Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didn't tolkien hate people reading christianity into his work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
He hated people reading into his work in general.

Which is funny because Gandalf is canonically a literal angel sent by the God of Abraham to watch over mankind. You'd just never know that from reading his novels.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, I binge-read Daughter of Lilies, and it's pretty cool. It seems pretty obvious that they're going to push a persecution angle (the protagonist is hated on sight, there was a preacher waving around a book saying THIS IS THE TRUTH and people calling him crazy, etc) but it has yet to be seen how deep the rabbit hole this is going to go.

Best case scenario, this is a fantasy setting with strong Judeo-Christian flavoring, like so many other stories draw heavily on other religious or spiritual themes for their fantastical elements. Worst case scenario, I stop reading.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hell's pretty cool though. Maybe I shoud...

summon a demon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

He hated people treating them as a direct allegory.

Especially the idea of it being an allegory for the A-bomb.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
So SSSS might be picking back up with the action soon.

I think my favorite part about the past like two months of buildup has been flipping through the comments every update and seeing people try and rationalize how the death-spirits are totally friendly guys, honest. This is even after the author comments keep implying that poo poo is about to go south in a hurry.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

I didn't think to include a trigger warning of a cameo for a Abrahamic god because idk it didn't feature into it that heavily before, and I didn't know if it would be a big thing in the future.

Webcomics Thread 4: Trigger Warning: God

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steelion posted:

So SSSS might be picking back up with the action soon.

I think my favorite part about the past like two months of buildup has been flipping through the comments every update and seeing people try and rationalize how the death-spirits are totally friendly guys, honest. This is even after the author comments keep implying that poo poo is about to go south in a hurry.

Not to mention how Reynir, bless his sweet retarded heart, had a prophetic dream where one of the ghosts exploded his face.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Demon: Jimmy climbing over a pile of corpses to get over a wall is the image that sums up his entire life.

Minus the camel loving.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rangpur posted:

I just caught up with Daughter of the Lilies, after following the link posted earlier in the thread. I have a weakness for orcs in adventuring parties, you see. Neither the latest page nor the newspost bothered me. Her expressed admiration for Doug TenNapel, on the other hand, has me leery of future developments. Perhaps this is unfair on my part--he is by most accounts a talented artist and storyteller who doesn't let his faith run rampant over the plot. Unfortunately I'm unable to bring myself to read any of his work after discovering he was a godawful homophobe.

If it helps, she also mentioned Jason Brubaker as an influence. He was the guy who did remind (and others but that was the only one I've read) and while the christian elements are a bit more obvious now that its pointed out, I didn't find remind particularly preachy either. According to the post she just wants a good story. While there is clearly a religious undertone if she means that she wants the work to stand on its own and be enjoyable even if you aren't reading it solely for that kind of thing then that's fine.

A lot of people let their philosophy/politics/faith/whatever seep into their work and so long as they execute it well and don't let the story become just a vehicle to sell a particular viewpoint it often turns out fine. It's impossible to make a work that is entirely devoid of anything personal that might turn someone off or whatever. At least such a work would be very boring.

TenNapel says pretty awful, approaching Dave Sims (in offensiveness) level poo poo though so I don't blame you for being leery. I don't think your assessment is unfair at all in that respect. Doesn't mean this author is going to end up the same way though. Her comic seems good so far.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

TenNapel says pretty awful, approaching Dave Sims (in offensiveness) level poo poo though so I don't blame you for being leery. I don't think your assessment is unfair at all in that respect. Doesn't mean this author is going to end up the same way though. Her comic seems good so far.

I wasn't aware of TenNapel being a bigot and looked it up. I'm really sorry to hear he's like that. What a waste.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rangpur posted:

I just caught up with Daughter of the Lilies, after following the link posted earlier in the thread. I have a weakness for orcs in adventuring parties, you see. Neither the latest page nor the newspost bothered me. Her expressed admiration for Doug TenNapel, on the other hand, has me leery of future developments. Perhaps this is unfair on my part--he is by most accounts a talented artist and storyteller who doesn't let his faith run rampant over the plot. Unfortunately I'm unable to bring myself to read any of his work after discovering he was a godawful homophobe.

However the only tenet of faith expressed in Lilies thus far is "do not summon demons." I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt for now. She may not be the next Tolkien, but I can't begrudge someone wanting to make the attempt.

If you can't read something because the writer has some questionable views you don't agree with, then you'll have to stick to reading only your own Tumblr.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Does this whole religion thing seem to be doing a lot to stir up interest in Daughter of the Lilies? Because this is literally the first I've heard of that comic and I'll admit that I wasn't terribly interested in it, religious themes or no, because I'm pretty much tapped out on the whole post-d&d bog-standard fantasy genre.

Hogge Wild posted:

If you can't read something because the writer has some questionable views you don't agree with, then you'll have to stick to reading only your own Tumblr.

On the other hand, at least nobody's forcing people to support writers and artists they disagree with. If writers have their own beliefs and convictions then readers can too. If someone enjoys a work enough to set aside their own qualms about the creator of that work, that's their decision.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

Doug TenNapel's pretty vile tho.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

fritz posted:

Doug TenNapel's pretty vile tho.

Is he a pedophile? Has he raped or killed anyone? These aren't rhetorical questions, I don't know anything about the guy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tollymain posted:

He wrote 1028 pages of Lord of the Rings. If he wanted something read into the text, he would have put it there himself!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A.o.D. posted:

He wrote 1028 pages of Lord of the Rings. If he wanted something read into the text, he would have put it there himself!

You say that like it's a lot.

But I've lived through Homestuck. :fireman:

e/ I seriously can't remember what's going on in that anymore, and my enthusiasm is long dead. I'm still eager for it to wrap up though because I really want to see the final (actual and adjusted) word count.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 15, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hogge Wild posted:

Some people are just armed with a hatred for moral clarity.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
To be fair, most of the people in this thread live in America, which means that every year they have to spend months listening to Christians in the media pretend that they're being oppressed by Obama/war on christmas/Muslims/gay people/etc even though they make up 80% of the country. One can see why themes of religious persecution against Christians might be annoying to someone reading the comic.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

To be fair, most of the people in this thread live in America, which means that every year they have to spend months listening to Christians in the media pretend that they're being oppressed by Obama/war on christmas/Muslims/gay people/etc even though they make up 80% of the country. One can see why themes of religious persecution against Christians might be annoying to someone reading the comic.

I'm sure a Coptic with a healthy sense of irony would be :allears: over it.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

lmfao

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
There's a Kickstarter up for the first print volume of Wilde Life!. Really nice comic, gonna make a really nice book.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

You say that like it's a lot.

But I've lived through Homestuck. :fireman:

e/ I seriously can't remember what's going on in that anymore, and my enthusiasm is long dead. I'm still eager for it to wrap up though because I really want to see the final (actual and adjusted) word count.

Homestuck still isn't done?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
foolish goon, homestuck will never end

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

qntm posted:

Homestuck still isn't done?

It hasn't updated in about eight months, though we got a progress report recently. Supposedly it's going to wrap up on 4/13, but who knows.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Hasn't Homestuck been in development hell over its video game for like 3 years now?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Homestuck is a spiraling ouroboros death cult of a never-ending torment. It's basically internet purgatory for nerds at this point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pavlov posted:

Hasn't Homestuck been in development hell over its video game for like 3 years now?

The Kickstarter was funded in September 2012.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Pavlov posted:

The studio they contracted to develop it stole the Kickstarter money to develop the next King's Quest game, so the Homestuck dudes basically had to start the entire thing over from scratch.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

The studio they contracted to develop it stole the Kickstarter money to develop the next King's Quest game, so the Homestuck dudes basically had to start the entire thing over from scratch.

lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The news coming out of it is still pretty strange though, like I thought they were developing a NYC studio, but now it doesn't exist? But I have a friend who is working on the game, whose work is shown prominently, who has never been at any kind of physical studio?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Carrasco posted:

Supposedly it's going to wrap up on 4/13, but who knows.

We've been saying this every year since 2011.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Pick posted:

The news coming out of it is still pretty strange though, like I thought they were developing a NYC studio, but now it doesn't exist? But I have a friend who is working on the game, whose work is shown prominently, who has never been at any kind of physical studio?

NYC was the 3D studio, she's always been on 2D art assets for the most part, concept art, which is now more the baseline as the game is 2D instead of 3D.

I'm like 99% sure this is a mutual friend :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gally posted:

NYC was the 3D studio, she's always been on 2D art assets for the most part, concept art, which is now more the baseline as the game is 2D instead of 3D.

I'm like 99% sure this is a mutual friend :v:

Yeah we do, if you're the Gally I think you are :v:.

But yeah, I didn't realize the NYC was just for 3D.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hogge Wild posted:

I thought it was understood that meant "will not buy," but fair enough. I could have been clearer. You could have read TenNapel's work without divining his bigoted politics, which is rather to his credit. But I do know about them because he was very outspoken on the subject in a public forum. Maybe I'll look for one of his comics next time I'm in a library, but gently caress giving him money.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Knowing someone's politics can color your interpretations of people's work. It was a lot easier to read Lovecraft back when I thought he just had the ignorance of the time, and wasn't in reality racist even for the 1930s.

Suddenly all that ruminating about new england being a tiny bastion of sanity in a horrific alien world takes on a new meaning.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rangpur posted:

You could have read TenNapel's work without divining his bigoted politics.

It doesn't seem to be online anymore, but he had a webcomic a few years ago that had the main character getting mad about, I think, gay marriage right out of the blue.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
http://jessemoynihan.com/
To whomever suggested Forming, thank you. This poo poo is amazing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fritz posted:

It doesn't seem to be online anymore, but he had a webcomic a few years ago that had the main character getting mad about, I think, gay marriage right out of the blue.

Was it another comic than Ratfist? All I remember from the political ranting in Ratfist was some hamfisted greed-is-good libertarianism vs. evil corrupt incompetent Big Gubmint czars loving things up. The czar did wear a pink tutu, tough. But pretty soon TenNapel stopped updating Ratfist publicly and instead told people to buy the book to get the rest of the story, maybe the gay marriage thing happened afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

After binging Daughter of the Lilies I don't really mind if it's got some Christian influences. The bizarre alien angel/vision/aura/whatever is what gives me a good feeling; the people who remember how terrifyingly psychedelic and hosed up angels are supposed to be tend to be pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, as opposed to the White Jesus types. And I gave Kill Six Billion Demons a pass for being pretty heavily inspired by Buddhism and all.

And the main character isn't some Bibleman standin for Jesus, either. She's insecure and anxious and has no idea what she is or how her talents really work. If she's supposed to be Jesus then it's a hell of a fresh take on him instead of being another Aslan or Gandalf leader-type.

I still think she literally has No Face, though.

• Locked thread