Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Disable mod, verify files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lima posted:

This is the mimic beacon basically -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSqNHp4zfw

Yeah, ahahaha. Pretty much. Complete with how much of an amazing force multiplier it is.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lima posted:

This is the mimic beacon basically -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKSqNHp4zfw

hahaha, that's perfect

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

A nice moment: a solider had an Andromedon lumbering toward her at full speed, vaulting itself over a vehicle. Her overwatch triggers, but she missed.

The missed shot instead hit the vehicle, triggering an explosion, which in turn sent the Andromedon flying back (with some seriously glitchy animation) and canceling out the rest of its turn. Booyah.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm positive burning some enemies also confuses them because I swear they tend to scatter instead of attacking when I blast them with an incendiary bomb.

Context? Well, I needed to protect a data relay... all three bad guys were surrounding it... and I said, "gently caress it" and chucked the incendiary grenade. Two mutons and a Stun Lancer did the fire dance, all very confused.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Soldiers will comment if you put them in front of wanted posters of themselves. :v:

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Speedball posted:

I'm positive burning some enemies also confuses them because I swear they tend to scatter instead of attacking when I blast them with an incendiary bomb.

Context? Well, I needed to protect a data relay... all three bad guys were surrounding it... and I said, "gently caress it" and chucked the incendiary grenade. Two mutons and a Stun Lancer did the fire dance, all very confused.

When my soldiers burn they can't do anything but move and hunker down, I was never sure if this was actually the same on enemies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"If you take off now, you'll be leaving some of our troops behind!"

Bradford, the only units we have outside of the Avenger ramp are turrets. Those are turrets, Bradford.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Someone mentioned that you can take pips off the doom counter by skulljacking a codex. Is that an objective later or should I just do it whenever? Still building the Shadow Chamber.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

RBA Starblade posted:

Someone mentioned that you can take pips off the doom counter by skulljacking a codex. Is that an objective later or should I just do it whenever? Still building the Shadow Chamber.

That's an objective later.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's an objective later. You'll know when the game asks you to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think it might only count once you've built the Shadow Chamber and get the story objective to skulljack a Codex. But I don't know, it might work anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alright, thanks guys. About to do a mission for 100 intel so I can knock out three facilities (1 for 2 pips, 2 for 1 pip) for four pips whenever I want, I was just curious. I'll probably do the 2-pip mission at the 20 day countdown since why not; at 10 pips right now I think.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any way to punt Avatar points off the giant fucker in the ocean? Facilities I can blow up, but I imagine that thing's the end game

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Interesting black site raid.

My squad deployed literally within sight of a sectopod, which aggroed. I hadn't even had a chance to move yet, this is how the mission started, but the sectopod drew overwatch fire from the entire squad (despite my not even having had a chance to put them into overwatch), and this didn't blow concealment because, since my turn hadn't started, the game hadn't put my squad into concealment yet. It also didn't kill the sectopod. My turn starts, whole squad now goes concealed, with a half-dead sectopod right next to them. Weird.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Seiren posted:

Heads-up for those of you using the Experimental Item Unlock mod to enable Proving Grounds projects in Engineering after the initial construction. Not only will the mod cause you to instantly fail the opening mission, but disabling the mod on the launcher splash screen seems to cause a crash when starting a new campaign. You can sidestep the instant-failure by turning on the tutorial, but I haven't quite figured out how to disable it without bricking the game. :shobon:

Which is a shame, because what this mod does is a good idea that should've been in the base game.

I guess the solution is the de-subscribe from it before starting a new campaign, doing the first mission, then re-subscribe.

In other news, I'm playing with the goon character pool and it's pretty funny. Sykic can't go on a mission without being gravely wounded (and rolled Ranger of all things) and Coolguye is currently my highest-ranking Grenadier and going full BURN THE AYY! with a loadout of three incendiary grenades and an EXO flamethrower. Might change that up once plasma nades finish, but right now it's hilarious. :allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Favourite moment: Sectopod charging up massive explosive attack, enemy reinforcements land in the middle of its AOE and get wiped out before the pod can even activate.

Also how many loving actions do Sectopods get?!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
e: ^^^ 3, I believe. At least, that's how many actions I got when I hacked one. :v:

Danaru posted:

Is there any way to punt Avatar points off the giant fucker in the ocean? Facilities I can blow up, but I imagine that thing's the end game

Certain objectives take pips of the doom clock. There aren't enough of such objectives to keep the doom clock down forever though.

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Berious posted:

Yeah it took me ages to realize scope bonuses were additive. So a 50% shot with a 15% scope will be 75% not 57.5%

You fixed your math later but it might be worth pointing out that chance to hit is simply your_aim + your_bonuses - their_defense - their_bonuses out of 100. You can see the breakdown by clicking on the little left arrow on the left edge of the action bar panel when targeting. It's not very detailed (i.e. scope gets rolled into your aim number) but still useful to see how things like elevation/proximity bonuses work.

Does anyone know if the gunslinger's pistol benefits from rifle attachments such as scope, hair trigger, stock, etc? I know it sounds silly but in the first game bonuses conferred by the main weapon definitely applied to the secondary.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

uggh im in a multiplayer match and the end turn button seems to be broken

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I think my other favorite bug in this game is mind-controlled unit deaths counting as soldier deaths.

"WE LOST ONE"

Yes, yes we did. That brave psi zombie... he was too pure for this world.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

e: ^^^ 3, I believe. At least, that's how many actions I got when I hacked one. :v:

Their stance change doesn't take an action, which provides endless not really amusement as the animation is very silly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hi Jinx posted:

Does anyone know if the gunslinger's pistol benefits from rifle attachments such as scope, hair trigger, stock, etc? I know it sounds silly but in the first game bonuses conferred by the main weapon definitely applied to the secondary.

Fairly sure they don't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

poptart_fairy posted:

Their stance change doesn't take an action, which provides endless not really amusement as the animation is very silly.

I know, but I specifically remember being able to fire three times in one turn.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pakled posted:

I know, but I specifically remember being able to fire three times in one turn.

Oh sure sure. :)

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that charging their cannon doesn't end the Sectopod's turn. When that beam cannon goes off it completely fucks the scenery even if it doesn't hit, and causes the enemy to fidget and try to get away which potentially knocks them out of cover.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fangz posted:

Do aliens still go for the mimic beacon if it's out of their range? If not maybe the 1 hp/99 turn mimic beacon is balanced.

If they don't have LOS to a mimic beacon, they aren't affected by it at all.

Though I believe that will be checked for each action. So if a unit decides to move with their first action and sees a mimic, they are instantly caught in its spell and will use a standard attack (if available) on it with their second action.

ProZocK posted:

I like the meme beacon the way it is, sometimes even the best of us gently caress up and pull way too many pods at once so having a "be safe for one turn" button seems ok to me. Bringing more then one per mission is just overkill though.

Yeah it's definitely a mod for people who want maximum difficulty.

I like the part where you have a get out of jail card, but don't like part where you can turn around and drop a nuke on the jail after you're out. Because it's not just about being safe for one turn. It wastes an alien turn and then sets up your turn to be a complete massacre. It turns the tide a little too much because aliens do stupid things under the influence of dank memes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I limited myself to one mimic beacon per mission, but it does become less effective later in the game when enemies can OHKO it. Still, I imagine a good way to balance it is to let enemies take shots against it even while it's "flanking" them, so they won't expose their flanks to your dudes while taking cover against the mimic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Commander, outside of the initial couple missions where grenades can't instant kill grunt Advent, is about the same as Veteran honestly. Well except that you only have 12 days now instead of 20 when the project gets active, but meh.

Currently "speeding" to get a psi soldier. Going to get my first just after getting 6 squad. No mimic beacon despite two retaliation missions, which is unfortunate.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there any way to tell who has what ammo equipped? Need to know who has bluescreen rounds.

drat the lack of an F1 menu :mad:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

Any main story objective that removes Avatar points removes them from that central one in the ocean. Eventually you'll run out of those, though.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
:siren: Update: The guy seems to have "fixed" the Experimental Item Unlock mod :siren:

He also claims to have no idea how it broke or how he fixed it! :v:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I might try out more multiplayer if and when it starts actually working.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

i dont even

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

victrix posted:

Is there any way to tell who has what ammo equipped? Need to know who has bluescreen rounds.

drat the lack of an F1 menu :mad:

Hovering over the soldier's gun icon in the bottom right corner while they are activated shows a tooltip that displays ammo/weapon mods that are equipped.

edit:

Moogle posted:

Looks like that Van Door isn't going down without a fight :smuggo:

:golfclap:

staplegun fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 14, 2016

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Looks like that Van Door isn't going down without a fight :smuggo:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hi Jinx posted:

It does not. It does benefit from special ammo in an equipment slot, though. Just had a hilarious situation in an ADVENT Retaliation mission. Pulled three pods close to each other, nuked their cover with a grenade. Then my gunslinger major goes Lightning Hands, regular shot, and Faceoff against 7 visible enemies. So nine shots fired in one round. With poison rounds. Two Mutons killed outright, a Shieldbearer, heavy Lancer and Viper poisoned and a bit of scratch damage on a MEC. :stare:

Also, first Berserker, first Berserker kill with Ranger melee. :smug:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Can we all take a moment to appreciate that grenading everything now has zero downsides? It's my favorite change, really, not having to worry about weapon fragments.

E: greading is not a word and I should not post before I've woken up

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 14, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Zomborgon posted:

Can we all take a moment to appreciate that greading everrything now has zero downsides? It's my favorite change, really, not having to worry about weapon fragments.

I actually didn't realize this for the first couple days, so I used grenades sparingly :cripes: Nowadays I just let loose like I'm shelling the place

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016

Zomborgon posted:

Can we all take a moment to appreciate that greading everrything now has zero downsides? It's my favorite change, really, not having to worry about weapon fragments.

That was such a stupid mechanic. And Long War took it to extremes.

Evacuation does have a worse downside though, and it's like half the missions. It's my new favorite thing to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Danaru posted:

I actually didn't realize this for the first couple days, so I used grenades sparingly :cripes: Nowadays I just let loose like I'm shelling the place

Look at this nerd that actually listened to Vahlen's whining. :v: