Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

IronicDongz posted:

still gotta win with Centaur, Deep Elf, Demigod, Felid, Formicid, Halfling, Human, Kobold, Naga, Octopode, Tengu, Troll, Vampire, and Vine Stalker for greatplayer!!

e: why's abyssal knight not recommended for troll? it seems pretty good

Can't distortion-brand your claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

IronicDongz posted:

be like me and play 2,692 games so that most threat levels are permanently drilled into your head and every time you win your win rate increases by like 0.04%

Play like me and do this only don't really learn threat levels that well and keep getting in too deep and dying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Speleothing posted:

Can't distortion-brand your claws.
That's not really the important part of lugonu imo. a-c'ing away nearly all uniques you run into instantly is pretty sweet, as is corruption and basically a free 3rd rune

Also I've gotten a +6 ring of evasion, +5 ring of slaying, and amulet of harm on my troll before the end of lair. :getin:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I just looked at my morgue from my recent win and realized I ended up with +15 slaying :stare:

Also found this gem:

code:
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Received a gift from Zin
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You have a pair of small antennae on your head. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are mostly covered in iridescent scales (AC +6). [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are partially covered in iridescent scales (AC +4). [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are partially covered in large bone plates (AC +2, SH +2). [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You have an uncontrollable temper. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You often lose your temper in combat. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You tend to lose your temper in combat. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: Armour fits poorly on your strangely shaped body. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: Your body often deteriorates upon taking damage. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: Your body sometimes deteriorates upon taking damage. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are dopey. (Int -2) [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: Your flesh is heat resistant. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You sometimes yell uncontrollably at your foes. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You occasionally shout uncontrollably at your foes. [Zin's power]
 71862 | Crypt:3  | Lost mutation: You are weak. (Str -2) [Zin's power]
Don't ask me how I survived with berserkeritis 3 for 20k turns :shrug:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 13, 2016

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

LogicNinja posted:

Play like me and do this only don't really learn threat levels that well and keep getting in too deep and dying.

When I started out Crawl I enjoyed the game a lot but I also had an experienced player guide me through a lot of tricky situations and I looked at the wiki constantly for threats I didn't recognize. I would probably do the same now even though the game's more transparent with information.. probably because threat levels are still obtuse enough at times that you just need to try random things to see if it's going to work or not, and that can result in unnecessary deaths if it's risky enough.

This game is brutally difficult if you play completely blind, but it's gotten better over the years and I think the game still has great replayability even when you "spoil" yourself as much as possible.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

My problem is that I do know the threat levels for the most part, as in I know I would be better off just running from the ghost, it's text is red goddamit, but at the same time, I want to try and kill it and just one more shot should do it, but drat, I'm dead. It's more out of stupidity than not knowing better. Hopefully I'll just learn to curtail my over-optimism. I guess the key to survival is to be more on the pessimistic side.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Basically that's true, but I wouldn't necessarily call it pessimism. For me, it's more a routine that I go through that I know increases my chances to win. I find that starting a fight with the mindset that you're going to run away, even if it's a fighting retreat that lets you eventually win, helps a lot. So, for me, it's not so much that, "I'm going to lose this fight, so I'd better run" as much as "running is part of winning this fight", even if occasionally "winning" means going up the stairs and not fighting the thing at all. I have a decent win rate, though, and still take a scorched earth approach to the dungeon, even though that's really not the ideal policy.

Being conservative is a huge part of consistently winning, though. The ultimate point of gameplay is to minimize risks. Overly committing to that concept leads to not having much fun, so eat the purple if you want, but trying to avoid any situation where you leave things to being lucky is how you win.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

My problem is that I do know the threat levels for the most part, as in I know I would be better off just running from the ghost, it's text is red goddamit, but at the same time, I want to try and kill it and just one more shot should do it, but drat, I'm dead. It's more out of stupidity than not knowing better. Hopefully I'll just learn to curtail my over-optimism. I guess the key to survival is to be more on the pessimistic side.

The hardest thing to realize and learn is that the color system is just a rough guide based on your level compared to the monster's HD. This means that something that is actually super nasty can show up as white, and something that's a complete pushover for the type of character you are playing shows up as red. It's more important to look at what a monster can do, and how threatening that is to whatever character you are playing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The best thing I found to improving my win rate is to take a month long break every now and again (which I am currently doing as I play the poo poo out of Cataclysm). I am more willing to take the early/mid game more slowly if I haven't just splatted 50-100 idiotic deaths. Otherwise I just keep getting more and more impatient to getting to the 'good parts' (which is unfair cause it is all good [except for abyss]).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I found that the best way to improve my win rate was to care about my win rate, but then I discovered that the best way to have fun was to not.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I find the best way to improve my win rate is to not play demonspawn because every single drat one I start ends up with foul stench and I want some other drat mutations goddamnit! Suicide would improve my fun, but toughing it out might improve my win rate. What to do?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I find the best way to improve my win rate is to not play demonspawn because every single drat one I start ends up with foul stench and I want some other drat mutations goddamnit! Suicide would improve my fun, but toughing it out might improve my win rate. What to do?
DsCK for guaranteed fun of course!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Choose a background which encourages a playstyle that would clearly benefit from stench, and you will be pretty much guaranteed to not get stench.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Speaking as a dude who plays a lot of demonspawn: foul stench is actually really useful. There are a lot of really strong enemies that don't have rRot all the way through the normal game, and slowing/poisoning everything that hits you is super strong; it is less helpful in extended, though, where most things resist it.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Yeah, Ds is really up there among my favorite species and I know stench isn't bad at all, I'm mostly complaining for the sake of complaining. I do think it's pretty boring in comparison to the really crazy amazing tier 2s like nightwalker, magic shield or powered by death, though. My real issue is that when I start feeling a little bored with crawl I'm always tempted to start scum Ds for ridiculous mutation combos like magic shield and powered by death together on a blaster mage. Then I'd get augmentation as my tier 3, floor god would give me the robe of vines so I'd regenerate something like 10 MP per turn and everything would explode forever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just won a bizarro version of that where I had troll leather + Vehumet + fast mp regen + amulet of mp regen + linked health and mana, and it ruled, even with spirit tanking my mp sometimes (it probably saved my life as well so fair enough). Icy envelope was nice sometimes but basically ceased to exist in zigs, thanks to all the fire and hellfire flying around. Freezing cloud immunity goes great with Glaciate, however!

Demonspawn is kinda weird with how random and swingy the mutation power/usefulness is, but at least there don't seem to be any useless dud Ds mutations anymore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just won a bizarro version of that where I had troll leather + Vehumet + fast mp regen + amulet of mp regen + linked health and mana, and it ruled, even with spirit tanking my mp sometimes (it probably saved my life as well so fair enough). Icy envelope was nice sometimes but basically ceased to exist in zigs, thanks to all the fire and hellfire flying around. Freezing cloud immunity goes great with Glaciate, however!

Demonspawn is kinda weird with how random and swingy the mutation power/usefulness is, but at least there don't seem to be any useless dud Ds mutations anymore.

Yeah, there used to be some lovely ones, but regular mutations were better maybe back then with increased move speed and stuff, so you could mix and match a little.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

World Famous W posted:

The best thing I found to improving my win rate is to take a month long break every now and again (which I am currently doing as I play the poo poo out of Cataclysm). I am more willing to take the early/mid game more slowly if I haven't just splatted 50-100 idiotic deaths. Otherwise I just keep getting more and more impatient to getting to the 'good parts' (which is unfair cause it is all good [except for abyss]).

My problem is that I get fatigued and sloppy and often overconfident as I get deeper into the game, and when I die as a result, I get frustrated and don't want to go through it all again with the same build, try another, get a decent ways in, get more fatigued, and spiral from there.

So yeah, taking an occasional good long break is essential for me in this game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I often shotgun runs but I wouldn't recommend it. By the time I reach Zot I'm usually a little too ready to end it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
On my troll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXjhOLFdJas

e: +

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 13, 2016

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Welp.

quote:

+11 hand axe "Ryedghoa" (butt) {pain, *Contam rC+++ MP+9 Str+4}

Welp, it's not my like DECj wanted to unwield this ever anyway.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Xomscumming MuCK's continues!
code:
k - the +11 scimitar of Aqymuo Ewna (weapon)  {chaos, rF++ rC+}

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
So I'm looking to take that mummy I posted earlier into extended, what would be a good god to switch to?

I've tried corpse dropping and simulacrum, and it worked poorly against Asmodeus, and I don't see how it would work against Anteus. I don't see what else Kiku offers in extended to a mummy, especially since I've already don Tomb.

Current chardump here http://underhound.eu:81/crawl/morgue/ThermosAquaticus/ThermosAquaticus.txt

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The classic extended mummy god is Sif Muna for access to a stronger form of channelling with no downside (as a Mummy, you don't hunger!). You'd need to start training Invocations to make it worthwhile, however. Another option is Vehumet to enhance your spell blasting but your spell set isn't really geared towards that. Makhleb is always the boring choice for heals on kills and possible 1s help/harm, but again needs Invocations. And then there's Ashenzari to give you clarity and general skill enhancement; I don't see you switching out any of your equipment unless you find a decent randart set of boots and maybe the cloak you've got hanging around for rElec.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
If it sounds like your thing, Ashenzari item detection also has the added bonus of being the perfect scummy mummy addition for Abyss:1. I'm not sure how dangerous Abyss:1 would be with god wrath and no clarity though, but I imagine any god wrath triggering with confusion is Very Bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This was a really fun run.

Zot highlights:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
does the amulet of harm work with evocations or summons?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
It probably works for direct damage evo like rods but not stuff like box of beasts and casted summons. Just assuming because with summons it seems like a high potential for abuse.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BigFactory posted:

does the amulet of harm work with evocations or summons?

Yes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

As in summoned things will do 25% more to someone wearing it, and their summons will also do 25% more? Thats pretty wild.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

BigFactory posted:

As in summoned things will do 25% more to someone wearing it, and their summons will also do 25% more? Thats pretty wild.

It works with pretty much any source of damage. There are probably exceptions, but I'm not sure what they are.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
So how do you go about 15 runing with a felid? I've got this little guy at the end of depths, currently getting cblink up and running. Any advices?

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1312-gf98331d (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Unseen (Felid Enchanter)      Turns: 60680, Time: 05:34:13

Health: 116/116    AC:  5    Str:  6    XL:     23   Next: 71%
Magic:  51/51      EV: 44    Int: 25    God:    Makhleb [******]
Gold:   4589       SH:  0    Dex: 26    Spells: 13 memorised, 6 levels left
                                        Lives:  2   Deaths: 0

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis +      - Unarmed
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    (armour unavailable)
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield unavailable)
rPois  .          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    (cloak unavailable)
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    (gloves unavailable)
SustAt .          Harm     .    (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.      Clarity  +    U - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
Stlth  ++++++++++               B - +5 ring of evasion
                                y - ring "Bublugess" {rN+ MP+9 Dex+4 Stlth+}

@: studying Air Magic, repel missiles, quick, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, uncannily stealthy
A: no armour, no weapons or thrown items, claws 1, fangs 3, thin metallic scales
1, thin skeletal structure 1, see invisible, agile 1, berserk 1, carnivore 3,
clarity, speed 1, magic resistance 1, shaggy fur 3, slow metabolism 1, strong 1,
sharp paws
a: Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major Destruction, Greater
Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, gossamer
Full details here http://crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/ThermosAquaticus/ThermosAquaticus.txt

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThermosAquaticus posted:

So how do you go about 15 runing with a felid? I've got this little guy at the end of depths, currently getting cblink up and running. Any advices?

Go with statue form if you're doing melee, lich form if you're playing a caster. You pretty much need to use a transmutation spell since felids don't have any gear slots for resists beyond jewelry, and those two are the best for mitigating the torment damage of extended. I did a melee kitty in statue form and it actually worked pretty well once I got to extended, but that was back when they had jumping so I could fling myself at enemies like a boulder.

If you use lich form watch out for dispel undead though as it can destroy your tiny HP pool.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

PleasingFungus posted:

It works with pretty much any source of damage. There are probably exceptions, but I'm not sure what they are.

Qazlal's random clouds? Pain mirror? (I guess if that worked 'properly' it'd get boosted twice - once because you're taking more damage and thus reflecting more damage, and once if the reflection itself gets boosted). A monster that you put Inner Flame on but someone else blew up? ...A monster that you put Inner Flame on and blew up yourself?

I'd imagine it's only the really fringe cases that have even a chance of it not working.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
31 Floodkiller the Chopper (level 3, -3/30 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Warper on Feb 14, 2016.
             Slain by Jessica
             ... wielding a +10 club
              (5 damage)
             ... on level 2 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:01:49 (1184 turns).
Now, that's a death I've not seen in a long time...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Close to the +12 Club club.

learndb posted:

+12 club

redrum the Skirmisher (L3 DrCK), worshipper of Makhleb, slain by Ijyb (a +6,+12 club) on D:2 on 2010-08-19, with 120 points after 1033 turns and 0:04:06.
Jazzimus the Practitioner (L2 DrHe of Elyvilon), slain by Ijyb (a +2,+12 club) on D:2 on 2014-02-20 07:25:50, with 37 points after 1353 turns and 0:03:46.
stumpy the Spear-Bearer (L9 TeBe of Trog), mangled by Erolcha (a +5,+12 giant spiked club) on D:8 on 2014-03-24 20:24:10, with 3288 points after 8030 turns and 0:57:47.
tasonir the Cudgeler (L4 MuDK of Yredelemnul), slain by Ijyb (a +4,+12 club) on D:1 on 2014-06-13 23:55:01, with 72 points after 1775 turns and 0:03:24.
Chunsik the Skirmisher (L3 DsFi), slain by Ijyb (a +12 club) on D:2 on 2015-01-11 04:10:12, with 35 points after 790 turns and 0:01:41.
ew the Chopper (L3 HOWr), slain by Jessica (a +12 club) on D:2 on 2015-03-18 10:03:44, with 32 points after 1270 turns and 0:00:12.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Wow, that last one cleared D1 and got XL3 in 12 seconds. I'm impressed.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Unimpressed posted:

It's a bot

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Unimpressed posted:

ew (and qw, gw, and a few others) are bots. They all play under *w names as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Huh, really? Why would you bot crawl? To get through the early game?
I've only ever heard of bots in multiplayer games...

• Locked thread