Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Who's ordering all these political cakes anyway?

I can understand if printers had to be politically neutral in the paper products they print, although at the same time I can fully understand if a Muslim printer told me to gently caress off if I wanted 2000 'Halal is barbaric' flyers, but are people really using baked goods as a means of communicating a political message?

Well, arguably an egg and bacon sandwich was responsible for the last election result so....

Political patisserie is a dangerous thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jose posted:

for such an ardent supporter of anti-discrimination its a shame you made a racist post in one of these threads

I, too, do not believe you can suggest someone is not acting in the best interests of their own racial group without, yourself, being racist.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

TinTower posted:

It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of (non-violent) political opinion in Northern Ireland.

Ashers weren't just found guilty of discrimination on the basis of sexuality, they were also found guilty of discrimination on the basis of political opinion.

You all should read the judgment in the case, it's rock solid.

Well yeah it is rock solid its an accurate interpretation of the law, are you assuming that people who disagree with the decision are doing so because they think the judge interpreted the law wrong because that's not the case, its because they find the idea of discrimination based on political opinion being illegal a worrying thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

I, too, do not believe you can suggest someone is not acting in the best interests of their own racial group without, yourself, being racist.

Didn't she call someone a coconut? Is it ok for white lib dems to go around calling non-white people coconuts? And then give hilarious politician style non-apologies?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

This is one of the reasons that the facts of the Junior Doctors Contract issue get so little traction. Because it take 3 seconds to say SEVEN DAY NHS and ten minutes to explain why it's dumb. It take 30 seconds to say 'MORE LIKELY TO DIE ON WEEKENDS' and ten minutes to explain that no, it doesn't, the studies have been excessively misrepresented and even if it does, it's not necessarily evidence of causative effects .

A lie can go round the world before the truth has got its boots on, basically.

And the current political climate doesn't give room for the reasoned viewpoint, though Corbyn's trying his best.

It's why I don't have a problem with people using LBJ style "call him a pigfucker, make that son of a bitch deny it" tactics against the Tories since they're clearly using it themselves. Hell their dead cat political bullshit is just an extreme of that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dead son political bullshit

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

David Cameron has beaten his dead son so regularly one would think it still had a heartbeat.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

marktheando posted:

Didn't she call someone a coconut? Is it ok for white lib dems to go around calling non-white people coconuts? And then give hilarious politician style non-apologies?

Whilst there are problems with saying someone is "acting white" or whatever, if someone is acting in a manner consistent with enforcing/supporting white privilege, it's probably okay to call them out on it, even if you yourself are white? Like it might not be the classiest way of doing so and, yes, it's probably better left for the community in question to make the criticism anyway, people ITT act like she is Nick Griffin IRL, not someone who made a good point in a possibly unwise way.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Are straight people not allowed to call Milo Yiannopolous a massive self-hating homophobic dickwad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Are straight people not allowed to call Milo Yiannopolous a massive self-hating homophobic dickwad?

So long as you manage to do it without calling him erm.. I dunno if there's an equivalent term for sexuality but imagine if you did so by calling him a fag on the outside or something.

Your complaint may be legitimate but there is appropriate and inappropriate language to use when making one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mister Adequate posted:

Whilst there are problems with saying someone is "acting white" or whatever, if someone is acting in a manner consistent with enforcing/supporting white privilege, it's probably okay to call them out on it, even if you yourself are white? Like it might not be the classiest way of doing so and, yes, it's probably better left for the community in question to make the criticism anyway, people ITT act like she is Nick Griffin IRL, not someone who made a good point in a possibly unwise way.

you use far too many commas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

OwlFancier posted:

So long as you manage to do it without calling him erm.. I dunno if there's an equivalent term for sexuality but imagine if you did so by calling him a fag on the outside or something.

Your complaint may be legitimate but there is appropriate and inappropriate language to use when making one.
The equivalent of what happened in thread would be like criticizing a Coohoolin post by posting this with no further explanation:

It could be taken as unnecessarily provocative and tacky and tactless, although in the above case surprisingly tasty looking.

Also imagine that whatever that is has a name and it comes with racial connotations too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy loving poo poo are you telling me you can actually get swiss roll in a scotch egg?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
idk, that was a photoshop. I hope they exist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aww, gently caress, I was really hoping you'd just googled it and it came up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

idk, that was a photoshop. I hope they exist.

why? they sound disgusting

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

You can but it's rude.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Eh, it's more analogous to calling him a 'False Fag Operation'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

:golfclap:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tesseraction posted:

It's why I don't have a problem with people using LBJ style "call him a pigfucker, make that son of a bitch deny it" tactics against the Tories since they're clearly using it themselves. Hell their dead cat political bullshit is just an extreme of that.

I don't have much of a problem with some people doing it, as long as there are others actually trying to bring back the idea that politics should be based on rational assessment of evidence rather than tummyfeels and slogans.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

:vince:

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't have much of a problem with some people doing it, as long as there are others actually trying to bring back the idea that politics should be based on rational assessment of evidence rather than tummyfeels and slogans.
Tories have 'the party of being sensible and rational' in the bag at the moment, despite all actual rational evidence, so I'm not sure how you start a mass campaign to get people to think on that, rather than thinking they're thinking on that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jose posted:

you use far too many commas

Try telling that to Constant Content

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tesseraction posted:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

You can, because there's a big difference between that and saying he is 'straight on the inside'. One is insulting his views, the other is insulting his identity.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That coconut post was absolutely outrageous. Like, do a double take, rub your eyes, cannot believe what you are actually seeing outrageous. But it was a mistake that has hopefully been learned from, perhaps it can act as a parable against the tendency to jump on somebody's previous poorly chosen words and act as though it invalidates everything else they ever say.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hoops posted:

That coconut post was absolutely outrageous. Like, do a double take, rub your eyes, cannot believe what you are actually seeing outrageous. But it was a mistake that has hopefully been learned from, perhaps it can act as a parable against the tendency to jump on somebody's previous poorly chosen words and act as though it invalidates everything else they ever say.

:agreed:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

jabby posted:

You can, because there's a big difference between that and saying he is 'straight on the inside'. One is insulting his views, the other is insulting his identity.

I agree about the identity, but I'd have thought the "self hating" thing might have fallen under that.

Hoops posted:

yeah it was hosed up op

Tesseraction posted:

holy poo poo

Guavanaut posted:

The equivalent of what happened in thread would be like criticizing a Coohoolin post by posting this with no further explanation:

It could be taken as unnecessarily provocative and tacky and tactless, although in the above case surprisingly tasty looking.

Also imagine that whatever that is has a name and it comes with racial connotations too.

motherFUCKER that looks good.

what's funny though is that I never ever saw or ate a Swiss roll while living in Switzerland, it's not really a Swiss thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hoops posted:

i don't really care but said poster was getting outraged and i felt like bringing it up

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Tories have 'the party of being sensible and rational' in the bag at the moment, despite all actual rational evidence, so I'm not sure how you start a mass campaign to get people to think on that, rather than thinking they're thinking on that.

Nor am I :(

I've been trying, but I'm struggling to find time to write about this stuff, especially given how difficult it seems to be to actually get any headway. I've mostly been sticking to angry tweeting.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 14, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

what's funny though is that I never ever saw or ate a Swiss roll while living in Switzerland, it's not really a Swiss thing.

gently caress you, now they're called Freedom Rolls

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

gently caress you, now they're called Freedom Rolls

Considering it's based on Switzerland shouldn't we call them Nazi Rolls?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't be so loving insensitive.

Nazi Collaborator Rolls.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Jesus Christ thread some of you really need to stop and look at yourselves I mean sometimes you go too far with your absurd justifications of your ridiculous beliefs, I mean honestly there is no way the Swiss roll scotch egg would be nice I mean the flavours just would not work at all nor would the textures, you people make me sick.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tesseraction posted:

Considering it's based on Switzerland shouldn't we call them Nazi Rolls?

They're actually Austrian so go right ahead.

Nazi Rolls.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Cool and fun jokes slandering an entire nation for the sins of some of their grandparents.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The only notable achievements of the Austrian nation are to have convinced the world that Hitler was German and that Beethoven was Viennese.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

Cool and fun jokes slandering an entire nation for the sins of some of their grandparents.

Germany is cool, Switzerland is still a shithole to this day.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I dunno, Austria achieved Arnold Schwarzenegger not being allowed to voice the German version of the Terminator because he would sound like a farmer, which has led me to never not hear his lines in a broad Devonshire accent when I watch the film. SO there's that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://democracy.islington.gov.uk/documents/s6740/Health%20and%20work%20-%20HWB%20update%20Jan%202016%20final.pdf

Check out 4.3

Is that DWP workers with no medical training getting to alter medical records?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I dunno, Austria achieved Arnold Schwarzenegger not being allowed to voice the German version of the Terminator because he would sound like a farmer, which has led me to never not hear his lines in a broad Devonshire accent when I watch the film. SO there's that.

So Arnie's the Austrian version of non-James Earl Jones Darth Vader? That's hilarious.

• Locked thread