Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Using a Michelle Fiore clip defending Voter ID laws is such a sweet gently caress you to slip in there. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

God bless New Zealand.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Steven Joyce clearly didn't think his tweet all the way through.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

njsykora posted:

God bless New Zealand.

John was so giddy for that segment.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

John was so giddy for that segment.

It was a politician getting hit with a dildo. There has never been a moment in this show's history where John was not more happy with the subject matter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

njsykora posted:

It was a politician getting hit with a dildo. There has never been a moment in this show's history where John was not more happy with the subject matter.

If only it was a member of Fifa or a former Italian prime minister.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Steven Joyce is NZ's Karl Rove, to contextualise things

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
That was amazing. I really can't think of anyone more deserving either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
John's mike drop at the end was perfection.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Dildo Baggins segment was great and the Scalia segment was also great, especially since it didn't descend into personal attacks on the guy who just died (even if he deserved it).
The voter ID segment was good with some great gags. I knew most of that stuff already even though I don't live in the US but the senate 'ghost voting' twist was new to me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I liked the video of them trying to press buttons like its some twisted game of whack-a-mole. Democracy gone wild.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

I liked the video of them trying to press buttons like its some twisted game of whack-a-mole. Democracy gone wild.

Well, it's the state legislatures doing what they do. What do you expect? There's a reason Jon Stewart called statehouses "the meth labs of democracy."

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Well, it's the state legislatures doing what they do. What do you expect? There's a reason Jon Stewart called statehouses "the meth labs of democracy."

Well, I mean, it's kind of a huge abuse of the process and should fall voting fraud which I believe is a 5 year sentence. Or does voting laws not apply inside state houses? What happens if a newly elected representative makes a huge stink out of someone else clicking his vote button?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Oh, I'm not agreeing with the process. It's just another thing that should remind us that there is a huge valley between the statehouse and the Congress of the United States.

As for why no one makes a big deal out of it... well, two things come to mind. One: most people, and I mean the vast majority of people, don't care to look up exactly what their representatives/senators vote on, which way they vote, etc., especially at the state level where legislators commonly run unopposed. And two--none of the legislators complain about it because when Tom votes for Dick and Harry, sooner or later, Dick and Harry return the favor for Tom and each other. Literally everybody does it.

Nobody who steals money out of the tip jar every day goes out of their way to make a stink about people stealing money out of the tip jar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tarlibone posted:

And two--none of the legislators complain about it because when Tom votes for Dick and Harry, sooner or later, Dick and Harry return the favor for Tom and each other. Literally everybody does it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're just pressing the buttons for their fellow party members who would have unquestioningly voted along the party lines anyway, it's more a symptom of laziness/overwork on those other guys not turning up than people stealing votes. Although I wouldn't be surprised if footage turned up of a legislator voting on behalf of absent legislators from the opposing party.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Dildo Baggins segment was great and the Scalia segment was also great, especially since it didn't descend into personal attacks on the guy who just died (even if he deserved it).
The voter ID segment was good with some great gags. I knew most of that stuff already even though I don't live in the US but the senate 'ghost voting' twist was new to me.
What makes Texas ghost voting particularly weird is that it happens across party lines. Dems ghost vote Republicans and vice versa. That was part of the clip from the original news report.

Also, the Texas legislature's session is very short anyway and most of them "serve" as a part time job. Just be on the loving floor and vote if you're barely working.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised that this sort of thing hasn't led to any fights.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I'm not agreeing with the process. It's just another thing that should remind us that there is a huge valley between the statehouse and the Congress of the United States.

As for why no one makes a big deal out of it... well, two things come to mind. One: most people, and I mean the vast majority of people, don't care to look up exactly what their representatives/senators vote on, which way they vote, etc., especially at the state level where legislators commonly run unopposed. And two--none of the legislators complain about it because when Tom votes for Dick and Harry, sooner or later, Dick and Harry return the favor for Tom and each other. Literally everybody does it.

Nobody who steals money out of the tip jar every day goes out of their way to make a stink about people stealing money out of the tip jar.

You're assuming that they aren't doing it maliciously.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

You're assuming that they aren't doing it maliciously.

No I'm not. I'm pretty sure it sometimes does get done maliciously, in fact. The reason that nobody complains about it in the statehouse is that everyone has done it at some point. It doesn't make it right, it just makes it hard to tattle.

Someone who posted above me indicated that it may not be malicious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even if you are just filling in someone's vote that would go along party lines, it's still malicious.

If the representative can't show up for their job, then their vote shouldn't be counted.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

tarlibone posted:

No I'm not. I'm pretty sure it sometimes does get done maliciously, in fact. The reason that nobody complains about it in the statehouse is that everyone has done it at some point. It doesn't make it right, it just makes it hard to tattle.

Someone who posted above me indicated that it may not be malicious.

Fair enough, I was referring to your mention of favors.

bull3964 posted:

Even if you are just filling in someone's vote that would go along party lines, it's still malicious.

If the representative can't show up for their job, then their vote shouldn't be counted.

Well, in a functional Democracy that isn't horrifically partisan and there is respect for the process parties will negotiate the outcome of a vote before it's actually cast. In Denmark that means that if someone from one side of the issue isn't able to show, someone on the other side will abstain so that the vote reflects the will of parliament.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Demiurge4 posted:

Well, in a functional Democracy that isn't horrifically partisan and there is respect for the process parties will negotiate the outcome of a vote before it's actually cast. In Denmark that means that if someone from one side of the issue isn't able to show, someone on the other side will abstain so that the vote reflects the will of parliament.

On the other hand, I bet Denmark never had one of their Senators beaten unconscious by a member of the House via cane for disrespecting South Carolina. You're not a real Democracy until your legislators sanctify the legislature with the blood of their fellow legislators.

Charles Sumner did craft a pretty good dis speech to get that beating though. Called the Senator from South Carolina an adulterer, called his mistress both ugly and promiscuous, then waited the exact and perfect number of comedic beats before turning it into a metaphor by saying her name was Slavery. Some hard core dissing in the parlance of 1856.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Okay I had to look that up.

"Charles Sumner posted:

"The senator from South Carolina has read many books of chivalry, and believes himself a chivalrous knight with sentiments of honor and courage. Of course he has chosen a mistress to whom he has made his vows, and who, though ugly to others, is always lovely to him; though polluted in the sight of the world, is chaste in his sight—I mean the harlot, slavery. For her his tongue is always profuse in words. Let her be impeached in character, or any proposition made to shut her out from the extension of her wantonness, and no extravagance of manner or hardihood of assertion is then too great for this senator."

:drat:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why voter ID was such a bad thing, or why getting an ID would be such a hassle

Turns out, and imagine my surprise when I learned this, it's US politicians keeping black and brown people down!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krowley posted:

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why voter ID was such a bad thing, or why getting an ID would be such a hassle

Turns out, and imagine my surprise when I learned this, it's US politicians keeping black and brown people down!

Yeah the thing about ID requirements is it's usually code for "A driver's license". The fact that people who don't drive tend to be low income is totally a coincidence, honest.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

And oops we closed the dmvs and reduced hours in the poor districts, pure coincidence.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Don't forget that even for the "free" voter IDs you can get the documentation you have to get to prove your identity for one is often not free, takes a lot of time to prepare, and often times requires... an ID.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

socialsecurity posted:

And oops we closed the dmvs and reduced hours in the poor districts, pure coincidence.

Only on the fifth Wednesday!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
This episode reminded me just how many people in the US don't have a frigging passport. The fact that you could be allowed to vote without a passport of a national ID card seems very strange and otherwordly to anyone in my country. In fact in my country you are obligated by law to have the national ID card.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Don't forget that even for the "free" voter IDs you can get the documentation you have to get to prove your identity for one is often not free, takes a lot of time to prepare, and often times requires... an ID.

The post 9/11 changes to what is required for an ID make getting one onerous as gently caress for lower middle class white people, let alone the poor. At least we can take comfort in the fact that terrorists can't use their fraudulent IDs as a central part of their plan, like when they [data insufficient] or that time that they [citation lacking] or [Teenagers still able to get fake IDs for beer, cigarettes, and entrance to clubs].

poo poo.

OhYeah posted:

This episode reminded me just how many people in the US don't have a frigging passport. The fact that you could be allowed to vote without a passport of a national ID card seems very strange and otherwordly to anyone in my country. In fact in my country you are obligated by law to have the national ID card.

Oh, friend. You so silly.

Now let me tell you about the New World Order, The Mark of the Beast, and United Nations Agenda 21.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 15, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OhYeah posted:

Shockingly, the same people demanding voter ID are also from the party that refuses to issues free federal ID cards. Because you see then the govt can track people more easily.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

The thing about passports in the US/Canada is that they're both HUGE countries compared to anywhere in Europe (I don't know where you live but I'm assuming Europe). So there's not nearly as much international travel happening compared to domestic travel - you can be on a flight for several hours and not actually have left the country, meanwhile in the EU a lot of people cross national borders every day just to go to work. I know that the whole purpose of the EU is that you DON'T have to go through cumbersome border checks all the time, but the point is that it's more of an attitude thing - in the EU it's a daily necessity; in NA you only get a passport if you're going on a trip.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I had a friend a few years back that didn't have a drivers license but wanted to vote so he used a fake ID that he had bought for booze to vote. It was easier for him to get a fradulent ID than it was a real one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've been to Canada plenty of times and not even needed to show a passport in either direction either. Passports are almost a luxury item in NA

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about passports in the US/Canada is that they're both HUGE countries compared to anywhere in Europe (I don't know where you live but I'm assuming Europe). So there's not nearly as much international travel happening compared to domestic travel - you can be on a flight for several hours and not actually have left the country, meanwhile in the EU a lot of people cross national borders every day just to go to work. I know that the whole purpose of the EU is that you DON'T have to go through cumbersome border checks all the time, but the point is that it's more of an attitude thing - in the EU it's a daily necessity; in NA you only get a passport if you're going on a trip.
The only equivalent would be if you had to cross a checkpoint and show an ID every time you went from one state to another. And you don't, so.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

M_Gargantua posted:

I've been to Canada plenty of times and not even needed to show a passport in either direction either. Passports are almost a luxury item in NA

You're not joking.

quote:

How much does it cost to get a passport? Fees are payable to the U.S. Department of State are as follows: New, replacement or renewal of a passport book: $110 if age 16 and older; $80 if under the age of 16.

In my country an "emergency" passport that you can get in less than 2 days costs around 65 USD if I remember correctly. The normal one costs around 45 USD.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It really depends on the system though. In Scandinavia there is no voter registration, everyone exists in a database through their social security number and a week before an election you receive your voting card in the mail. You show up your assigned polling place and show the voting card, they check your name against the sheet and you get a piece of paper and walk into your booth. The whole process is extremely streamlined (you have a specific table assigned on your card that has your name) and you're usually in and out in 5 minutes and it's all paper ballots. I think this is the system Bernie Sanders has mentioned as well because he talked about wanting to have everyone registered by default.

In the US people are still deathly afraid of the government and any attempt at standardized ID is somehow infringement. I don't really get it myself but whatever.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Quandary posted:

I had a friend a few years back that didn't have a drivers license but wanted to vote so he used a fake ID that he had bought for booze to vote. It was easier for him to get a fradulent ID than it was a real one.

What was the John Hughes film where the nerdy kid specifically has fake id for voting, not drinking?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

It really depends on the system though. In Scandinavia there is no voter registration, everyone exists in a database through their social security number and a week before an election you receive your voting card in the mail. You show up your assigned polling place and show the voting card, they check your name against the sheet and you get a piece of paper and walk into your booth. The whole process is extremely streamlined (you have a specific table assigned on your card that has your name) and you're usually in and out in 5 minutes and it's all paper ballots. I think this is the system Bernie Sanders has mentioned as well because he talked about wanting to have everyone registered by default.

In the US people are still deathly afraid of the government and any attempt at standardized ID is somehow infringement. I don't really get it myself but whatever.

This is the UK system as well, the electoral roll with postal voting as an option for people who can't or don't want to go to a polling station on election day itself. America has way more issues with voting than voter impersonation though, electronic voting is horrifically unsecure and prone to fraud. Here's a good video on a lot of the problems with the voting machines that America has, and which thankfully haven't spread too far. It's still extremely weird to me when I see election results declared with less than 10% of the vote having actually been counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

To be fair, if I lived in the states I'd probably also be highly skeptical about the US government and how it wants to gently caress me over yet again

• Locked thread