Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The saddest thing to me (as someone who hasn't watched any of the three movies so I could be waaaay off) is that a movie from the perspective of villains would be, I think, a valuable chance to teach kids about morality and how it's not straightforward but nope, Adventures of the Marketable Mascot. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

AlphaKretin posted:

The saddest thing to me (as someone who hasn't watched any of the three movies so I could be waaaay off) is that a movie from the perspective of villains would be, I think, a valuable chance to teach kids about morality and how it's not straightforward but nope, Adventures of the Marketable Mascot. :eng99:
You're way off (excepting the Minions movie).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm simultaneously glad to hear it and even more annoyed at the minion-centric marketing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AlphaKretin posted:

The first movie was actually pretty entertaining and the minions weren't the major characters. They spent most of the movie not being seen and were, you know, minions. If you haven't seen Despicable Me I recommend watching at least the first one; it's pretty funny if you dig silliness and slapstick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Megamind was the superior super villain movie

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sleeveless posted:

I can't buy personal hygeine products unless they're explicitly labeled as for men and an unthreatening manly color like black or camo, otherwise I might as well be suckin' dicks on the golden gate bridge!

http://www.dudeproducts.com/

Jesus, that reads like a parody.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/02/10/my-little-pony-guardians-of-harmony-exclusive/80103638/

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

AlphaKretin posted:

The mascot marketing didn't start til after the first movie became a hit, and while they were a key part of the second film, they still weren't the central characters. What the films are actually about surprisingly, is family, and regardless of how you make it. The first film's plot has the villain adopt three sisters as part of a scheme, and then suddenly realize like halfway through "crap, these girls aren't just props, I'm a father now!" They're much better family movies than you expect them to be. Then the Minions spin-off is exactly the layer of silly pap it looks like.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I saw a (rare) Opel Tigra today and it reminded me of the terrible commercial for it I used to see when it was new - the TwinTop variant is the 2004 successor of the original Tigra line after a three-year break in production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYyRveeXSp0

I still vividly remember this because I immediately thought "sure, I want to (eventually, I was 14) drive the same car as a moron who is incapable of eating and not pissing onto other people". And I have always liked Opels.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
This is one of the worst things I saw in this thread. How can spraying urine over the walls (and people next to you) sell any product, let alone a car?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Malaver posted:

This is one of the worst things I saw in this thread. How can spraying urine over the walls (and people next to you) sell any product, let alone a car?

Maybe spraying piss everywhere means something different in Germany.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Krispy Kareem posted:

Maybe spraying piss everywhere means something different in Germany.
Nein

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Nitrox posted:

What is so special about the current minions? Other than people are weirdly obsessed with em, according to terrible tattoo thread.
Hard to say.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Grey Fox posted:

Hard to say.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Could you explain the dumb move in marketing for those of us not intimately familiar with cartoon ponies? Thanks

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The first movie was actually pretty entertaining and the minions weren't the major characters. They spent most of the movie not being seen and were, you know, minions. If you haven't seen Despicable Me I recommend watching at least the first one; it's pretty funny if you dig silliness and slapstick.
I only watched the first movie way back when, and it was fairly nice, albeit forgettable. Did they go downhill from there?

AlphaKretin posted:

... Adventures of the Marketable Mascot.
Ha

Nitrox has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Feb 15, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nitrox posted:

Could you explain the dumb move in marketing for those of us not intimately familiar with cartoon ponies? Thanks

People were talking about how stupid gendered marketing is and then someone posted an article about marketing a girls toyline to boys, what could it mean???

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Nitrox posted:

What is so special about the current minions? Other than people are weirdly obsessed with em, according to terrible tattoo thread.

Minions are what Garfield was 20 years ago, and what that rabbit character that was everywhere 10 years ago. Just current cute thing that can be combined with sarcastic sayings to sell lots of poo poo. (Speaking of which, is that rabbit thing still around? If you shopped at Spencer's/hot topic at all in the 00s you know the one...)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Happy Tree Friends? I never watched it, but I think that is what you are talking about.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think they mean Happy Bunny.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:shrug:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ugh Rabbids. Bastards hijacked the Rayman series for like a decade.

For content, I was in a public toilet in a mall recently and they were piping in ads over the stereo. There's a time and place, and while making GBS threads is neither! :argh:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
So, I watch a certain show on the Internet, and I dont mind getting interrupted by adds every once in awhile. Just like watching TV twenty years ago, I just go do a chore for two minutes while I wait. But lately the ads have either been excruciatingly loud or they crash the video such that I never actually see the add nor can I continue the show I was watching. So guess who finally installed Adblock? Me. I did. Now I'm not seeing any ads ever. So good job assholes.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

For content, I was in a public toilet in a mall recently and they were piping in ads over the stereo. There's a time and place, and while making GBS threads is neither! :argh:

And what? Just not market to you while you're on the shitter? Motherfucker do you think you're entitled to your time? Your first responsibility as a human being is being the best consumer you can possibly be. It's the future, and you're having a dream. In the dream you're looking at a waterfall. The waterfall is made out of Red Bull brand energy drink. You wake up feeling great. Your bathroom mirror is already checking #RedBullWaterfall. An endless stream of people from all over the world enjoying top-tier brand engagement. Such a great dream! Plus you get 12 extra BullPoints for just having it.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine an hand-crafted, personal, premium piece of footwear stomping on a human face - for $6 a month

naah but it's fun bein all cynical

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bast Relief posted:

So, I watch a certain show on the Internet, and I dont mind getting interrupted by adds every once in awhile. Just like watching TV twenty years ago, I just go do a chore for two minutes while I wait. But lately the ads have either been excruciatingly loud or they crash the video such that I never actually see the add nor can I continue the show I was watching. So guess who finally installed Adblock? Me. I did. Now I'm not seeing any ads ever. So good job assholes.
Get rid of the adblock asap and install Ublock Origin. It's the original and the best. Adblock is borderline malicious at this point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use UBlock Origin now and don't notice any difference with Adblock. It appears to do the same thing.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

444-4444!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6koCAXFb63M

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I use UBlock Origin now and don't notice any difference with Adblock. It appears to do the same thing.

I promise you two things: 1. Your pages are loading quicker (it makes a difference for those of us in the shiternet parts of the world) because UBlock Origin does things in a non-stupid way, and 2. You're getting less ad leak than folks on Adblock. Adblock has a whitelist that companies can pay to join. UBlock doesn't.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that Adblock is different than Adblock Plus and the latter's the one that actively courts companies to toss money at them to get whitelisted.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Somfin posted:

I promise you two things: 1. Your pages are loading quicker (it makes a difference for those of us in the shiternet parts of the world) because UBlock Origin does things in a non-stupid way, and 2. You're getting less ad leak than folks on Adblock. Adblock has a whitelist that companies can pay to join. UBlock doesn't.

I still get the pop up on some pages forcing me to log in before reading the site like LivingSocial. Any way to get rid of those?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

I still get the pop up on some pages forcing me to log in before reading the site like LivingSocial. Any way to get rid of those?

With UBlock you can manually block arbitrary screen elements.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

AtomD posted:

And what? Just not market to you while you're on the shitter? Motherfucker do you think you're entitled to your time? Your first responsibility as a human being is being the best consumer you can possibly be. It's the future, and you're having a dream. In the dream you're looking at a waterfall. The waterfall is made out of Red Bull brand energy drink. You wake up feeling great. Your bathroom mirror is already checking #RedBullWaterfall. An endless stream of people from all over the world enjoying top-tier brand engagement. Such a great dream! Plus you get 12 extra BullPoints for just having it.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine an hand-crafted, personal, premium piece of footwear stomping on a human face - for $6 a month

naah but it's fun bein all cynical

This post made me laugh while waiting for surgery thank you good person

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Somfin posted:

With UBlock you can manually block arbitrary screen elements.

Insanely helpful for aggrogator banners and homestuck and pony avatars :toot:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I installed an adblocking thingy. I am technologically illiterate at this point so it's pretty amazing that I went through the effort at all. I don't think I actually installed THE Adblock. I just wanted to make the point that I finally installed something because ads are that obnoxious and it seems like a self defeating tactic for marketers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bast Relief posted:

I installed an adblocking thingy. I am technologically illiterate at this point so it's pretty amazing that I went through the effort at all. I don't think I actually installed THE Adblock. I just wanted to make the point that I finally installed something because ads are that obnoxious and it seems like a self defeating tactic for marketers.

Seems all the news sites that I view on my Android phone love full page pop-up adverts that block the website until the advert eventually loads. With a tiny 'close' button that usually results in accidentally clicking the advert instead of closing it.

Do these guys have no memory of the reputation of pop ups in the 2000s?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's why I don't read any articles on sites anymore. I just use Pocket to save everything to read later. It removes all the ads.

Even Apple put in the simple reader into Safari that removes the extra crap on sites.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love those SwolePT ads.

"YOU'RE A PATHETIC FAT loving GOON, GIVE ME A LOT OF MONEY SO I CAN CHAT WITH YOU OVER AIM, YOU'RE SO loving FAT AND DISGUSTING, I KNOW HOW TO HELP YOU, GOD YOU MAKE ME SICK."

:allears:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Insanely helpful for aggrogator banners and homestuck and pony avatars :toot:

And full-screen ads and blockers! If someone tries to stop you from reading a site, you can just say 'gently caress off with that poo poo' and block the whole screen element. It's awesome.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Somfin posted:

And full-screen ads and blockers! If someone tries to stop you from reading a site, you can just say 'gently caress off with that poo poo' and block the whole screen element. It's awesome.

This is my number one use for uBlock, nuking 'SUBSCRIBE' full-page blocking things. That, and removing all the social button garbage from everything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm scared my ad blocker/malware eliminating software is just some Russian nested dolls of malware themselves :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If you're truly paranoid you can use domain-based blocking for the biggest offenders at your router. Obviously not perfect, but it probably takes care of about 80% without software