Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Watching last night's debate made me realise that Carson may be the craziest person still in the race. He thinks trying to avoid civilian casualties when you're bombing terrorists is asinine, proposess a flat tax plan in which even the poorest members of society are forced to contribute, and proudly declares that instead of fining bankers for breaking the law, we should abolish all regulations to foster economic growth. Even Cruz' statements were more moderate than his.

I'm starting to think the only reason he doesn't get called out on his insane ideas is because no one can listen to him for more than thirty seconds without falling asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Watching last night's debate made me realise that Carson may be the craziest person

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

so now even gop debate audiences are shills? this keeps up and "real america" is going to consist of an isolationist enclave in the blue ridge mountains that shoots people on sight and doesn't even have wifi

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Trump is a drat mastermind.

He set himself up SO GOOD for the general election last night. Aggressively attacking George W. Bush's record, defending supporting funding for Planned Parenthood services for women's health under heavy fire.

He is going to own the poo poo out of Hillary Clinton on foreign policy and the middle east and hang her not only by her poo poo record as S.O.S., but by burying her right along with the Bushes on the Iraq war and all the problems over there that sprung from it.

But the planned parenthood thing was even more important. Romney was a centrist moderate, he kicked Obama's teeth in in the economy debate, so what did the Democrats and the media do? They laughably, yet successfully, pivoted to women's health and painted Romney as somehow being an extremist. When Clinton tries that garbage on Trump, he can say he defended women's health and funding for PP under heavy attack from Bush and the Republcians, "go look at the tape."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sneak peek for November.

Boosted_C5 posted:

But the planned parenthood thing was even more important. Romney was a centrist moderate, he kicked Obama's teeth in in the economy debate, so what did the Democrats and the media do? They laughably, yet successfully, pivoted to women's health and painted Romney as somehow being an extremist. When Clinton tries that garbage on Trump, he can say he defended women's health and funding for PP under heavy attack from Bush and the Republcians, "go look at the tape."

It cements my belief that Trump is the best Republican candidate, but won't it hurt him during the primaries? What's the reaction in SC?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 14, 2016

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

It cements my belief that Trump is be the best Republican candidate, but won't it hurt him during the primaries? What's the reaction in SC?

He hurt himself. My wife was really turned off and said "I just can't vote for this guy." But did he hurt himself enough to lose a 15 point lead? I doubt it, seeing as the field behind him is crowded and NO ONE broke out last night. Case in point, after saying she couldn't vote for him, my wife also added that she had no idea who the hell she was going to vote for now.

BanjoFish
Nov 24, 2007

Boosted_C5 posted:

How do you think the planned parenthood stuff will play in SC? It strikes me as alienating to the Cruz block of voters, which seems really risky for Trump down the line.

E: beaten.

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/698755140602499073

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
this primary is one of those money tornado machines but filled with piss

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Anyone looking to argue politics with more people, is welcome to join my Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1391424144506762/

It's 90% lefties, but there's a few die hard conservatives.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
go away jeb

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

mormonpartyboat posted:

this primary is one of those money tornado machines but filled with piss

no it is filled with money too, but the piss gets on it and the donors get sad

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Samuel Clemens posted:

Watching last night's debate made me realise that Carson may be the craziest person still in the race. He thinks trying to avoid civilian casualties when you're bombing terrorists is asinine, proposess a flat tax plan in which even the poorest members of society are forced to contribute, and proudly declares that instead of fining bankers for breaking the law, we should abolish all regulations to foster economic growth. Even Cruz' statements were more moderate than his.

I'm starting to think the only reason he doesn't get called out on his insane ideas is because no one can listen to him for more than thirty seconds without falling asleep.

Carson is just another idiot true believer. At least the other candidates understand how politics works (even Trump) and just have bad opinions.

I'm gonna miss him, though. He's like Ron Paul and Herman Cain, the moderators can use him to defuse situations.

Montasque posted:

Cruz and Trump surrogates are pushing the 'RNC STACKED THE DEBATE AUDIENCE' talking point.

If that ends up being the top story out of this then it's a big win for Trump.

Trump was smart to establish this in the last debate, now the media can pick up on it whenever they want.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

That audience was so disgustingly Team Jebrio! and Trump, Kasich and Cruz STILL managed to come off well.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3599372&perpage=40&pagenumber=826#post456254498

if you're curious how the "base" reacted to the debate, gently caress You And Diebold did a good freep roundup from their debate thread.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Trump is KILLING it on Meet the Press.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://youtu.be/xssVcmERQAM?t=59s

Is that Ben Carson chortling? Hilarious.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/politicalwire/status/698887033473863680

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

really missing all the loser.com posters now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Harold Stassen posted:

https://youtu.be/xssVcmERQAM?t=59s

Is that Ben Carson chortling? Hilarious.

Kasich

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Samuel Clemens posted:

how was "I think the pyramids were actually built to store grain" not crazy enough to get him there already

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

So we can now cross "praising Planned Parenthood" and "Bush did 9/11" off the list of things that will stop Donald Trump.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
:gowron:

When was this taken?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jeb and Carson tied at 6th

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Korelle posted:

So we can now cross "praising Planned Parenthood" and "Bush did 9/11" off the list of things that will stop Donald Trump.

That polls data is from before the debate.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
We now have 3 South Carolina polls conducted post Iowa and New Hampshire.

Average Result:

Trump - 36.8%
Cruz - 18.5%
Rubio - 14.2%
Bush - 10%
Kasich - 8.8%
Carson - 5.3%

Trump's Bush/Iraq/Planned Parenthood/etc. gamble last night was brilliant. NO WAY he loses all of an 18 point lead in 1 week, and he scored MAJOR points and set himself up big time for the general election vs. Clinton.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

evilweasel posted:

That polls data is from before the debate.
Yeah I went and looked the poll was taken February 10-12th.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The candidates trying to explain how Obama not nominating so the next President can do that instead is more democratic than letting the current President is fun to watch, although Chuck Todd is not the guy you want challenging them on it.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

AllanGordon posted:

really missing all the loser.com posters now

the golden drones won't :nsa:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boosted_C5 posted:

We now have 3 South Carolina polls conducted post Iowa and New Hampshire.

Average Result:

Trump - 36.8%
Cruz - 18.5%
Rubio - 14.2%
Bush - 10%
Kasich - 8.8%
Carson - 5.3%

Trump's Bush/Iraq/Planned Parenthood/etc. gamble last night was brilliant. NO WAY he loses all of an 18 point lead in 1 week, and he scored MAJOR points and set himself up big time for the general election vs. Clinton.

I'm suprised Rubio is still beating Jeb! but I don't think Jeb! will drop out here even if he loses to Rubio.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
How long has Trump called Iraq the "Harvard of terrorism"? So good.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Here's some HOT TAKES from National Review:

Rich Lowry: Trump Was Half-Crazed, But Does Anyone Care?

quote:

Certainly Trump’s behavior reinforces the idea that he’s disruptor and not just another politician, and Republican voters might not mind so much that one of the candidates is outspokenly anti-Iraq war (even if he takes it too far). Trump continues to be able to interrupt everyone else with impunity and act the Big Man on stage, with no one really able or willing to assert themselves against him.

Jeb is trying the hardest. He continues to improve–he seems a bit more relaxed and authoritative every debate– and did better against Trump than ever before. But some of his strongest moments were defending his family and although that is honorable, I’m not sure how much that gets him. He has still not figured out how to clearly best Trump, even when he has the better of the argument.

David French: Nobody Won The South Carolina Debate-- Conservatism Lost

quote:

I’m done. Until the fundamental dynamic of the GOP primary race changes, I’m done with parsing debate winners and losers. So long as Donald Trump dominates an overly-large field of ambitious, fratricidal competitors, we will continue to see absurdities...

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4B_jDp0ffI

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Mr. Pumroy posted:

so now even gop debate audiences are shills? this keeps up and "real america" is going to consist of an isolationist enclave in the blue ridge mountains that shoots people on sight and doesn't even have wifi

To be fair they were pretty obviously shills. There aren't that many people excited about Jeb! in that state let alone enough to fill a room like that.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
I can't help but think Walker got off easy by dropping out so early. Imagine the fun Trump would have had with him.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Boosted_C5 posted:

He is going to own the poo poo out of Hillary Clinton

Who?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

CBS conducted a poll of Republican and Independents who watched the debate. Here's who they thought won:

Rubio, 32
Trump, 24
Kasich, 19
Cruz, 12
Carson, 8
Bush, 5

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-who-won-the-cbs-news-republican-debate-2016/

quote:

Marco Rubio is the clear favorite among Republicans, while independents are largely divided between Trump, Kasich, and Rubio.

Donald Trump has been leading national polls for months, and he is seen by Republican and independent debate watchers as the most likely -- with 42 percent -- of the six candidates to win in November should he get the nomination. But Marco Rubio comes in second (22 percent), beating out Ted Cruz (14 percent) by eight points.

In light of the breaking news about the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, the candidates were asked during the debate about presidential appointments to the Supreme Court. No candidate last night seemed to have a clear advantage as to who is most trusted to appoint justices to the Supreme Court.

Donald Trump is the clear leader on values. Twenty-seven percent of Republicans and independents who watched the debate pick Trump as the candidate who most shares their values, with Ben Carson and Marco Rubio tied for second place, each with 16 percent. Rubio does better than Kasich among Republicans, while Kasich does better than Rubio among independents.

But when it comes to the candidate who is best prepared to be President, Republicans and independent debate watchers choose John Kasich first (22 percent), just edging out Donald Trump (20 percent) by two points.

Still, Donald Trump enjoys a strong leading position on all the issues measured in this poll: the economy, immigration, terrorism, and bringing needed change. Rubio comes in second - ahead of Cruz - on immigration. Kasich comes in second on the economy and jobs.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Montasque posted:

CBS conducted a poll of Republican and Independents who watched the debate. Here's who they thought won:

Rubio, 32
Trump, 24
Kasich, 19
Cruz, 12
Carson, 8
Bush, 5

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-who-won-the-cbs-news-republican-debate-2016/

Rubio at 32? They must love the gishcocaine gallop he was stuck in all night

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
With Scalia dead, RBG should troll all the "wait a year" talk, and announce her immediate resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

• Locked thread