Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Bad Munki posted:

insanely vibrant and prrreeeettttyyyy.

Didn't you also have a handle you had made from a giant floppy dildo? You ought to get a translucent dildo and set up a string of LEDs inside it so that it pulses throbs with lights as well.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jo3sh posted:

Didn't you also have a handle you had made from a giant floppy dildo? You ought to get a translucent dildo and set up a string of LEDs inside it so that it pulses throbs with lights as well.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Also, I am 100% for this.

nullfunction posted:

:allears:

Amazing. Got a link to these?

Unfortunately, nope. They're a custom job, I 3D printed the flanges themselves in translucent ABS. The LED rings are these LED rings from Adafruit and they are so, so good. Also very conveniently sized, since I drew up my initial prototype without them in mind and it j just turned out they were a perfect fit when I ran across them by happenstance. After that, you need something to drive them, so like an arduino or similar (I used a teensyduino, my platform of choice for everything arduino-related.)

I guess if a person wanted, I'd be happy to print some more of these off, but you'd be on the hook for soldering the LED ring wires (there are only three of them to worry about, it's a pretty easy job) and putting some program to do whatever you want on the arduino/whatever other controller you like.

It also requires making a small notch in the hole the shank goes through in your bar, but that's super minor and takes about ten seconds with a dremel. Only needs to provide about 1/8" x 1/16" to give the wires a place to go.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

:perfect:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

General_Failure posted:

The kind of place where the "Outback" magazine saturates waiting rooms. The yeast arrived a couple of days ago. Just hanging on to it for now until I have a real use for it.
I think my attempts at getting the yeast from the figs was a failure. No big deal. I will try again next time it fruits. I'm still convinced it has an interesting strain on it.

I'm having a second attempt at making my own koji. Not overly concerned about making sake, but I am extremely curious about what else I can use it with. Various grains, seeds and starchy things.

Yeah, based on the posts I've read you're down in Tassie? Where have you been shipping from out of curiosity? I know grain and grape in Melbourne is good, I'm sure there'd be some good shops around tassie as well based on the quality of breweries around!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

So in regards to that wheat beer I tried to make where the tap leaked (possibly some water got in as well), it seems to have stopped fermenting at 1.020 from an initial 1.044. For the recipe, I used the Mangrove Jack's Bavarian Wheat kit as the base, some wheat yeast from my LHBS, and a tin of Morgan's Master Wheat Malt in place of dextrose... contamination issues aside, would not having added any extra dextrose on top of the wheat malt contributed to the crappy attenuation? I still have the kit yeast for the Mangrove Jack, could I put that in with some LDME, or is that a dumb idea?

Like I said in my last post, I think I'm just going to toss some durian extract in at bottling for laughs because this batch is probably already a writeoff. However, I've also got some surplus apricot and cherry extract laying around, so was thinking of doing a bit of each. Could I get an eyedropper and just do a drop or two in each bottle individually, or is it fairly necessary to mix it evenly in the secondary along with the sugar I'm using for priming? On that, do I go lighter on the sugar if I'm also adding extract? I read somewhere that if you don't, might overcarb and have some bottle explode.

On that, I've got a 2L Ultimate Growler that I bought before I remembered that I live in Hobart and I'm pretty sure no place around here fills growlers. It says its rated to 40psi, could I bottle condition experimental brews in it?

Nowhere in Hobart I know of, but some of the breweries further out of Hobart would. The growler is one you've gotta watch as some shops will only do 64 ounce growlers rather than 2 litres, whereas some will do 2 litres

I took this tap handle to the last SE Qld case swap, it started its life out as a bottle opener and ended up as a tap handle

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
An interesting opportunity just came up. One of the guys in my brewclub is friends with a co-owner/brewery/(?) at Burn 'em Brewing in Michigan City. They're doing some kind of 420 event (on 4/23 because calendars) because they're all a bunch of :catdrugs:

We've brought them a few bottles here and there of our homebrewed malt Liquor called Bru Tang Clan, and they want it on tap at their event - so we're brewing a 10gal batch on their pilot system as a collab. Pretty exciting stuff. It's a pretty simple recipe, 6-Row, 2-Row, Flaked Corn, Sugar, and whatever hops are on hand. For this batch, to keep up with the theme of the party, we're going to put in some sort of Dank hops.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Posted an ad on Craigslist in search of bottles now that I'm about to start home brewing. Found a guy with about 140 clean and label free bottles. Got 2 fermenters with my kit so I should be able to knock out my first 3 batches of home brew in about 2-3 months. First two batches are Brewer's Best kits, one Red Ale and the other a pumpkin spice porter kit that was on sale for $26 at my LHBS. Not sure what I'll do for the 3rd batch, I will either buy another kit and just add something to it for fun or I will get an extract recipe online and do that.

All I'm missing is the brew pot which should be here Monday, assuming FedEx doesn't get lazy and try to say the office was closed without ever coming to my apartment.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Kick rear end brew day today. I think I have my grain mill dialed in, my beersmith numbers adjusted properly to fit my system, my bad rear end new 15 gallon Anvil Brewing pot rocking, and holy gently caress today's brew smelled like heaven.

I've been brewing for close to four years now but have never done anything with chocolate malt. Did the can you brew it Deschutes Black Butte Porter inspired by my trip to their taproom and pub in Bend last summer, with a few small changes. gently caress it smelled amazing. Did I mention that already?

Did .75 ounces of Galena @ 90 instead of .6 Nugget/Galena
And .25 ounce of US Tett instead of the Mt Hood

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Kick rear end brew day today. I think I have my grain mill dialed in, my beersmith numbers adjusted properly to fit my system, my bad rear end new 15 gallon Anvil Brewing pot rocking, and holy gently caress today's brew smelled like heaven.

I've been brewing for close to four years now but have never done anything with chocolate malt. Did the can you brew it Deschutes Black Butte Porter inspired by my trip to their taproom and pub in Bend last summer, with a few small changes. gently caress it smelled amazing. Did I mention that already?

Did .75 ounces of Galena @ 90 instead of .6 Nugget/Galena
And .25 ounce of US Tett instead of the Mt Hood

Deschutes :allears:

Edit: I also had a similar happy brew day last weekend. Brewed a Dunkel for attempt two with my grain mill. Made the crush a lot finer and nailed my expected numbers, so I'm pretty pleased. I'm also trying out the Yeast Bay's Franconian Dark Lager for this one. It's been fermenting away for a week and starting to slow a touch. Going to check gravity in a couple days and if it's close to FG, I'll start a slow rise to my diacetyl rest to finish it off before lagering.

Bonus points: I tried out something I'd heard mention of on a podcast, I forget which one, that was mentioning that mash temp is basically the perfect temp for making sous vide eggs. I tossed a couple eggs into plastic bags in case they broke and dropped them into the mashing after doughing in. Pulled them out at the end of the mash and grilled up some sausages and toast and had myself quite a tasty breakfast for little effort. I definitely recommend trying it.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 15, 2016

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

rockcity posted:

Bonus points: I tried out something I'd heard mention of on a podcast, I forget which one, that was mentioning that mash temp is basically the perfect temp for making sous vide eggs. I tossed a couple eggs into plastic bags in case they broke and dropped them into the mashing after doughing in. Pulled them out at the end of the mash and grilled up some sausages and toast and had myself quite a tasty breakfast for little effort. I definitely recommend trying it.

How did they turn out? I would like to try this some time! Just let them sit for an hour?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ScaerCroe posted:

How did they turn out? I would like to try this some time! Just let them sit for an hour?

Pretty good, although they were maybe a tiny bit under because I wasn't re-circulating my mash. I did move them around a few times during the mash, but I'm always hesitant to open my mash cooler too many times for heat loss. I think what I might do next time is shock boil them to set the outer white a little more. Still quite tasty though. They'd be awesome over a hash of some kind.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Brewing this morning! Actually, double brewing. First up, a saison. This afternoon, a milk stout, both for a competition in May.

Also racked off just under 8 gallons of stout that's been in a rye barrel. It's gone from being very one-dimensional (boozy) to a lot more complex (boozy and rich and crazy mouthfeel). All of this is getting bottled (we normally keg) and someone in this thread is going to get one once I have some other beer finished to send out.

Good use of a bank holiday if you ask me. :getin:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

nullfunction posted:

Good use of a bank holiday if you ask me. :getin:

Great use of a bank holiday.

I'm doing two brew days at the end of this week. My flirtation with Belgian style strong ales is over for the time being, and I need to make something I can drink that isn't approaching wine %abv levels. I'm doing a RIS that will go in my whiskey barrel and may do my London Porter recipe, a Rye Saison, or a Pale Ale this time. I'd love to do three brews, but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I tried to sneak another in.

Speaking of Pale Ales, does anyone have a good malt bill that they like? I have some Cascade and Summit I want to use, but I can never decide on a malt bill.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

Great use of a bank holiday.

I'm doing two brew days at the end of this week. My flirtation with Belgian style strong ales is over for the time being, and I need to make something I can drink that isn't approaching wine %abv levels. I'm doing a RIS that will go in my whiskey barrel and may do my London Porter recipe, a Rye Saison, or a Pale Ale this time. I'd love to do three brews, but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I tried to sneak another in.

Speaking of Pale Ales, does anyone have a good malt bill that they like? I have some Cascade and Summit I want to use, but I can never decide on a malt bill.

I have a red pale on tap now that I really like how the malt bill came out for.

5.5gal
9lbs 2 row
1lb Carared
.5lb Caramunich
.25lb Chocolate Wheat

Mine was a (mostly minus a dash of nugget for bittering) single hop with a formerly experimental hop, now named Idaho 7 that I got from Crosby Hop Farms when I visited. I also used a built up Conan pitch from a can of Heady Topper.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 15, 2016

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for that. I'll have to keep that one in mind, but I think I need something basic to start with for a PA, because it's the simplest and easiest to realize you've screwed up on the malt bill because there's not much to hide behind. So that's my goal here.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's an attachment I can get for my drill so that I can drive my cereal killer? I have a keyless drill, so I need something that can lock to the drive shaft. I'm not particularly familiar with construction tools aside from being able to use the basic ones.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

Thanks for that. I'll have to keep that one in mind, but I think I need something basic to start with for a PA, because it's the simplest and easiest to realize you've screwed up on the malt bill because there's not much to hide behind. So that's my goal here.

Incidentally, does anyone know if there's an attachment I can get for my drill so
that I can drive my cereal killer? I have a keyless drill, so I need something that can lock to the drive shaft. I'm not particularly familiar with construction tools aside from being able to use the basic ones.

My cordless drill will mount straight to it. I just go light and steady on the speed.

And yeah, that's sort of the strength and weakness of pale ale malt bills is that they're generally a simple malt bill, but can get really cluttered or cloying if you don't watch it. That's the only actual pale ale I've done, everything else has been an IPA. I mostly wanted to make something inspired by The Maine Beer Company's Red Wheelbarrow. Basically I looked at it like I wanted a malty bill with a touch of caramel and red color, so I went with caramunich and carared over more common Crystal malts to err on the malty sweetness rather than straight caramel.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I'm currently drinking one of the Secret Santa beers that I got from forums poster rockcity. It's an oak aged imperial stout called Stout at the Devil which is a very good name for this beer. He mentioned that it needed time to carb up, so I sat on it for a while. It's still flat though... but this is so good that it doesn't even matter. It's nice and viscous with a lot of oak presence that doesn't overpower the roasted notes. I get a wisp of a very light smoke flavor in the finish that perfectly complements the roasted character. And the bit of sweetness brings everything together. Lots of layers of flavor that work together very well. Been sipping it for about 10 minutes and it keeps me coming back. This is a really good beer. It reminds me of... and this is going to be some ridiculously high praise... Cellarmaker's Coffee & Cigarettes. Would definitely drink again. Good work dude!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm currently drinking one of the Secret Santa beers that I got from forums poster rockcity. It's an oak aged imperial stout called Stout at the Devil which is a very good name for this beer. He mentioned that it needed time to carb up, so I sat on it for a while. It's still flat though... but this is so good that it doesn't even matter. It's nice and viscous with a lot of oak presence that doesn't overpower the roasted notes. I get a wisp of a very light smoke flavor in the finish that perfectly complements the roasted character. And the bit of sweetness brings everything together. Lots of layers of flavor that work together very well. Been sipping it for about 10 minutes and it keeps me coming back. This is a really good beer. It reminds me of... and this is going to be some ridiculously high praise... Cellarmaker's Coffee & Cigarettes. Would definitely drink again. Good work dude!

Wow, that's really awesome to hear, thanks man! I had my second bottle of it a couple weeks ago too and it was maybe starting to get a tiny tinge of carbonation. I gave them all a tip upside down a few times to try to rouse things up. Next time I do one of these I am definitely pitching something really alcohol tolerant at bottling. I plan to try making it again this winter.

I'm curious if you've tried the black IPA or the espresso porter. Those two were keg filled and I've never kept one filled that way for over a week so I'm curious if they held up OK.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

rockcity posted:

Wow, that's really awesome to hear, thanks man! I had my second bottle of it a couple weeks ago too and it was maybe starting to get a tiny tinge of carbonation. I gave them all a tip upside down a few times to try to rouse things up. Next time I do one of these I am definitely pitching something really alcohol tolerant at bottling. I plan to try making it again this winter.

I'm curious if you've tried the black IPA or the espresso porter. Those two were keg filled and I've never kept one filled that way for over a week so I'm curious if they held up OK.

I drank the Black IPA right after I got the box. It was more of an English IPA than an American if I remember correctly. In either case I liked it. I drank the espresso porter about two weeks ago but I think something had gone awry. It wasn't totally bad, but I think maybe there was some oxidation or something. Maybe just a bad bottle. I don't know. Based on everything else I've tried, I'm sure it was fine at bottling time.

As far as the carb level on your stout goes, I brewed one that suffered a similar fate. It's been over two months and still no carbonation in the bottle even though I bottled it with champagne yeast. But I find that big stouts don't suffer that much from a lack of carbonation anyway.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
Pale ale talk:

I've found that I strongly prefer a simple dry pale ale. It gets too busy or too sweet fast.

Brickstone brewery APA is my favorite commercial one.

There is a recipe from homebrew talk for "Bee Cave" pale ale by Ed Wort that I've found to be a good jumping off point.

He uses 8lbs 2-row, 2-lbs Vienna and .5 lb crystal 10. His recipe is very light on hops, but you can go nuts if you want and the malt won't get in the way.

I've done it with and without the crystal and also subbed out the two row for Marris Otter. Less is really more for a pale ale.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I drank the Black IPA right after I got the box. It was more of an English IPA than an American if I remember correctly. In either case I liked it. I drank the espresso porter about two weeks ago but I think something had gone awry. It wasn't totally bad, but I think maybe there was some oxidation or something. Maybe just a bad bottle. I don't know. Based on everything else I've tried, I'm sure it was fine at bottling time.

As far as the carb level on your stout goes, I brewed one that suffered a similar fate. It's been over two months and still no carbonation in the bottle even though I bottled it with champagne yeast. But I find that big stouts don't suffer that much from a lack of carbonation anyway.

Yeah, my guess is it got bottled poorly and oxidized. It was pretty good off of the keg right up until it kicked around the new year.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Der Penguingott posted:

Pale ale talk:

I've found that I strongly prefer a simple dry pale ale. It gets too busy or too sweet fast.

Brickstone brewery APA is my favorite commercial one.

There is a recipe from homebrew talk for "Bee Cave" pale ale by Ed Wort that I've found to be a good jumping off point.

He uses 8lbs 2-row, 2-lbs Vienna and .5 lb crystal 10. His recipe is very light on hops, but you can go nuts if you want and the malt won't get in the way.

I've done it with and without the crystal and also subbed out the two row for Marris Otter. Less is really more for a pale ale.

I'm with you on this, though I like to hop burst/hop stand/whirlpool a big bunch of hops.

My go to is like 80% Base (Pilsner or 2-Row, and I've even base malted Vienna), some Vienna, and a splash of C30 for color. I've been doping mine with sugar to bump the ABV and dry it out a bit more.

There's nothing worse than a malty Pale Ale :colbert:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm with you on this, though I like to hop burst/hop stand/whirlpool a big bunch of hops.

My go to is like 80% Base (Pilsner or 2-Row, and I've even base malted Vienna), some Vienna, and a splash of C30 for color. I've been doping mine with sugar to bump the ABV and dry it out a bit more.

There's nothing worse than a malty Pale Ale :colbert:

That's how I did hopping on my last one. I used a touch at 60 min to bitter and then threw 3 oz of that Idaho 7 at it in the whirpool. Then dry hopped another 3oz. Came out nicely hopped but only an estimated 35 IBU.

Mine was definitely malty but not overly so. I hate when they get too biscuity/crackery.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rockcity posted:

Mine was definitely malty but not overly so. I hate when they get too biscuity/crackery.

This is exactly the problem I had when I tried to convert my Standard Bitter recipe from extract to AG. I used a bunch of Victory malt with no crystal and it just tastes too much. The bitterness wasn't quite enough for what I needed either. I just didn't use enough hops for it when I converted the recipe.

I have 1# C10 that I was going to use with some Maris Otter in a Summit EPA clone, so I may just make the clone and adjust the recipe from there.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Heating element just arrived from America. It looks like it will juuuust fit inside the keg I'm planning to convert, which is how it was looking on paper beforehand. This picture doesn't do a great job of showing that, nor does it show the mounting hardware I also bought along with it.

My design process is somewhat constrained by the fact I've never done BIAB before (just extract straight into the fermenter), so don't have a good idea of what potential annoyances I might create for myself with a design oversight. I was planning on grabbing this ball valve kit from eBay, how low should I place it? The vast majority of info on keggles I can find is for non-electric ones, so I'm not sure how it will jive with having the heating element in there. Since the element will run basically from one side to the other across the middle, I was assuming I'd want it at a 90 degree offset from that, as close to the bottom as possible. Does that make sense, or should I put it up a bit higher to help avoid trub getting through? Or would that not even be a thing since I'm only planning on doing BIAB in it?

Keg already came with this hole pre-drilled in the side, is 1cm diameter. Good place for a thermowell? I was planning to get a 240V STC-1000 controller and control the element with an SSR, so thought I would go with a temperature probe rather than a thermometer (also gonna use it for the occasional sous vide application). I was thinking I'd want as short a thermowell as possible just so it's not as annoying to stir and the bag doesn't get as hung up on it, does this 100mm SS BrewTech one look okay?

I figured I'd do the hole for the heating element directly below that, and then spin it 90 degrees and put my ball valve on the "front" with the thermowell/element off to the side. True, might be annoying if I later decided to replace the probe with a regular thermometer I'd want to look at while brewing, but since the ball valve and heating element are both 1/2" they could be swapped around easily enough. No plans for a sight glass.

Oops,, just realised that despite being a 240v country, 5500w is quite a lot, this thing will suck down ~23-24 amps, and the average outlet here is rated at *checks Wikipedia* 10A :downs: No idea where I'm going to be living next month but I kinda wanted something that wasn't going to be any dramas to plug in wherever I went, so guess I need to order a 2000-2400W element. Or just scrap this idea, get rid of the keg, and buy a Crown or Birko urn.

Anyone in Australia with a 25A+ circuit at their place want to buy a 5500W element for their brew kettle? :sigh:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 16, 2016

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think I've settled on this for a Pale Ale

9lbs Maris Otter
1lb C10
0.5lb Carafoam

I'll use Galena or Warrior for bittering and Cascade and Fuggles/Willamette for flavor and aroma.

This will be one of three beers I brew this weekend. I don't know if I love myself or hate myself. Too much rain lately where I don't want to stand and hold the cover over the kettle for an hour while boiling. And when it's not raining, it's all during the week when I can't brew. So this will go in this weekend as will a RIS and a London Porter (because it was just so yummy last time).

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

I think I've settled on this for a Pale Ale

9lbs Maris Otter
1lb C10
0.5lb Carafoam

I'll use Galena or Warrior for bittering and Cascade and Fuggles/Willamette for flavor and aroma.

This will be one of three beers I brew this weekend. I don't know if I love myself or hate myself. Too much rain lately where I don't want to stand and hold the cover over the kettle for an hour while boiling. And when it's not raining, it's all during the week when I can't brew. So this will go in this weekend as will a RIS and a London Porter (because it was just so yummy last time).

Fuggles in a pale ale sounds odd to me. Mostly because I don't think I've ever seen it used in anything that wasn't brown/black. Grain bill looks good. I like carafoam for helping with head retention without getting too sweet or malty. I put some in my Pilsner last year and liked how it came out.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Soooooo...

My Cascade field grade hop, second year centennial, and second year chinook are starting to put out shoots. Seems a little early but it's been constant 80 degrees and sunny in Texas the last 2-3 weeks.

Still waiting on the second year Columbus and field grade fuggle to show signs of life.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

Soooooo...

My Cascade field grade hop, second year centennial, and second year chinook are starting to put out shoots. Seems a little early but it's been constant 80 degrees and sunny in Texas the last 2-3 weeks.

Still waiting on the second year Columbus and field grade fuggle to show signs of life.

You're in Texas, I'm not really surprised that they're already growing. I had spring flowers open by the beginning of March almost every year I lived in Kentucky. I keep trying to get my mother to grow hops, but it's not cost effective for her to dry and ship them to me across the country. I told her I could come visit once a year and make many gallons of beer, but that didn't make the sale. I'm excited for the prospect of having a place to grow them here in Washington, mostly just for the prospect of having a bunch of fresh hops, not because they're in short supply here.

I'm excited to try Fuggles in a pale myself. It's supposed to have just a little earthy and minty flavor to it that I can never taste through the dark malts. Supposedly it pairs pretty well with the Cascade. I'll let you know how it turns out, but I'm not particularly worried myself. I don't think I'll dry hop with it, but I haven't really decided yet or not.

Edit: I just finished making a tiny starter so I could have some live fresh yeast to use to bottle a Tripel that's been conditioning for long enough that most of the yeast have cleared on out and died. There's been no fermentables for over a month, so I'm making a tiny little starter and have learned some wonderfully interesting things about Krausening and Speise that I'm going to just plan on doing this on all my big aged beers for the foreseeable future. It's too easy to not and it's better than having to buy some clean dry yeast that I wouldn't use otherwise.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 17, 2016

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Soooooo...

I just did some maintenance on my second year garden too and mine were just starting to show buds in Orlando. I need to start watering and also run up some new wires for growing up.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

rockcity posted:

Fuggles in a pale ale sounds odd to me. Mostly because I don't think I've ever seen it used in anything that wasn't brown/black. Grain bill looks good. I like carafoam for helping with head retention without getting too sweet or malty. I put some in my Pilsner last year and liked how it came out.

Ever had Orval? That's basically a pale ale with fuggles. Granted, it's a belgian pale with fuggles grown in Slovenia (Styrian Goldings), but still.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Biomute posted:

Ever had Orval? That's basically a pale ale with fuggles. Granted, it's a belgian pale with fuggles grown in Slovenia (Styrian Goldings), but still.

I actually haven't oddly enough. I see your point though. I think it's mostly just because to my memory, I don't think I've ever seen them in anything that wasn't a brown ale or a stout/porter. I'm not saying it would be bad, it just struck me as odd because I'd never seen it.

Nerd Grenade
Mar 27, 2010
Any tips on reducing foam in a kegerator? My temperature is good and so is the pressure as far as I know. I did a conversion to ball lock fittings but when it was using commercial kegs it poured fine. Any idea what the problem might be?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

Pretty good, although they were maybe a tiny bit under because I wasn't re-circulating my mash. I did move them around a few times during the mash, but I'm always hesitant to open my mash cooler too many times for heat loss. I think what I might do next time is shock boil them to set the outer white a little more. Still quite tasty though. They'd be awesome over a hash of some kind.

I actually have a sous vide unit at home, the Anova. Eggs are a fuckin black art I reckon, I've tried numerous temperatures and find about 66-67 Celsius is perfect for 90 mins, firm white and a yolk that is like gel. It's incredible, super smooth, rich and creamy texture. I've actually used the sous vide to mash a 1 gallon batch which helped step up a sour blend, it went really well. Sous vide owns. Next time throw a chicken breast in a bag in there, trust me, if you're mashing at 65 for an hour and a half, sear it over high heat with an oiled griddle just to colour it, then rest for 10. It's incredible

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Nerd Grenade posted:

Any tips on reducing foam in a kegerator? My temperature is good and so is the pressure as far as I know. I did a conversion to ball lock fittings but when it was using commercial kegs it poured fine. Any idea what the problem might be?

How long are your lines and what is the diameter? Also, serving pressure is largely relative to the previously mentioned specs. Could need to be as low as 8 psi or as high as 15 psi.

McSpergin posted:

I actually have a sous vide unit at home, the Anova. Eggs are a fuckin black art I reckon, I've tried numerous temperatures and find about 66-67 Celsius is perfect for 90 mins, firm white and a yolk that is like gel. It's incredible, super smooth, rich and creamy texture. I've actually used the sous vide to mash a 1 gallon batch which helped step up a sour blend, it went really well. Sous vide owns. Next time throw a chicken breast in a bag in there, trust me, if you're mashing at 65 for an hour and a half, sear it over high heat with an oiled griddle just to colour it, then rest for 10. It's incredible

I thought about giving that a go. I have a vacuum sealer already that I bought for hops. I figured eggs had less risk of being consumed if they were undercooked and that was what I'd heard someone mention on the podcast so I figured I'd give it a go. I might give chicken a try and check the temp when I pull it out to see how it goes.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I had a Fuggles pale somewhere; it was pretty good. go forth, goon! :eng101:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine is getting married in September (he is the guy I mentioned a few pages ago who is the worst homebrewer in America). He asked me to do a couple of kegs for his festivities. There's going to be a bunch of brewers there including a handful of pros, all of whom are bringing beers. Being the competitive soul I am, I'd really like to make the best beer there.

Wedding is happening at a lake resort in Mississippi in early September: probably hellaciously hot outside, and I have quite a bit of time. Most of the drinking will be outside to include the rehearsal dinner and the reception. There will be a lot of beer snobs and brewing folks there, but most will be casual beer folks. So what I'm looking for is good hot weather beer, that a wide variety of people will enjoy, abv probably below 7. I have a keg sleeve/chiller and party dispenser etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards my all citra pale ale as one selection:

Original Gravity: 1.064 Final Gravity: 1.018 ABV (standard): 6.02% IBU (tinseth): 58.91 SRM (morey): 12
American - Pale 2-Row 67.7%
American - Munich - Light 10L 18.5%
American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 4.6%
American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 4.6%
German - Melanoidin 4.6%

Citra Pellet First Wort
Citra Pellet Boil 10 min
Citra Pellet Boil 3 min
Citra Pellet Dry Hop 14 days

...but I'm open to any other suggestions.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Saisons are really great in hot weather too. You could citra hop that and get a nice lemon pepper character out of it.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d
That citra pale looks a lot like zombie dust by three Floyd's, which is delicious and would be a fantastic hot day beer.

I'd it were me I'd do a big juicy saison with Amarillo or mosaic, but mostly because that sort of thing is what I do most often.

I'd stick with what you know best if it's for a ton of people...

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I'm generally against using Citra in the boil. Maybe it's just the batch I got, but I've done 2 batches with a lot of Citra in them - one as a single-hop and one as a late addition (10min, flameout, and dryhop) and I've gotten the telltale catpiss flavors from it. Galaxy is similar, if not worse, in that regard.

From what I've gathered, Zombie Dust isn't even a Single Hop Citra beer, despite what they say.

If it was me, I'd find another hop for bittering and use the Citra as a hopstand and dryhop addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

rockcity posted:

Saisons are really great in hot weather too. You could citra hop that and get a nice lemon pepper character out of it.

Yep. bewbies, take that recipe there and hit it with 3711 and call it a day. You'll be very happy with the results.