Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-15/treasurer-hints-at-negative-gearing-crackdown/7167346

There really isn't any detail on what he thinks is excessive or what he wants to do about it. But I still feel like it's a bizarro world type of day seeing that headline, even if it's likely to be hollow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I suppose they'll try and find a way to fiddle with NG a bit without costing them or their mates too much.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imagine if mum and dad investors had to put their capital to something useful instead of becoming rent-seeking parasites, the horror

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

imagine if mum and dad investors had to put their capital to something useful instead of becoming rent-seeking parasites, the horror

That's the thing, I can imagine there might be quite a spike in economic activity if housing were made less attractive as an investment. People are going to buy it anyway because we like having a roof over our heads and if the prices come down the country would be awash with money looking for a home.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

The news is that he's doing it now, it's all election gearing. When is the latest the election can happen?

14/01/2017 -this House expires on 11 November, then 10 days top issue writs, 27 days for nominations, and 31 days until polling Saturday, but it won't be that late.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Now instead of buying a house they can invest in a company that buys houses.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Gorbash posted:

14/01/2017 -this House expires on 11 November, then 10 days top issue writs, 27 days for nominations, and 31 days until polling Saturday, but it won't be that late.

Just with all the stuff the Libs are doing to get their house in order for an election, I was wondering if it's timely for the expected election date, or if they are going for something early.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
There's going to be an election before the budget. The libs want to get elected again so that they'll have a "mandate" to "reform" the economy i.e. GST increases.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

tithin posted:

That Tim Wilson resigning thing isn't news is it? I remember reading something last week from here that he was going to do it, and a tweet from a (female?) politician that it was time to shut down the human rights commission?

I thought he hadn't officially confirmed he was stepping down to stand for Liberal pre-selection (though it had definitely been rumoured).

thatfatkid posted:

There's going to be an election before the budget. The libs want to get elected again so that they'll have a "mandate" to "reform" the economy i.e. GST increases.
Yes, the Coalition are going to go to an election early (which people hate), that will either be Reps only (which will force another election later, which will cost them seats and money) or a DD (which will give them a more volatile Senate), without the benefit of an election budget because

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Early election? The election is due this year, and both parties are clearly gearing up for an election right now.

The libs have a lead in the polls right now, but the trend is showing the ALP are gradually gaining ground against them. The sooner the election is for the libs the better for them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Early election? The election is due this year, and both parties are clearly gearing up for an election right now.
Sure, because they're expecting an election in September or October. An election in the next couple of months is still early (which is why it'd be Reps only or a DD).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought he hadn't officially confirmed he was stepping down to stand for Liberal pre-selection (though it had definitely been rumoured).

Yes, the Coalition are going to go to an election early (which people hate), that will either be Reps only (which will force another election later, which will cost them seats and money) or a DD (which will give them a more volatile Senate), without the benefit of an election budget because

The LNP has a fuckload of money to spare though

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

The LNP has a fuckload of money to spare though

Weren't they near broke a couple of years ago?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but then they got in the pocket of big coal. I think the LNP got triple the donations of everyone else in the previous 2 elections.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Here's a more timeline. They deliver a budget in May, with a mix of (election-year) handouts and proposals designed to be blocked to take into an election as a policy manifesto / evidence of Labor's intransigence. This takes a little while, which fills in the June sitting session. MPs return home for July (to prepare for the election), and then in late July Turnbull announces the election will be held in the first week of September, roughly 3 years after the last one.

Gorbash posted:

Weren't they near broke a couple of years ago?
Yeah, elections are expensive, and regardless of how much money they'd have they'd prefer to throw everything at one rather than budget for two in quick succession.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AllanJClarke/status/699034965963460608

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Rough day for the ice industry. They should have one of those fuel-watch style websites for ice so you can see what kind of impact these seizures actually have.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Please step this way Mr Jones, don't mind Mr. Latham over there, we'll just get you strapped into your spacesuit and seat. Hope you brought your sunscreen, ho ho ho.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also he said that in response to a listener complaining about a minute's silence at an indigenous AFL match.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I've met people my age in the great city of Brisbane who stand proud and state "the stolen generation is a myth designed by the left to instill white guilt."

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Anidav posted:

I've met people my age in the great city of Brisbane who stand proud and state "the stolen generation is a myth designed by the left to instill white guilt."

This doesn't surprise me at all :(

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Anidav posted:

They're right

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I have this one guy who attributes everything bad to the jews so hey did you notice we only started talking about the stolen generation after WWII? *was born in 92 and thinks he was an expert in what actually happened post WWII*

:tinfoil:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D

M
A
S
T
E
R

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I have this one guy who attributes everything bad to the jews so hey did you notice we only started talking about the stolen generation after WWII? *was born in 92 and thinks he was an expert in what actually happened post WWII*

:tinfoil:

Did you notice we only started talking about 9/11 after world war 2? Makes u think.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hooman posted:

W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I
Z
A
R
D

M
A
S
T
E
R

This needs to go diagonally too

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Cartoon posted:

aka. Our indigenous reconciliation strategy?

May I suggest an alternative to the apparently problematic slogans?

Ditch the Rich

You're Welcome.

-/-

Arsetralian don't click http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...a41cb427712ef93

So she's doubling down on what appears to be a technicality. I can not see this ending well for her.

-/-

OK so we had the Royal Commission into Trade Union corruption which even if it was actually meant to dig dirt on Labor politicians pretty much completely failed to deliver. How many Federal Labor parliamentarians are currently under police investigation? My rough tally is zero. Compare that to the LNP with three cabinet ministers (Brough, Pyne and Roy ) currently under investigation and a recently resigned minister looking to face criminal charges. Jamie Briggs only resigned a couple of months ago. Also lol at Arthur Sinodinos claiming he did no wrong because he isn't actually in Goulburn Jail. If ever their was a royal commission needed into corrupt and criminal behaviour it isn't the ALP connections to trade unions it's the LNP and their dodgey mates.
Don't touch the poop.

Sometimes the post of the pooper is all the advertisement of their idiocy needed. This is one of those times.

The front page of the Telegraph today says that in that tape Cunneen was talking to the truckie, which somehow explains why she said the things she did about faking chest pains. Or something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Why blame white conquerors when you can blame Zionists!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
queue jumping zionists team up with leftist jihadis for brazen attack on mom and pop mining companies

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Negligent posted:

MT doesn't even fit the dictionary definition of fop, before you even go on to consider the colloquial.

You're dumb and wrong, and being a big babby about being called out on it.

Yes and of course when we were all told when JuLIAR was in power that we needed to "Ditch the Witch" well of course, you see, ah, well, JuLIAR was practicing black magic and therefore literally fit the dictionary definition of a witch. I even saw her cavorting with Satan on a hilltop.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

xPanda posted:

The front page of the Telegraph today says that in that tape Cunneen was talking to the truckie, which somehow explains why she said the things she did about faking chest pains. Or something.
I couldn't really parse the front page of the Tele. At this point she's probably going to have to resign due to public sentiment and if she could get a fair trial for attempting to pervert the course of justice she'd probably go down for it despite the supposed reluctance to prosecute. Perhaps most oddly, had the son's girlfriend done a roadside it looks like she would have blown 0.00 anyway. Much ado about nothing + Another fine mess.

In the Tele online coverage the most unbelievable part is where F. Nile claims he can tell when someone is joking. The rest is just a blur of unconnected details.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

queue jumping zionists team up with leftist jihadis for brazen attack on mom and pop mining companies
who are doing it tough due to Labor waste and mismanagement.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Yes and of course when we were all told when JuLIAR was in power that we needed to "Ditch the Witch" well of course, you see, ah, well, JuLIAR was practicing black magic and therefore literally fit the dictionary definition of a witch. I even saw her cavorting with Satan on a hilltop.

You're a hard person to share a position with sometimes BB, this and the last thing you wrote were total nonsense. He's just flat out wrong about the word and instead you're making weird excuses to justify using an offensive term (which it isn't).

e: also Cartoon is right, best not to dig up old poop

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 15, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Should really be 'bop the fop'. You could make an app and get all that sweet sweet ad revenue.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
reprimandy the dandy

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Shandy the dandy? Shake to win!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

I couldn't really parse the front page of the Tele. At this point she's probably going to have to resign due to public sentiment and if she could get a fair trial for attempting to pervert the course of justice she'd probably go down for it despite the supposed reluctance to prosecute. Perhaps most oddly, had the son's girlfriend done a roadside it looks like she would have blown 0.00 anyway. Much ado about nothing + Another fine mess.

In the Tele online coverage the most unbelievable part is where F. Nile claims he can tell when someone is joking. The rest is just a blur of unconnected details.
who are doing it tough due to Labor waste and mismanagement.

I think the lesson about this is: Don't attempt to pervert the course of justice. Which it seems is pretty clearly what she was doing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

reprimandy the dandy

Trough the toff.

Bat the aristocrat.

Defeat the elite.

Dud the Blue Blood.

EDIT: Double post the most.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

Trough the toff.

Bat the aristocrat.

Defeat the elite.

Dud the Blue Blood.

shark the oligarch

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

Trough the toff.

Bat the aristocrat.

Defeat the elite.

Dud the Blue Blood.

Off the Toff

but that may send a...slightly different message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011