Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The worst thing about Predators is that it's a Predator movie without a single memorable kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowman_McK posted:

The worst thing about Predators is that it's a Predator movie without a single memorable kill.

The whole movie is entirely unmemorable. I absolutely saw it, but I remember almost nothing other than the kinda lovely twist ending you saw coming a mile away. I barely remember any predators in the movie, just a bunch of criminals and bad dudes arguing in the jungle then it's over. Few things in the movie made me angry, but nothing was interesting or exciting either. It was just bland and mediocre. At least a really bad movie can be entertaining and memorable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Says you. I very much remember Walton Goggins' death scene. It owns.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baronjutter posted:

The whole movie is entirely unmemorable. I absolutely saw it, but I remember almost nothing other than the kinda lovely twist ending you saw coming a mile away. I barely remember any predators in the movie, just a bunch of criminals and bad dudes arguing in the jungle then it's over. Few things in the movie made me angry, but nothing was interesting or exciting either. It was just bland and mediocre. At least a really bad movie can be entertaining and memorable.

I remember Lawrence Fishburne was in it. I remember some sort of strung up mutilated body in the woods. And that's literally all I can remember. It's one of those non-movies that barely stuck around in my brain even while I was watching it. Like Sin City 2, 300 2 and Now You See Me.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you can't remember the part where the dude swordfights a predator I don't know what to tell you

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harime Nui posted:

If you can't remember the part where the dude swordfights a predator I don't know what to tell you

You'd think reading that sentence would bring back memories but nope.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators was so much fun in the theater. The crowed was into it, and everyone was cheering.

I can't wait for Shane Black's Predator movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Was kinda meh. Was expecting more gore.

I wasn't talking about gore.

Harime Nui posted:

the aliens forcing the dude to have sex with his delimbed mother

I was trying to play coy about this part, because :stonk: x 100.

CelticPredator posted:

It's Labyrinth. A comic book I brought to school when I was 8.

Jesus god, dude :magical:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Count me among those who totally saw predators in the theater and remembers pretty much nothing about it. Lawrence Fishburne's lair, and... Some kind of alien dog things? That's it. I think I remember more about the theater itself than the movie. Like, there was a whole family watching it - mom, dad, infant, toddler, and young grade school kid. I thought that was weird. Weirder even than me having seen all the alien & predator movies by the age of eight.. At least I had to sneak around to watch R-rated movies at my friend's house after his parents went to bed.

And Labyrinth is, out of the handful of aliens comics I've read, definitely the best. I recommend it, but it's not so mind-blowing that it will necessarily stand up to being hyped to hell and back. Go into it after reading four lovely Aliens comics, though, and it will seem like Pulitzer material.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Labyrinth is the best alien related comic by far, but that's really really not saying much.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

That's the perfect example of the film's shortcomings. It's a blatant homage to Billy's death in the first Predator, but while that was a futile gesture, and he doesn't even die on screen, the small man with a short sword successfully swordfights a giant Alien. It 'reimagines' the scene into something completely loving toothless.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the perfect example of the film's shortcomings. It's a blatant homage to Billy's death in the first Predator, but while that was a futile gesture, and he doesn't even die on screen, the small man with a short sword successfully swordfights a giant Alien. It 'reimagines' the scene into something completely loving toothless.

Billie didn't have Hanzo steel and he fought him on a log.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Count me among those who totally saw predators in the theater and remembers pretty much nothing about it. Lawrence Fishburne's lair, and... Some kind of alien dog things? That's it. I think I remember more about the theater itself than the movie. Like, there was a whole family watching it - mom, dad, infant, toddler, and young grade school kid. I thought that was weird. Weirder even than me having seen all the alien & predator movies by the age of eight.. At least I had to sneak around to watch R-rated movies at my friend's house after his parents went to bed.

Waiting for the part you say Prometheus is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Well yes. This is a big issue I have with the movie. And most Alien/Predator sequels. They rely way too much on nods and references. It's really annoying.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Well yes. This is a big issue I have with the movie. And most Alien/Predator sequels. They rely way too much on nods and references. It's really annoying.

Every movie with sequels does this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sure. But I still resent the Alien/Predator movies for doing it. They should aspire to something greater.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Delta Force can't teach you the secret techniques of the 893, bro.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It's not just that it's an homage, it's an homage that is markedly worse than the original scene and misunderstands why the original scene works.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowman_McK posted:

It's not just that it's an homage, it's an homage that is markedly worse than the original scene and misunderstands why the original scene works.
But that's because it's not just an homage, it's a subversion - Hanzo succeeds where Billy fails. The movie is kind of chock-full of them, and that's what makes the movie interesting (and, yes, memorable).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Most of the things that you refer to as 'nods and references' are just themes.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also it's been canon since Predator 2 that the one in the first movie was like this super-ancient fuckoff badass veteran of a thousand hunts and compared to him most Predators suck eggs raw, your average jerkoff unblooded crabface is stronger and tougher but can totally get their poo poo wrecked by a sufficiently tough human in melee so lol deal nerds

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Harime Nui posted:

Also it's been canon since Predator 2 that the one in the first movie was like this super-ancient fuckoff badass veteran of a thousand hunts and compared to him most Predators suck eggs raw, your average jerkoff unblooded crabface is stronger and tougher but can totally get their poo poo wrecked by a sufficiently tough human in melee so lol deal nerds
That's the thing a lot of Predator fanboys overlook or fail to recognize, Predators are pretty tough and badass and have some cool tech, but they're not really looking for a fair fight. This is true even in the first movie, where the Predator snipes people with energy weapons while invisible, and gets taken out with a log once it's stripped of all its fancy gear.

And I'm saying this as one of the aforementioned Predator fanboys.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I'm saying this as one of the aforementioned Predator fanboys.
username and post do not compute

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Everblight posted:

username and post do not compute
I wasn't always a Predator fan, I kinda got drawn into it by the AvP comics and old Kenner toys when I was a kid. I like Aliens more and find them more interesting, but Predators are still cool, and having them face off is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Predators are literally intergalactic big game hunters. They're not interested in fighting a tiger in hand-to-hand combat and the ones that do are kinda fuckin' dumb and probably get their asses mauled.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Predators are literally intergalactic big game hunters. They're not interested in fighting a tiger in hand-to-hand combat and the ones that do are kinda fuckin' dumb and probably get their asses mauled.
You're half right, and it illustrates both the point I was making (Predators aren't nearly as badass as fanboys would make them out to be) and another one that a lot of people miss: Predators are highly individualistic.

The first movie only shows us one Predator doing stuff, but right from the first sequel we've got a new Predator with very different (but still recognizable) armor and equipment, who uses different tactics and reacts to situations differently. And then to hammer the point home, the movie ends with another 9 Predators showing up, and they're all very obviously unique individuals, with unique armor, weapons, and even different skin colorations.

Just about the only thing "all" Predators have in common is that they hunt stuff, but what they hunt, why they do it, how they do it, etc, can be highly varied. The movies don't really explore this on anything other than a surface level (since the Predators are largely cast as "movie monster antagonists", so their pathos isn't exactly at the forefront), but some of the better comics, novels, and videogames tackle it from time to time.
I find it really refreshing to see an extraterrestrial race that doesn't fall into the common Star Wars/Star Trek trope of every alien race being homogeneous, and it makes the Predators a good foil to the single-minded Aliens.

Likewise it makes me roll my eyes a bit when people, Predator fanboys or not, say things like "the Predator in ____________ didn't act right". I feel like that's missing one of their biggest, most interesting aspects.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 14, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

xeno do you add this stuff to wikis or something? I feel like you've enough knowledge stored it needs to be preserved in a better manner than CD posts.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I had a fan website back in the day that was sort of a proto-wiki, but I didn't have enough free time to maintain it.

I've added some minor stuff to wikis here and there, but I just don't have the time or patience to argue with the kind of autistic hyper-spergs that wikis tend to attract.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Most of the things that you refer to as 'nods and references' are just themes.

Only because you like them and want them to be.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked the opening of Predators with Brody just waking up in midair falling into the jungle, and smashing to the title. Also the scene where they see a panorama of moons and realize they aren't on earth. The use of red flares for light in Fishburne's lair also led to some pretty shots. Enjoyed it more than expected and much more than 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Predator 2 is amazing because it's like an 80s Italian and/or Cannon Films "aliens are cool? okay put one of those in, uh, vigilante cops are big right now and, uh, voodoo? Yeah throw it all in" movie except with actual actors and budget.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I've added some minor stuff to wikis here and there, but I just don't have the time or patience to argue with the kind of autistic hyper-spergs that wikis tend to attract.

CelticPredator posted:

Only because you like them and want them to be.

Also, the scene with Billy in the original Predator was the subversion of the "epic knife fight" trope. Predators wasn't a subversion of anything. It was a cliche "epic knife fight" complete with dumb fight poses and "his blade cut me, he moves so fast" bullshit. There's nothing subverting or interesting about it.

It's like saying the heavy gunner guys death was a subversion of Jesse Ventura's character because he was Russian instead of American.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The "sword fight" between the Yakuza guy and the Predator was dumb as hell and thenlaziest possible way to end the laziest character in all of both franchises.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Also, the scene with Billy in the original Predator was the subversion of the "epic knife fight" trope. Predators wasn't a subversion of anything. It was a cliche "epic knife fight" complete with dumb fight poses and "his blade cut me, he moves so fast" bullshit. There's nothing subverting or interesting about it.

It's like saying the heavy gunner guys death was a subversion of Jesse Ventura's character because he was Russian instead of American.

That's a cool opinion and you're welcome to it. If you don't recognize a subversion when you see it, then that's okay too. :)

By definition, when a scene is set up one way (especially when it's identical to a scene another movie in the same series) and plays out another way, that's a subversion.

And you're wrong: the huge, seemingly gruff Russian with a mini gun who ends up being a family man and the friendliest, most caring character in the group is very much a subversion of Jesse Ventura's ultra-macho badass with a mini gun.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This thread is the first time I've ever even read of his death being compared to Billy's. Everything about how it's shot and done is done to evoke cheap Yakuza flicks and the guys with swords charging at each other for one fatal slash seen in a billion Japanese movies and comics since the 50s. That they both die instead of one of them isn't even subversion of anything.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Sure. But I still resent the Alien/Predator movies for doing it. They should aspire to something greater.

This is really what they should aspire to: https://youtu.be/33qOEdNJDtk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

This thread is the first time I've ever even read of his death being compared to Billy's. Everything about how it's shot and done is done to evoke cheap Yakuza flicks and the guys with swords charging at each other for one fatal slash seen in a billion Japanese movies and comics since the 50s. That they both die instead of one of them isn't even subversion of anything.
Things can be a subversion/homage of more than one thing at a time.

Here, I'll describe a scene from a Predator movie:

The silent warrior character willingly stays behind to face down the alien monster in honorable single combat using bladed weapons.

Which movie did I just describe?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Things can be a subversion/homage of more than one thing at a time.

Here, I'll describe a scene from a Predator movie:

The silent warrior character willingly stays behind to face down the alien monster in honorable single combat using bladed weapons.

Which movie did I just describe?

If only you included the outcome. Because that's what makes one of them interesting and the other not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowman_McK posted:

If only you included the outcome. Because that's what makes one of them interesting and the other not.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I will say that it would have been a more deliberate subversion if it had been shot exactly like Billy's death (not showing Hanzo killed, only hearing him scream), only to reveal later that he hadn't died and had actually defeated the Predator.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I forget, did they explicitly say Hanzo was descended from the dead samurai they found in that cave? I seem to recall he spots a mon or something on the armor and says something like "this man was my ancestor," with the implication the Predators follow certain human bloodlines to look for worthy opponents but this could be an elaborate headcanon that's grown into a fake memory I guess?

e: Also now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't the woman supposed to be Bolivian Army but got changed to being IDF at the last moment for... some reason? Hence the line about jungles that makes absolutely no sense. (I mean, there are no jungles in Bolivia either but at least that puts her on the right continent?)

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

I will say that it would have been a more deliberate subversion if it had been shot exactly like Billy's death (not showing Hanzo killed, only hearing him scream), only to reveal later that he hadn't died and had actually defeated the Predator.

That would have been way, way worse. So well done.