Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

Your mazda isn't a VW. It's more of an implementation thing than a fundamentally terrible thing.

I have never seen one with any kind of indication that you're supposed to push down, usually you just get R surrounded by a circle or some other cryptic bullshit. Not that it really matters, you only need to learn once.

Not quite so good when its a fleet vehicle with potentially up to 50 different drivers.

After someone crunched the nose into the end of the shed it got a "Push gearstick down for reverse" dymo labeled onto the dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Sagebrush posted:

Here's my horrible almost mechanical failure from working on the bike today:

The tl;dr is in the motorcycle forum, but basically that's the nut that holds together a stack of feeler gauges, and it fell off while I was doing the valves and landed balanced on the edge of the cam sprocket retaining bolt as drawn. If it moves at all, it falls down along the timing chain passage into the bottom end. I ended up getting it out with some extraordinarily delicate work with a long thin allen wrench magnetized by a stack of rare-earth magnets.

Pulling that out felt like the Hurt Locker or some poo poo.

Oh I thought it was gonna be the cable that's almost chafed through...

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Das Volk posted:

So I got something in the mail from Chrysler today!

ummm... at least they found the problem...? :suicide:

Helped a buddy do an oil change on his srt8 jeep. Was surprised when only 4 of the 7 quarts came out. No oil light either.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Let us never forget the first generation Saturn and it's healthy appetite for oil. I had a 1991 SL-2. I would merely add a quart every 2 weeks. When I finally got around to changing the oil and filter after driving 20,000 miles, what came out still looked like fresh oil.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Total-loss lubrication systems are under-appreciated these days.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

I'd only scrolled down enough to see the first image, so I thought you were talking about that worn cable.

Edit: Me and chrisgt I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Not quite so good when its a fleet vehicle with potentially up to 50 different drivers.

After someone crunched the nose into the end of the shed it got a "Push gearstick down for reverse" dymo labeled onto the dashboard.

Manual fleet vehicle :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Working weatherization for the state of Idaho, all of our pickup trucks were manual.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Preoptopus posted:

Helped a buddy do an oil change on his srt8 jeep. Was surprised when only 4 of the 7 quarts came out. No oil light either.

Low-oil-level lights generally indicate that the oil level is about to uncover the pickup, not that it has a low-but-serviceable oil level. A low oil light is a pull-over and shut the engine off this instant kind of thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

This is what you have one of those telescopic magnets for. Mine has saved me from a whole lot of unplanned disassemblies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

I'd only scrolled down enough to see the first image, so I thought you were talking about that worn cable.

Edit: Me and chrisgt I guess.

Yeah, I saw that when I was working on the engine. It's just the choke cable for the rear carburetor, and only the rubber coating is worn away -- the silver part you're seeing is the steel jacket, which is intact. I'll replace it eventually.

Now, if that were the clutch or throttle cable...

Collateral Damage posted:

This is what you have one of those telescopic magnets for. Mine has saved me from a whole lot of unplanned disassemblies.

I have one of those telescopic magnets. Two issues with using it: first, it wouldn't actually fit into the gap where the nut was sitting (it's like a #6 or something). Second, the nut was balanced so delicately that any vibration would make it fall off, and I doubted my ability to thread the needle and get a magnet in there without having it stick to the cam chain or sprocket, which would probably be enough of a tap to loosen it up.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 14, 2016

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MrYenko posted:

Low-oil-level lights generally indicate that the oil level is about to uncover the pickup, not that it has a low-but-serviceable oil level. A low oil light is a pull-over and shut the engine off this instant kind of thing.

i get that but running a 6.4 liter hemi on 4 quarts cant be good for it either is what i was saying. And my buddy drives like he stole it.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
The front brakes are making noise:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

0toShifty posted:

You'd REALLY hate driving my Scirocco then. Not only is reverse far away from where you expect - you have to push the entire shifter down to get past the lockout for it. It is even more tricky on a 30+ year old worn out linkage.

People who tried borrowing mine always ended up asking me how the gently caress I parallel parked without screaming obscenities toward Germany.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love states that have no annual inspection while in NYS lots of shops use "failed" brakes as atms that print $300. I've had a set of new brakes and rotors (well 6 months) fail and thre tech could give me no reason, I've also had "excessive rounding" or some poo poo fail again tech had no real answer when I confronted..

The. You get folks driving on cooling fins in other states.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

FEED ME OIL RAAAGGGHHH

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slavvy posted:

A condition of employment in our part of the department is "Must be able to proficiently drive a manual vehicle" and its part of your interview process, because half our fleet of fire vehicles are manuals.

Doesnt mean we dont get the occasional nupty who fries a clutch after bullshitting their way through- Tho noone has an issue with the toyota 5 speeds in the landcruisers or hilux's or the 6 speeds in the prado, or even the 6 speed in the ford ranger with the detent collar (which starts to rattle before 10K kms, built ford tough!)

its just the stupid loving navara that catches everyone out.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

meatpotato posted:

Total-loss lubrication systems are under-appreciated unintentional these days.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

meatpotato posted:

Total-loss lubrication systems are under-appreciated these days.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Is it maybe a case where they did their own for awhile, like if I'm due in winter it goes to quicklube if its summer, spring, fall I do on my own.. I may get many changes in before one lands in the 3 month window of frozen hell, and still keep my sticker becsue im too lazy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just a little bit over the 50,000 mile interval.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
More importantly look at the loving size of that coolant gauge

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

tater_salad posted:

I love states that have no annual inspection while in NYS lots of shops use "failed" brakes as atms that print $300. I've had a set of new brakes and rotors (well 6 months) fail and thre tech could give me no reason, I've also had "excessive rounding" or some poo poo fail again tech had no real answer when I confronted..

In the UK, that's the kind of thing where reporting it can get the shop into a lot of trouble. Anything from the person doing the MOT inspection being prohibited from doing the inspections, to the whole shop being banned from MOT tests, plus fines and such. Does New York have an equivalent of the DVSA that looks after inspections?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

Is it maybe a case where they did their own for awhile, like if I'm due in winter it goes to quicklube if its summer, spring, fall I do on my own.. I may get many changes in before one lands in the 3 month window of frozen hell, and still keep my sticker becsue im too lazy.

The noises it made made me slightly skeptical over their claims that the oil change was just done and that the shop must have just kept forgetting to change the sticker over and over

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Much as I hate MOT - test time each year, I am bloody glad it exists and that the testers are generally honest.

Sitting in that room, waiting, makes me feel like I am at a hospital and waiting for the Dr to come out of the theatre and give me the results for a loved one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

8ender posted:

More importantly look at the loving size of that coolant gauge

Its like every GM minivan. Coolant temp, speed and fuel is all ya need boy i tell ya what.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

6 speeds in the prado

:psyboom: what series is this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nene posted:

In the UK, that's the kind of thing where reporting it can get the shop into a lot of trouble. Anything from the person doing the MOT inspection being prohibited from doing the inspections, to the whole shop being banned from MOT tests, plus fines and such. Does New York have an equivalent of the DVSA that looks after inspections?

The general rule about this sort of thing in the USA is "yes, that is theoretically illegal, but nobody funds the department that's involved so there's zero enforcement."

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Slavvy posted:

We get better Toyotas than you.

http://www3.toyota.com.au/prado/range

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Slavvy posted:

120 and 150 series both got 6 speed boxes- I think they're actually Getrags rather than Aisins too..

On topic (holy poo poo!)

Alternator in the landcruiser started to play up, wasnt charging, then it was, then it stopped again, started and then this morning on the way to the wreckers to get a new one, totally stopped. Thank god ive got an optima yellowtop in the thing, i'd have murdered a normal battery going down there and back.

Cracked it open. That could be the problem!

And the diode packs dont look so flash either...

This is a bit of a frankenator- its died before when the diode pack shat the bed, so I ganked a diode pack out of a 90A prado alternator and jammed it into it. 120A landcruiser alternator, 90A diode pack, what could possibly go wrong?

Well it worked for nearly 2 years!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nene posted:

I called both shops in to the NYS Department of Motor Vehicles.
The issue with the NYS is that they leave a lot open "to the mechanics discression"
the one shop cited a retaining clip that they knocked loose as "metal on metal" contact.. I think they were grasping at straws to get brake job
the other shop also got called in, they only said "Excessive rounding" to which I took to a different shop the next day and passed.

Both times I had 1 Licence plate light out in the vehicle and It was a fail anyways (I always check brake/head/turn lights but always forget the LP bulbs) so The DMV kind of said.. we'll look into it but you still failed due to your LP bulbs.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
I got a twofer this weekend. My buddy dropped his phone in a snowbank while plowing two months ago and found it today:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

LeMons SBF in a 944 had a bad day

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 15, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Did the engine have to watch from the bleachers to learn what it was meant to do?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

People who tried borrowing mine always ended up asking me how the gently caress I parallel parked without screaming obscenities toward Germany.

Look at this guy complaining about first and reverse having adjacent gates. The four speed in the Opel GT has first and reverse in the exact same loving gate with the little shift collar.

It was seriously a coin toss as to if you ever actually got it in reverse.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's terrifying.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sudo Echo posted:

hahaha, holy loving poo poo.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Jeeeesus.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sudo Echo posted:

Looks like someone tried to get more than 250HP out of a Windsor :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Usually when someone says they blowed their engine up, I expect to see a small hole in the block or pan from rapid unintended disassembly.

This is beyond RUD. How the gently caress did they DO that, and what did they win for killing an engine that bad?!