Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mooseontheloose posted:

It seems like if the Republicans wanted to reject OBama out of hand without being obstructionist they would allow him to nominate someone, draw out the hearing, and then vote the person down bringing you close to the election.

Of course the real problem Republicans have is if the Democrats retake the Senate AND win the Presidency and then someone more liberal can pass.

I don't know, I heard that Obama has a pretty strict litmus test of eating white babies, pissing on the original copy of the constitution, and burning a bible in order to be considered. Unless Bernie ads being able to sing the State Anthem of the USSR in Russian, on key, I'm not sure how much more liberal the nominee can get.

Obama is probably going to sit down with the people he would have considered to replace RBG and talk with them about whether or not they're down with having a front row seat to the circus. If one of them is up to it, he'll nominate them and spend the rest of the time forwarding his planned stump speeches for the Democratic Nominee to Mitch McConnell. Accompanied by a brief .mp3 of him in his most Campaign Obama voice saying "And I'm gonna be talking like this the whole time"

He'll also take into account Grassley, and if Jane Kelly is someone he's have trouble just stonewalling the gently caress out of, an unlikely thing for Grassley, she'll 100% be the nominee. Ted Cruz could help this along by being Ted Cruz enough the other Republicans in the Senate want to get this off his plate before he begins proudly wearing his King of the Ashes crown. While Majority leader Turtle is important, if Obama can somehow get the Judicial Committee to vote his nominee through it becomes much, much harder for McConnell to stonewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Litany Unheard posted:

Except that a recess appointment takes away a valuable political weapon during an election year, and only lasts until the end of the next Senate term. Plus it plays into the KING DICTATOR OBAMA narrative that the Republicans keep trying to make stick. I don't think Obama is dumb enough to do that when a tied court is already a net gain for liberals due to the makeup of the lower courts.

Yeah there's no benefit to a recess appointment. 4-4s are almost as good as 5-4s given that most circuits are liberal now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A recess appointment is also impossible because the Senate doesn't go into recess anymore, specifically to prevent recess appointments.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Pony posted:

A recess appointment is also impossible because the Senate doesn't go into recess anymore, specifically to prevent recess appointments.

Do it anyway, have the Supreme Court rule on the constitutionality of the Senate’s chicanery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

evilweasel posted:

Yeah there's no benefit to a recess appointment. 4-4s are almost as good as 5-4s given that most circuits are liberal now.

Is the union contribution case 4-4 now?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Do it anyway, have the Supreme Court rule on the constitutionality of the Senate’s chicanery.

NRLB v. Canning already settled this in favor of Congress.

The executive doesn't have the authority to determine when Congress is in session. Even if the session is 3 people motioning and closing business for the day in a minute.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

Yeah and if it's a tied ruling it goes back to in favor of the unions from the lower court.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

Yep, and the lower court ruled in favor of the unions. At the plaintiffs request so they could get to the Supreme Court faster :lol:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Radish posted:

Yeah and if it's a 4-4 ruling it goes back to in favor of the unions.

That's fantastic. The best thing Scalia ever did in his public life.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Platystemon posted:

I'd rather the focus be on the GOP being assholes refusing to do their constitutional duty and not a really public fight that plays right into their "Obama is ruling by bypassing Congress!" narrative.

Besides this has already been answered - the fake sessions totally count.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Harry Reid did a wonderful job constructing the pro forma sessions to block off Bush recess appointments, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the Republicans turned it around when they got the chance.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ayn rand hand job posted:

Harry Reid did a wonderful job constructing the pro forma sessions to block off Bush recess appointments, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the Republicans turned it around when they got the chance.

The best part is that it automatically grants the House the right to block recess appointments as both the House and Senate must agree to a recess. If the Senate wants to let Obama recess appoint and the House doesn't, the House can force the Senate to hold pro-forma sessions by refusing to consent to the Senate's recess.

This was exactly the scenario that led to Canning in the first place.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 14, 2016

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

evilweasel posted:

One nitpick: the senate is the only half of congress that gets a vote and it is not gerrymandered.

Well, it's sort of gerrymandered in that half of the senators are represent 16% of the people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, it's sort of gerrymandered in that half of the senators are represent 16% of the people.

It’s incredible that the Democrats remain competitive with that kind of institutional disadvantage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I'm honestly wondering if the likelihood of this going against public sector unions helped influence NATCA's (ATC union) support of the recent privatization bill. I know that more stable funding is a huge part of that decision, but I can't help but think that the supreme court case likely going against them also played a factor.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Yep, and the lower court ruled in favor of the unions. At the plaintiffs request so they could get to the Supreme Court faster :lol:

If the plaintiff asked to lose at the appellate level, why doesn't that cause standing issues?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KernelSlanders posted:

If the plaintiff asked to lose at the appellate level, why doesn't that cause standing issues?

You're trying to overturn binding Supreme Court precedent and you're aware that a circuit court can't do that, and you just say that while you believe your legal arguments are correct you view the Supreme Court case as controlling the circuit court's decision and that only the Supreme Court can reverse itself instead of trying to distinguish your case from the earlier one. It's still a controversy so there's still standing, you just concede you can't get the relief you seek at that level.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

euphronius posted:

The flip side of this is that Fisher II is still 4-3 in favor of killing affirmative action because of Kagan's recusal.

And it sets precedent.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

evilweasel posted:

You're trying to overturn binding Supreme Court precedent and you're aware that a circuit court can't do that, and you just say that while you believe your legal arguments are correct you view the Supreme Court case as controlling the circuit court's decision and that only the Supreme Court can reverse itself instead of trying to distinguish your case from the earlier one. It's still a controversy so there's still standing, you just concede you can't get the relief you seek at that level.

"My arguments are persevered. thank you for you for your time..." or something like that? Now that you say it, I kind of remember something like that happening in the oral arguments at the 7th circuit in McDonald v. Chicago.

Platystemon posted:

It’s incredible that the Democrats remain competitive with that kind of institutional disadvantage.

New England mitigates it slightly.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Was Goodwin Liu supposed to have been Obama's pick for SCOTUS, or would that have been something farther down the line?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Oh my god, this is beautiful :allears:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh my god, this is beautiful :allears:

Scalia dying is literally the best thing he has done for liberals

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
https://twitter.com/almightygod/status/698633940429570049
:eyepop:

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Yeah, not going to lie, whoever wins this presidency will most likely have a recession hit at some point and it's going to be rough.

Yep, the downside to a Dem winning this year is that if they don't also take the Senate then appointments will continue to not be filled and the 2018 midterms will likely hand the GOP an even large majority, if not a super majority, should we have any sort of recession. If it's bad enough then the incumbent is hosed in 2020 too.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

And Bob Cusack just finished explaining over the phone how the senate will attempt to technically stay in session for the next 11 months so the president can't make a recess appointment.

I hope that Kennedy ends up making a statement to the effect of "Democrats were mature enough to confirm me during an election cycle when Reagan appointed me. What does it say about Republicans who refuse to even consider President Obama's potential nominee?"

Because even if Roberts somehow manages to not make comments, should the GOP actually stonewall for months, Kennedy will probably get especially fed up by it. Though the GOP ignoring Kennedy's own appointment is worth it for moments like last night's debate where the moderator basically shamed Cruz in to silence.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Predicting it now- Obama sues Congress for not upholding a timely Sup Com process.

It goes 4-4.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KernelSlanders posted:

Representing "the people" is not why the Senate exists. It's there to represent the states' interests.

See: Federalism.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
direct election of senators makes that a bit muddier though

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cheekio posted:

Predicting it now- Obama sues Congress for not upholding a timely Sup Com process.

4-4 decision.

More like "refuse cert based on political question doctrine, unrecorded 8-0 vote"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Representing "the people" is not why the Senate exists. It's there to represent the states' interests.

It exists to slow down the house of representatives, which means it did its job during the Obama administration.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

andrew smash posted:

direct election of senators makes that a bit muddier though

Not really. It's the citizens of the state that elect their own senators. They then represent the interests of the state as a whole.

The House is dominated by the interests of urban areas. The Senate is dominated by the interests of rural areas. Forcing compromises that are acceptable to both is part of the way the system is supposed to work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cheekio posted:

It goes 4-4.

on what grounds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

The House is dominated by the interests of urban areas.

So what? People should have a say. Real estate shouldn’t.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CheeseSpawn posted:

I'm thinking the Republicans are going to pretend to throw up resistance but accept Obama's appointee. Basically, they can get a liberal moderate judge now or bet everything on the election and get a fully liberal judge if they lose.

you do know they could just never confirm anyone,right? there is no time limit and the gop is not losing the senate

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

So what? People should have a say. Real estate shouldn’t.

The food people in cities eat comes from people who live on farms in rural areas, for example. They depend on each other and should respect each others' needs.

Short-sighted policies tilted toward urban centers can have disastrous long-term consequences.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

That's some top notch analysis right there. See also: 17th Amendment.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ayn rand hand job posted:

on what grounds

I'm just a humble country lawyer but it seems to me that

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Cheekio posted:

It goes 4-4.

It goes political question doctrine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deteriorata posted:

Short-sighted policies tilted toward urban centers can have disastrous long-term consequences.

I don’t want to tilt anything toward urban centers.

Why yes, lots of people happen to live in urban centers. Their votes shouldn’t count for any more or any less than anyone else’s.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Does anyone really think that the GOP are going to fall in line to confirm President Clinton or Sanders' nominee? I don't see why we won't be at 8 until another one of them dies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

Does anyone really think that the GOP are going to fall in line to confirm President Clinton or Sanders' nominee? I don't see why we won't be at 8 until another one of them dies.

Because in the event of President [either of those] they probably won't hold the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

computer parts posted:

Because in the event of President [either of those] they probably won't hold the Senate.

They won't have 60 votes.