Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/02/12/iowa-corn-signs-three-year-extension-for-indycar-at-iowa/

The main sponsor for the Iowa 300 has re-upped for 3 years. This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I really wish IndyCar race sponsors weren't so

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

…corny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Think Indycar would race there?

naaaah, prolly not

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
*Back of the room voice* Watkins Glen!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/698451159615467520
Project Cars is getting the 2012-spec Indycars at some point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

*Back of the room voice* Watkins Glen!

The Glen is NASCAR country now, and needs a ton of upgrades to be safe for an open wheeler.

Whereas CNYRP is under construction and the dude building it would gladly build it to Indy specs if they came along and tossed a few hundred grand at him.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

tossed a few hundred grand at him.

a man can dream

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
they could scrounge it up, if they can't just call Brian France already, jesus

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

The Glen is NASCAR country now, and needs a ton of upgrades to be safe for an open wheeler.

Whereas CNYRP is under construction and the dude building it would gladly build it to Indy specs if they came along and tossed a few hundred grand at him.

Well, it is! Seriously the amount of stock car/dirt track fans from NY/NJ and New England I've ran across is pretty astounding. Seems like every other racing fan twitter dude is from that area.

Actually I was tweeting with a buddy of mine who lives in that area. He said The Glen was interested in having Indy back a while back, but I guess IndyCar asked too much for a sanctioning fee. Also the tickets were just as much as getting them for cup, and they were never as big of a draw versus Cup.

Personally my dumbass fantasy is the France Family upgrades the hell out of that track to F1 standards, and we get the US Grand Prix back at it's rightful home. But that's just me.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 14, 2016

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Personally my dumbass fantasy is the France Family upgrades the hell out of that track to F1 standards, and we get the US Grand Prix back at it's rightful home. But that's just me.

Would be cool except for the likelihood that 'upgrading to F1standards' would also mean drafting in Hermann Tilke to bulldoze half the existing layout so he can throw in a Pointless Twisty Section and a Big Dumb Hairpin.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
remember when Tilke designed a circuit with a hairpin so tight the cars couldn't actually go through it

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

The funniest part of that article is NASCAR Road Course Racing :laffo:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

KingShibby posted:

At least when nascar road races the winner isn't whoever just happens to come off of pit road first during the final yellow.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

NASCAR's Road Course racing is pretty loving good, actually. Hell of a lot better than Indycar's snoozefests intermingled with career-ending injuries.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR road course racing is among the best racing in the world tbh

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

reminder that NASCAR runs American sportscar racing lol

e- I'm 100% serious about that track, though. I'm familiar with Donnelly and that motherfucker will get poo poo done at a cut rate. He'd kill for an Indycar date, that track only exists at this point to fund the dirt track because he's a mod guy

if I had my druthers I'd rather CNYRP collapse because that would make OCFS the undisputed king track of modifieds, but on the same token I think Indy could have a real shot at the northeast market on a dedicated road course here

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 15, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

NASCAR's Road Course racing is pretty loving good, actually. Hell of a lot better than Indycar's snoozefests intermingled with career-ending injuries.

I enjoy it!

MoSport, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen and Road America have been "must watches" for me as a race fan.I'm not huge on Sears Point, but it's still an interesting watch. I wish they'd add Montreal back to the schedule. (Needs to be a Cup weekend. Honest to god.)

IndyCar is also very good on a good road course. Just not on dumb rear end ones like NOLA. No need for the bullshit pissing contest.

VikingSkull posted:

if I had my druthers I'd rather CNYRP collapse because that would make OCFS the undisputed king track of modifieds, but on the same token I think Indy could have a real shot at the northeast market on a dedicated road course here

Between that running some sort of 1 mile oval. Both would be good investments IMO.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i enjoyed the defensive posts, but i dont think shibby was making fun of nascar's actual road course races. calm down, nancies

also i wish you would have a posting career ending injury pnut (please consider yourself owned)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

i enjoyed the defensive posts, but i dont think shibby was making fun of nascar's actual road course races. calm down, nancies

To be fair, the only NASCAR races I can actually watch from Green to Checkered without falling asleep are road course events. I was making fun of the fact that adding road courses is the opposite of what NASCAR is going for. I mean they used to race twice at both Sonoma & the Glen, now it's only once on watered down versions of each track. I'm all for more road course races regardless of what kind of car it is.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

To be fair, the only NASCAR races I can actually watch from Green to Checkered without falling asleep are road course events. I was making fun of the fact that adding road courses is the opposite of what NASCAR is going for. I mean they used to race twice at both Sonoma & the Glen, now it's only once on watered down versions of each track. I'm all for more road course races regardless of what kind of car it is.

they've never run twice a year at those tracks

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

also i wish you would have a posting career ending injury pnut (please consider yourself owned)

be nice cygni

Also NASCAR runs the same number of Road Courses as IRL, so shibby is wrong on two levels (like cygni when he's on an elevator [because he doesn't take the stairs {because he's fat}]).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NASCAR needs more road courses
IndyCar needs more ovals
Formula 1 needs to be back in France, The Netherlands, San Marino, Brands Hatch, Portugal and out of random rear end middle eastern countries
IMSA needs to run IMS and Mid Ohio.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

they've never run twice a year at those tracks

Hmm I could have swore they used to run twice on those tracks but I stand corrected.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The very first year of the TUDOR Series (2014) all four classes ran at IMS since that used to be a Grand-Am Series event. It was a one-and-done event :saddowns:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

KingShibby posted:

The very first year of the TUDOR Series (2014) all four classes ran at IMS since that used to be a Grand-Am Series event. It was a one-and-done event :saddowns:
They should run the oval :rice:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

NASCAR needs more road courses

Agreed

quote:

IndyCar needs more ovals

Also Agreed

quote:

Formula 1 needs to be back in France, The Netherlands, San Marino, Brands Hatch, Portugal and out of random rear end middle eastern countries

Where in The Netherlands? Brands Hatch are you loving kidding, no chance in a modern F1 car, too short even with the long loop (there's only two FIA grade 1 circuits under 4 km, bet you can't guess what they are!). Portugal? Not enough cash.

quote:

IMS eh maybe but Mid Ohio god yes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Every racing series needs to run Mid Ohio.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KingShibby posted:

Hmm I could have swore they used to run twice on those tracks but I stand corrected.

Yeah, the only road course they used to visit twice a year was Riverside.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

harperdc posted:

Where in The Netherlands?

There's talk of bringing Zandvoort to grade 1 spec, but a lot of the really fun parts of that circuit are now housing developments.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Where in The Netherlands? Brands Hatch are you loving kidding, no chance in a modern F1 car, too short even with the long loop (there's only two FIA grade 1 circuits under 4 km, bet you can't guess what they are!). Portugal? Not enough cash.

monaco and uh the indy road course? how short is suzuka, it seems short-ish

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So I found out today I'll be going to the 500 in may. I've never been to Indianapolis, or an Indy car race in general. Anyone have any tips for things to do, places to see, or anything I should be prepared for?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Downtown is nice, Mug n Bun is overrated, and expect a lot of yokels.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Go to Shapiro's, Heidelberg Haus, and Hellas Cafe for food. Go to Fountain Square Brewing and Flat 12 Brewing for beer. If you dig cider and/or mead, go to New Day. Go to Atomic or Action for duckpin bowling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Go to Shapiro's, Heidelberg Haus, and Hellas Cafe for food. Go to Fountain Square Brewing and Flat 12 Brewing for beer. If you dig cider and/or mead, go to New Day. Go to Atomic or Action for duckpin bowling.

sun king and brugge are other good beer places. also think upland has a location in indy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

be nice wicka posted:

monaco and uh the indy road course? how short is suzuka, it seems short-ish

Suzuka I think is one of the longer F1 tracks, one of those sub-4k tracks is almost certainly the Red Bull Ring and I think you're right about Monaco.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Indycar at the full Brands Hatch circuit would be cool.

Both European ovals, Brands Hatch, Zolder and Paul Ricard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

Downtown is nice, Mug n Bun is overrated, and expect a lot of yokels.

Downtown: I mean, compared to the rest of Indianapolis...
Mug-N-Bun: The best garbage-tier food you'll ever have, and the root beer / sweet potato fries are legit awesome.
Yokels: Yup.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mug-N-Bun: The best garbage-tier food you'll ever have, and the root beer / sweet potato fries are legit awesome.

Agreed 100% but everyone's gotta try the breaded tenderloin, sweet potato fries, and root beer at least once in their lives. Not to mention it's walking distance from IMS (unless you're a :btroll: and/or :corsair:)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

njsykora posted:

Suzuka I think is one of the longer F1 tracks, one of those sub-4k tracks is almost certainly the Red Bull Ring and I think you're right about Monaco.

It is, it's nearly 6km.

The Red Bull ring is longer than 4km. I suspect the answer is going to be some other street circuit.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

KingShibby posted:

Agreed 100% but everyone's gotta try the breaded tenderloin, sweet potato fries, and root beer at least once in their lives. Not to mention it's walking distance from IMS (unless you're a :btroll: and/or :corsair:)

Whenever I go home, I try to get a breaded tenderloin from somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

be nice wicka posted:

sun king and brugge are other good beer places. also think upland has a location in indy.

They do, and it is pretty cool. Not as great as the home location in Bloomington, naturally, but good nonetheless. Sun King is ok, but their facility just does nothing for me, so visiting there when you can get the beer elsewhere in town in a better setting is my choice. Man, I always forget about Brugge, somehow. Hopcat is ok, too, as is Bent Rail. Tow Yard and Indiana City are decent. I've yet to make it to other places.

• Locked thread