Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

puns are nothing to laugh about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need the anime now because I need to hear Edgeworth say "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I liked the idea that even though you got Kristoph in 4-1, you still had to untangle the web he'd left behind, especially since he was still riding high on having ruined Zak, Nick, and the Mishams. But like a lot of things, it was undercut by Apollo having no real stake in the case despite the fact that he really should've, being Kristoph's pupil. It's bizarre that DD did more with that than AJ without even mentioning the guy by name.

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 15, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I choose to believe that Ema doesn't know what she's talking about and that Mia was attracted to Lana in the traditional sense.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm curious to see how the anime does the trials. Are they gonna show Nick pressing every witness? Because that's his trademark technique! A lot of the humor comes from Nick's thoughts as well

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Motto posted:

I liked the idea that even though you got Kristoph in 4-1, you still had to untangle the web he'd left behind, especially since he was still riding high on having ruined Zak, Nick, and the Mishams. But like a lot of things, it was undercut by Apollo having no real stake in the case despite the fact that he really should've, being Kristoph's pupil. It's bizarre that DD did more with that than AJ without even mentioning the guy by name.

Considering that Kristoph was a master defense attorney who was willing to cheat and fabricate evidence, AA4 should have had him defending himself in his own trial for what you get him charged with after 4-1 and getting acquitted through his bullshit so that 4-5 actually has more of an impact instead of just breaking his pride.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Today's session of ending 1-4 and beginning 1-5 has me further contemplating the subject of whether Phoenix lives at his office or not. Sometimes it feels like he does because it has a shower and a TV, but in 1-5, he asks why he even comes into the office anymore.

I know he lives there by the time it becomes the Wright Anything Agency, but before that is unclear.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

Sometimes it feels like he does because it has a shower and a TV, but in 1-5, he asks why he even comes into the office anymore.

I just assume he has a living space attached to the office and "coming into the office" just means going into that room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Did Mia live in the office when she worked there or did Phoenix always live there? I'd guess Mia had a really nice apartment because she was rich enough to drop a cool G on a lamp like it was nothing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How many of the Phoenix Wright mangas came over and how many were left in Japan?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Waffleman_ posted:

Did Mia live in the office when she worked there or did Phoenix always live there? I'd guess Mia had a really nice apartment because she was rich enough to drop a cool G on a lamp like it was nothing.

I bet it's mostly because Mia got her clients to pay her, whereas Phoneix just sighs and resigns himself to poverty when they say that they're broke.

Besides, it's not so bad. He could be making Gumshoe wages.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Geniasis posted:

I bet it's mostly because Mia got her clients to pay her, whereas Phoneix just sighs and resigns himself to poverty when they say that they're broke.

Besides, it's not so bad. He could be making Gumshoe wages.

Phoenix (and the rest of the team) obviously gets paid for their work, except for the few times where it's explicitly brought up as a joke that the client can't pay. How else do you think they keep feeding themselves? They also, not quite as obviously, are implied to take cases that are not shown, so they don't have literal month gaps between doing some work.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Was the 20 minute AA6 gameplay demo from back in September ever translated?

A bit of googling is leading me to say no, but I find that surprising...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Amppelix posted:

They also, not quite as obviously, are implied to take cases that are not shown, so they don't have literal month gaps between doing some work.

Many times, it is explicitly stated that Phoenix has not had work between cases.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Today's session of ending 1-4 and beginning 1-5 has me further contemplating the subject of whether Phoenix lives at his office or not. Sometimes it feels like he does because it has a shower and a TV, but in 1-5, he asks why he even comes into the office anymore.

I know he lives there by the time it becomes the Wright Anything Agency, but before that is unclear.

Also, a lot of law firms legitimately have showers and cots for lawyers to do some good old 18-hour days.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think the worst time for the office was AA1, where he definitely only took on those five cases since he talks about how he hasn't had work every case and nobody pays him til 1-3, but I assume Will Powers pays him a lot. Also after becoming the guy who defended Edgeworth 1-5 says requests were rolling in so he was probably safe from then on out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He explicitly said that he hadn't taken any of the offers between 1-4 and 1-5.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

He explicitly said that he hadn't taken any of the offers between 1-4 and 1-5.

From then on out meaning after 1-5 when he stopped feeling terrible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I got the impression he had a fair number of cases under his belt between 1-5 and 2-2 as well, given the way that Maggey talked about him in 2-1.

Also, here's a neat bit of trivia. Since 2-2 comes after 1-4 and 1-5 didn't originally exist, the original script for JFA (assuming Phoenix actually didn't take any cases between the first and second game) had Phoenix go to court and beat Franziska. And his preceding trial was the one where he beat her father.

I imagine that factors partially into why she's pissed enough to beat him unconscious. :v:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously Phoenix moonlights as a janitor, seeing as how he really likes keeping the office toilet in sparkling condition.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I recently beat 3-5 again, and the whole case is fantastic from top to bottom. The only problem I have is as soon as Dahlia is exposed, shouldn't have Nick realized that Maya was right there? Why bother keeping up the charade of "holy crap where's Maya where's Maya" when logically it was super obvious. Pearl had spoken to Nick just before the second part of the trial, and Misty was already dead. There's only one other spirit medium...

Other than that small plot hole, I loved 3-5, especially the feeling of holy poo poo when the big twist happens

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I recently beat 3-5 again, and the whole case is fantastic from top to bottom. The only problem I have is as soon as Dahlia is exposed, shouldn't have Nick realized that Maya was right there? Why bother keeping up the charade of "holy crap where's Maya where's Maya" when logically it was super obvious. Pearl had spoken to Nick just before the second part of the trial, and Misty was already dead. There's only one other spirit medium...

Other than that small plot hole, I loved 3-5, especially the feeling of holy poo poo when the big twist happens

Because they wanted the player to figure out that on their own. It was a slight sacrifice of realism for gameplay purposes and it works well because getting to work it out and make the reveal yourself is very satisfying.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Regy Rusty posted:

Because they wanted the player to figure out that on their own. It was a slight sacrifice of realism for gameplay purposes and it works well because getting to work it out and make the reveal yourself is very satisfying.

I suppose so, I did like the process so I shouldn't complain.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I mean, personally I was so caught up in all the crazy poo poo going on I wasn't even thinking about the larger mysteries at that time.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think at this point all I want aside from AA6 is an eShop re-release of AA4, so that one can have all the main series games on one console

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I want DGS!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/asia/japan-actor-sword-death/index.html

real life turnabout samurai???

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
RIP, Jack Hammer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Looks like we're going back to five strikes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That sucks because watching the HP bar fill up after solving a psyche-lock was the best thing ever.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Waffleman_ posted:

Aww, I'll miss those final showdowns where the Judge is all: "Okay Wright, point out the one piece of evidence that exposes the supermurderer as being the obviously evil Prime Minister of the United States. But you only get one shot!" [Entire health bar starts flashing]

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Technically there's nothing preventing them from doling out harsher penalties and taking away 2 or 3 badges a pop.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aww, I'll miss those final showdowns where the Judge is all: "Okay Wright, point out the one piece of evidence that exposes the supermurderer as being the obviously evil Prime Minister of the United States. But you only get one shot!" [Entire health bar starts flashing]

"I'll revoke all your badges this time, Wright! Why do you even have five of them anyway?"

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish the game would give unique responses for when you present your attorney's badge in court.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Pureauthor posted:

I wish the game would give unique responses for when you present your attorney's badge in court.

I wish Phoenix could present his locket so he could fully be a doting, overbearing father.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Suspicious Cook posted:

I wish Phoenix could present his locket so he could fully be a doting, overbearing father.

Maes Hughes: Ace Attorney

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Waffleman_ posted:

That seems... unnecessary? I mean, I realize your "health" is an empty threat and it only serves to create the illusion of tension, so at some point it doesn't matter whether you have strikes or a life bar (especially since the life bar usually depletes in 1/5 chunks anyway) but for some reason the meter just feels better to me. I never missed the strikes and I don't quite understand why they'd go back. I guess this could indicate they're rethinking the health system in some fundamental way but I kind of doubt it.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 18, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Maes Hughes: Ace Attorney

In another world this is how case 4-4 went

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Suspicious Cook posted:

"I have nothing to say about th-"
"What?! But look at how cute she is! And she's already so grown up! Can you imagine this cute little child is now a full grown child doing her own magic shows? I can't promise you tickets but you have HAVE to see her perform sometime, oh she makes me so proud I could just cry"

Gotta agree that the health bar is better, it just feels better when more than 1/5th is going to go down.

Also, I have now finished 5-3, okay case, nothing spectacular but still fun, specially the logic behind the last bit. That said
I get that not being able to graduate is a whole bad thing, but... these kids are all 18 year olds, and Hugh, so, uh... literal death row might be a little more concerning to 'em, y'know? Sure, Robin won't have to be a prosecutor like her parents want but she'd also be a condemned murderer and i think they'd like that even less. I hope Apollo winds up with Juniper if only for his reaction when he realizes Gavin accidentally became his wingman that night, likewise for Gavin's reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
apollo will end up with ema like in my fanfic

juniper will end up with the trash heap

• Locked thread