Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

computer parts posted:

If you actually look at the breakdown of what's being spent in rural areas, the vast majority is on roads. This is something that rural people use, but so do lots of other people.

Since it's now dominated most of the last page, can we have a source for this please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Nothing saying Obama can't nominate himself, right?

I mean, it'd never get past the Senate, but think of the comedy value!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Any type of stunt nomination would be a very good way to legitimize the GOP's stonewalling. The most wily strategic choice would be to select someone they'll look foolish fighting against.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Any type of stunt nomination would be a very good way to legitimize the GOP's stonewalling. The most wily strategic choice would be to select someone they'll look foolish fighting against.

Judge Reinhold!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

Since it's now dominated most of the last page, can we have a source for this please?

Here are the costs per mile for new construction and repavement, by type of road (urban, rural, etc).

https://www.arkansashighways.com/roadway_design_division/Cost%20per%20Mile%20(JULY%202012).pdf

That's for Arkansas specifically but the other numbers I'm finding are roughly equivalent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NAT-T Ice posted:

Nothing saying Obama can't nominate himself, right?

I mean, it'd never get past the Senate, but think of the comedy value!
Him currently serving in the Executive is why he cannot nominate himself, iirc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bobby Digital posted:

Judge Dredd!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Everyone who doesn't already think the GOP is evil is rooting for them to stonewall. I think he should make ridiculous nominations to make Hillary's eventual nominees look better by comparison.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Him currently serving in the Executive is why he cannot nominate himself, iirc.

No that just prevents him from serving in the legislature. As far as I know, there are no constitutional restrictions on who can be a supreme court justice. If you are nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate you are now a justice, no other requirements necessary

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if Ted Cruz's Canadian rear end can run for president, Obama can be a justice just sayin

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Isn't it just as well that the Republicans keep filibustering this seat, as opposed to a "moderate" like Sri Srinivasan getting it? If Senate republicans are too stupid to recognize they won't get a better deal later, who cares?

Because we won't get a better deal later. They'll filibuster a democratic president's nominations, democrats will wring their hands about the nuclear option and dither until 2018 when they lose the Senate again, whine and cavail until they also lose the presidency in 2020, and by then the court'll be down to 6 people. Day one the Republican president nominates three Junior Scalias, and they all pass on a 58-42 party line vote, because filibustering it wouldn't be Bipartisan.

It's not pessimism, it's pattern recognition! :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mukaikubo posted:

Because we won't get a better deal later. They'll filibuster a democratic president's nominations, democrats will wring their hands about the nuclear option and dither until 2018 when they lose the Senate again, whine and cavail until they also lose the presidency in 2020, and by then the court'll be down to 6 people. Day one the Republican president nominates three Junior Scalias, and they all pass on a 58-42 party line vote, because filibustering it wouldn't be Bipartisan.

It's not pessimism, it's pattern recognition! :v:

You probably need therapy if you think any of that is a realistic scenario.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
There are no constitutional prohibitions regarding who may serve on the Supreme Court.

Currently serving in an executive or legislative branch position is not a basis for disqualification, though obviously upon confirmation of the judicial nomination the newly anointed Justice would resign the non-judicial position for both practical and separation-of-powers purposes.

Obama is not going to nominate Obama because it's a political nonstarter and nets Democrats nothing, politically; not because it's unconstitutional or whatever.

Pretty sure Obama doesn't want to be a SC Justice anyways, so it's an even more pointless hypothetical.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Obama also isn't really qualified. He's never been a federal judge or argued before SCOTUS.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I seem to recall hearing that Michelle absolutely hates living in DC, and they both want out as soon as his term's over. So, unlikely to seek or accept a lifetime nomination that sticks the family there.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 15, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Obama also isn't really qualified. He's never been a federal judge or argued before SCOTUS.
He was, however, a Constitutional law professor. And...President?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

computer parts posted:

Here are the costs per mile for new construction and repavement, by type of road (urban, rural, etc).

https://www.arkansashighways.com/roadway_design_division/Cost%20per%20Mile%20(JULY%202012).pdf

That's for Arkansas specifically but the other numbers I'm finding are roughly equivalent.

Road construction costs per mile in no way supports the claim that:

quote:

If you actually look at the breakdown of what's being spent in rural areas, the vast majority is on roads.

In the context of city dwellers subsidizing rural districts. Emphasis mine.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Though the GOP ignoring Kennedy's own appointment is worth it for moments like last night's debate where the moderator basically shamed Cruz in to silence.

From a couple pages ago, but might someone have a link handy?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

Road construction costs per mile in no way supports the claim that:

In the context of city dwellers subsidizing rural districts. Emphasis mine.

Roads are expensive. There's lots of roads in rural areas. Connect the dots.

I'll even give you a leg up, since you're having trouble. In 2013, there were an estimated ~6 million lane-miles in rural areas (versus ~2.6 million in urban* areas):

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_01_06.html

*More likely Urban and Suburban areas, since those are commonly linked together.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 15, 2016

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

computer parts posted:

Roads are expensive. There's lots of roads in rural areas. Connect the dots. ]

That's not how you support a claim with evidence. Our intuitions are different here. Mine is that subsidies from urban to rural states goes mostly through OASDI, Medicare, SNAP, and the occasional military base. And I could just as easily tell you to connect the dots, but that wouldn't really be supporting my intuition with evidence either. See, our intuitions are different, and without anything else, there's no reason to believe your naked assertion over mine.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chuu posted:

That is the best burn I've seen in my life. No contest.

Please, Thomas has gotten better burns in on Scalia. In actual court opinions, even.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

That's not how you support a claim with evidence. Our intuitions are different here. Mine is that subsidies from urban to rural states goes mostly through OASDI, Medicare, SNAP, and the occasional military base.

Oh good, you'll be glad to provide funding reports on those then.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perhaps now be a good point to close this thread and make a new one for 2016? There are a few more cases outstanding from 2015 of course but I have a feeling those aren't going to be the major topic of discussion for the year.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

computer parts posted:

Oh good, you'll be glad to provide funding reports on those then.

Well, you were the one making a claim. It's on you to back it up.

But ok, let's take your example Arkansas from the Pew Foundation report on Federal spending, Table 1, Page 6. Transfer payments (broken into the first two columns) totaled just over $20B out of a total of $28B. Since roads are but one part of "everything else" they are substantially less than "most" federal spending.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Josh Lyman posted:

Neither of these things are required to be on the SCOTUS.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ain't no rule says a dog can't play soccer.
e: that is to say, there's a difference between constitutionally eligible and qualified

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hypothetically, I could be nominated. There's no actual requirements, to my knowledge.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

awesmoe posted:

e: that is to say, there's a difference between constitutionally eligible and qualified

By that standard, a large number of previous justices were "unqualified."

http://supreme.findlaw.com/supreme_court/justices/nopriorexp.html

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

awesmoe posted:

I agree, there's only one Obama fit for the challenge

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think Obama is going to throw the idea of experience and qualifications out the window just because he's allowed to, especially not when his nominee will face the most intense and public scrutiny in recent memory.

Pulling any cutesy poo poo here is a surefire way to vindicate every Republican talking about how his nominee should be rejected sight unseen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

Well, you were the one making a claim. It's on you to back it up.

But ok, let's take your example Arkansas from the Pew Foundation report on Federal spending, Table 1, Page 6. Transfer payments (broken into the first two columns) totaled just over $20B out of a total of $28B. Since roads are but one part of "everything else" they are substantially less than "most" federal spending.

Note that the original claim was relating to rural areas, not rural states.

~20% of the country lives in rural areas. 16% of those people are 65 and older, versus 13% for the nation at large (via http://www.ruralhome.org/storage/documents/ts2010/ts-report/ts10_rural_people.pdf , pages 11 & 17). This means that most retirement benefits are still going to urban areas, because more old people live in urban areas.

In other words, just because a lot of benefits go to Arkansas doesn't really matter that much because Arkansas still has lots of urban population.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

By that standard, a large number of previous justices were "unqualified."

http://supreme.findlaw.com/supreme_court/justices/nopriorexp.html
Interesting, that's much more historically than I expected (~30%). Much less common in the last 40 years though (2 out of 14).

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

computer parts posted:

~20% of the country lives in rural areas. 16% of those people are 65 and older, versus 13% for the nation at large (via http://www.ruralhome.org/storage/documents/ts2010/ts-report/ts10_rural_people.pdf , pages 11 & 17). This means that most retirement benefits are still going to urban areas, because more old people live in urban areas.

In other words, just because a lot of benefits go to Arkansas doesn't really matter that much because Arkansas still has lots of urban population.

This is the best I can find with about five minutes worth of Googling.

It's from 1985 though, and only covers the federal government. See figure 1 and table 1 on the second page.

There's also this, but it's data is from 1980, and only covers federal spending, again. Check page nine of the PDF (table 3) - this one has a breakdown with Infrastructure as one of the categories.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I seem to recall hearing that Michelle absolutely hates living in DC, and they both want out as soon as his term's over.

They're not going to pull Sasha out of her high school. But after that, yeah.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

:drat:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

It's about as sick of a burn as you can get while being completely wrong about Thomas.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

computer parts posted:

go pull a scalia you jabronie

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I'm kind of sorry for opening this can of worms because I can't imagine it ending well, but I think it's a legit case of "liberal racism" that people constantly accuse Thomas of being some kind of incompetent toady for Scalia. Like a weird attempt to defuse the difficulty of his being a black conservative by just saying he's a token idiot and a mere unthinking servant of a white man.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

moebius2778 posted:

There's also this, but it's data is from 1980, and only covers federal spending, again. Check page nine of the PDF (table 3) - this one has a breakdown with Infrastructure as one of the categories.

That chart is strange, because if I'm reading it correctly it does say "income transfers" are higher for non-metro/rural areas versus metro/urban areas ($844 per capita in rural areas versus $831 in urban areas), but it says that overall metro areas still receive a higher per-capita amount of funding than non-metro areas ($1,490 per capita versus $1,936). In other words, urban areas got more money per capita than rural areas did.

I suppose a possible explanation is that we weren't quite as concentrated 35 years ago versus today, but I can't imagine the shift would be that large.

I guess the other factor to make that chart make sense with the common logic re: blue states giving more than they get is that urban areas in red states require much more federal dollars than urban areas in blue states, due to some other confounding factor (like state programs not picking up the slack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cheekio posted:

Predicting it now- Obama sues Congress for not upholding a timely Sup Com process.

More likely: Obama agrees to congress's request to allow the American people to weigh in and forgoes nominating anyone, leaving it to his successor: congress sues Obama for neglecting his article 2 constitutional duty to appoint a justice, which proves he's a dictator stealing our freedoms