Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, the kids living in poverty loving pisses me off, when I'm one of the people having to make the most of what I can with these children, and trying to do what I can to drag them off the shitheap. Bad choices? Get a job? Go gently caress yourself, you smug loving oval office piece of poo poo. You loving tell me about bad decision making when I've got kids living in households where the parents have to make the choice between getting them stationery or a proper uniform, and the focus has to go on feeding them something that'll fill them up rather than nutrition because they can't afford that poo poo. I loving dare you.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/education/news/article.cfm?c_id=35&objectid=11588063

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

Family First have released an analysis of the 2007 anti-smacking law. It proves beyond doubt that the law has been ineffective in reducing child abuse. To the contrary, abuse has skyrocketed.

Police stats show there has been a 136 per cent increase in physical abuse, 43 per cent increase in sexual abuse, 45 per cent increase in neglect or ill-treatment of children, and 71 child abuse deaths since the law was passed. CYF have had more than one million notifications of abuse and there has been a 42 per cent increase in physical abuse found since 2007.

Sadly, these shocking child abuse statistics don't surprise me at all. Criminalising good parents for lightly smacking their kid was never going to address the underbelly of New Zealand society - feral parents.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11587550

gently caress you!!!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Gareth Hughes grew a Riker Beard and by gum he's going to use it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

gently caress you!!!

So...making a thing illegal increased the number reports of that thing happening tremendously? What? Wouldn't you expect the numbers to go up because people are getting prosecuted and data is getting gathered as a result?

Is 'feral parents' code for 'I'm a racist oval office'?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
I can not believe these motherfuckers are still pretending the law bans smacking

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

And yes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

So...making a thing illegal increased the number reports of that thing happening tremendously? What? Wouldn't you expect the numbers to go up because people are getting prosecuted and data is getting gathered as a result?

Is 'feral parents' code for 'I'm a racist oval office'?

Yeah, closing a legal loophole tends to result in more things that would normally have passed through that loophole being caught.

I love the "71 child abuse deaths" in nine fuckin' years, just tucked in there after all the statistics. But it's not a 71% increase! It's not even an increase! It's New Zealand's loving atrocious rate of child slaughter holding pretty much steady.

Is he saying that these kids wouldn't have been killed if the law change hadn't passed? Is he loving saying that making child abuse illegal caused people to just go off the deep end and murder children?

This guy needs to do a Hitchens and subject himself to the abuse he's defending. You know, being thrashed with a rake until you're bleeding, being hit in the face with a tire iron until you lose a tooth. See how long he loving lasts before he decides that yeah, that poo poo should be illegal.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Stop swallowing in the middle of your sentences, jesus christ. Even I could deliver a speech better than that. Content was awesome but god drat.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeah it's really disconcerting after watching a lot of US politics to come back to NZ politics, where every speech sounds like it was given by a nervous fourth-former in english class

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
We must dispense with this fiction that John Key is a good prime minister

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
We MUST dispense with the fiction that John Key is a good prime minister

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

oh my god keep going gareth i'm almost there

NZAmoeba posted:

Gareth Hughes grew a Riker Beard and by gum he's going to use it!
the dude's a trekkie so it's v appropriate to refer to it as such

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
with his beard gareth morgan looks 22 rather than 16 so it's probably an improvement for him

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Good speech, delivered to empty room.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Julie enjoyed it.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Totally, and I think we must dispense with this fiction that a prime minister "leads" the country, rather than merely leading the party he is the minister of. We don't need a leader, and I assert that we /can't/ be led since the country is too diverse. I think we need a head of state , and the prime minister could (and pragmatically does) fulfill that role, if only so we can remove that head from the body when needed....

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please do not dispense John Key.

We have more than enough John Key.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

... to Syria.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

This guy needs to do a Hitchens and subject himself to the abuse he's defending. You know, being thrashed with a rake until you're bleeding, being hit in the face with a tire iron until you lose a tooth. See how long he loving lasts before he decides that yeah, that poo poo should be illegal.

Wait what

Did your parents decide Dr Spock was for wusses and get their child-rearing advice from Mad Max

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bring back Helen

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fong posted:

Bring back Helen

Or don't, she's actually doing a lot of good internationally. But w/e

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Crane Fist posted:

Wait what

Did your parents decide Dr Spock was for wusses and get their child-rearing advice from Mad Max

Naw, just using some examples of the sort of thing that fuckwit parents actually got away with because of the smacking provision (tire iron one was made up, but the rake one was definitely real).

Anyone who claims that poo poo should be legal should be given the maximum extent of what the law's existence allowed. Because they think it should be legal.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

fong posted:

Bring back Helen

She's got a non-zero chance of being the next secretary-general of the UN so i'm more than happy her staying where she is.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gotta add my voice to this and say that Helen's helping far more than 4.something million in her current position.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Somfin posted:

Naw, just using some examples of the sort of thing that fuckwit parents actually got away with because of the smacking provision (tire iron one was made up, but the rake one was definitely real).

Anyone who claims that poo poo should be legal should be given the maximum extent of what the law's existence allowed. Because they think it should be legal.

That was the crazy thing - IIRC if you could convince a judge that you thought a particular assault was reasonable then that was enough to not be convicted because of the way the law was written. Part of the "reasonable" test could be that you were raised that way, and that allowed some fairly savage assaults like being hit with a polyurethane pipe to go unpunished. So, the "extent of the law" was different depending on who you were, because of that word "reasonable". Its extent depended on what the parent though was reasonable, rather than what the cops or judges or society at large thinks is reasonable.

Compare that to the censorship laws, where the OLFC has to decide if a particular item of media would be viewed by society as reasonable (well, not offensive) or not. Oddly enough, 3d objects are not under the OLFC's control - a teeshirt with a dick on it might be considered offensive, but a statue of a dick cannot be considered offensive by the OLFC.

klen dool fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 13, 2016

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What about an embossed poster with dicks all over it?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

mirthdefect posted:

I think electoral campaigns are considered free speech

klen dool
May 7, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Holy poo poo

klen dool
May 7, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

I actually don't know! I thought perhaps a pressed DVD full of something objectionable wouldn't fall under the OLFC purview because its a 3d object - lands and pits. But I like your thought experiment better.

I am not a lawyer btw.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

It took me hours to fully appreciate this.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Getting pretty sick of all these quakes just quietly.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

504 posted:

Maybe don't live on the most active edge of the most active tectonic plate in the world?

:corrupt:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah that was a hide-under-the-desk one from here in Shirley.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

504 posted:

Rough. Currently living on the other side of the pacific plate, so it you guys could just take all the bad stuff,

That'd be greeeeeat.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/01/05/how-inequality-made-these-western-countries-poorer/

quote:

New Zealand halved its top tax rate, cut benefits by up to a quarter of their value, and dramatically reduced the bargaining power – and therefore the share of national income – of ordinary workers. Thousands of people lost their jobs as manufacturing work went overseas, and there was no significant response with increased trade training or skills programs, a policy failure that is ongoing," Rashbrooke writes in the op-ed. He also blames New Zealand for a lack of affordable homes which led to higher rents and unpaid mortgages.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

:siren: nz was mentioned in foreign media nz was mentioned in foreign media nz was mentioned in foreign media :siren:

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Incoming Herald advertorial about how the article is wrong because new zealand punches above its weight with a can do attitude, and the property market is perfectly fine according to the Realtors who paid for this piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Infotainment! posted:

Incoming Herald advertorial about how the article is wrong because new zealand punches above its weight with a can do attitude, and the property market is perfectly fine according to the Realtors who paid for this piece.

Sandwiched between artices about good bloke Richie and Is Lorde Taken?

• Locked thread