Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Make some really spicy ginger beer per Morgenthaler and do Dark and Stormy night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm not going to bother quoting the post I'm replying to (like I normally do on a page break) because honestly the above is pretty good advice generally.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Liquor options are limited here in West Africa (locally produced gin is godawful), but I find some cool stuff and recently bought some decent Martinique rhum agricole. Made some Ti Punches, ran out and started using genetic rum and it really lacks with that. But on the bright side, while I'm making halfass TPs anyway I did some reading up an realized I'd been doing the likes totally wrong anyway. I'd just been juicing them, but apparently a true TP you cut out a disc of like from the side, getting pulp and peel both, squeeze it in and drop it in whole. So next week when some invoices clear and the bosses will give me a little budget to stock the company liquor cabinet I'm fixing to get some rhum agricole again, find proper glasses as best I can, and start making textbook TPs as our default house cocktail when we're entertaining colleagues.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

angor posted:

I have a bottle of Myer's Dark in my cabinet. It's rubbish, what can I do with it to make it palatable?

Rum Cake.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

^^ I totally forgot that Meyer's is great for baking. ^^

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Liquor options are limited here in West Africa (locally produced gin is godawful), but I find some cool stuff and recently bought some decent Martinique rhum agricole. Made some Ti Punches, ran out and started using genetic rum and it really lacks with that. But on the bright side, while I'm making halfass TPs anyway I did some reading up an realized I'd been doing the likes totally wrong anyway. I'd just been juicing them, but apparently a true TP you cut out a disc of like from the side, getting pulp and peel both, squeeze it in and drop it in whole. So next week when some invoices clear and the bosses will give me a little budget to stock the company liquor cabinet I'm fixing to get some rhum agricole again, find proper glasses as best I can, and start making textbook TPs as our default house cocktail when we're entertaining colleagues.

You want that pith and peel to add the base notes to the flavor mix. Nice find!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I have a ton of really nice fresh ginger, so making ginger beer is a fantastic idea. Rum cake also sounds great. Thanks, guys!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kenning posted:

^^ I totally forgot that Meyer's is great for baking. ^^

You want that pith and peel to add the base notes to the flavor mix. Nice find!

And yes, my autocorrect somehow turned every "lime" to "like", but you get the picture.

My bosses love them, and it's easy to keep limes on hand, every little food stand here has them, and I keep a bottle of simple syrup made from cane sugar in the fridge. My only hesitation in making it our official house drink is I don't know if limes decrease in availability during the dry season.

On the bright side, pineapple is plentiful in the dry season, so gonna hook up some sick Mai Tais with whatever rum I can scrounge up that suits best. And from the pineapple scraps I shall brew tepache and be happy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
At work christmas party Bottle of this came out.

I am in love

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nice! That looks awesome.

I was able to turn a friend onto Smith and Cross last night. That's always a delight

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Kenning posted:

Nice! That looks awesome.

I was able to turn a friend onto Smith and Cross last night. That's always a delight

I have a batch of Alton Brown's eggnog chilling in the fridge. He uses 1 cup each of cognac, bourbon and Jamaican rum, but my wife doesn't drink grain-derived spirits (celiac, and conservative about it) so I used 1.5 cups each of I don't even know which cognac and S&C.

I think the cognac is rounding things out a little, but man, whenever I sample it it's the hogo that puts a smile on my face.

PSA: Load your nogs with pirate juice. You won't regret it.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Haven't sat down with a nice rum in a while so this thread inspired me. Picked up some Smith and cross, Flor de cana 4yo, Neisson Rhum Agricole Blanc, and some Hamilton 151 to try over the holidays. Looking forward to it.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Asked for Smith and Cross for xmas and just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone in the thread who recommended it. This poo poo is fire in every sense.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Merry Smith and Crossmas!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I gave my friend a bottle of Smith and Cross for Christmas too. My problem is that I always buy Smitty as a gift, or for a punch, and never just to have around. Which means I never have it around.

It's a hard life.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I've never had a spirit polarize people like Smith and Cross. Half the people I give it to fall so hard for it, that it's the only thing they will ask me to make. The other half will not take more than one sip of it and say it's the worst thing they've ever tasted.

My wife works near the only liquor store within driving distance that stocks it and she hates it so much she won't even pick me up bottles when I ask because she doesn't want to smell the cocktails I make (nightly) with it.

Good poo poo if you ask me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I ordered some Smith & Cross and Pusser's blue label. Hopefully they'll arrive before New Years eve.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Dang no Smith & Cross available here. I was drinking this rum I got in 2011 from the canary islands (Arehucas 7 year old) and thought it was really nice and I started reading on rum types and figured the darkest most potent rum I could find would have been just my kind of thing. At 57% it sounds like my favorite whisky, cask strength Laphroaig.

S&C sounded like it could fill that need but alas... Anyone got any alternate recommendations?

We got one state owned store in Finland that is allowed to sell booze and this is what they got, I don't know much about rum, anything there that pops out to anyone?
http://www.alko.fi/en/search/products/?tags=(6996)(6750)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh man, I hope you can sometimes like, go to Sweden or Denmark or wherever it is that people in the Baltic region go to get booze. Based on that list, I'd recommend Old Pascas Dark Rum or Stroh. The Stroh isn't very refined, but it might have some of that kick you like. I'm not familiar with Old Pascas, but based on the price point, the description, and some clues on the bottle, that could be a pretty decent drink. Good luck and report back!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been years but yeah I can hop on a ferry and go any time to Umeå, Sweden, pop into a local Systembolaget and get what I want, bit excessive though for a single bottle, just a ticket is 50 bucks. I got half my extended family living all over Sweden so maybe I can put in an order with them if they come to visit, though that's usually not until summer.

I have Stroh 50 at home, it's a terrible industrial tasting thing (I kinda like how it smells tho) and mostly it gets used in eggnog. What I had decided was I wanted something old fashioned made in the traditional methods with all the proper tastes and minimal modern "improvements". S&C seems to fit that bill very well.

EDIT:
Gosling’s Family Reserve Old Rum seems like an alternative, at 50 euros it's seemingly cheaply priced compared to other places, we usually pay a premium for booze here.
Their Black Label rum also seems cheap and has good reviews, at least it's partially pot distilled, or so they claim.
Old Pascas Dark Rum is cheapest, but not sure it's the best. I am trying to find info on how it's made, probably blended, hopefully not all column distilled. Some negative reviews.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 1, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got my liquor shipment just in time for new year's eve, so I had some Pusser's Blue Label (54.5%)

Holy crap this stuff is amazing. Such richness and spiciness and the burn isn't even that bad for the strength.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Liquor store had Pyrat marked down to $15 for whatever reason, so I grabbed a bottle. It was pretty tasty on the rocks. What are some other delicious things I can do with it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been years but yeah I can hop on a ferry and go any time to Umeå, Sweden, pop into a local Systembolaget and get what I want, bit excessive though for a single bottle, just a ticket is 50 bucks. I got half my extended family living all over Sweden so maybe I can put in an order with them if they come to visit, though that's usually not until summer.

I have Stroh 50 at home, it's a terrible industrial tasting thing (I kinda like how it smells tho) and mostly it gets used in eggnog. What I had decided was I wanted something old fashioned made in the traditional methods with all the proper tastes and minimal modern "improvements". S&C seems to fit that bill very well.

EDIT:
Gosling’s Family Reserve Old Rum seems like an alternative, at 50 euros it's seemingly cheaply priced compared to other places, we usually pay a premium for booze here.
Their Black Label rum also seems cheap and has good reviews, at least it's partially pot distilled, or so they claim.
Old Pascas Dark Rum is cheapest, but not sure it's the best. I am trying to find info on how it's made, probably blended, hopefully not all column distilled. Some negative reviews.

The Gosling's stuff is certainly worth trying. We get the Black Seal here in the States, which is a fine black rum. Family Reserve might be quite nice, but I've never seen it for sale.

The smell on that Stroh is sort of like the least refined version of what S&C will give you. That dark funk, but in Smitty it's accompanied with some nice wood and brown sugar notes to round it out. Good luck in your search!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Recently discovered good rum and it's awesome. I no longer need to buy overpriced scotch and whisky! Now I just need to get my brother into the fold

El Dorado 12 is the best thing I've ever tasted. I can seriously spend an hour drinking the smallest amount and mostly smelling it like a creep. I can't even describe how much I love that smell. What else should I try that I will probably enjoy? Bonus point if it's in the same price range.

Just as a reference point I also enjoy appleton VX with a splash of water when I feel cheap but don't want to mix so it doesn't need to be as sweet as el dorado. But I'd like something smooth

They don't sell smith and cross here :( you guys make me want to try it so bad

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 6, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Drinking a Dark & Stormy with Smith & Cross and Jamaican ginger beer. This is the life.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone know where I can pick up some Smith and Cross in the seattle area? None of the places I've checked (Bevmo, Total Wine, a couple local liquor stores) carry it, and after seeing it talked up so much in the thread I'd like to pick up a bottle.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is it OK to make an Old Fashioned with honey? I completely forgot to buy sugar...

If it matters, I'm using Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Solumin posted:

Is it OK to make an Old Fashioned with honey? I completely forgot to buy sugar...

If it matters, I'm using Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve.

I've checked with the council of elders and you have their blessing.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

Kenning posted:

Oh man, I hope you can sometimes like, go to Sweden or Denmark or wherever it is that people in the Baltic region go to get booze. Based on that list, I'd recommend Old Pascas Dark Rum or Stroh.

I also have to live with the Finnish nonopoly selection. Problem here is that almost all the "premium" rums are sugared heavily. Zacapa 23 is probably the best deal of that lot.

Personally, I've settled for Huracan, Barra Oak Bay and Sailor Jerry spiced for the best deals around. Not too expensive, not sugared and not vile. The 'spiced' thing with Sailor Jerry was scary initially but I've found the spicing subtle enough to be enjoyable.

Old Pascas is pretty awful to be honest, I bought a bottle once and never again. It has the 'cheap low-quality distilled spirit' taste in it.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sailor Jerry is tasty, imo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

smn posted:

I also have to live with the Finnish nonopoly selection. Problem here is that almost all the "premium" rums are sugared heavily. Zacapa 23 is probably the best deal of that lot.

Personally, I've settled for Huracan, Barra Oak Bay and Sailor Jerry spiced for the best deals around. Not too expensive, not sugared and not vile. The 'spiced' thing with Sailor Jerry was scary initially but I've found the spicing subtle enough to be enjoyable.

Old Pascas is pretty awful to be honest, I bought a bottle once and never again. It has the 'cheap low-quality distilled spirit' taste in it.

Thanks for your perspective, I was flying blind on a lot of those. Also: my condolences.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

spankmeister posted:

I've checked with the council of elders and you have their blessing.

It worked OK but honey does not mix very easily. Still pretty tasty though.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Solumin posted:

It worked OK but honey does not mix very easily. Still pretty tasty though.

You could try mixing the honey with the liquor before any ice is added to either of those things, it might help.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

You can make honey syrup the same way you do simple syrup. That's what I did since my kids kept squirting my bottle of simple syrup into their drat breakfast cereal and tea. But they don't like honey so I win.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'd like to try my hand at making rum cake, does anyone have a particular recipe they endorse/adore?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

I'd like to try my hand at making rum cake, does anyone have a particular recipe they endorse/adore?

I'm lazy as all hell when it comes to rum cakes, and I make a good 4+ of these every Christmas. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/christmas-rum-cake/ I'll bake pretty much everything else from scratch, but a rum cake turns out just as good when you're cutting corners. I usually use a cheap white rum, but I've done with with Kraken or Havana Club as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

But Not Tonight posted:

You could try mixing the honey with the liquor before any ice is added to either of those things, it might help.

IME, honey does not mix well with a 40% alcohol solution, although it dissolves in lemon juice well enough (though that's not relevant for an Old Fashioned). Honey syrup is the way to go.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
anybody have a good US replacement for Havana Club 3 year? i've tried Flor de Cana 4 year, but it has too much of a kerosene aftertaste compared to the real deal

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

IME, honey does not mix well with a 40% alcohol solution, although it dissolves in lemon juice well enough (though that's not relevant for an Old Fashioned). Honey syrup is the way to go.

I have found this out the hard way.

Fortunately I now have actual sugar, so it's a moot point.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anyone know where I can pick up some Smith and Cross in the seattle area? None of the places I've checked (Bevmo, Total Wine, a couple local liquor stores) carry it, and after seeing it talked up so much in the thread I'd like to pick up a bottle.

So, I finally found a bottle of S&C, at the very last place i thought to look - a little local mom & pop supermarket right up the street. :doh: I can't believe I never checked there, I just assumed such a small place wouldn't carry it. I've taken a few sips of it and holy poo poo is it great, can't wait to have an Old Fashioned with it. Any other good suggestions for it, now that I've finally snagged a bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Don't ask me, I've found that an S&C old fashioned is all I've ever needed.

For my own question: I've got a bottle of Rhum Clement VSOP, What should I do with it? Ti Punch is an obvious start, but what else?

• Locked thread