Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boosted_C5 posted:

Obama can EASILY get the GOP congress to confirm a SCOTUS nominee. All he has to do is nominate a liberal who ISN'T an extremist and has been on record as being AGAINST the minority decisions in Heller and McDonald.

All 4 current Democratic nominees voted in a partisan lock-step manner against the 2A and tried to rewrite it from the bench to go 180 degrees against the entire meaning and purpose of the Bill of Rights.

If Democrats had bothered to appoint at least A SINGLE non-extreme justice to the current court, and those decisions were AT LEAST 6-3, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now either.

Also, friendly reminder, had Democrats not opposed and ultimately ended Reagan's attempt to place Bork on SCOTUS, we would already have a 5-4 liberal court because Bork instead of Kennedy = Obama both wins reelection in 2012 AND gets to replace a conservative on the court when Bork dies in 2012.

Actions have consequences.

the democrats are going to fill scalia's seat and heller is going to be overturned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Peachstapler posted:

Trump would have to begin pursuing third party ballot access immediately or risk not being included. He can't really decide to do that this summer, for example, because he'd be limited to becoming a write-in candidate.

He's already screwed thanks to sore loser laws. His two options would be to embrace the write in option, or take over the libertarian party nomination.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

a cop posted:

Were the robocalls that Trump referenced during the debate, the ones that said "Trump is dropping out, vote for Cruz!", actually a thing?

yeah they were

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Obama can EASILY get the GOP congress to confirm a SCOTUS nominee. All he has to do is nominate a liberal who ISN'T an extremist and has been on record as being AGAINST the minority decisions in Heller and McDonald.

All 4 current Democratic nominees voted in a partisan lock-step manner against the 2A and tried to rewrite it from the bench to go 180 degrees against the entire meaning and purpose of the Bill of Rights.

If Democrats had bothered to appoint at least A SINGLE non-extreme justice to the current court, and those decisions were AT LEAST 6-3, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now either.

Also, friendly reminder, had Democrats not opposed and ultimately ended Reagan's attempt to place Bork on SCOTUS, we would already have a 5-4 liberal court because Bork instead of Kennedy = Obama both wins reelection in 2012 AND gets to replace a conservative on the court when Bork dies in 2012.

Actions have consequences.

I've read your posts from last night, but I'm curious. Taking away the idea that you think that Trump was positioning for a general, do you think last night hurts him or helps him in the the republican primary?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

I've read your posts from last night, but I'm curious. Taking away the idea that you think that Trump was positioning for a general, do you think last night hurts him or helps him in the the republican primary?

I think what he (or some other Trump supporter) said was that it was going to hurt him but he had more than enough of a lead to afford it.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Schnorkles posted:

Helps IMMENSELY in the general, hurts in the primary. But not enough to cost him the primary IMO. He leads by 18 points in South Carolina. If his performance last night shaves a whopping 17 points of his margin of victory here, it was still a winning move.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Donald Trump doesn't know what he's doing. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing.

He is positioning both himself AND Hillary Clinton exactly where he needs to be able to absolutely bury her on foreign policy. He will be completely inoculated from attacks from Hillary's perceived position of strength - foreign policy experience. He will successfully position Clinton right next to Bush, and himself a million miles away from the tow of them.

Also he's starting to set up his defense against what killed Romney - women's health. The planned parenthood argument was THE most important moment of the debate for Trump.

Boosted_C5 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 14, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Patter Song posted:

Kasich right now has the semi-hypothetically possible hope that, because A. he's popular in Ohio and B. Ohio is winner-take-all, he could take his home state on March 15th even if he hasn't won a contest up to that point and make himself a serious player in a hypothetical down-to-the-wire delegate contest with Ohio's 66 delegates plus whatever few he scrounges up through proportionality. I think Kasich's dream scenario at this point would be to enter a contested convention with ~100-120 delegates (66 from Ohio plus proportional delegates from elsewhere) and playing kingmaker in a convention in Cleveland in his state. He'd be both host of the convention and have the balance of power.

What's Kasich's endgame in a scenario like this? Of course, being a Kingmaker gives him a lot of power during the convention, but what is he seeking to gain from a brokered convention? Power within the party? Inclusion as a high-ranking Cabinet official? The nomination of an outside party? The destruction of the Tea Party?

How well can Kasich corral his delegates compared to any other candidate? Does the "home turf advantage" give him a major leg-up in the event of a contested convention?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

the democrats are going to fill scalia's seat and heller is going to be overturned

I find your honesty re: using partisanship on SCOTUS to assault the Bill of Rights refreshing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think a lot of it is about controlling the news cycle. Trump knows that his comments on Dubya and Planned Parenthood were inflammatory. That’s the point.

Trump thinks he can defend himself on those subjects decently enough. Even if his support slips a little, that’s still preferable to facing an uncontrolled news cycle.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

He's already screwed thanks to sore loser laws. His two options would be to embrace the write in option, or take over the libertarian party nomination.
Pattersong knows the stats on this I think, we talked about this a couple months ago, but the sore loser laws only apply to a handful of states. But that's all you'd need is to exclude a place like Ohio and then that's all she wrote.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Platystemon posted:

I think a lot of it is about controlling the news cycle. Trump knows that his comments on Dubya and Planned Parenthood were inflammatory. That’s the point.

Trump thinks he can defend himself on those subjects decently enough. Even if his support slips a little, that’s still preferable to facing an uncontrolled news cycle.

He has done a masterful job of keeping the media mostly on the topics he wants to talk about.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
As a reminder, Trump only needs to get on the ballot in a couple states to wreck things for the Republicans. He doesn't even need to run in states adding up to 270+ electoral votes to gently caress with them, he only needs that if he cares about winning more than just spite/

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Regardless of Trump wins, I hope the Bush family name is scarred forever

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

People keep saying he spoke lovely Spanish, but others have said that it was a Cuban accent. Which is which?

its hard to tell because of rubio interrupting him and the jeering crowd but it sounded kinda lovely and incoherent to me

like he seems to be saying "tell it to him in spanish if you want" while i believe he wanted to say "tell it to me in spanish if you want"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

its hard to tell because of rubio interrupting him and the jeering crowd but it sounded kinda lovely and incoherent to me

like he seems to be saying "tell it to him in spanish if you want" while i believe he wanted to say "tell it to me in spanish if you want"

Best part of that moment was Trump had a huge cheshire cat grin when they started yelling out at each other.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Rocks posted:

Regardless of Trump wins, I hope the Bush family name is scarred forever

That seems to be Trump's mission and he's throwing everything into it. I don't see the Bush dynasty ever restoring its prominence in our political and economic system. Deservingly so for a garbage family of would be Kennedys.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

etalian posted:

Best part of that moment was Trump had a huge cheshire cat grin when they started yelling out at each other.

is he the one that just lols when rubio called cruz out? it sounded like his laugh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

babypolis posted:

is he the one that just lols when rubio called cruz out? it sounded like his laugh

I think it was Dr Benzo who broke out laughing when Cruz got schooled on the SC justice question.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If the GOP screws Trump out of the nomination if he wins a majority, or even a plurality:

I signed a pledge saying I would support the republican nominee, and I do. But if I wasn't so nice I would tell my supporters, who are very angry, to write my name in on the ballot on Nov 8th...but I'm not gonna do that.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

a cop posted:

Were the robocalls that Trump referenced during the debate, the ones that said "Trump is dropping out, vote for Cruz!", actually a thing?

Yes, and this is just a glimpse of the shenanigans and scandals that a Cruz Administration would do if it actually became a thing. Point being; gently caress Cruz, and get everyone you know to vote for Trump.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Peachstapler posted:

Pattersong knows the stats on this I think, we talked about this a couple months ago, but the sore loser laws only apply to a handful of states. But that's all you'd need is to exclude a place like Ohio and then that's all she wrote.

It's absolutely unclear as to how many states take sore loser laws seriously in this sort of situation. In 2012, when Gary Johnson ran as a Libertarian after previously running as a Republican, only Michigan actually enforced its sore loser law and kept him off the ballot. However, the Secretary of State of Ohio has already pledged to keep Trump of the ballot and others might follow suit in such a case.

I very much doubt Trump's doing the third party thing. In case it's not clear yet, Donald Trump's objective is to become President of the United States. I know that's hard for some people to accept, but he'd have a serious shot (less than 50-50, but still considerable) if he grabs the GOP nomination. He'd not get anything running third party and probably wouldn't win a single state. That would not be what Trump wants.

The petition requirements for getting on the ballot as an indy are rough. Texas, on May 9th, requires 80,000 signatures, so if you wanted to be on that ballot, you'd probably better start collecting them right this instant. If he waited until the convention, even setting aside sore loser laws, 14 states (TX, NC, IL, IN, NM, NV, GA, DE, FL, OK, SC, MI, WA, and MO) would have already had their deadlines pass and a bunch more would be days later and impossible to get signatures for.

If Trump really feels that this GOP nominating race isn't working out for him, what he needs to do is bail in mid-March (no later) and immediately file lawsuits in every state with a sore loser law that could keep him off the ballot that those laws are unconstitutional.

Trump's not entering a contest in which winning is literally not an option.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

babypolis posted:

Would "him" be the debate moderator here?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I actually get the feeling that the 9/11 thing isn't planned and is sort of personal to Trump. I mean, he probably does know people who died in the attacks, and the "he kept us safe!!!!" line personally irritates him. There was no percentage in that line for Trump - it won't even play all that well with voters outside New York in the general.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Patter Song posted:

He'd not get anything running third party and probably wouldn't win a single state. That would not be what Trump wants.

I strongly disagree. he might be perfectly happy just ruining Republican chances this election year. And to do that? All he needs is to get in to a couple of states, and eat up margin where the Republican would otherwise win, tossing such states to the Democrats outright. Even if he only got on the ballot on two or three states he could render a Republican win impossible by making it impractical to have a route to 270.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Trump wouldn't need to win to "win" by going third party: he would need to beat the Republican candidate. As long as he does that, it was the Republican who stole his nomination that threw the Presidency to the Democrats, not him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump wants to win, but failing that, I don’t think he’s above seeking vengeance. That’s a motive I respect.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Brannock posted:

i guess? it still wouldnt make any sense when compared to refering to himself which is an obvious challenge. either way he doesnt sound like a natural speaker at all. his accent is less cuban accent and more american who picked on some spanish accent

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Brannock posted:

It could be "to them", the audience, as well if the transcription posted earlier was correct. Or it could be "say it in Spanish, if you want" with an incorrect use of the imperative since "to say/tell" is irregular in the imperative mood. It's exactly the sort of mistake someone would make if they weren't fluent.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 14, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

As a reminder, Donald "@BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman" Trump only needs to get on the ballot in a couple states to wreck things for the Republicans. He doesn't even need to run in states adding up to 270+ electoral votes to gently caress with them, he only needs that if he cares about winning more than just spite/

Yea once we enter into winner take all stuff (which I think actually starts in SC right?) his goal is gonna be just gently caress results up and try to keep results scattered enough to force a brokered convention.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Trump wants to win, but failing that, I don’t think he’s above seeking vengeance. That’s a motive I respect.

Yup. He's been asked about running as an independent, and he's straight up said "It's not something that I'd like to do, as it would be bad for the Republicans" going as far to name races where it's hosed them in the past. However, he's also said that he expects to be "treated fairly".

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
here is an article from mid October in South Carolina when he first attacked Jeb Bush over 9/11

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/politics/donald-trump-september-11-south-carolina/

quote:

Anderson, South Carolina (CNN) - Donald Trump's suggestion that George W. Bush bears some responsibility for the September 11 terrorist attacks didn't sit well with voters here. But it's not inspiring them to turn on Trump.

"I think he went a little too far," Bobby Ladd, a 77-year-old resident of Liberty, South Carolina, said of Trump's comments. "But I'm still going to vote for him."

Trump set off his latest controversy last week when he told Bloomberg TV, "When you talk about George Bush, I mean, say what you want, the World Trade Center came down during his time."

Trump added: "Blame him, or don't blame him, but he was president. The World Trade Center came down during his reign."

While the GOP front-runner reiterated those comments on Twitter, he made no mention of September 11 when he took the stage in front of a crowd of thousands Monday. When reporters tried to question him about the issue after the event, Trump dodged the press -- a rare move for the normally accessible candidate.

"I don't know that we know all the truth," Julie Childers, a 44-year-old who turned out to see Trump, said of the terrorist attacks. But, "I wouldn't say that George W. Bush is to blame."

Even so, she intends to vote for Trump.

Still, attacking the former president could be a risky strategy in a Republican primary. While the former president remains a divisive figure among the general public, Republicans overwhelmingly view him in a positive light. Some 88% of Republicans said they had a favorable view of him in a May CNN/ORC poll.

Joseph Franchi, a 21-year-old Clemson University student who was decked out in Trump campaign swag, said of September 11, "I don't think anyone was to blame for that."

He and his friend Conor Leddy -- both fans of Trump -- said they were attracted to the candidate's calls for a stronger military, his off-the-cuff speaking style and his ability to attract diverse crowds, from college students to retirees.

One point the men agreed on: "If Trump became president he would protect our country," Leddy said. "I feel safe with Trump."

Even undecided voters showed little sign that Trump's latest controversial comment would be a driving factor in whether to vote for him.

"That bothered me," Dallas Jones, a 70-year-old retired schoolteacher, said of Trump's comments.

Her husband, Wayne Jones, jumped to Bush's defense.

"It wasn't his fault," Wayne said. "Bush couldn't control that. I don't think (Trump) could if he were president."

But both of the Joneses are still considering casting their ballots for Trump. But there's another candidate high on their list, too: Jeb Bush.

"It's just too far out," to make a decision yet, Wayne said.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Tooll4I.jpg][/img]

Jeb! That's not very nice!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mannerup posted:

here is an article from mid October in South Carolina when he first attacked Jeb Bush over 9/11

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/19/politics/donald-trump-september-11-south-carolina/

It's the nature of Trump supporters in that even if he says things they don't like. They still end up having the same belief in him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Valentin posted:

Apparently Rubio has decided "Cruz doesn't speak Spanish, please ignore that he spoke Iffy Spanish directly to me on the debate stage" is a fruitful line of attack.

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSiddiqui/status/698898013473734656

Does he think this will sink Cruz with the Republican base I don't get it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

etalian posted:

It's the nature of Trump supporters in that even if he says things they don't like. They still end up having the same belief in him.

its the magic of trump. he is whatever you want him to be.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

evilweasel posted:

I actually get the feeling that the 9/11 thing isn't planned and is sort of personal to Trump. I mean, he probably does know people who died in the attacks, and the "he kept us safe!!!!" line personally irritates him. There was no percentage in that line for Trump - it won't even play all that well with voters outside New York in the general.

I feel the same. His attacks on Bush don't make much sense when Bush has been reduced to single-digits and there's little potential for crossover. I think the line will play well to Trump's core base, in that he's refusing to back down to party consensus, but I suspect that the debate last night will make Trump an even less acceptable candidate to mainstream Republicans.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

babypolis posted:

its the magic of trump. he is whatever you want him to be.

It's a touché once you glimpse the toupee.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Phlegmish posted:

Does he think this will sink Cruz with the Republican base I don't get it

Makes Cruz seem fake on more things?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hopkins FBI posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Tooll4I.jpg][/timg]

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hopkins FBI posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/Tooll4I.jpg][/timg]

Please twitter this at Trump or otherwise get it spread.

You signed up with that as your name, right? Either way, it's one more thing to keep people talking.

• Locked thread