Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
welp i guess microchip bought atmel

hope this doesnt mean microchip execs decide to kill avr because gently caress pics, they're so so lovely and so are all the tools

then again i havent touched microcontrollers in like a decade so what do i care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

welp i guess microchip bought atmel

gently caress

first energymicro gets bought by silabs now this

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
can i have like 1 day where a vendor doesn't get bought

been hearing "lifetime buy" way too often

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also intel is buying altera apparently

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

can i have like 1 day where a vendor doesn't get bought

been hearing "lifetime buy" way too often

just buy everything from ti, they can't be bought by anyone other than what intel? :v:

Bloody posted:

huh

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
re: microchip buying atmel, i'd be shocked if the avr lines went away. if anything there will be a lot more of them. microchip loves to make a billion nearly-identical half functioning parts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Barnyard Protein posted:

half functioning parts.

this is the concern

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i don't have an inside knowledge, but my hunch is that AVRs and their tooling will stay seperate from microchip parts and tooling for a very long time. the main thing that will jeopardize the avr's future is too many atmel employees quitting after they get their paycut and their window offices replaced with 4 grey cube walls.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hobbesmaster posted:

this is the concern

errata: half the peripherals are broken
workaround: don't use those peripherals

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

i don't have an inside knowledge, but my hunch is that AVRs and their tooling will stay seperate from microchip parts and tooling for a very long time. the main thing that will jeopardize the avr's future is too many atmel employees quitting after they get their paycut and their window offices replaced with 4 grey cube walls.

they get cube walls?! dang t hat's a step up from this open plan bullshit

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

thought that happened already? there was that other one they bought ten years ago that was just for onshoring highend parts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

thought that happened already? there was that other one they bought ten years ago that was just for onshoring highend parts

oh not sure the news on it seems oddly scarce

oh wikipedia says the sale finished 12/28/2015 so that's that

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Sweevo posted:

errata: half the peripherals are broken
workaround: don't use those peripherals

and thats not even all the peripherals and features that were so broken that they got removed from the datasheet! pre-Si verification and validation is apparently impossible?? :mad:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Barnyard Protein posted:

and thats not even all the peripherals and features that were so broken that they got removed from the datasheet! pre-Si verification and validation is apparently impossible?? :mad:

the greatest experience i ever had along these lines was the then-motorola mpc8260, which was a SoC before the acronym became popular. it was basically "toss a powerpc 603e core, memory controller, and a shitload of telecom peripherals into a blender".

during the time i was designing a compactpci board based on the 8260, motorola decided its already-documented-in-the-printed-user-manual pci implementation was just too buggy. pci became an un-feature, and they told us that no they had no plans to fix it in a spin so just forget about it. fortunately for us we didnt really need to communicate over the pci backplane (the card was cpci just because that was a standard form factor), but if we did we would've been way hosed

aside from that it was a hilariously complicated chip and iirc had these weird io/dma coprocessors that were a nightmare to figure out how they worked because everything was documented in a super obtuse way. i was making GBS threads bricks the whole time i worked on that project because even just figuring out which combos of peripherals were possible to use together simultaneously was a nightmarish process involving awful excel spreadsheets supplied by motorola. (this was because it had way more peripherals than it had pins available and the connectivity between peripherals and pins was far from a crossbar switch and i also seem to remember something about internal bandwidth limits for the io coprocessors that you had to plan around)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
there are a number of barriers to getting quality information to a customer. the biggest two in my experience have been process and personnel. the process requires all technical writing to pass through one of two people, who basically have no oversight or accountability. i've been barred from putting useful information into a manual by the framemaker kangaroo-king.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bump lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i wish i had time to gently caress around with my optical drive idea thing but grad school is killing me

i'm learning shitloads about dsp though -- signals are fun

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
yeah dsp is awesome. what area of dsp are you interested in? i'm trying to learn it on my own, focusing on fast algorithm implementation. i wish i were in a position to go back to grad school full time, i'd do dsp.

e: this is the book i'm working through right now http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Algorithms-Digital-Signal-Processing/dp/0201101556. its focusing on fast convolution algorithms, and its awesome. however its 31 years old and i have no clue if the info is even relevant any more. it'd be nice to have a set of experts at my disposal that are obligated to entertain my questions and ideas

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 11, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

post ITT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i need a digital oscilloscope, i think. i'm trying to show signals to a class of 20 people and having them look at the four inch crt at the front of the class is just not working out. nothing complicated, just the kind of things that are relevant to an arduino

can something like a rigol ds1054z output video to an external monitor of some kind?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

doesnt look like that one can specifically, but there's numerous USB scopes these days that definitely can

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
how about a camera/smartphone pointed at the scope with hdmi out?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not sure how well a video camera would show a scope trace. i've thought about it, though

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

i need a digital oscilloscope, i think. i'm trying to show signals to a class of 20 people and having them look at the four inch crt at the front of the class is just not working out. nothing complicated, just the kind of things that are relevant to an arduino

can something like a rigol ds1054z output video to an external monitor of some kind?

i have a ds1052e and you can plug it in with usb and look at waveforms using the software. don't remember if it's real-time (been a while), but i can check when i get home

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

MancXVI posted:

i have a ds1052e and you can plug it in with usb and look at waveforms using the software. don't remember if it's real-time (been a while), but i can check when i get home

update re: rigol ds1052e. if you can jack your laptop into a display of some sort then this will totally work. the live view updates about once a second but that should be enough, and you can get higher quality captures by hitting a button somewhere. the ds1054z uses the same software so this is (hopefully) representative of how that experience will be

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac__WxROA10&t=3777s
Skip to 1h03m

Switched DC-DC power supplies completely (like, even the capacitance) on-die. Basically magic

HermanCain
Aug 2, 2013
i've recently rolled into a PLC programming job in heavy industries, after making apps for phones.

pros: you can be "pretty sure" that once it runs, it will run for 20 years and never crash
cons: ladder logic is almost worse than assembly

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
what is the development process like for a PLC? schematic entry?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Barnyard Protein posted:

what is the development process like for a PLC? schematic entry?

you fire up rockwell's thingy and write the ladder logic and then put it onto the plc and it runs forever

its kinda gui driven at start, like you add rungs going down a literal ladder

e: flip thru this lol

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1747-rm001_-en-p.pdf

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 15, 2016

HermanCain
Aug 2, 2013
the original idea of ladder logic was to allow the on-site mechanics to easily understand what was going on, so they wouldn't need extra training and such.
but now the machines are becoming so large and complex that it would take month to understand it anyway, making it pretty pointless in my eyes (also by complex i mean it is run on something-hundred mhz processors with 8mb ram which cost over 4000 bucks lol)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the summer i did as an intern at rockwell automation was the weirdest job i've ever had to date, but, i did learn a lot about allen-bradley's product line and how the software works / ladder logic doing QA on the whatever logix programming software bullshit that existed in like 2000-2001

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

debugging an occasional problem that occurs with a frequency somewhere between once per hour and one per 24 hours (depending on some conditions, maybe, I think)

madness is setting in

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

DuckConference posted:

debugging an occasional problem that occurs with a frequency somewhere between once per hour and one per 24 hours (depending on some conditions, maybe, I think)

madness is setting in

yeah those problems loving suck. there's no way to debug a problem unless you can consistently make it fail and it can be drat hard to figure how to make a failure occur.

this is a must have debugging book imo http://debuggingrules.com/

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Barnyard Protein posted:

there's no way to debug a problem unless you can consistently make it fail

lmao no

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

how else do you know when you've fixed it?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it stops happening in human-relevant timeframes and/or "you don't"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
a hundred machines running 24/7, we were still lucky to see this failure manifest once a week. prq kickoff is in 4 weeks, meaning you have 1.5 debug cycles before the Fix That Will Ship is decided

"make it happen on the one attached to the single million dollar LA" - oh, is it that easy?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
oh, fair enough. i'm open to the idea that a problem could be solved by trying out something new each time the system failed, but it doesn't seem practical from my point of view. i work on stuff where its generally possible to replicate a failure. i'm sure there are a lot of fields where its not possible, but i don't have experience in them.

e: thanks for the example, i have tunnel vision. i work on dinky little 16-bit MCU boards where most problems can be triggered by blowing hot or cold air on the part

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

use erlang to solve heisenbugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

yeah we thought we had fixed it until it seemed to suddenly start happening a whole bunch to customer units in the field

• Locked thread