Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CeallaSo posted:

FFTA is only based on Ivalice; it's a false world created by the Gran Grimoire that mashes up elements from Mewt's present with the ancient past of the real Ivalice. In FFTA2, which takes place long enough after TA that Mewt is a teacher at the protagonist's school, Luso is actually transported back in time by the grimoire, and his adventure takes place on an island nation not too far across the sea from the continent Ivalice.

I don't have a link to a source on that, but it's apparent from information provided in the games themselves. XII and TA2 are clearly set in the same world as FFT pre-Cataclysm, and someone (I think it might be Mewt himself, but I could be wrong) mentions specifically that Ivalice is their world's ancient past. TA is definitely some kind of magical fantasy world, though. Apparently one based on a game that is based on their world's actual history? What a convoluted mess.

It's probably because Vagrant Story and Tactics Advance were never supposed to be part of the same world of Ivalice as Tactics, but then XII came along and Square-Enix decided to tie all the games together which TA2 followed up on. So some things are bound to not quite make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's been a while. How exactly did Vayne Solidor and Venat wrestle control of humanity's fate away from the Occuria in the first place?

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Level Slide posted:

It's been a while. How exactly did Vayne Solidor and Venat wrestle control of humanity's fate away from the Occuria in the first place?

By manipulating humans into destroying the Sun Cryst, which was how the Occuria kept humans in line. Lacking the power to give a single chosen human the power to conquer the entire continent, the Occuria could do nothing but sit in their tower and watch the world move on without them.

EDIT: Or, but wait, Vayne didn't have anything to do with that, did he? Unless Reddas was secretly still working for him? It seemed like something that happened because Ashe decided it should, rather than through the machinations of Vayne. Unless Vayne's plan was to push her so far by conquering her country that she'd be forced to turn to the Occuria for help, and then he'd just hope she made the right choice.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ashley riot was a cool dude

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want his assless shorts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

assless riot

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

CeallaSo posted:

By manipulating humans into destroying the Sun Cryst, which was how the Occuria kept humans in line. Lacking the power to give a single chosen human the power to conquer the entire continent, the Occuria could do nothing but sit in their tower and watch the world move on without them.

EDIT: Or, but wait, Vayne didn't have anything to do with that, did he? Unless Reddas was secretly still working for him? It seemed like something that happened because Ashe decided it should, rather than through the machinations of Vayne. Unless Vayne's plan was to push her so far by conquering her country that she'd be forced to turn to the Occuria for help, and then he'd just hope she made the right choice.

I only knew Vayne and Venat worked together, but that's about it. And now I kind of remember it being Ashe's idea to climb the giant tower and destroy the crystal at the top.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I actually liked the law system in Tactics Advance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CeallaSo posted:

I thought it just coincidentally ended up working out for Vayne. He and Cid's plan was to use manufacted nethicite, a human creation, to nullify the powers of Dynast King and the Occuria but Ashe also just decided on her own that she wouldn't help them so by the end game both sides are just trying to win this war and the Occuria no longer matter. Could definitely be wrong though.

FFTA2>FFTA>>>>>>>FFT

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Txn posted:

I actually liked the law system in Tactics Advance.

In defense of the indefensible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Level Slide posted:

I only knew Vayne and Venat worked together, but that's about it. And now I kind of remember it being Ashe's idea to climb the giant tower and destroy the crystal at the top.

Ashe originally meant to harness the crystal, but had a change of heart at the last moment and shattered it instead. I think Cid and Venat were gambling on that outcome, so they arranged for her to meet the Occuria in the first place and gain the means to reach the crystal.

Basically everything that happened in FFXII was all according to the villains' plans. It only went topsy-turvy in the very last second when Vayne's subordinates turned on him, leaving him to go out in a blaze of glory instead of usurping Ashe and ruling the new age himself.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

Ashe originally meant to harness the crystal, but had a change of heart at the last moment and shattered it instead. I think Cid and Venat were gambling on that outcome, so they arranged for her to meet the Occuria in the first place and gain the means to reach the crystal.

Basically everything that happened in FFXII was all according to the villains' plans. It only went topsy-turvy in the very last second when Vayne's subordinates turned on him, leaving him to go out in a blaze of glory instead of usurping Ashe and ruling the new age himself.

It's basically a best possible outcome. The villains who did all the unspeakable crimes trying to set things up got nailed and the wise princess who ultimately did right by the people took over.

And then eventually everything got destroyed by demon Jesus.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is Mega64's avatar literally just David Bowie.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Is Mega64's avatar literally just David Bowie.

David Bowie by way of Amano. The original was posted in this thread the day he died and I snagged it.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

bloodychill posted:

In defense of the indefensible.
I liked it because those restrictions also applied to the enemy and generally they weren't that bullshit, the "No Healing" law being an exception.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
For the longest time I thought it was Bartz.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Onmi posted:

Eventually (according to the Ultimania) concluding with the modern world, and Ivalice being reduced to the town of St. Ivalice.

That doesn't make any sense, for at least the reason that Ivalice was the name of the world, the whole setting, or at least a very large chunk of it, and it became... a town? That's like saying the town of St. Earth is what the planet Earth became. It's dumb.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Undeniably great. If Dissidia is missing that outfit, I expect a global boycott.

Matsuno should come back for one last FFT game bridging XII and Tactics with playable Viera and Bangaa. It'd only be right.

Nah man, what we need are playable viangaa.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Well, the town is named after a saint and I don't think they talk about what the name of the country or land St. Ivalice is in. Maybe it's St. Ivalice, Ivalce State, Ivalice.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've been playing the FF9 port on m iPad and if anything, its even better than how I remembered it when I played it 15 years ago, and the port is just so loving good, but I'm curious about the quality of the other IOS ports. Are any of them worth picking up? Or are most of them (as I suspect) every bit as low quality and frustrating as some people have said?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The only ports that are bad IIRC are the GBA/SNES games. I've heard good things about the FFT, World Ends, and Dragon Quest ports.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they should have named the town St Agora

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Since it was all just a fantasy in the mind of an autistic boy, clearly they should've named it St. Elsewhere.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I've been playing the FF9 port on m iPad and if anything, its even better than how I remembered it when I played it 15 years ago, and the port is just so loving good, but I'm curious about the quality of the other IOS ports. Are any of them worth picking up? Or are most of them (as I suspect) every bit as low quality and frustrating as some people have said?

FFV and VI have garbage updated sprites based on FF:Dimensions (a fun, albeit not great game), FFIV has the updated 3d graphics that FF3 got. FF1 and 2 are the PSP (?) Sprites, and are fine. The playstation ones have improved graphics.

FF1,2, 4, 5, 6, 7, Dimensions, Tactics, and Triple Triad are all worth your time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Feels like we should only be allowed to talk about Vincent today

someday i too will put my self-insert character into a game and make him the most useless party member

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

someday i too will put my self-insert character into a game and make him the most useless party member

didn't you already do that :smug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who is Vincent a self-insert of because I don't think anyone at square is a vampire man with a gun who turns into the devil unless this is all some elaborate joke on Kitase

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baal posted:

Who is Vincent a self-insert of because I don't think anyone at square is a vampire man with a gun who turns into the devil unless this is all some elaborate joke on Kitase

Every Final Fantasy character is Tetsuya Nomura at different stages of sobriety.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's stupid

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baal posted:

That's stupid

Personally I liked Testuya Nomura best as Captain Bash fon Rotsenburg of Dalmasca

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Another question about FFX-2.

If I want to fight the Experiment at 5/5/5 and Angra Mainyu, how hosed I am? YRP levels are at 40~42, and I'm only missing one dressphere.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Baal posted:

That's stupid

Yeah, we already know that Nomura is Xehanort.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It's nice to hear FF9 iOS is good. Here's hoping the PC port (and maybe PS4 port?) are good too.

And I'm pretty sure Nomura is Mickey in the gimp suit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Txn posted:

Another question about FFX-2.

If I want to fight the Experiment at 5/5/5 and Angra Mainyu, how hosed I am? YRP levels are at 40~42, and I'm only missing one dressphere.

I don't remember 5/5/5 being that tough, just watch out for life slicer since that will always kill someone, also Annihilator is a learnable move if you're collecting those. I can't help with Angra Mainyu since I could never do that battle without 2 dark knights using darkness and a dedicated healer. (I wouldn't recommend doing this, it's super boring.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

For the longest time I thought it was Bartz.

When I did my FF5 LP I tried doing Amano drawings for the dialogue portraits like I did with my 4/6/9 LP's, but I had to change them to sprites because nobody could tell the difference between Bartz and Lenna.

Baal posted:

Considering he could never seal the deal with Lucrecia in FF7/DoC he's probably a lot more relatable to the developers than you'd think.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That whole business with Vincent and Lucretia in DoC was pretty groady - Lucretia becoming a digital ghost and her memories influencing the 19 year old, with the body of a 9 year old, whom Vincent, a 60 year old man, sees as a romantic replacement. :barf:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
why does nobody ever accuse Amano of sameface

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Pesky Splinter posted:

That whole business with Vincent and Lucretia in DoC was pretty groady - Lucretia becoming a digital ghost and her memories influencing the 19 year old, with the body of a 9 year old, whom Vincent, a 60 year old man, sees as a romantic replacement. :barf:

Wait he does? Like, Dirge of Cerberus is a straight up Bad Game, but I never thought Vincent wanted to play Barry White music with Shelkie or whatever the gently caress her name was. I got the impression that he instinctively thought of her as "someone I definitely must protect" as a sort of instinct about her having Lucrecia's whatever. IIRC in the end he just sulks in the cave forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah it seemed more like he thought shelke was like, a daughter of lucretia than 'oh it's lucretia again, i can marry her this time'

but i only played that game once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i can't believe this, but i agree with gologle