Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Plethora posted:

I honestly don't remember that in Narnia.

That was the entirety of the Tash stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I think it's just really hard to write an appealing work of fiction about the ideas of your religion or your political party that comes off thoughtful and not like a poorly concealed advertisement, rarely ever managed, and while I'm not mad at that comic I didn't know existed yesterday for trying the caliber of writing there so far doesn't really lead me to expect it's gonna be this century's Paradise Lost.

Plethora posted:

I honestly don't remember that in Narnia. I DO remember the hilariously self-critical sections, particularly the entire last book where a donkey and baboon dress up like Aslan and trick his followers into doing what they want, which is an obvious metaphor for lovely Christians pretending to know God's demands and abusing the hell out of the public. Not to mention the number of times Aslan fails his people and everything falls to garbage, showing that not even deities are perfect.

It was critical of ALL religions and theological philosophy, actually.

It's mostly concentrated in The Last Battle which boils down to a very conventional end times narrative where Tash (i.e. wizard Allah) turns into a giant skeleton monster and leads the armies of darkness in the final battle of good and evil etc. The rest of the Narnia books, Out of the Silent Planet etc. tend to handle dogma pretty critically and arrive at some very non-doctrinaire conclusions but Lewis ain't exactly modern-style multi-culti.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 14, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at everybody ignoring Screwtape Letters.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Plethora posted:

I honestly don't remember that in Narnia. I DO remember the hilariously self-critical sections, particularly the entire last book where a donkey and baboon dress up like Aslan and trick his followers into doing what they want, which is an obvious metaphor for lovely Christians pretending to know God's demands and abusing the hell out of the public. Not to mention the number of times Aslan fails his people and everything falls to garbage, showing that not even deities are perfect.

It was critical of ALL religions and theological philosophy, actually.

Books 3 and 7 cast swarthy musslemen as the villains. While this would appear to be a straightfoward demonisation of Islam, it's clarified at the end of book 7 that it doesn't matter who you think you worship, only what you actually do.

Some people find that to be a trite and patronising cop-out though, so they continue to call Lewis racist.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's mostly concentrated in The Last Battle which boils down to a very conventional end times narrative where Tash (i.e. wizard Allah) turns into a giant skeleton monster and leads the armies of darkness in the final battle of good and evil etc.

Tash is actually more of a Shiva. Wizard Allah would be Aslan's father, ie the ancient space wizard Abrahamic God who never appears in the books, ie the same situation we have in reality where the Muslim and Christian gods are known by different names but are functionally the exact same dude.

The Arab dudes say they're worshipping Tash, and some of them are, but there's also a bunch of them who do so in a way that's peaceful and contemplative (you know, like most real muslims).

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 14, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And in the last book most of them don't even believe in Tash.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really did like the bit at the end with Tash where basically the moral was even if you believe in the "wrong" god, you still can get to Narnia-heaven if you do things right. It's more charitable than some other interpretations of christianity.

CS Lewis is an odd duck, religiously speaking. He became an atheist at 15, and one of the people who helped convert him back to christianity was JRR Tolkien of all people. In a way, the Narnia books were in part him figuring things out for himself. He gets even weirder in his space books.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really did like the bit at the end with Tash where basically the moral was even if you believe in the "wrong" god, you still can get to Narnia-heaven if you do things right. It's more charitable than some other interpretations of christianity.

But then again, Susan gets hard-core rejected by Heaven for doing nothing more than being an adult woman, if I'm recalling correctly. She enjoys looking pretty! She is not in my sight, or whatever.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

But then again, Susan gets hard-core rejected by Heaven for doing nothing more than being an adult woman, if I'm recalling correctly. She enjoys looking pretty! She is not in my sight, or whatever.

Yeah, she stops being a friend of Aslan because she puts on lipstick which is the same thing as becoming a whore.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
In a world chock full of fantasy races, what could possibly be so shocking that evil cannibals would shriek and run at the sight of it? Or turn an entire village against a friend? When they've already established that she's not Drath. This Book 2 reveal better have some payoff.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Jackard posted:

In a world chock full of fantasy races, what could possibly be so shocking that evil cannibals would shriek and run at the sight of it? Or turn an entire village against a friend?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jackard posted:

In a world chock full of fantasy races, what could possibly be so shocking that evil cannibals would shriek and run at the sight of it? Or turn an entire village against a friend?

hello.jpg

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think it's just really hard to write an appealing work of fiction about the ideas of your religion or your political party that comes off thoughtful and not like a poorly concealed advertisement,

Nonsense. You just need a proper religion first.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

Actually it's because she wasn't dead yet :ssh: That's the ending of book 7, they all die in a train crash.

Of course the reason she wasn't dead was because she wasn't hanging out with the narnia fanclub on account of being too worldly, and they do go on a bit about that, but details. Nowhere is it stated that she's out forever; much like the dwarves (sat around a banquet table in outer heaven yet believing they're still locked in a dark stable at the end of the world) she's got an eternity to get in to heaven, she pretty much just has to realise it's there.

e/ I wouldn't fault anyone for still disagreeing with this, because objective morality and explicit deism, no matter how liberal, are still things it's possible to reasonably want to reject; I'd just like for people to respond to the message that's actually there rather than one that isn't.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 14, 2016

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bobulus posted:

Uh, that's not actually what happens. She doesn't get rejected by Heaven, she doesn't show up in Narnia because she's the only one of the cast who doesn't die in the train crash. Aslan says outright that she'll end up in the new Narnia when she dies, if I remember it right.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

There is talk of how she's not a "friend of Narnia" anymore. I don't think it's out of place to criticize Lewis on this one.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is talk of how she's not a "friend of Narnia" anymore. I don't think it's out of place to criticize Lewis on this one.

I thought the whole point was that Narnia was just some British WW2 children playing pretend, and she grew up and stop wanting to play pretend? but I guess fundamentalists of a certain age like quoting Lewis or whatever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

Also there are like 4 new PBFs holy poo poo how did I not know this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

Well looks like everything worked out in the end.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kvx687 posted:

Uh, that's not actually what happens. She doesn't get rejected by Heaven, she doesn't show up in Narnia because she's the only one of the cast who doesn't die in the train crash. Aslan says outright that she'll end up in the new Narnia when she dies, if I remember it right.

I googled a bit:

quote:

Even then, Lewis indicates, it’s hardly hellfire for Susan. He wrote to a young reader in 1957: “The books don’t tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there’s plenty of time for her to mend and perhaps she will get to Aslan’s country in the end . . . in her own way.”

Seems like if you're willing to accept that is up to you.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Also there are like 4 new PBFs holy poo poo how did I not know this.

Achewood's been updating a bit too if anyone wasn't aware

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You know, speaking of fantasy webcomics and religion, I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Vattu yet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
evan dahm's work is really good read archivally (like, easily among the best webcomic work out there) but individual pages generally aren't as punchy as other stuff i read, so it's hard to keep up with regularly

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I had kind of guessed at the religious angle in Daughter of the Lilies before it was explicitly revealed, but I don't blame people for being blindsided by it. If you haven't read a lot of Christian literature, it's going to seem to come out of nowhere.

I don't think the characters' attitudes being referred to here are about persecution of Christians, per se. I think it's more about fear of the new and different. That said, I'll be happy to eliminate it from my bookmarks if it goes too far that way. I am worried by the author's direct reference of Narnia. The earlier Narnia books were my favorites growing up, but as the series went on, the stories themselves started to become subservient to proselytization; I'm happy to read a story that wants to tell me to think something, but it needs to be a story first and a polemic second, and the later Narnia books drifted into the wrong end of that spectrum. Particularly when Lewis takes it upon himself to jab at people or places he doesn't like, which, again, happens more and more as the series goes on - witness him making GBS threads on the entire concept of scientific progress in the second-to-last book, The Magician's Nephew. (It's sort of like including H.G. Wells as an unwitting agent of Satan in That Hideous Strength; a self-indulgent, somewhat mean-spirited way of giving the middle finger to whatever you don't like in your narrative. If you want to do this, for God's sake be subtle.)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I did like Lilles' portrayal of hell though. Very stylish.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tollymain posted:

evan dahm's work is really good read archivally (like, easily among the best webcomic work out there) but individual pages generally aren't as punchy as other stuff i read, so it's hard to keep up with regularly

He definitely works pretty exclusively long-form (and I love what he does) and unlike some other webcomics does not try to land a joke or significant beat on every single page (which is certainly impressive when you can tell a long-form story and make each page stand alone day by day -- not sure there are many creators who pull that off).

Speaking of other long-form comics I enjoy, Unsounded is due to return from its chapter-end hiatus tomorrow, and Blindsprings has been updating at a solid three pages a week for a while now and the story has definitely picked up the pace.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Religion in comics is cool dudes.

http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=11

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'm willing to give Daughter of Lilies a chance; honestly, the post under the comic is more worrying to me than the actual page itself. If there hadn't been a whole conversation about it I probably would have just read past it without a second thought.

does kind of explain the author's childish censoring of the middle finger and swearing though, while having no problem with showing blood and gore. :v:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

FlyinPingu posted:

does kind of explain the author's childish censoring of the middle finger and swearing though, while having no problem with showing blood and gore. :v:

I found that a bit a precious too. If you've just shown someone getting bisected by a sword, the word "poo poo" should not send you into conniptions.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You know, speaking of fantasy webcomics and religion, I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Vattu yet.

Tollymain posted:

Vattu is probably one of the best webcomics currently running, and Rice Boy and Order of Tales are two of the best webcomics ever made. But following them as they update can be pretty difficult, and it's really easy to lose the myriad subplots just reading 2-3 pages a week. It'll probably be another masterpiece once it's all completed.

If we're talking about religion in webcomics, Balderdash! and Goodbye to Halos have both heavily implied a religious angle to their stories, though both of them aren't that far into their stories so it's hard to say

also K6BD exists

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SynthOrange posted:

Religion in comics is cool dudes.

http://jessemoynihan.com/?p=11

I feel like there are a million little references in this comic that I don't get and my enjoyment of it is diminished because of it.
Which is a shame because it's pretty darn great.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

FlyinPingu posted:

I'm willing to give Daughter of Lilies a chance; honestly, the post under the comic is more worrying to me than the actual page itself. If there hadn't been a whole conversation about it I probably would have just read past it without a second thought.

I would have retroactively really liked that if it had only applied to SPACE JESUS it would have been a cute touch. As it is I enjoy the comic quite a lot regardless of the sudden drama that people seem to have in reaction to the twist haha, thanks for linking it Nuns with Guns.

Blackgrass is also super cool so another thanks out to Tollymain for linking that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kill six billion demons has religion as an element in the story but it's also a story where capital-g God committed holy suicide, the gods that came after are all long-dead (barring a twist), and the most powerful beings that rule all creation and call themselves demiurges are just really loving powerful people

idk if that really compares to any real-world religions or serves as a commentary on them :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

I found that a bit a precious too. If you've just shown someone getting bisected by a sword, the word "poo poo" should not send you into conniptions.

What's really strange is that there is nothing in the english language that requires you to write someone flipping someone else off or using mild profanities. Why bother to write that dialogue if you're just going to self censor?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

kill six billion demons has religion as an element in the story but it's also a story where capital-g God committed holy suicide, the gods that came after are all long-dead (barring a twist), and the most powerful beings that rule all creation and call themselves demiurges are just really loving powerful people

idk if that really compares to any real-world religions or serves as a commentary on them :v:

It's sorta a mashup of Buddhism and Gnosticism but most importantly it is not the author's actual religion that they are trying to convert you to

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

It's really just Abraham religions that tend to kick up a fuss. Elements from practically all other world religions get mixed up into fiction without much of a problem. That might just have to do with western audiences though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Pavlov posted:

It's really just Abraham religions that tend to kick up a fuss. Elements from practically all other world religions get mixed up into fiction without much of a problem. That might just have to do with western audiences though.

Lot of Judeo-Christian stuff going into the melting pot in Japanese games/anime/manga.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

True, but they only tend to incorporate stylistic aspects, not theological ones. So, there'll be angel wings and pope hats, but not running themes of the meek inheriting the earth (*cough* Tolkien).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

FlyinPingu posted:

She kind of erratically censors gore, too. Like when someone is still alive but has gaping injuries she frames shots to obscure the nastier bits of the injury, but a dude is dead and got his innards munched on? Yeah show that all the way!

I didn't think to include a trigger warning of a cameo for a Abrahamic god because idk it didn't feature into it that heavily before, and I didn't know if it would be a big thing in the future. Clearly Thistle's magic is god-powered but it seems too early to judge whether that'll lead to the entire narrative getting pulled into some Christ parable or if it's going to be interesting table dressing to a wider story or what. It'd be awesome if Thistle's head was a giant flaming wheel or something under the hood though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I just caught up with Daughter of the Lilies, after following the link posted earlier in the thread. I have a weakness for orcs in adventuring parties, you see. Neither the latest page nor the newspost bothered me. Her expressed admiration for Doug TenNapel, on the other hand, has me leery of future developments. Perhaps this is unfair on my part--he is by most accounts a talented artist and storyteller who doesn't let his faith run rampant over the plot. Unfortunately I'm unable to bring myself to read any of his work after discovering he was a godawful homophobe.

However the only tenet of faith expressed in Lilies thus far is "do not summon demons." I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt for now. She may not be the next Tolkien, but I can't begrudge someone wanting to make the attempt.

• Locked thread