Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So refined my old list where Wedge is a key attacker into something that uses more updated, more worthwhile upgrades:

Wedge Leads the Way (100)

Wedge Antilles (38) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), BB-8 (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Blue Ace" (33) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Weapons Guidance (2)

Lieutenant Blount (29) - Z-95 Headhunter
Predator (3), Assault Missiles (5), Shield Upgrade (4)

Wedge gets BB8 to get his ship out of arc on ships he wants to attack so that Outmaneuver and his pilot ability stack well to knock out two agility dice. The shield upgrade is because I know he will be a primary target, which is fine because Blue Ace will be his support to help. Blount is there is ensure I can deal with any TIE swarms with Predator and those assault missiles. Thoughts? My initial placement would be to have Wedge start off by himself with Blue Ace and Blount to team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Orvin posted:

I want to give Super Dash a try, but I want to run something other than Corran Horn. I was thinking of running two T-65 X-Wings with a 1 point droid and IA. To do that, I need to shave a couple points off of Super Dash. My question, is what's more important? The Heavy Laser Cannon, or Kyle Katarn? My guess is that Kyle is better for action economy, and with two 3 dice wingmen, I can give up the raw damage of the HLC and go with Mangler (also no donut hole). Any thoughts on this list?

Dash Rendar — YT-2400 36
Push the Limit 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Kyle Katarn 3
Engine Upgrade 4
Outrider 5
Ship Total: 55

Rookie Pilot — X-Wing 21
R2 Astromech 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 22

Rookie Pilot — X-Wing 21
R2 Astromech 1
Integrated Astromech 0
Ship Total: 22

Mangler Dash can work, but you should be aware that some pilots, particularly Soontir, are basically immune to Mangler cannons. He'll have 4 dice and autothrusters for every shot because he'll never be in arc, and will virtually always have a focus and an evade, so all he needs is a single anything on his four dice to avoid any Mangler shot, even a perfect one.

I mean, Soontir is a bit of a special case - but common enough to plan around - so the HLC is where I'd go, especially when Superdash tends not to get THAT much in the way of dice mods.

You'll really struggle to keep the rookies alive, too. T65s are really fragile and unmanouevrable. You'd be better off toughening one of them up (maybe Red Ace) and dropping the other to a z95 if you're set on a 3-ship list, but doing a 3-ship list with superdash is going to wind up with a severe compromise somewhere.

E: on an entirely separate note, I hinged my StarViper wings this afternoon. It was fun. Gonna have to paint it now, and just hope that they eventually make the fucker worth flying.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 14, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I've had a few good experiences where someone came over to me during a game and offered advice, but it was the gentle "ask questions" type of advice, and it was because I was doing something obviously really bad. GA has a few players who I think are better than I am, for sure, and I'll take what I can get if they wanna talk shop. Coming over to a dude and telling him his list sucks because the Phantom sucks because the Phantom got nerfed into the ground and why would you ever run the Phantom lmao isn't even advice, it's just being a loving idiot.

That said, it's 100% presumptuous to come over and just start telling someone stuff as if you do know better than they do. Having someone watching the game and asking what I thought I was getting out of PTL/BB-8 Poe was useful, even if he defaulted to offering up regen Poe as an alternative. If he had just come over and been like "PTL Poe eats dick, run this instead," I'd have been annoyed.

Yeah I don't know some people just seem to assume the best or worst regardless. I'm definitely someone who asks 'why are you using build x over meta build y' a lot, purely as a means to understand what they might be going for, what value they see in x. Some people are always excited to talk about their builds and their reasoning but other kinda take it as a presumed insult.

thespaceinvader posted:

E: on an entirely separate note, I hinged my StarViper wings this afternoon. It was fun. Gonna have to paint it now, and just hope that they eventually make the fucker worth flying.

Be sure to post pics.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

I actually spent quite a bit of Sunday taking my time, repainting the white areas, shading it, then retouching any of the black areas that I messed up, and now the paint job is much neater and the lines are much clearer. I bought some blue wash and diluted it to wash the white areas and it really added a lot more definition to those areas.I'm still having trouble keeping the white from not looking streaky but it looks a lot better and neater than it was before :)

Thanks for the advice!

Post it! Streaky washes can be fixed by adding a drop or two of future floor wax or by painting the wash inside the crevices and intentionally leaving the high spots exposed. You can also experiment with drybrushing a bit; I get a lot of mileage out of painting hard surfaces by combining drybrushing, washing, and manual highlighting.

Now I feel compelled to paint something.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

kingcom posted:

Be sure to post pics.

Would do, but the hinging is really pretty unremarkable, there are like a thousand examples on the intertubes, and I didn't take any process photos which might actually have been interesting. Of note is that it was necessary to remove the guns in order to fit the top wings in place - which in my case was good as one of my guns wasn't in straight so I could fix that. it just bugs me that the base peg isn't on straight so the whole thing is sliiiiightly wonky. Well, one of these days I'll magnetise. Probably before the StarViper is ever useful so....

When I get round to painting it I'll certainly post them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

C'est la vie, man. X-Wing isn't Warhammer, in my experience. If someone is legitimately going to consider it a "burned bridge" if you play a competitive list against him, that guy is never worth playing against. It's the epitome of hypocrisy. "Play the way I want you to play, but don't do the same thing back to me that's ~lame~ you ~tryhard~" is just ridiculous on its face. If someone asks you, like, "Hey, I don't think I'm good enough to contend against a list like that yet, can you run something else while I practice" or "I was looking to get a matchup against something more like <thing>, do you have that" that's one thing, and I will gladly go along for that ride. If someone's like "I'm not going to play you because you have TLTs in your list," I'm not sure he was worth hanging on to as a prospective opponent/X-Wing buddy. :shrug:

Odds are good these people are current or former Warhammer players. Warhammer is such a dogshit game that it just completely breaks down if people try to make powerful army lists - Which has cemented the notion in many people's heads that making powerful lists in miniatures games is lame and rude.

This is an understandable attitude in Warhammer, where a complete army can cost thousands of dollars and you can't just swap them out willy nilly like in X-Wing, and where playing someone with a min-maxed army is a frustrating experience. It's idiotic in X-Wing, though.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 15, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Post it! Streaky washes can be fixed by adding a drop or two of future floor wax or by painting the wash inside the crevices and intentionally leaving the high spots exposed. You can also experiment with drybrushing a bit; I get a lot of mileage out of painting hard surfaces by combining drybrushing, washing, and manual highlighting.

Now I feel compelled to paint something.
Not much light, but here's the pic:

Old version for comparison:

EDIT: Dunno how easy it actually is to see the difference above, but the sides look much neater and the struts are much straighter than they used to be.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 15, 2016

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Odds are good these people are current or former Warhammer players. Warhammer is such a dogshit game that it just completely breaks down if people try to make powerful army lists - Which has cemented the notion in many people's heads that making powerful lists in miniatures games is lame and rude.

This is an understandable attitude in Warhammer, where a complete army can cost thousands of dollars and you can't just swap them out willy nilly like in X-Wing, and where playing someone with a min-maxed army is a frustrating experience. It's idiotic in X-Wing, though.

That seems... frustrating to play. Every game would end in one player pissed that their opponent brought something less poo poo, even if it isn't min/maxed... Do you just assemble your army and hope your opponent is playing something that is the same level of nonoptimal as you? What a mess. How did (competitive) warhammer ever end get popular.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Brunas posted:

That seems... frustrating to play. Every game would end in one player pissed that their opponent brought something less poo poo, even if it isn't min/maxed... Do you just assemble your army and hope your opponent is playing something that is the same level of nonoptimal as you? What a mess. How did (competitive) warhammer ever end get popular.

In the 90s and early 2000s there really wasn't much else going on in miniature wargaming. GW did a lot to popularize wargaming back then, and most current wargamers were introduced to the hobby by Warhammer. It's been in a steady decline since then, as it's popularity helped spawn better games which are now slowly chipping away at it's market share.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brunas posted:

Competitive Warhams was a huge unbalanced mess for as long as I was in the hobby. Friendly games were a combination of all-comers a little bit of everything lists, weird/cool gimmicks and people testing poo poo out for tourneys. It was basically a diceroll as to how balanced two lists were against each other.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Brunas posted:

Games Workshop doesn't give a drat about making games. Full stop. Their latest version of the game completely lacks army-building rules. Just, like, play stuff and agree with your opponent man.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No, this would be frustrating to play. Against.

Han Solo (46)
Push the Limit (3)
C-3PO (3)
Jan Ors (2)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Lando Calrissian (3)
Conner Net (4)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Han guarantees three evades per round (Evade action, PTL focus, Jan makes it an evade, C3PO guesses 0, guaranteeing one evade) unless he decides he wants one of them to be a focus token. Miranda regens whilst still being effective, and gets evades and focuses if she's lucky.

I call it 'you're going to need more red dice'. Because Han here is a very very strong closer; unless you're throwing four red dice or using Juke (with or without Omega Leader) or some other way of removing/cancelling tokens, you absolutely cannot get any damage through against him with a single ship using normal attacks. None. (Unless you manage to bump him and still attack, but that's a challenge when he's PS9)

It's hideous. It's based on the misunderstanding of Jan that I mentioned from my tourney this weekend allowing two evades per round, this gets three. Ugh I feel dirty.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 15, 2016

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Usually fly scum but I won a TIE Phantom last year at a local tourney and was thinking about using it for this year's game coming up.

I haven't had much practice with Imp lists but I figure I could borrow a couple extra TIEs and fly this list:

Black Squadron Pilot (14) X 4
Crack Shot (1)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Any advice on what to practice with this list or things to look out for? Or will I just get eaten alive by tlt Ys

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Corbeau posted:

Games Workshop doesn't give a drat about making games. Full stop. Their latest version of the game completely lacks army-building rules. Just, like, play stuff and agree with your opponent man.

What? I don't understand how you can have a miniature army game without army-building rules. You just plonk down whatever the hell you want?

Panzeh posted:

So, Han ain't dead, kids. The key is patience. Very few lists benefit from bum rushing from the start.

I also think that for lists like mine setup is just a way to manipulate the opponent more than anything. Both Han and Miranda have a ton of movement options and I can split them up in all kinds of ways. Things like brobots have intricate game plans but I just do things that troll my opponent.

I'm curious whether you faced any lists with Black Crack miniswarm? I've played my Dash+Corran list against those and gotten shellacked. I know I'm using Corran wrong, because he gets wiped out by miniswarm on like the 2nd or 3rd turn. I'm going back and forth between using my Dash list in upcoming store champs or switching to a Miniswarm list that I've had some success with against things like TLT.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Finster Dexter posted:

What? I don't understand how you can have a miniature army game without army-building rules. You just plonk down whatever the hell you want?

literally yes

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chance II posted:

Usually fly scum but I won a TIE Phantom last year at a local tourney and was thinking about using it for this year's game coming up.

I haven't had much practice with Imp lists but I figure I could borrow a couple extra TIEs and fly this list:

Black Squadron Pilot (14) X 4
Crack Shot (1)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Any advice on what to practice with this list or things to look out for? Or will I just get eaten alive by tlt Ys

I've had great success with lists like this against TLT lists like ThugLife.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm curious whether you faced any lists with Black Crack miniswarm? I've played my Dash+Corran list against those and gotten shellacked. I know I'm using Corran wrong, because he gets wiped out by miniswarm on like the 2nd or 3rd turn. I'm going back and forth between using my Dash list in upcoming store champs or switching to a Miniswarm list that I've had some success with against things like TLT.

I mean crackshot isn't really much of a thing against this list. I didn't play a crack swarm, but I've played against enough swarms to generally understand them. If corran is getting wrecked on turn 2 or 3 you're playing way too fast. Slow down, let the rocks work for you.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Finster Dexter posted:

I've had great success with lists like this against TLT lists like ThugLife.

Cool. I've been wanting to try imps and this list seems like a kindof mirror mirror version of my usual Kath + mini Z swarm. Its been awhile since I've even seen a phantom played so I know I'm going to need to get some practice in.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

I dunno, the people at my FLGS have a gentleman's agreement basically to never play thug life on our casual nights/monthly tournament because it's not really fun to fly against or with. Most people try to avoid Brobots and VSP too because its fun to throw together experimental lists and slam them together and hone lists into something that could be competitive. Store championships are no holds barred though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chance II posted:

Cool. I've been wanting to try imps and this list seems like a kindof mirror mirror version of my usual Kath + mini Z swarm. Its been awhile since I've even seen a phantom played so I know I'm going to need to get some practice in.

Yeah, the Phantom takes practice, but can be very satisfying and fun when it starts to click.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

kingcom posted:

Yeah I don't know some people just seem to assume the best or worst regardless. I'm definitely someone who asks 'why are you using build x over meta build y' a lot, purely as a means to understand what they might be going for, what value they see in x. Some people are always excited to talk about their builds and their reasoning but other kinda take it as a presumed insult.

I'm definitely in the former category. If someone comes over and asks after stuff in my list, I'm game to talk it over, within reason. I'm still mid-game, usually.

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah, that was my general understanding - that Warhammer is so fundamentally broken that you cannot field a competitive army or the community will turn against you. This seems to be a by-product of buy-in cost and the amount of effort it takes just to construct a single army. If you painstakingly paint an army of bads, you still spent $500 on them, they still look cool, but they're poo poo - so it feels bad having them get wrecked by some guy with bare plastic running Good Stuff Du Jour. You're on point about X-Wing not having a need for that kind of attitude - there's plenty of viable top-flight lists, and if you think "Well poo poo, Brobots is OP as hell" you can buy in to Brobots for certainly less than $500.

ranbo das posted:

I dunno, the people at my FLGS have a gentleman's agreement basically to never play thug life on our casual nights/monthly tournament because it's not really fun to fly against or with. Most people try to avoid Brobots and VSP too because its fun to throw together experimental lists and slam them together and hone lists into something that could be competitive. Store championships are no holds barred though.

I feel like that will leave you at a massive disadvantage for when store championships actually roll around, though. If you have no matchup experience against TLTs or Brobots or VFP, you are going to get BTFO by those lists, probably. It's good to try new stuff, and then you should probably try that new stuff against the proven-effective builds. It's all well and good that a list can beat Rage!Keyan, but that may not help you suss out the relative strength against commonly accepted "viable"/top-flight squads.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, sorry if this has already been covered, but do we know yet about whether the Greedo and Boba crew cards will work together? Since the other day (yyep I totally forgot to post this then..) after the Payback update came out I was thinking about various ways to slot Boba onto the satanwagon (like many others, I'm sure) and get an almost-guaranteed crit -preferably still using an HLC- to use to strip off someone's expensive upgrade from them. And I'm sure I recall someone mentioning using Greedo for this (which would be good, as Boba+Greedo is only two points - although they do use two crew slots), however I'm not sure if you actually can do that, since it's still classed as a regular damage card/point, right? Greedo only causes it to be dealt face-up; he doesn't explicitly turn it from a standard damage into a critical hit, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. (At work at the moment so I can't check the card, but I'm pretty sure that's right)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, sorry if this has already been covered, but do we know yet about whether the Greedo and Boba crew cards will work together? Since the other day (yyep I totally forgot to post this then..) after the Payback update came out I was thinking about various ways to slot Boba onto the satanwagon (like many others, I'm sure) and get an almost-guaranteed crit -preferably still using an HLC- to use to strip off someone's expensive upgrade from them. And I'm sure I recall someone mentioning using Greedo for this (which would be good, as Boba+Greedo is only two points - although they do use two crew slots), however I'm not sure if you actually can do that, since it's still classed as a regular damage card/point, right? Greedo only causes it to be dealt face-up; he doesn't explicitly turn it from a standard damage into a critical hit, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. (At work at the moment so I can't check the card, but I'm pretty sure that's right)

Greedo does allow you to trigger Boba Fett. Boba's card specifically says "dealt a faceup damage card", and Greedo does that.

Language in this game is very specific. Most of the time.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Greedo does allow you to trigger Boba Fett. Boba's card specifically says "dealt a faceup damage card", and Greedo does that.

Language in this game is very specific. Most of the time.

Aah, right OK then. I had (mistakenly, it seems) thought that Boba's stated specifically that the other ship needed to be dealt a critical hit, specifically. (and well, if that was the case, I wasn't sure how pedantic FFG would've been with Greedo, but false alarm) Excellent, now I'll happy return to pondering different el cheapo Boba combos to tack onto my other Scum lists, to help throw sand in my opponents eyes (likely while my pilots snort a line of space-cocaine)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brunas posted:

Just a caveat, but I quit playing 40K a few years ago. Likely my perception is skewed.

Competitive 40K became popular around the time 3rd edition came out. 3rd edition was the first time GW really attempted to clean up their rules set, tightening things down and making it less about pure random chance and more about predictable play. Personally I argue 3rd edition was one of the best rulesets GW ever came out with, and everything they've done since then has been a steady decline back to 2nd edition and chance dictating everything. Originally GW would run tournaments, but then they discovered that doing so would mean they would have to actually support their lovely rules and so instead they dropped all of the community stuff and doubled down on shoving out models and rules/systems/lists designed to encourage you to buy more models. Competitive 40K is not fun (at least in my experience). The rules are far too sloppy to make it work and unless you bring a top tier list specifically designed to exploit the metagame then you're pretty much hosed. Beer and pretzels 40K is less about actually playing the game and more about hanging out with your friends and having a good time. Frankly I'm not a huge fan of it either at this point, mostly because the rules are far too tedious and in the time since 3rd edition came out game design has vastly improved. There are far better games out there that are not only more engaging but also more fun. I consider X-Wing to be one such game, and Infinity to be another.

Unfortunately the problem of competitive versus casual lists is prevalent in any game. X-Wing is unique in that the game itself is heavily skill based due to how maneuvering works, so bringing a top tier list is not as sure-fire as it was for 40K back when I played. And different players view the game differently, even in this thread. One player might consider Thug Life to be lovely and not fun to play against, another player might see that list as a challenge to beat. It all depends on your local group, the nature of the venue, and a variety of other things.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I feel like that will leave you at a massive disadvantage for when store championships actually roll around, though. If you have no matchup experience against TLTs or Brobots or VFP, you are going to get BTFO by those lists, probably. It's good to try new stuff, and then you should probably try that new stuff against the proven-effective builds. It's all well and good that a list can beat Rage!Keyan, but that may not help you suss out the relative strength against commonly accepted "viable"/top-flight squads.

I mean people will say "run brobots against me" or "run tlts" etc and actually play against them, but it's usually by request to practice flying against it. I think a big part of it is we also run a year-long league that's taken pretty seriously (like 75% of the players run some form of those three lists) and we all get sick of flying against meta lists all day erry day.

Basically, it's nice to have a dedicated fun zone which is still competitive to get away from flying against the same ships all the time, although I can definitely see how this might not be viable for all scenes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

guts and bolts posted:

Yeah, that was my general understanding - that Warhammer is so fundamentally broken that you cannot field a competitive army or the community will turn against you. This seems to be a by-product of buy-in cost and the amount of effort it takes just to construct a single army. If you painstakingly paint an army of bads, you still spent $500 on them, they still look cool, but they're poo poo - so it feels bad having them get wrecked by some guy with bare plastic running Good Stuff Du Jour. You're on point about X-Wing not having a need for that kind of attitude - there's plenty of viable top-flight lists, and if you think "Well poo poo, Brobots is OP as hell" you can buy in to Brobots for certainly less than $500.

This is another big part of the difference between X-Wing and 40K. The far lower barrier to entry (both in terms of money and time) makes it far easier to be flexible with respect to a list. That said "community" is a misnomer. If you bring a poo poo list to the NOVA Open 40K tournament you will get murdered. On the other hand they specifically have narrative matches because competitive 40K can be unfun.

Also anyone here going to NOVA? I'm tempted to get a pass and show up. I used to run the 40K scoring stuff but got burned out.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, bought my first of three Defenders, and as soon as I start to put it together, the goddamn stand snaps off inside the TIE. I suppose it kinda helps, since I'll be repainting it in white, but how do I fix it, besides drilling and replacing with a brass rod?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is another big part of the difference between X-Wing and 40K. The far lower barrier to entry (both in terms of money and time) makes it far easier to be flexible with respect to a list. That said "community" is a misnomer. If you bring a poo poo list to the NOVA Open 40K tournament you will get murdered. On the other hand they specifically have narrative matches because competitive 40K can be unfun.

Also anyone here going to NOVA? I'm tempted to get a pass and show up. I used to run the 40K scoring stuff but got burned out.

Honestly I've considered going, but I'll likely be tapped out from GenCon. Maybe next year :smith:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilo147 posted:

So, bought my first of three Defenders, and as soon as I start to put it together, the goddamn stand snaps off inside the TIE. I suppose it kinda helps, since I'll be repainting it in white, but how do I fix it, besides drilling and replacing with a brass rod?

If it was a defect in the item itself then I would contact FFG and have them send you a replacement. Their customer service has been pretty good, at least in my experience.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Re: 40k chat. I've actually set up and played a full game of X-Wing in the time it took for 2 people to set up a standard (more or less) tournament level game of 1850 points. We played 2 more games of wangs in the time in took them to play 6 rounds of their single game for the day, and had another game going alongside ours at roughly the same speed. The rules book is almost an inch thick, with relevant bits for your particular army scattered here and there (which are, as mentioned before, sloppily written), and then the rest of your army's rules can be found in a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th...) book that is some flavor of codex, supplement, campaign addition, or whatever else they're calling them now. I've had to un-learn a pile of habits learned from years of 40k; when someone said "bringing your A-game is a good way to not make friends in 40k", they weren't joking at all. All of this on top of the price increases for models (a single squad will easily cost what 2 single-ship expansions cost, and only be a fraction of your army) led some goons to start taking bets on how long it is before GW goes under, over in the Death Pool thread (which doubles as the temple for the Cult of Wangs, more often than not).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah send them a email, preferably with a picture attached and/or proof of purchase and they are usually super good about sending you a replacement or compensation. FFG has legit solid CS, they are the anti star citizen imo.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

kingcom posted:

Yeah send them a email, preferably with a picture attached and/or proof of purchase and they are usually super good about sending you a replacement or compensation. FFG has legit solid CS, they are the anti star citizen imo.

Even if I underestimated how loving brittle the stands are?

TheHoosier posted:

GW will never die. They probably make decent money off licensing their IPs to competent companies like FFG and Creative Assembly. Not to mention the hardcore 40k players who double-down on everything and gobble up every piece of poo poo decision GW makes. I'd love for someone else to take over the 40k property and turn it into something more enjoyable/less wallet-shattering.

FFG makes a better 40k product than GW will ever make. That said, I still will occasionally buy old rear end Tyranids. I have something like 19,000 points already, I want to play a massive game with them someday.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 15, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Re: 40k chat. I've actually set up and played a full game of X-Wing in the time it took for 2 people to set up a standard (more or less) tournament level game of 1850 points. We played 2 more games of wangs in the time in took them to play 6 rounds of their single game for the day, and had another game going alongside ours at roughly the same speed. The rules book is almost an inch thick, with relevant bits for your particular army scattered here and there (which are, as mentioned before, sloppily written), and then the rest of your army's rules can be found in a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th...) book that is some flavor of codex, supplement, campaign addition, or whatever else they're calling them now. I've had to un-learn a pile of habits learned from years of 40k; when someone said "bringing your A-game is a good way to not make friends in 40k", they weren't joking at all. All of this on top of the price increases for models (a single squad will easily cost what 2 single-ship expansions cost, and only be a fraction of your army) led some goons to start taking bets on how long it is before GW goes under, over in the Death Pool thread (which doubles as the temple for the Cult of Wangs, more often than not).

GW will never die. They probably make decent money off licensing their IPs to competent companies like FFG and Creative Assembly. Not to mention the hardcore 40k players who double-down on everything and gobble up every piece of poo poo decision GW makes. I'd love for someone else to take over the 40k property and turn it into something more enjoyable/less wallet-shattering.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

Even if I underestimated how loving brittle the stands are?

Whats the worst that can happen, 'nah thats your fault bro' ?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Are there ever any good online sales for X-Wing stuff? I think I remembered someone mentioning a Black Friday sale at an online retailer like CoolStuffInc or Miniatures Market a while back. Is that a regular thing?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MeinPanzer posted:

Are there ever any good online sales for X-Wing stuff? I think I remembered someone mentioning a Black Friday sale at an online retailer like CoolStuffInc or Miniatures Market a while back. Is that a regular thing?

I'm australian so literally anything is a good sale for me but bookdepository.co.uk has got some super cheap prices on the larger ships and do free international shipping.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Amazon used to be pretty decent but recently it's been just a few cents less than list price. Miniature Market usually has things for 5-10 off of list price, though shipping being 6 bucks incentivizes multiple purchases.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you don't mind Certified Pre-Owned Spaceships, it's worth joining the FB sell/trade group. I happened to be browsing and the first to call dibs the same time a lot containing a Firespray, Falcon, Imp Aces, 4 B-Wings, 4 X-Wings, 4 A-Wings, 3 Y-Wings 2 E-Wings, 1 HWK, 5 TIE/LN, 2 Tie Bomber, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 TIE Phantoms, and a set of Litko acrylic tokens went up.. for a hundred dollars. Obviously an outlier, but you can still snag some good deals, or trade stuff and save cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Amazon used to be pretty decent but recently it's been just a few cents less than list price. Miniature Market usually has things for 5-10 off of list price, though shipping being 6 bucks incentivizes multiple purchases.

discountgamesinc has a limited x-wing inventory, but what it has is at pretty substantial discounts from list price. (with free shipping on $50+ orders)

• Locked thread