Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember the government shutdowns? They'll absolutely try - though rather than admitting it's because they don't like the president, they'll spin some bullshit about how it's unprecedented for a president in to appoint a justice in an election year and there's no way an outgoing president's nomination could be considered legitimate. In fact, the candidates already pushed that argument during last night's debate, even though it's not true. For example, Kennedy was confirmed in Feb 1988.

It doesn't exactly take much to spin it into a true statement, it's a fairly rare occurence. I think the last time a vacancy opened up in the court during a presidential election year was 60 years ago.

Kennedy was nominated in late '87 and confirmed in '88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Good loving riddance. I hope Obama can nominate a gay black judge to the bench

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bedshaped posted:

Did he die from being a fatty? Do they perform an autopsy?

In a 5-4 decision the supreme coroners ruled him dead of natural causes.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember the government shutdowns? They'll absolutely try - though rather than admitting it's because they don't like the president, they'll spin some bullshit about how it's unprecedented for a president in to appoint a justice in an election year and there's no way an outgoing president's nomination could be considered legitimate. In fact, the candidates already pushed that argument during last night's debate, even though it's not true. For example, Kennedy was confirmed in Feb 1988.

If one were to make a statement that, while true, is deliberately misleading (as slimy politicians do), it is true that Reagan didn't nominate Kennedy during an election year, but late the year before. Which is what Cruz was obfuscating, and why the moderator called him out and the crowd booed at the moderator for doing so. If he'd said nominated instead he probably wouldn't have been called out.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

In a 5-4 decision the supreme coroners ruled him dead of natural causes.

Justice Thomas dissents.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Monohydrate posted:

Good loving riddance. I hope Obama can nominate a gay black judge to the bench

We already have one of those. (It's Roberts)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sen. Mitch McConnell in 2005 defending the President's right to nominate Supreme Court justices:

How long until this is quoted back in him on the floor of the Senate?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Deadpool was really good btw

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

How long until this is quoted back in him on the floor of the Senate?

Thursday

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I don't think the senate Republicans will be able to stall out for that long. The pressure to "do their jobs" and least go through the motions with Obama's nominee will be high. I think the plan will be to stall for a while, then drag out the hearings, and then reject the candidate, probably with a filibuster occurring in there somewhere (I'm guessing Cruz). How reasonable they appear during this whole process will depend on who Obama nominates. Alternatively they might strike a deal with him, appointing his nominee in exchange for some concession.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 15, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HappyHippo posted:

I don't think the senate Republicans will be able to stall out for that long. The pressure to "do their jobs" and least go through the motions with Obama's nominee will be high. I think the plan will be to stall for a while, then drag out the hearings, and then reject the candidate, probably with a filibuster occurring in there somewhere (I'm guessing Cruz). How reasonable they appear during this whole process will depend on who Obama nominates. Alternatively they might strike a deal with him, appointing his nominee in exchange for some concession.

oh you sweet summer child

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

HappyHippo posted:

have you been in a coma for the past 10 years?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I'm sure there will be some tea party leaning congressmen who will refuse to vote for ANYTHING Obama wants to do until a full investigation is called into the circumstances surrounding Scalia's death.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Al! posted:

I'm sure there will be some tea party leaning congressmen who will refuse to vote for ANYTHING Obama wants to do until a full investigation is called into the circumstances surrounding Scalia's death.
They skipped the autopsy. :tinfoil:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Josh Lyman posted:

They skipped the autopsy. :tinfoil:

He was just given a burial at sea in the Indian Ocean.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Al! posted:

And this differs from all tea party congressmen before Scalia died because...

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Jaunts posted:

In case anyone was wondering, Scalia died of a heart attack.

Well now we know it was murder: someone had to have put that thing in his chest.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm afraid the playwright has a point here

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/698893139071864832

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Another Bush v. Gore situation with the Supreme Court deadlocked at 4-4 would be the end of America.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

drat, didn't even think of that. I'm sure you'll hear that brought up plenty.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sooo why is Drudge going full red headlines about Scalia being found with a pillow over his head?

Because Drudge is attempting to launch a conspiracy theory using a poorly written article.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Here's a cool chart electoral-vote put up:

Also they had a good summary of the issue today as well so

electoral-vote.com posted:

The data can be parsed in many different ways, but here are a few salient observations:

47 of the 112 justices in Supreme Court history were submitted in the last 18 months of a presidential term.

Of those 47, 28 were confirmed, six were withdrawn, three declined the offer, two were rejected, and for eight no decision was made.

Just over half of those 47 were placed into nomination by a president whose lame duck status was official.

For official lame ducks, it is 11 confirmations, four withdrawals, three declines, one rejection, and five where no decision was made.

The average length of time for a decision to be made is 37 days; the longest a nominee has languished is 261 days. There are 342 days left in Barack Obama's term.

Late-term appointments were vastly more common in the 19th century than they are today. In part, this is because justices live and serve longer now, so there is less turnover. And in part it is because the Court's increased importance over time has caused more justices to strategically "time" their resignations and retirements; rarely does a seat come open in the third/fourth year of a president's term unless a justice dies unexpectedly.

The upshot is that there is no "tradition" of lame duck presidents withholding their Supreme Court nominations in order to "give the voters a chance to weigh in." The Court has business to do, the President has a role in making sure that business gets conducted, and no chief executive—including Ronald Reagan—has declined to fulfill their responsibilities because their time in office was short. Grassley, Rubio, and Cruz zoomed in on "80 years," because only two vacancies have occurred in the last 18 months of a president's term during that time (one each for LBJ and Reagan). Two instances does not a "tradition" make, however, and in any event, both of those presidents made a nomination.

There is some precedent for filibustering a nominee (or failing to take action, which was the 19th century equivalent). However, in each case where a nominee lingered for 100 days or more, the issue was not constitutional or legal but instead 100% political. Namely:

Both John Tyler and Millard Fillmore were Democrats-turned-Whigs who assumed the presidency on the death of the incumbent (William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor, respectively). They weren't Whiggish enough for the Whigs and were considered apostates by the Democrats in Congress, so their nominees were punished. In fact, Tyler's failures (he only got one of six nominees approved) gave us the longest vacancy in Supreme Court history, at 27 months.

Woodrow Wilson's nomination of Louis Brandeis outraged conservatives in Congress, who deemed the justice-to-be "too radical." There was also some amount of anti-Semitism driving opposition to the appointment, though it was eventually approved.

LBJ's nomination of Abe Fortas to the chief justiceship (and Homer Thornberry to fill the associate seat that would have been vacated by Fortas) is the case that the GOP is currently hitching its wagon to; Cruz specifically mentioned it during the debate. In Fortas' case, Congressional Republicans were angry about the Great Society, Democrats about the Vietnam War, and both sides felt the nominee was too closely connected to the President, so they refused confirmation.

Certainly, it is entirely possible for Obama's nominee to be held up for the rest of his term. More than a dozen of his appointments to lower courts have already waited for a year or more. But the President's opponents cannot rest on "custom" or "tradition" or "precedent" as their reason. Sooner or later, as the president's choice waits longer than any appointee ever has, it will be obvious that the delay is pure politics. And at that point, the question will be whether the calculus adds up for the GOP.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's 2016 can't we do this all with computers now? The 9th judge is usually the one that deadlocks it right? Just have an acting A.I.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
This nomination is going to be the hill that Cruz or Rubio choose to die on so that'll be pretty great.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually, they were planning to nominate a super WASP and ended up nominating Commander Adama a Sotomayor.

No that was the first appointment episode, there was another one way later in the 5th season or something.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Is it true that judge scalia once argued for the constitutionality of putting an innocent man to death?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

This nomination is going to be the hill that Cruz or Rubio choose to die on so that'll be pretty great.

name one hill that Cruz hasn't eagerly jumped up to die on

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

White Genocide posted:

Is it true that judge scalia once argued for the constitutionality of putting an innocent man to death?

Yes, under the reasoning "he got a fair trial so who gives a gently caress about his innocence"

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Well now we know it was murder: someone had to have put that thing in his chest.

Am ilak
AM ILAK!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
all I want for Christmas

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

White Genocide posted:

He more or less opined in a dissent against a stay of execution that the SCOTUS has never ruled that Constitution forbids or condones the execution of the innocence, and that it's something they've purposefully never ruled on. He also states that by prior jurisprudence, they don't generally consider actual innocence to be in their Constitutional jurisdiction for rulings.

It's hosed up, but he was technically and legally accurate.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Bizarre mental image of the day.

quote:

...Later, I learned that Scalia and Kagan were friends, though I suspect she would have been as surprised as I was at the brazenness of Scalia's suggestion.

Each was a graduate of Harvard Law School and had taught at the University of Chicago Law School, though in different eras. They were of different generations, he the son of an Italian immigrant, she a Jew from New York City's left-leaning West Side. But they shared an intellectual rigor and a robust sense of humor. And if Scalia could not have a philosophical ally in the next court appointee, he had hoped, at least, for one with the heft to give him a good, honest fight...

But when another vacancy arose a year later with the retirement of Justice John Paul Stevens, Obama did nominate Kagan, whose friendship with Scalia would grow in the years to come, even as they differed, sometimes sharply, on issues before them.

During her confirmation meetings with senators, Kagan had vowed to go hunting to allay their concerns about her cultural awareness on the issue of guns. When she joined the court, she asked her friend, Scalia, to take her. The two, who occasionally shot intellectual darts at each other on paper, became regular, if unlikely, hunting partners...

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/14/opinions/david-axelrod-surprise-request-from-justice-scalia/index.html

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

White Genocide posted:

He put scare quotes around 'innocent' in his opinion, so I'm not sure if it's this or he just didn't buy the dude was actually innocent.

He was a monster either way.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/kwissoker/status/698648756376494081

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So, is Scalia still dead?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's 2016 can't we do this all with computers now? The 9th judge is usually the one that deadlocks it right? Just have an acting A.I.

No, no, we don't want Associate Justice Rubio.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Quorum posted:

No, no, we don't want Associate Justice Rubio.

Sinners Sandwich did say AI.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sinners Sandwich did say AI.

Associate Iustice.

Worked for the Romans, just how Scalia would have liked it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FAUXTON posted:

Associate Iustice.

Worked for the Romans, just how Scalia would have liked it.

I meant to contest Rubio's intelligence. I failed, and now must perform seppukku. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

From the pics thread:

I wonder if Kagan shot, dressed and ate quail

• Locked thread