Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
"Continues to be stale..." Nice. Because this isn't one of the best things on TV right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

"Continues to be stale..." Nice. Because this isn't one of the best things on TV right now.
A lot of people still think that. I don't, obviously. The first year was worth watching because a lot of the main stories were more than just 20 minute editorials on an issue with pop culture references sprinkled around for levity. Outside of a few moments last year (namely, the Canadian election and the megachurch stories), that's exactly what they were. Also, the segues between the news recap (which were hit-or-miss) and the main story increasingly became clip shows instead of other things, like skits. When that's your show on most weeks, I think that qualifies as "being stale."

I know that it's cathartic for a lot of people to hear someone tell it like it is and then share it on Twitter, Facebook, and wherever else. I prefer to be entertained on top of that, but there were a lot of moments when Last Week Tonight didn't do that for me, to the point where I stopped regularly tuning in on a weekly basis. I hope it improves, but I don't think it will.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's a comedy show. It's weekly talk show.

It's just not bound to the 24 hour news cycle as much as The Daily Show or The Onion, but it's carrying the same DNA. Comedy is Oliver's background, and humor is the bread and butter of the show. Its in-depth format may be an innovation, but it doesn't mean it's suddenly a news show.

There seems to be two camps who are determined to prove John Oliver (and Jon Stewart before him) is news:
- Those who want to feel important for watching the program. They expand their definition of journalism to include all things that are part of the CONVERSATION around current events.
- Those who are out to nail John Oliver because how dare you tell us what you do for living and that my consumption of your work isn't important.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 13, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I fall into a different category: Oliver is the only one drawing attention to important issues. He is co-opted by the journalism tag, even if that wasn't his original intent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, I have enough access to real, hard-hitting news from other sources that I always appreciate the levity that accompanies the issues LWT brings up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Apoplexy posted:

Season 2 was a real slog because instead of trying to be funny it felt like the show started trying to play to the acclaim season 1 got for being journalism. I don't need a 20 minute jag on reason 42934723990 america is hosed up with a few pop culture references and yelling at Janet from accounting. I already know about it. I'm sure it's helpful for people who don't pay any attention to news otherwise but I'm tuning in for frozen gently caress lizards and trout cannons, not prison reform.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
daily show's 20 year stale run for sticking to that stale formula

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
a news recap, followed by a skit, and then an interview? pshaw, i'm a little bit too refined to enjoy this structure, how stale.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

IRQ posted:

Season 2 was a real slog because instead of trying to be funny it felt like the show started trying to play to the acclaim season 1 got for being journalism. I don't need a 20 minute jag on reason 42934723990 america is hosed up with a few pop culture references and yelling at Janet from accounting. I already know about it. I'm sure it's helpful for people who don't pay any attention to news otherwise but I'm tuning in for frozen gently caress lizards and trout cannons, not prison reform.

John Oliver isn't even a real journalism. That's right.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm still a fan, but one thing I can do without from season 2 were the pre-recorded scenes where the same bullet points from the main presentation were just reiterated. Like the one about oil drilling in the midwest or public defenders.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I like this show when it's a high productive value The Bugle that touches on World News and the stories out there. Of late it's just focused on Internal US Politics, which aren't as interesting.

The Tobacco episode was the best from last season by far, more of that.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The whole "it's just a comedy show" defense is technically true: it's a comedy show that uses current events as its fodder for jokes. But sometimes, that defense is too convenient. If you spend half your time mocking a news outlet for their inaccuracy and bias, then if you get caught being inaccurate or biased (especially while pointing out the flaws of the aforementioned news outlet), then it's pretty cheap to just say, "yeah, but we're doing it for laughs" when you were also being at least a little serious.

It's like that kid, Johnny. You know, the one who always made fun of Billy. "Ha, Billy, look at your thrift store clothes! That won't be cool for 20 more years, when people with money see it as retro and ironic!" he said. "Ha! You're so poor, just because your dad died in Desert Storm!! Ha ha ha!" And then another kid says, "Hey Billy, you're wearing lovely clothes too, because your mom is raising your family all by herself since your dad died." Then Billy responds, "Yeah, but my dad didn't get shot in Iraq by some soldier. My dad was killed when he dressed up like Bigfoot and jumped toward a car going down the highway so the guy'd get scared and report a Bigfoot sighting and be laughed at by the whole town! HUGE difference!!"

Well it's not like that, but I've been waiting a long time to work that particular Darwinism into an analogy, and I got sick of waiting for an opportunity.

I guess it's just hard to decide just how much cake we let shows like this have while also letting them eat that same portion. It's a tricky, nebulous balance, and yeah, there's no easy answer.

(And to be fair, Jon Stewart did, on a few occasions, admit a few times that they were factually wrong about something. So he didn't fall back on the comedy excuse every time.)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Stewart would use the comedy defense when questioned on journalistic responsibility and ethics, which was a 100% valid rebuttal. Comedy is an art that touches on many different disciplines and fields, which inevitably causes it to have some overlap with those disciplines and fields. So while comedy can have it's fingers in journalism, holding it to the mores and responsibilities expected of Journalists is foolish. Stewart and the various shows that grew out of his Daily Show are comedy using tools of Journalism, among others, not Journalists hiding behind the shield of comedy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
[Placeholder post so in a few hours after I've seen S3 E1 and found out whether it's stale or good again I can come back here and edit in a prediction and then post an "I told you so"]

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

[Placeholder post so in a few hours after I've seen S3 E1 and found out whether it's stale or good again I can come back here and edit in a prediction and then post an "I told you so"]

It would take a considerable fool to accidentally thwart this amazing plan. I wish I'd thought of it!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
But saying John Oliver is using the "it's comedy" defense implies he was accused of material harm; that his show was under fire or controversy for something.

When your biggest critic is a discredited FIFA official, it's time to stop calling "I'm a comedian" a "defense"and more like "this is what I do and I love doing it."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

But saying John Oliver is using the "it's comedy" defense implies he was accused of material harm; that his show was under fire or controversy for something.

When your biggest critic is a discredited FIFA official, it's time to stop calling "I'm a comedian" a "defense"and more like "this is what I do and I love doing it."

Really, that was the only time? I guess I got so used to it happening to The Daily Show that I projected it onto its bastard child by an English tart.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
John Oliver will need to get a dog on the SCOTUS, cause Scalia is now dead.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

PassTheRemote posted:

John Oliver will need to get a dog on the SCOTUS, cause Scalia is now dead.

A man more deserving of a gently caress-youlogy, there is not.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

A man more deserving of a gently caress-youlogy, there is not.

I dunno, Dick Cheney would deserve one, equal to if not more than Scalia.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Clarence Thomas would deserve one if he ever gave any indication of having two brain cells to rub together against some unwilling secretary.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember a few people were disappointed Oliver didn't dance on Thatcher's grave.

So I doubt he'll start doing now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I still laugh each time I think of her because of Andy and John's title of the segment on her death: Maggie Thatcher: Death Catcher.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

I remember a few people were disappointed Oliver didn't dance on Thatcher's grave.

So I doubt he'll start doing now.

He loving should, although Thatcher had a much better song set up for her passing to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0TuXLrvyE4

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
There's a difference between the death of a retired Fucker and an active Fucker

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

pwn posted:

There's a difference between the death of a retired Fucker and an active Fucker

Yeah he mentioned that he did not give her one since she was retired and all her evil was decades ago. She also had tramp the dirt down the Elvis Costello song about dancing on her grave

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gyges posted:

Stewart would use the comedy defense when questioned on journalistic responsibility and ethics, which was a 100% valid rebuttal. Comedy is an art that touches on many different disciplines and fields, which inevitably causes it to have some overlap with those disciplines and fields. So while comedy can have it's fingers in journalism, holding it to the mores and responsibilities expected of Journalists is foolish. Stewart and the various shows that grew out of his Daily Show are comedy using tools of Journalism, among others, not Journalists hiding behind the shield of comedy.

At what point do you draw the line though? Jon Stewart is not and will not be remembered as the guy who made fun of CNN four nights a week. He's going to be remembered for the tremendous amount of influence he had on how young people saw the government. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say that Jon Stewart knew exactly how people saw him and liked to hop across that line as he saw fit.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 14, 2016

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think Stewart, and Oliver for that matter, are quite aware of where they stand. The comedy defense has always been more about the fact that their satire and wry commentary shows a greater resemblance to journalism than what the actual journalists are doing. Yes, they sometimes hop back and forth over the line, but that's pretty obviously born out of a deep frustration with the deplorable state of our news media and it's inability to actually talk about anything worthwhile.

Whenever this question comes up, I always think back to that Crossfire interview Jon did back in... gently caress, 2004? And his response to this exact criticism, "You're on CNN! The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The argument is even more specious with Oliver though, given how much research goes into his show.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The international stories last season were by far the weakest, hopefully this time they'll stick to poo poo they actually know about

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It is primarily a comedy show, but in its first season it did a pretty good job at being an informational show in its first season, and not so much in the second.

There's also a sort of symbiosis between the news and comedy, in that the severity of the issue and how much John Oliver was informing you of something you had no idea about added to the comedy., and that aspect didn't feel so strong last season.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Baronash posted:

At what point do you draw the line though? Jon Stewart is not and will not be remembered as the guy who made fun of CNN four nights a week. He's going to be remembered for the tremendous amount of influence he had on how young people saw the government. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to say that Jon Stewart knew exactly how people saw him and liked to hop across that line as he saw fit.

The goal of these shows is primarily to entertain you. If while doing that they also inform you, that is great. However their first goal is entertainment. The primary goal of a journalist is to inform you. If while doing that they also entertain you, that is great. However their first goal is entertainment. The tragedy of American Journalism being so lovely that people cracking jokes are more informative than mainstream journalists, doesn't make them journalists.

From time to time these shows will take up an issue purely in an effort to inspire action, like Jon and the Zadroga Bill. That's activism, which is also not journalism.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
It is not TDS or LWT's fault for appearing like journalism. Its journalism's fault for appearing like comedy.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

Whenever this question comes up, I always think back to that Crossfire interview Jon did back in... gently caress, 2004? And his response to this exact criticism, "You're on CNN! The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls."

That interview is, I'm pretty sure, the only reason that anyone still remembers that Crank Yankers ever existed. And I'm including the people who worked on the show in that "anyone".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That segment was the first time I ever heard of the Daily Show. It's depressing that the divide between left and right is even greater now than it was back then.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Mavric posted:

It is not TDS or LWT's fault for appearing like journalism. Its journalism's fault for appearing like comedy.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

That segment was the first time I ever heard of the Daily Show. It's depressing that the divide between left and right is even greater now than it was back then.

I don't see a solution. The American right is entrenched in identity politics, and refuses to accept fact. If you can't appeal via rational logic, and they're already prejudiced against you for whatever reason, there's no debate. You can't have a conversation. It's a non-starter by definition.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how annoyed they were by that Scalia news happening so late in the week. While there isn't enough for a whole segment it does mean they have to rearrange something in the weekly recap.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

I wonder how annoyed they were by that Scalia news happening so late in the week. While there isn't enough for a whole segment it does mean they have to rearrange something in the weekly recap.

You could come up with 7 hours of Scalia being a piece of poo poo jokes in about half an hour. He was so comically evil he wrote most of them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mavric posted:

The Onion's headline with Scalia's death make me think the real world is just to crazy for straight up satire anymore.

• Locked thread