justifying this, remember. Because this time is different.

Explain to me again why FAAAAAARRRRRTTTTT is not an appropriate response to this thread?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

With these brand new goals, maybe you should start a new thread.

Oh wait, that was the exact reason you started this thread several years ago. Guess you just forgot that those were your original priorities.

So how much did you get for whatever it was you were totally selling to pay for the Camaro that you've now decided you don't need? You know, the car you weren't going to compromise on, and that we should have just gotten off your back about because it totally doesn't fit the same old pattern, no way not this time guys I'm totally serious this time is different.

But you sold that other thing, right? That was a big part of justifying this, remember. Because this time is different.

Explain to me again why FAAAAAARRRRRTTTTT is not an appropriate response to this thread?

Thanks for the input :).

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Old Fart may sound a bit assholish but his point is legit - this thread is feeling like a merry-go-round.

Again.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

I still maintain that KG is the best troll this subforum has ever seen.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
If he went through a thorough, legitimate treatment for his mental disorder most of this poo poo would go away and you could actually work with the guy.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Mutar posted:

Old Fart may sound a bit assholish but his point is legit - this thread is feeling like a merry-go-round.

Again.

Three months from now what do you think his debt payoff date will be? My money's on October 2017.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Mutar posted:

Again.

I'm a get back on the horse kind of guy.

Inverse Icarus posted:

I still maintain that KG is the best troll this subforum has ever seen.

I suppose I meant to add, "as soon as possible". Obviously getting out of debt has been our goal, but not necessarily as soon as possible.

Horking Delight posted:

Three months from now what do you think his debt payoff date will be? My money's on October 2017.

I'll take you up on a bet if you want. Loser donates $50 to charity? If I lose I'll also close the thread permanently, ban myself, and never post in SA under this name again in shame.

Clause: Voided in the case of a job loss lasting more than 30 days, a job loss resulting in a drop of pay for 30 days or more, or sudden disability.
To be paid off to fulfill bet: Student loans, and car.

I'm thinking I can be out of the debt before the end of the year, or very near the beginning of next, so take me up on the (above, August 2017) bet and it will prove that I'm either delusional and a helpless mental manic compulsive spending addict wreck who needs professional help why the gently caress is this guy a dad I'm surprised he can dress himself in the morning, or someone who has learned to plan throughout the process and finally made a plan that worked (not that I wouldn't benefit from further therapy).

TO FURTHER MY APPARENT DELUSION AND TO ENTERTAIN:

That's my motivation at the moment. It's unlikely we buy it because I think the mortgage would be slightly beyond comfortable, but I like the idea that maybe we could buy it if we wanted to after success in this process.

More in the future since I'm getting ahead of the thread.

Veskit posted:

If he went through a thorough, legitimate treatment for his mental disorder most of this poo poo would go away and you could actually work with the guy.

:aaaaa:. Good to see you again.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 15, 2016

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

haunted by the ghost of the painter of light

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Insanity something something same thing over and over something something.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Insanity something something same thing over and over something something.

something something sober nearly 2 months after many failures trying to stop drinking something something

I don't know why I need to say this to you, but obviously life is rarely (ever?) exactly the same when trying things over. There is no control group and isolation of external factors here when working towards betterment. Ill timed stress or tragedy at the beginning of a self-control challenge can easily help push someone towards failure. That's something I've experienced that first hand. Success and time away from poor habits strengthen, but not necessarily completely. That's something I've seen first hand.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 15, 2016

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

I'll take you up on a bet if you want. Loser donates $50 to charity? If I lose I'll also close the thread permanently, ban myself, and never post in SA under this name again in shame.

Clause: Voided in the case of a job loss lasting more than 30 days, a job loss resulting in a drop of pay for 30 days or more, or sudden disability.
To be paid off to fulfill bet: Student loans, and car.

I'm not taking a bet that lets you theoretically raid your tax return and emergency fund as "windfall money" and still pass, are you kidding me?

I'll pay $100 to the charity of your choice if you meet your budget for three months in a row (not counting emergencies), all the same conditions as the bet from last year, starting in March.

But if you lose, I don't want you to close the thread and shame-ban yourself. I want a 1000-word essay on "Why did I fail this challenge, what could I have done to prevent it, and what steps will I take in the future to better enable myself to meet my budget?"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Knyteguy posted:

Ill timed stress or tragedy at the beginning of a self-control challenge can easily help push someone towards failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VX8g8cDTo

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I'm not taking a bet that lets you theoretically raid your tax return and emergency fund as "windfall money" and still pass, are you kidding me?

I'll pay $100 to the charity of your choice if you meet your budget for three months in a row (not counting emergencies), all the same conditions as the bet from last year, starting in March.

But if you lose, I don't want you to close the thread and shame-ban yourself. I want a 1000-word essay on "Why did I fail this challenge, what could I have done to prevent it, and what steps will I take in the future to better enable myself to meet my budget?"

Well... define sticking to budget. I set X amount to go towards debt, and maintain the emergency fund/monthly buffer (unless an emergency happens as you mentioned), and that counts? If I go over in a category by $10 is that a blown budget? If I put more towards debt than I planned at the beginning of the month by scalping some of the fun money I thought I would need, but didn't? I believe I've calculated that last part to what we can do, but I want to be sure. Windfalls cover additional debt payments only? Net zero month? Will all 3 months need to be exactly the same?

If you'll agree to something like the emergency fund can't be raided, I set X amount to go towards debt, and discretionary type categories need to stay the same or less, then I'd be willing. Otherwise I don't know if I'm ready. Or let me know; I'm willing to work out the terms, but I think the rules should be clear before either of us agree.

Also I'd like to raise the stakes since you raised your end. If we agree on something, and I fail, then I commit to therapy absolutely no matter what, for 3 months at a minimum, on top of your essay.

And I match your donation to a charity as well after we get out of debt (that way it's just not all about me) either way. Or something. It's a little late, but let me know what you're thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9sL7iZa3Q

Seriously though stressful times absolutely can be triggers for addiction of any sort. I think that can be considered fact. If you've never been addicted to anything, then you'll probably have no idea what I'm talking about. It can definitely go for exercise, coffee, soda, lovely food (comfort food), etc.

For example I saw my grandma who didn't smoke for 20 years reach for a cigarette I was smoking during... likely the most stressful time of her life. She caught herself since she had that time behind her, but that inkling of want is always there for most - therapy or not (and she took therapy for years).

You're probably familiar with at least the concept, but I have no idea.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 16, 2016

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
This thread is exhausting.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

No, what, are you still not sure what people mean when they say budget? You say at the beginning of the month that you're going to spend a certain amount of money and then you spend less than or equal to the amount you said that you were going to spend. That's the budget. Just paying off debt isn't enough, how do you think you got debt in the first place?

The stuff from last year here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post444063951
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=81272&perpage=40&pagenumber=30

You decide (posted at the beginning of the month, as a budget with however many categories you normally prefer):
Money spent on debt repayment
Money spent on discretionary
Money spent on other expenses

You also have:
An emergency fund for emergencies

You post (within two weeks at the end of the month):
Money actually spent on debt repayment
Money actually spent on discretionary
Money actually spent on other expenses

If the money you spent on discretionary or the money you spent on other expenses exceeds the budget you set for yourself, or the money you spent on debt repayments is less than you planned, then you failed the bet. I don't care about your categories so yeah theoretically if you pulled 200 dollars out of your grocery budget so that you could spend it on a "birthday emergency" because you forgot your mom's birthday, I guess that wouldn't technically be a blown budget. HOWEVER, this does mean that if you said you were going to spend $5000 this month, and you're at $5000 but happened to get a tax return of $2000, spending that windfall would break your budget.

If you want to change your budget every month, whatever. If the thread has a suggestion for a change or whatever, we can go with what the thread prefers. I don't really care about the details. I just want you to stop spending more money than you say you'll spend.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Knyteguy posted:

Please, please buy a horse. If there is one thing this thread is missing it is a horse.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Old Fart posted:

This thread is exhausting.

I asked for flex scheduling because of your input last summer. It just took me awhile to be unhappy enough to ask for it.

Horking Delight posted:

No, what, are you still not sure what people mean when they say budget? You say at the beginning of the month that you're going to spend a certain amount of money and then you spend less than or equal to the amount you said that you were going to spend. That's the budget. Just paying off debt isn't enough, how do you think you got debt in the first place?

The stuff from last year here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post444063951
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586966&userid=81272&perpage=40&pagenumber=30

You decide (posted at the beginning of the month, as a budget with however many categories you normally prefer):
Money spent on debt repayment
Money spent on discretionary
Money spent on other expenses

You also have:
An emergency fund for emergencies

You post (within two weeks at the end of the month):
Money actually spent on debt repayment
Money actually spent on discretionary
Money actually spent on other expenses

If the money you spent on discretionary or the money you spent on other expenses exceeds the budget you set for yourself, or the money you spent on debt repayments is less than you planned, then you failed the bet. I don't care about your categories so yeah theoretically if you pulled 200 dollars out of your grocery budget so that you could spend it on a "birthday emergency" because you forgot your mom's birthday, I guess that wouldn't technically be a blown budget. HOWEVER, this does mean that if you said you were going to spend $5000 this month, and you're at $5000 but happened to get a tax return of $2000, spending that windfall would break your budget.

If you want to change your budget every month, whatever. If the thread has a suggestion for a change or whatever, we can go with what the thread prefers. I don't really care about the details. I just want you to stop spending more money than you say you'll spend.

I just wanted to clarify everything, because last time there was some ambiguity.

I'll get behind this I think. I won't be able to post the budget until the weekend of the 26th, since that's when our last paycheck comes in for this month. So May would be the final month, yeah? Let me think on it for a couple days before accepting officially though. I don't want to do another charity challenge and fail at it again, and my wife and I have were planning to keep it really trim again for a large debt payment.

Just to clarify - a windfall can go into a debt payment if wanted? I don't expect one since taxes should be here by the end of the week according to the IRS, but I think it's worth a double check.

And, thanks Horking. A few of you still have an inkling of confidence in me, which I appreciate.

I started working on this. I was calling to ask them a few questions as I mentioned before starting anything, and I think the dormant vehicle declaration would be the most likely path to work after feeling them out (the actual insurance department of the DMV). I think I can get the fine down to $51 with that. They sent me all of the paperwork necessary via email, which I can in turn email back to them. I need to get a notary, but it will save me a visit going down to the DMV again.

I'll try the other way if they for some reason won't accept this paperwork. Thanks for the help. I'll update when I find out more.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2016

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
IMO windfalls can go to debt or savings.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Windfalls are not part of your budget so putting them into debt or savings (two categories that don't have max spends) should work fine without you breaking your budget. Or into your emergency fund (which I guess is part of savings).

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I want to comment about rules for this, but what's the point? Someone said "I want to see you stick to budget for three months" and you followed with two paragraphs of clarification questions, and honestly? That's correct for what we've seen in this thread. Your budgets are NEVER simple enough that someone could ask you to follow them for three months in a row without defining a page of terms.

It also worries me you don't want to raid your emergency fund. Because that should cover an actual emergency.

I'd like to see you set three monthly budgets, whatever you want them to be, and then cross ZERO categories except fun money. Spend it on ramen to make it through the month because you blew your grocery budget. Whatever. I want to see you challenge yourself to not cross any categories, and in the case of a minor emergency, use that emergency fund. Tire blows out, dog vet visit, etc. In the case of a major emergency like job loss or god forbid anything health the challenge is gonna drop anyways and everything changes.

Basically by not cross categories I mean groceries are groceries and if you've been super good about restaurants but have five days, $75 in restaurant and $1.17 in groceries and a bare pantry, I still want to see you keep that restaurant money put and figure out a way to make it five days or blow the challenge.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Old Greg posted:

I want to comment about rules for this, but what's the point? Someone said "I want to see you stick to budget for three months" and you followed with two paragraphs of clarification questions, and honestly? That's correct for what we've seen in this thread. Your budgets are NEVER simple enough that someone could ask you to follow them for three months in a row without defining a page of terms.

It also worries me you don't want to raid your emergency fund. Because that should cover an actual emergency.

I'd like to see you set three monthly budgets, whatever you want them to be, and then cross ZERO categories except fun money. Spend it on ramen to make it through the month because you blew your grocery budget. Whatever. I want to see you challenge yourself to not cross any categories, and in the case of a minor emergency, use that emergency fund. Tire blows out, dog vet visit, etc. In the case of a major emergency like job loss or god forbid anything health the challenge is gonna drop anyways and everything changes.

Basically by not cross categories I mean groceries are groceries and if you've been super good about restaurants but have five days, $75 in restaurant and $1.17 in groceries and a bare pantry, I still want to see you keep that restaurant money put and figure out a way to make it five days or blow the challenge.

Basically for KG to do this he'd need to surplus budget those categories with more money than they actually need in at least one of the given 3 months and then not overspend that surplus.

That is healthy budgeting, and for the kinds of balances that he's carrying in those categories shouldn't add up to more than $1-200 bucks but some of the interest on debt he's servicing is double digit rates where that $1-200 bucks over three months can accrue a pretty big net paydown over the inevitable life of those debts if plied toward debt today instead of sitting idle to pad budgets for the next three months.

Plus, budgeting spending and saving broadly, and actually sticking to those broad categories of budget discipline would be a huge point of progress for our impulsive protagonist.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Basically for KG to do this he'd need to surplus budget those categories with more money than they actually need in at least one of the given 3 months and then not overspend that surplus.

That is healthy budgeting, and for the kinds of balances that he's carrying in those categories shouldn't add up to more than $1-200 bucks but some of the interest on debt he's servicing is double digit rates where that $1-200 bucks over three months can accrue a pretty big net paydown over the inevitable life of those debts if plied toward debt today instead of sitting idle to pad budgets for the next three months.

Plus, budgeting spending and saving broadly, and actually sticking to those broad categories of budget discipline would be a huge point of progress for our impulsive protagonist.

I'm not sure if you're saying he should surplus budget in order to meet a budget, or not do it in order to pay down more debt but yeah, I don't see anything wrong with surplus budgeting (I actually use a pretty big surplus category to avoid having to track small savings categories over the year okay technically I'm overbudget in that right now but I'll make it up later) and then planning for the future with the assumption that you'll always spend exactly your budget.

It's important to remember that for KG, his inability to have an accurate budget is actually messing up his plans -- his debt paydown date keeps slipping, he keeps getting into a starve/binge cycle, when he gets a little bit over, part of him seems to say "gently caress it" and give up/get discouraged, he spends a fuckton of time playing shell games with numbers to try and squeeze out an extra 20 bucks, etc.

I just really, really want him to spend some time and get used to the idea of being able to follow a budget, even if it means he has to set his discretionary at $1000 and change his numbers around at the start of every month to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Oh for gently caress's sake. You idiots are actually taking him up on his charity bullshit again? Remember the cats that didn't get spayed because he couldn't stop going to Olive Garden? Three loving weeks is too long for KG to stick to a budget, let alone 3 months. Even the thread title was changed. Christ you guys have short memories. He's already drafting up weasel-out clauses. You blew out your grocery budget the day before the challenge started and still couldn't stay away from Darden's Tasty Delights.

• Locked thread