Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bartolimu posted:

If you must go to a buffet, make it the Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan. It's about the closest thing to a foodie buffet as you'll find. The selections rotate some, but bone marrow with chimichurri, crispy-skinned Cantonese pork belly, and a heck of a good salade niçoise are pretty much guaranteed. There are plenty of buffet standards as well, but most are improved upon by small serving size (less sitting around on the holding table) and/or better ingredients. Caesar's remodeled their buffet a couple of years ago and it's a close second for quality; it's also more expensive and has much longer lines. For a purely seafood buffet experience Caesar's might be a better option than Wicked Spoon. There's also the Seafood Buffet at the Rio (free shuttle from Harrah's every half hour), which is an add-on to their very popular regular buffet. To my knowledge Rio is the only place offering lobster buffet-style.

My favorite place for drinks on the Strip (Vesper Bar, Cosmo) isn't nearly as good as it used to be, and I'm not sure where else to suggest heading for cocktails. Herbs and Rye is a short taxi ride and probably the easiest to get to, though you may have difficulty finding a seat some nights. The Downtown drinky places (Oak and Ivy, Atomic) are worth the extra distance due to being a short walk from each other and each fantastic in their own right. As a bonus, if you go Downtown you can eat at Carson Kitchen, which among other treasures offers a turducken pot pie with schmaltz biscuits.

If you want something quick while wandering the Strip, I'd again hit the Cosmopolitan and find Secret Pizza. It's on the third floor, near all the other restaurants (Scarpetta, Milos, etc.) down a blind hallway. Follow the pizza smell. It's great pizza and cheap for the Strip.

Bouchon remains one of the better values for breakfast, and pretty great any time of day. It's in the Venetian. If money is no object head over to the Palazzo for Carnevino - it's the best Batalli/Bastianich property in town and puts out some amazing food.

In the hallway leading from Palazzo to the Venetian is Public House, probably the best Strip location for craft beer (but expect to pay $12/pint or more). The better answer for craft beer is to taxi over to Downtown and hit up Atomic, or the newly-relocated Tenaya Creek brewery. Avoid Downtown's Banger Brewing; their beer ranges from execrable to mediocre and the guys running it are a bunch of douchey bros. The bar staff are all pretty okay though.

Want a classic fancy French dinner with a lower than average cost for the Strip? Andre's in the Monte Carlo does a great job; just try to ignore the 4-500% markup on wine.

The newest critics' darling is Bazaar Meat at the SLS. I haven't been because Jose Andres has priced himself out of my budget, but everyone who's been raves about it.

That's a poorly organized, incomplete stream of consciousness post but all current.

Preview edit: oh yeah, Flock and Fowl is making a stir for doing great traditional Chinese chicken-and-rice dishes. That's next on my list to visit. People I trust have given it the thumbs up, though.

Also quoting so I can find this again when I head to Vegas in July. Thanks for the effortpost!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We sat at the bar at Carnevino and ate a ton of food and drank a ton of wine. I'd recommend it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I think we're on the same page here. I totally get and appreciate the difference between a lovely cheddar, and something that is dense, milky, has the tyrosine bits. And I like all that in a cheddar. But it still all just tastes like cheddar to me.

On the other hand I'm 10000% on board with you on Epoisses - it's my favorite cheese by far and I will go to hell and back arguing that it's spergworthy. Nothing else tastes quite like it, it's super temperamental aging-wise, blah blah blah - I just feel like you can differentiate more of a spectrum with some things people latch on to than others.

yeah, I mean that's probably the better point to make.

it really doesn't matter at all. But sometimes I find myself thinking about things like 'Hey, is it pretentious and/or worthwhile to care about food/wine in any objective sense - and if so why - and depending on why, how can you qualitatively differentiate your care about this topic (let's say, wine, or cheese in general) from any other topic (let's say whiskey and cheddar)?'

And then I have to wonder : 'On what basis can you assert that anything at all is worth objectively caring about or making a value judgement about in any sense whatsoever?

And to take that one step further, what does it mean for something to matter to begin with? After all, we're all going to die sooner rather than later and whiskey producers will stop producing whiskey and no one will have any idea that Hooks produced a superb cheddar circa 1980-2020, and maybe we should all just drive our cars off cliffs ASAP. And maybe Descartes was right, and evil demons are all playing tricks on our senses all the time, and we need to just do a bunch of PCP to punch through the illusions and strike the evil demons down and perceive immediate reality!'

thanks for this "The Maestro".

I can appreciate that and you make a lot of good points, but you just sounded so insufferable in the first place. Why does it grind your gears that people appreciate one thing over another? If there were no value judgments, wouldn't everything be the same? There would be one whiskey and one cheddar (if we're lucky - what if there was only one spirit and one cheese?).

Tastes change. Context changes. It's what makes life actually worth living. The best whiskey of yesteryear probably isn't as good as it was hyped up to be. There is always something to strive to, even if it's ineffable nostalgia.

I've tried a bunch of whiskey, and knowing how it's supposed to be made and supposed to taste (even if those are weird restrictions in and of themselves), I have favorites and ones I think demonstrate the platonic ideal, if you will. Do I categorize them based on worth/value/how much I paid? Absolutely.

I dunno where else I'm going with this. Basically if whiskey and cheddar are making you think that nothing at all matters and we should all drive off cliffs, my response is stop thinking about that and eat some drat cheddar and drink some drat whiskey and enjoy them for what they are - sensory, temporary delights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just made an error in making a lazy indian-style curried chicken dish. I spaced out while I was adding my chilli powder and put about 8x as much in as I had intended. poo poo loving owns. I haven't had a "god this is too hot to eat" meal in like 10 years. Had to shred the chicken off the bones and stir it in with rice before it could get in my mouth.

:dogbutton:

10/10 would do again.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I will step on every one of your fukkin necks over a good bottle of whiskey and I'm not sorry.

Currently enjoying a shot of Elijah in Cava because gently caress you, dad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm drinking Moscow mules while watching a Jim Jarmusch movie. We need a :hipster: emoticon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rum is cooler than whiskey anyway.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'm a Big Liver drinker. There's room for everything in my liver. I do have a special place in my heart for good tequila, though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Whiskey is almost universally terrible. Whisky is much better.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm a gin man myself, but bourbon is my second most horded spirit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just don't like whiskey/whisky. I do enjoy a good gin though. And good cheese, mos def.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i just love gettign drunk i dont even give af what on, i'll drink whatever.

do like cheese tho good call

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Got a whole bunch of wings. Not gonna do buffalo, but not sure what I want to do. I'm considering something Asian/sweet/spicy or smoking/grilling them. Suggestions?

know it's way late, but for non-buffalo the wing place I love has a thai chili one that is great. The Vietnamese place I love does crispy tamarind wings

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Protip: don't promise to make cassoulet for your so on Valentine's Day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jay Carney posted:

Protip: don't promise to make cassoulet for your so on Valentine's Day.

Hah thats exactly what I made today! Well, buncha other stuff too but interesting coincidence.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I'm not into whisky - I only have 3 different ones left, a mortlach (1997), a bruichladdich (2001), an arran (1992) - they're still in the distilleries being matured - oh and it is a hogshead of each that I share with 5 other guys.

Odd thing is really that I'm not really into it, but I guess it'll do fine with some coke while I eat a grilled cheese sandwich made with this 36mths comté on unpasteurised morning milk.

I enjoy when people sperg about stuff, because that teaches me a lot of different things - the most enjoyable conversations I've had is with complete sperg-lords who knew everything about their chosen topic, and chose to erudite my rear end on their specific subject area:
* greco roman wars? Sure thing - I have a couple of hours to kill at this party!
* Board games? Why the gently caress not - I play monopoly with the best of them, so let's hear it (and 4hrs later.... there is so much to know about board games)
* bees? Bring 'em (that was a 3 day experience - I intimately know the sexual life of bees now, and have been to the Amish to help them with their bees not having enough sex with their flowers, and to a monastery where they kept bees as god intended, to assist my bee-sperglord in planning out new sites
* food? Sure - I'll join GWS

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Happy Hat posted:

I guess it'll do fine with some coke

Please tell me you're joking

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Would Pepsi be better?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There's nothing better at being at a bar and someone puts some Stagg in a coke.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Scientastic posted:

Please tell me you're joking

Yeah...

No.. I am not using my 257,5 (or so) liters of 57% alcohol for mixers - Some had the arran bottled at 18, and it was selling at 95 pounds - so I guess I am sitting on a goldmine here...

It's much better with coffee, brown sugar and whipped cream!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If anyone asked for anything better then Jameson to be mixed with coke... Give 'em Earlytimes or Evan Williams instead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

If anyone asked for anything better then Jameson to be mixed with coke... Give 'em Earlytimes or Evan Williams instead.

This.

I never knew I liked whisky until I found the right kinds. There's a lot of stuff out there, some popular, some not, that just was not good tasting to me. Once I happened upon one that suited my palette, I was hooked.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yes, committing literal fraud is the sane, rational response to anyone whose opinions on food or drink you disagree with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SubG posted:

Yes, committing literal fraud is the sane, rational response to anyone whose opinions on food or drink you disagree with.

Earlytimes and Evan Williams are better than Jameson :confused:

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I made beef tenderloin sous vide and reverse sear for v-day. Gf said medium was okay. When it was plated she said it was too bloody and picked it up and rang it out like a dish towel. Currently sitting in the bath tub by myself.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

Earlytimes and Evan Williams are better than Jameson :confused:
Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding then, but it sure sounded like `if a customer asks for anything other than a cheap whiskey mixed with coke, give them a cheap whiskey anyway'. Which would be fraud.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Which variety of basil is the one that has round, smooth leaves and tastes peppery? All I've been able to find in the last two years is the pointy, barbed-leaf variety that tastes like anise.

I desparately want to grow a shitload of real basil.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tots posted:

I made beef tenderloin sous vide and reverse sear for v-day. Gf said medium was okay. When it was plated she said it was too bloody and picked it up and rang it out like a dish towel. Currently sitting in the bath tub by myself.

She did loving not that's too insane.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tots posted:

That's the best case scenario then...
She could've been in the bathtub with you, underneath the water surface, being too bloody herself.

(I watched way too many movies..and Dexter)

On the other hand, my bf made me meatballs, potatoes and andive.
And with "made", I mean "warmed up the leftovers from the previous day".

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubG posted:

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding then, but it sure sounded like `if a customer asks for anything other than a cheap whiskey mixed with coke, give them a cheap whiskey anyway'. Which would be fraud.

Oh! Nononono, I'm not talking about customers, I'm talking about idiot friends at a party or something. If someone pays the insane markup on whiskey shots at a bar and wants to mix them in anything less classy then an Old Fashioned, Manhattan, or Whiskey and Soda... well, let them do what they want. And then cry to yourself in a corner. But then again, this is not the industry thread.

Earlytimes and Even Williams are probably the best mixing/cocktail whiskeys out there. Strong enough to stand up to flavors, pleasant enough to mix with just soda. Ain't no pure old panther piss.

I got chineese and watched documentaries. And now I just bought a bunch of half-price V-Day candy. I'm set for MONTHS candy-wise.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 15, 2016

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
If you mail me panther piss I will no poo poo serve it to some of the world's finest bartenders, from a flask, calling it a boomerang, and document every instance.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

And now I just bought a bunch of half-price V-Day candy.

Dammit, I knew I forgot something today.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Evan Williams and Chopin vodka are basically the only liquor I drink anymore and I will fight for their honor.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bartolimu posted:

Dammit, I knew I forgot something today.

Don't worry, Easter is just around the corner.

bloody ghost titty posted:

If you mail me panther piss I will no poo poo serve it to some of the world's finest bartenders, from a flask, calling it a boomerang, and document every instance.

Guaranteed 36 hours old. Aged in woods, bottled in barn. A blend of lovely whiskey. Turn off safe search.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Evan Williams is great, but I have been drinking some early times and it is not good. It's aged in reused barrels. It actually has less flavor than Jameson.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Evan Williams is great, but I have been drinking some early times and it is not good. It's aged in reused barrels. It actually has less flavor than Jameson.

Yeah but the flavor of Jameson is too sweet so less of it is ok. I don't buy early times because it's good though I buy it because it's cheap and it's not offensively bad. I only buy it at places that don't carry edub though.

Evan Williams on the other hand I enjoy a lot more than pretty much every "name brand" whiskey and a lot of the time it's like 60% the price of Jack Daniels. And it actually tastes good.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 16, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I drank a fifth of plastic bottle vodka mixed with orange soda yesterday what kind of drink is this called?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
A philips head screwdriver

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am by no means attempting to start one, but what is a "food purity argument"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Discendo Vox posted:

I am by no means attempting to start one, but what is a "food purity argument"?

The only true "cat food" contains "poop", or no true "cat food" contains "poop".