Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

if that dude isn't trolling i don't want to be a programmer anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

that was a fun read. thanks tef

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

lol programmers are terrible
That's nothing. Somone named "cake 42" not even knowing who Sartre is just slashdot-level bad. Hacker News can get way worse than that ("How I achieved a million dollars per year of passive income in 5 minutes by using machine learning to generate an app to exploit poor people in third world countries and you can too!")

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 15, 2016

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

fritz posted:

cake42 1 hour ago

“Every line of code is written without reason, maintained out of weakness, and deleted by chance” Jean-Paul Sartre’s Programming in ANSI C.
I just started the article and I already have problems with it, not a good sign. While it may be obvious when you research the timelines of JPS (he died a few years before ansi c 89 was established) and C , not to mention the miles of metaphorical distance between Computer Programming and JPS's work) . I guess the author was trying to be cute?? but that fabrication should be made clear as such. he's undermining his own inherent credibility as an author, however much the reader decides to put in. Serious problem in my book.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

lmao

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

craisins posted:

the fact that this guy looked up that Sartre died in 1980 and didn't read anything else on the page is awesome

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hell is other people's code

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
but sometimes it's your own

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
my code is wonderful

it's that other soricidus jerk who keeps committing stuff in my repos a month ago that's the problem

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Gazpacho posted:

but sometimes it's your own

has anyone ever looked back on their own code and been satisfied

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
occasionally i thank my past self for doing something that i didn't expect them to do making my current task much easier.

it's more like i have such low expectations of my past self that the automatic assumption is sabotage and chaos

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Sweeper posted:

Occasionally I will be about to write some script to make my life easier, but then I will realize that I already did it months ago and the script I wrote then is way nicer and more fully featured than I was whatever I was currently planning.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Soricidus posted:

hell is other people's code

i got it

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Soricidus posted:

hell is my own code when I have to fix a bug, say "who the gently caress wrote this?", then check SVN blame and quietly fix it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

often enough

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sweeper posted:

I get that feel, but usually not from the code itself but the fact that it's still managing to succeed at its intended goal despite a long time passing, and I don't cringe at the prospect of altering it.

possibly a low bar, but in my book it's the only one that matters.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Basically all code I've written in Haskell has held up to my standards today. I mean, except for the times I tried to actually write useful Haskell code -- they were all regretful experiences.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

sarehu posted:

Basically all code I've written in Haskell has held up to my standards today. I mean, except for the times I tried to actually write useful Haskell code -- they were all regretful experiences.

:jerkbag:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
haskell is really cool and good. i love it that the compiler keeps yelling at me until I get everything right. I am way too dumb for languages like Python and JavaScript.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

tef's post is top of the pinboard popular list today
https://www.pinboard.in/popular/

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Charlie Mopps posted:

haskell is really cool and good. i love it that the compiler keeps yelling at me until I get everything right. I am way too dumb for languages like Python and JavaScript.

I like rust for this reason but I'm a big baby and can't stand coding without my beautiful ide which imports things for me ;(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Maluco Marinero posted:

I get that feel, but usually not from the code itself but the fact that it's still managing to succeed at its intended goal despite a long time passing, and I don't cringe at the prospect of altering it.

possibly a low bar, but in my book it's the only one that matters.

if it works and i can figure out why, that's satisfactory

wanting it to be some flawless beauty that lasts forever is for undergrads

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Bjarne Stroustrup posted:

Thanks, guys; you did it!

Here are a few comments from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/48zp05/what_we_added_to_the_c17_working_draft/

• I feel c++17 is going to be very underwhelming. ... Zero of the things I was looking forward to are making the standard.
    No modules. No concept. No ranges. Probably nothing new for concurrency, no transactional memory, no reflection, no contracts. ... Wake me up when 2020 ends. Edit : No coroutines

• Well - promise of a renaissance is over. Ah well - we knew it could't last forever. ... I'm also worried about competition.

• The saddest thing is the wasted momentum. ... It look like C++17 will be almost inconsequential. So at the earliest all the much awaited feature will land in 2020. 9 years after C++11. It's a sad long time. I'm afraid it won't help the image of C++ in the larger community.

• I was really excited for concepts, uniform call syntax and modules. All these three are not in: this is disappointing to say the least

• After all the things that were in C++11, this is kind of a letdown. Hopefully ranges, concepts and modules make it into the next standard.

• What a boring update c++17 looks to be UFC : nope can't have nice things Modules: oh god, what is a module?! Let's debate for 10 years. Concepts: it's half rear end to begin with, but oh gawd, how about 15 year debate. Reflection: hahaha, nope suckers.

"Underwhelmed", "lack of momentum", and "competition" are key. C++17 will offer nothing to excite the community. We blew it.

lol

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
they should just let c++ die already.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
are they still working on adding a GDI wrapper to the C++ stdlib, 15 years too late???

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

lomarf where's this from?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
idk if you're going to treat a language as a religion wouldn't you pick one that's less loving stupid than c++

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

lomarf where's this from?

isocpp-all

bjarne is making GBS threads on the committee's work on the official public c++ announcements list because reddit is mad at something

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
well, bjarne is mad, not just reddit

i'm glad i discovered the wonders of sometimes dropping down to c from a high level language. life is better now that i don't c++

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk if you're going to treat a language as a religion wouldn't you pick one that's less loving stupid than c++

things that are noted for being rational and not having loads of dumb bits:
* religions.....?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
for those who don't pay attention to c++, what are concepts and ranges

i understand modules (and i kinda want them to come to plain ol' c)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

isocpp-all

bjarne is making GBS threads on the committee's work on the official public c++ announcements list because reddit is mad at something

ok, yes. bjarne is using reddit being mad at something as supporting evidence for his overwhelming disappointment in the language evolution process because it deferred a bunch of half-baked ideas

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
well tbf c++ has a lot of half-baked ideas in it already so.......

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

speaking as someone who hasnt followed c++ since like c++11:

ranges are basically iterators where you dont have to take care of both ends separately, i think.

concepts are constraints on type parameters so you get more reasonable errors at a more reasonable time when using weird template stuff. and i guess it makes some stuff more generic.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

unless you want special syntax for ranges it seems like something that's been implemented dozens of times in c++ already?

and c++ is running out of ways to have special syntax for things because there's so much already i think

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

ranges are for loops.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
but we already have those???

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

every one of those reddit complaints is some p-langer bitching that a specific thing they're used to using in their specific p-lang isn't in c++. i'm surprised significant whitespace and optional semicolons aren't on the list.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GameCube posted:

ranges are for loops.

they're first-class for loops. as opposed to the state of the art, which is passing pairs of iterators around, which is annoying as heck.

GameCube posted:

every one of those reddit complaints is some p-langer bitching that a specific thing they're used to using in their specific p-lang isn't in c++. i'm surprised significant whitespace and optional semicolons aren't on the list.

ranges and concepts have been on c++ dorks' radars for years now

as someone who had to deal with ad-hoc concepts, reifying them in the language would be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

for those who don't pay attention to c++, what are concepts

you know how when you pass a parameter to a template and you get 300 lines of error messages because templates are barely one step above text substitution?

what if instead of that garbage the compiler just said, "Yo, this thing needs to be Addable"