Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

there are exceptions to this, like jaime knocking over the cup is best seen live on youtube

yes. as a wild card i'm forced to agree that anything is better than letting the Mountain that Doesn't Write into your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe the king's circle is like a little circular medallion that you glue to your forehead. Didn't think of that, did you ya nerds

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I imagine a hula hoop

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
No idea how I found it, but this persons deviantart sketches are cute.

http://sir-heartsalot.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

They have some sweet ASOIAF other fantasy stuff as well.

If you never saw it, a whole first law graphic novel was planned but fell through. The first (only?) 90 pages are available free. Pretty cool and I'm not into comic stuff at all. Good artwork I guess, reminds me of the GRRM hedge knight stuff.

http://www.firstlawcomic.com/page/1/

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

spandexcajun posted:

No idea how I found it, but this persons deviantart sketches are cute.

http://sir-heartsalot.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

Apart from logen and Vitari I have literally no idea who all those characters are supposed to be. Is that the same guy who did cutesy drawings of GoT characters who are like massive rapists or torturers?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The comic's problem is that it's really boring and can't translate the writing into a visual medium. The narration just being long-form quotations is pretty telling.

The Hedge Knight comics were better: they suffered from the same kind of stiffness but the pacing breathed life into them. Fantasy novels just don't translate so well into 20-30 page comic books, I guess.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I thought the comic was decent, there just wasn't enough interest to keep it going unfortunately.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Apart from logen and Vitari I have literally no idea who all those characters are supposed to be. Is that the same guy who did cutesy drawings of GoT characters who are like massive rapists or torturers?

Curnden "I'm too old for this poo poo" Craw, Whirrun with the Father of Swords, the Dogman with his long nose and bow, one-eyed Shivers, Black Dow, Logen.

This one is Morveer and DaisyDay, Cosca, Friendly, Monza, Vitari, two-eyed Shivers.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 15, 2016

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
They're terrible is what they are.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hi i'm reading these books for mostly the first time right now. i read the first law trilogy a few years ago and stopped, and now im reading all of them. i like that jezal basically starts a war with the north because he was buddies with logen. well taht's my hot take, namaste.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VagueRant posted:

I dunno, I think a political chess game of wizards is one of the LEAST interesting parts of these character-led stories. Doesn't it work better as an unknowable factor permeating the background?

yo this for reals

its way more interesting as poo poo playing out in the background that you kinda sorta piece together after the fact than it could be just having a book with bayaz front and center because now you're just scrutinizing everything he does knowing it's part of his schemes

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Mowglis Haircut posted:

They're terrible is what they are.

drat, haters gonna hate I guess. I thought they were fun, also the George RR ones as well.

To each there own.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I'm not big on that cutesy style but I like it better than the impossibly bland one they used for the official First Law comics. Pretty much decided right away that I'm not going to spend money on something like this:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Lmao they look like they're all being played by the same actor in different wigs. Peter Sellers/Adam Sandler style.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Am I the only one who always saw Cosca as

?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mr Underhill posted:

?

not quite what i imagine but certainly closer than... whatever the gently caress is in that picture above.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really like the comic art, but I do agree with the thread at the time rallying against Logen looking too generic and handsome. There were some great posts about how it's almost a mini-reveal in The Blade Itself that he's not some sculpted lantern-jawed heroman, but a big ugly brute covered with scars and a lopsided head and a hosed up broken nose and etc.

edit: This depiction was more popular.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 15, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm like six chapters into The Heroes and Finree loving owns and I hope she is the main character of the second trilogy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like book one: Finree Owns

Book two: Finree Owns Harder

Book three: gently caress Yeah, Finree

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I don't know, I didn't like Finree nearly as much as Monza or Ferro. Though I'm glad she got away from Stranger-come-loving :aaa:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I thought Cracknut Whirrun was half-giant or am I completely wrong.

Also I still imagine Logan looking like dad Neir, but more scarred.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finree owns super hard because she hates everyone because they're idiots and doesn't give a poo poo

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr Underhill posted:

?

I picture Cosca as an older Batiatus.

Words fall from your mouth like poo poo from rear end.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Literally The Worst posted:

Finree owns super hard because she hates everyone because they're idiots and doesn't give a poo poo

its funny bc bremer dan gorst and finree both hate everyone but gorst does it in the gooniest way possible so it's awful when he does it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is it? He was easily my favorite character in Heroes.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

FordPRefectLL posted:

its funny bc bremer dan gorst and finree both hate everyone but gorst does it in the gooniest way possible so it's awful when he does it

Gorst wins because he hates himself, too.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

FordPRefectLL posted:

You take that blasphemy back, Gorst owns, I could read for days about him goonily crushing everyone under his boots.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i don't remember finree hating everyone., just thinking herself a bit superior. i thought she was a decent character. can't believe anyone likes ferro more than finree. ferro is aaaawwwwffuuulll.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Neurosis posted:

ferro is aaaawwwwffuuulll.

Silly pink.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's mostly self loathing that got out of control tho, dude is just super mad at himself for loving things up in the whorehouse and that gets directed out

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
actually that's a huge difference in characterization thinking about it

finree hates everyone ebcause she thinks they're stupid and should just get out of her way and manipulates them to get what she wants

gorst hates himself and that he backs down constantly and that he can't tell finree he wants to hit it and vents that by being a fuckin violent psychopath

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

yeah finree is a bit cold while gorst is an actual psychopath

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I enjoyed the battle pov that kept switching to the survivor of a skirmish. What with the fighters becoming more badass until they see this wide guy and think he's gonna be slow/easy. Except it's Gorst and he just wrecks poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I like that Bayaz keeps showing up with new weapons that nobody can understand

Even if cannons are nowhere near as OH poo poo as radiation

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yo The Heroes was super legit as a WAR IS HELL almost vietnam-esque story

Red Country is double super legit though what wth being a book about the wild west/gold rush but with swords and also Logen!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The scene towards the end when Glama Golden realizes how well and truly hosed he is is one of my favorites in the series.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ornamented Death posted:

The scene towards the end when Glama Golden realizes how well and truly hosed he is is one of my favorites in the series.

Big spoilers for said scene:

He stepped in, swinging with all his strength, and landed the father of all punches right on the point of Lamb’s jaw.

He watched the old man stumble, fists dangling, waiting for Lamb’s knees to buckle so he could spring on top of him and put an end to it.

But Lamb didn’t fall. He tottered back a pace or two into the Circle and stood, swaying, blood drooling from his open mouth and his face tipped into shadow. Then Golden caught something over the thunder of the crowd, soft and low but there was no mistaking it.

The old man was laughing.

Golden stood, chest heaving, legs weak, arms heavy from his efforts, and he felt a chill doubt wash over him because he wasn’t sure he could hit a man any harder than that.

‘Who are you?’ he roared, fists aching like he’d been beating a tree. Lamb gave a smile like an open grave, and stuck out his red tongue, and smeared blood from it across his cheek in long streaks. He held up his left fist and gently uncurled it so he looked at Golden, eyes wide and weeping wet like two black tar-pits, through the gap where his middle finger used to be.

The crowd had fallen eerily quiet, and Golden’s doubt turned to a sucking dread because he finally knew the old man’s name.

‘By the dead,’ he whispered, ‘it can’t be.’

But he knew it was. However fast, however strong, however fearsome you make yourself, there’s always someone faster, stronger, more fearsome, and the more you fight the sooner you’ll meet him. No one cheats the Great Leveller for ever and now Glama Golden felt the sweat turn cold on him, and the fire inside guttered out and left only ashes.

And he knew this would be his last fight indeed.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Yeah that scene did own.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
pretty sure everyone that has been a joe ab fan since the trilogy got hard (or moist) when they read that scene

we all knew it was b9 from the start, but getting to read about another character realizing who it is is a lot of fun

also the heroes is indisputably the best book because it has the most eccentrics and also the most badasses of any of his novels and if that ain't fun to you then idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm still downright fascinated by the way Red Country works on levels. The way I read that first chapter and as soon as I hit "you have to be realistic" my brain exploded and I had to read the entire first chapter AGAIN.

But then if you don't know the backstory, you can follow Shy's journey along and there's still a satisfying story for you. But for those of us that know, there's a whole different story and tension to everything.