Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

J Miracle posted:

Hell he killed the goblins 'giant ant after it was running free and was basically just a wild animal that wasn't attacking us. I'm pretty sure he did both of those things for the XP.

A DM giving XP for kills seems like a bad idea. Hell, a DM strictly tracking XP at all tends to be a bad idea. In a world where everyone is a mini-highlander that becomes more powerful whenever they kill someone, lovely behavior is to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bieeardo posted:

At the same time I'm envious of the groups who can pull them off, because as noted they're a hell of a thing when done well.
I am incredibly lucky in this regard. My current group is aces when it comes to poo poo like this. In our current Apocalypse World game, the Hoarder (SA's own selnaric) basically ended up stepping into the role of the villain for three sessions and it was loving AWESOME. But metagaming isn't a problem at all because we're super open about everything at the table, and everyone knows going in what the deal is. OOC conversations quite often feature quips like, "Hahaha, it would be so awesome if you killed me. That would make [insert other player's character X]'s story arc comedy gold."

I really should write the cat-piss AAR of this game, because it's fekking priceless.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Vanguard Warden posted:

A DM giving XP for kills seems like a bad idea. Hell, a DM strictly tracking XP at all tends to be a bad idea. In a world where everyone is a mini-highlander that becomes more powerful whenever they kill someone, lovely behavior is to be expected.

My buddy who is a more experienced DM has been pushing for the "waypoint" system or whatever its called. Also I'm pretty sure the XP would have been the same for successfully completing the encounter, but I'm not sure which I guess might be part of the problem.

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 12, 2016

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

J Miracle posted:

My buddy who is a more experienced DM has been pushing for the "waypoint" system or whatever its called. Also I'm pretty sure the XP would have been the same for successfully completing the encounter, but I'm not sure which I guess might be part of the problem.

Just have them level up ever 4-5 encounters. That's how 13th age (the campaign I'm running is a sort of deadlands weird-west inspired campaign) handles it, and I love it. No stupid tracking of XP.

As a GM I tend to be big on player agency, and I tend towards an "open world"/"sandbox" type view. I think if a PC wanted to do something drastically weird like secretly work for the bad guys I'd allow it, though I'd make sure it made sense in character, and that he'd have to do things that would at least give a chance of alerting other people (i.e. communicating with bad guys would need him sneaking away from the party, explaining where he's been etc.).

Nothing quite like that has happened. The closest thing was a PC told me secretly that he was going to sacrifice himself at a sort of "season finale" even though there wasn't technically a need (something could have been used in place, but he was not using it), because he wanted to try a new character.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bieeardo posted:

That last bit is the kicker. Internal betrayal and face turns are really powerful story elements, but ultimately when you're writing you only have one actor: the author. When you've got a bunch of wildcards around a table, it suddenly gets a lot, er, dicier.

Playing solely with friends, I've seen possessed cleric TPKs, stupid PCs get ratted out to the Feds, and players get angry when they were inevitably betrayed by their evil sugar daddies. The one time I agreed to pull a last-minute heel-turn for the GM's plot, the other players told me my character was lunch meat the next time we played. We didn't.

I don't agree with the aggressive metagaming described in earlier posts, but I understand where it comes from-- especially if it's accompanied by checking for secret doors and evil every ten feet. I'm likely to recuse myself from a game where it happens, if discussing things with the GM doesn't go well, because I don't like playing those scenarios and I really don't like what I've seen them do to otherwise reasonable players. At the same time I'm envious of the groups who can pull them off, because as noted they're a hell of a thing when done well.

I think that's hitting on the source of the backlash for a lot of people: a lot of the stories you hear about PC betrayals lead to character deaths or full TPKs and can wildly derail the personal or overarching plot of the game. It should really be treated the same way anything else that has a real possibility of character death or permanent damage is treated: it should only happen in games where all the PCs affected by it fully consent and understand how that can effect where the story is going

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So, I just ran a session for my 13th Age group tonight and you guys get story time tomorrow. Featuring corrupted elemental spirits ransacking the town, two lieutenants for the Prince of Shadows showing up and giving the party their hardest fight yet without doing anything themselves, and our Wizard reading some of the Chaos Mage's books. And finding out that while they're several hundred pages, they're Skyrim books. Short little synopsis with a lot of filler page. Despite the fact that he clearly -remembers- reading the several hundred pages of the books.

Lots of other highlights too, but those were the big ones. Oh, and the Chaos Mage melding with a shadow made from another shadow, and thus becoming more real. Despite the fact that neither of them existed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galick posted:

So, I just ran a session for my 13th Age group tonight and you guys get story time tomorrow. Featuring corrupted elemental spirits ransacking the town, two lieutenants for the Prince of Shadows showing up and giving the party their hardest fight yet without doing anything themselves, and our Wizard reading some of the Chaos Mage's books. And finding out that while they're several hundred pages, they're Skyrim books. Short little synopsis with a lot of filler page. Despite the fact that he clearly -remembers- reading the several hundred pages of the books.

Lots of other highlights too, but those were the big ones. Oh, and the Chaos Mage melding with a shadow made from another shadow, and thus becoming more real. Despite the fact that neither of them existed.
Your game is :catdrugs: and you should publish it as an adventure path.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ilor posted:

I really should write the cat-piss AAR of this game, because it's fekking priceless.

Doooo eeeeeet! :D

Galick posted:

Granted it's only quarter after ten in the morning, but this is the most awesome thing I've read today.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Yawgmoth posted:

Your game is :catdrugs: and you should publish it as an adventure path.

That has the issue that I'm making up this bullshit as I go :ssh:

And honestly the Chaos Mage and Wizard are amazing players and always give me something to work with. Writeup incoming after work.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Galick posted:

That has the issue that I'm making up this bullshit as I go :ssh:
Everyone does that; I meant it as "once your campaign has finished you should publish the completed run of it and make dozens of dollars on DTRPG."

I'd buy it.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I was told to post this poo poo in here, so here I go?

This is all from a very terrible roleplaying site https://www.stararmy.com. Whatever you do, don't go there.

quote:

[21:06] Kirkatan: I admit, I'm kinda selfish in what i'm doing in fleshing out Menelik's ethnocultural group. Because I'm always looking at scifi and it's always white as gently caress, so I figured "hey I could flesh out the site's fluff and setting more, do this thing that I like, -and- flesh out Menelik more"
[21:20] ShotJon: While dooming the race the to not be used as much because not many people want to play a black person. Not because they are racist, but just because it does not apeal to them.
[21:31] Luca: https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...
[21:31] Luca: Suddenly an enormous Phoenix Punch
[21:44] =-= Jim_AFK is now known as Jimmy
[21:44] Luca: WB Jim
[21:46] Kirkatan: People had no trouble playing asianish characters.
[21:48] Jimmy Not to mention that specifying something as the ONLY black nepleslians you can play is...rather limiting.
[21:50] Kirkatan: Oh is it now
[21:52] Luca: gets a stopwatch.
[22:07] Luca: hi Li
[22:07] -->| Li (WillLi0527@sorcery-qtlpgt.va.comcast.net) has joined #LSDFValta
[22:08] Kirkatan: ... A bit early on the gun
[22:08] Luca: still hit the target, didn't I?
[22:08] Kirkatan: No because Li didn't see it.
[22:09] Luca: well so much for a harmless joke - I once did it with Soresu and everyone thought I was a wizard.
[22:09] Jond: You aren't a wizard?
[22:10] Luca: Shh.
[22:10] Luca: Its a double-subversion.
[22:11] Kirkatan: ... Hey, Luca, am I doing something wrong by wanting to flesh out Menelik's ethnocultural and religious background? Because it's not something cool, like if it was vaguely asianish or based of something from europe"
[22:12] Luca: are you attempting to ask me a loaded question by saying that a african culture is not cool because you're implying asian and european cultures are 'cooler'?
[22:13] Luca: you sly motherfucker.
[22:13] Kirkatan: No, because Shotjon said that african and african diaspora stuff doesn't appeal to people
[22:14] Jond: Making a culture of black people for its sake is as bad as avoiding making one imo.
[22:14] Jond: Because either way its based solely on race and thats a poo poo-show.
[22:15] Kirkatan: I'm not making it just to say "hey look we have black people now"
[22:16] Luca: Flesh it out, by all means, try doing so in character instead of relying on wiki articles that'll be abandoned. Use it to make the character better.
[22:17] Luca: A lot of good culture stuff is unwritten in articles. Its bought in by characters
[22:17] Luca: like Tom loving Freeman. Poster boy for Ralt's culture.
[22:20] Lamb: " african and african diaspora stuff doesn't appeal to people"
[22:20] Lamb: With a few exceptions, I think that's true.
[22:20] Lamb: Zulu were pretty drat cool.
[22:22] Lamb: Many African cultures are sadly satisfied to avoid progress and practice what modern people might call 'brutal religions', however, and unless they changed would never make it to the modern era
[22:22] Kirkatan: ....
[22:22] Kirkatan: ...
[22:22] Lamb: South Americans have the same thing.
[22:22] Kirkatan: You know what I'm just going to leave for a bit before I start being impolite and offending you
[22:22] <--| Kirkatan has left #LSDFValta
[22:22] Lamb: I'm not offended
[22:23] Luca: blinks
[22:23] Lamb: I thought we were going to start talking about African cultures.
[22:23] Jimmy laughs.
[22:23] Jimmy >wants to talk about african cultures.
[22:23] Luca: let's be honest he's not got long before another gaffe and he gets his rear end banned. I give him freedom and goodwill and this is how he uses it.

quote:

01[19:28] <Kirkatan> What gets me is how people respond to Black Lives matter with "All Lives Matter"
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kirkatan, yeah.
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kirkatan, ugh, yeah
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> All lives DO matter Kirkatan
[19:28] <Jimmy> So, Kalshion|Kyle, can Bu'lla rip off his body suit and bask in the purity of his loincloth. "I am now ready to go to dinner."
[19:28] <Lunar_Rabbit> Er, Kalshion|Kyle AND Kirkatan.
01[19:28] <Kirkatan> No poo poo All lives matter, but that isn't the point of the BLM movement.
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What makes black lives so much more important?
[19:28] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The BLM is based off a lie - the whole 'hands up don't shot' was debunked a long rear end time ago
[19:29] <@Doshii_Jun> Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> And, if the BLM TRULY cared about black lives - they'd be in LA, Chitcago, and Detroit trying to stop all of the black on black violence
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> BLM exists purely because the black community is fed up with african americans having a dispraportionately higher rate of police related fatalities than other groups in the US.
06[19:29] * Lunar_Rabbit rubs her face.
[19:29] <AriegGamer> The BLM movement just seems to be another antag group wanting to be a noisy minority.
[19:29] <@Doshii_Jun> drat Germans.
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> Oh my god Kyle
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> jesus christ Kirk
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> please
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> They don't have a higher rate Kirk, whites are actually killed at a higher rate by police each year -,-
[19:29] <AriegGamer> Kirk: STOP BREAKING THE LAW ASSHOLES
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> please just...stop
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> You know what?
[19:29] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kalshion|Kyle, what you mean they don't :E There's a reason why the Baltimore riots happened, despite the arresting officers being black
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> You know what?
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> who's what?
[19:29] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What? :p
[19:29] <FrostJaeger> :v
01[19:29] <Kirkatan> I'm just going to shut up because black people don't know what we're talking about.
03[19:29] * Kirkatan is now known as KirkGone
[19:30] <Luca> what the?
[19:30] <Aendri> Wait, are we talking about how black people kill more blakc people than anyone else again?
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> something something dindu nuffin, something something /pol/
01[19:30] <KirkGone> something something chimp out
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> kill the poor, etc.
[19:30] <FrostJaeger> kek
01[19:30] <KirkGone> something something black on black crime
[19:30] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Kirk thinks that blacks are always the victoms of everything
06[19:30] * AriegGamer looks at Chicago.
06[19:30] * @Kalshion|Kyle looks at Chicago, Detriot, and LA, where blacks are killed in record numbers by THEIR OWN
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> Kalshion|Kyle, pls some source
[19:30] <Lunar_Rabbit> something something black people want more rights
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> FBI stats :3
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> link pls
[19:31] <AriegGamer> Want something really fun?
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> of course, admittedly, there is a chance those stats might be wrong. This *IS* the government we are dealing with
[19:31] <Aendri> Or, you know, Kyle, the cop who DID try to taser a 17 year old kid first, and was shot six times as a result?
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> R O N P A U L 2 0 1 6
[19:31] <Aendri> There's a reason cops are starting to shoot first. :/
[19:31] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yup
[19:31] <Lunar_Rabbit> B L A C K S G E T B U L L E T S
[19:31] <AriegGamer> The cop isn't obligated to save your rear end if your being a retard.
[19:31] <Aendri> All these drat movements have everyone looking for a problem, which makes more of a problem than there ever was.
01[19:31] <KirkGone> There's a reason the black community, as a whole, tends not to trust the police.
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> poo poo, I don't trust the police in my area anymore, and I'm loving Asian.
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> And our crime here is mostly white and latino.
[19:32] <Aendri> Because they tend to have more incidents of the arrestee assaulting the officer than any other race, Kirk?
01[19:32] <KirkGone> ..
01[19:32] <KirkGone> ...
06[19:32] * AriegGamer trusts the police in his area, but then again hes in a small town and knows a few.
06[19:32] * KirkGone opens his mouth
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Oooh.
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Oooh.
06[19:32] * KirkGone shuts it.
[19:32] <AriegGamer> Get a map of black neighborhoods.
[19:32] <@Kalshion|Kyle> I.. wasn't expecting Aendri to say that
[19:32] <Lunar_Rabbit> where are these sources
[19:32] <AriegGamer> And then get the crime dot map and overlap them.
[19:32] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Lunar_Rabbit, not everything is based on stats and such - some is based off experience
[19:33] <Lunar_Rabbit> kek
[19:33] <Aendri> My Godfather was a cop, who ened up making Captain. He was shot while making arrests twice, and assaulated plenty of times. I tend to believe him when he tells me what he saw.
[19:34] <FrostJaeger> ^this
01[19:34] <KirkGone> So you're saying that everything the police do to african americans and other minorities is justified.
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> NEver said that
[19:34] <Aendri> Especially since he is easily the least racist man I have ever known. :/
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Do not put words in our mouths
[19:34] <FrostJaeger> mhm
[19:34] <Aendri> No, I'm saying if you go looking for a problem, you find one.
[19:34] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What we are saying Kirk is that Blacks - just like Whites and every other ethical group - are not perfect
[19:34] <Aendri> Whether or not it was there when you started.
01[19:34] <KirkGone> No loving poo poo we aren't perfect.
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yes, except you continue to ignore the problems in your own community and isntead prefer to blame the police for everything
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> When a black kid fires on officers and they return fire? What do you do? Blame the police officer, not the kid.
[19:35] <AriegGamer> This entire issue: http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/61718444.jpg
01[19:35] <KirkGone> that better not be dindu nuffin
[19:35] <@Kalshion|Kyle> What I just said is the common, COMMON theme I see practically all the time
01[19:35] <KirkGone> Holy poo poo what the gently caress am I on /pol/
[19:35] <Aendri> Interesting note, did you know that in general, proportionally speaking, african american cops are more likely to use their service weapon?
01[19:36] <KirkGone> Lunar Rabbit, you're cool.
[19:36] <Lunar_Rabbit> KirkGone, we've been on /pol/ for a long time :V
[19:36] <AriegGamer> Kirk this is practically Pol.
01[19:36] <KirkGone> The rest of you? holy poo poo I expected better of each and everyone one of you.
[19:36] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Oh I'm sorry, you expected us to turn a BLIND EYE to the problems we see daily?
[19:36] <Jimmy> HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG
[19:36] <Aendri> Really? Despite you shittalking us consistently?
[19:36] <AriegGamer> Glad to disdapoint.
[19:36] <Lunar_Rabbit> KirkGone, https://40.media.tumblr.com/33502407ae5b819b9c37bb639290fcf0/tumblr_nz4zhdw54s1smzsrfo1_500.jpg best part is it's from Tumblr
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> SHERMAN WAS A WAR CRIMINAL
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> STATES RIGHTS
[19:37] <Aendri> Lunar, there's a difference between recognizing a problem, and creating one.
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Sorry, but I'm realist, if I see a problem in a community I can *AND WILL* point it out until its fixed
[19:37] <Lunar_Rabbit> MUH CONFEDERATE FLAG
[19:37] <Aendri> No, the justice system isn't right as things stand.
[19:37] <AriegGamer> Oh god no it isn't.
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Justice system is crewed up the rear end
[19:37] <AriegGamer> Especially the for profit ends of it.
[19:37] <Lunar_Rabbit> Race realism? :3
[19:37] <@Kalshion|Kyle> XD
[19:37] <FrostJaeger> lel
[19:37] <AriegGamer> And the fact its to small to handle the work load.
[19:37] <Aendri> But attacking cops, the by FAR grand majority of whom are doing their job as best they can, is stupid.
[19:38] <AriegGamer> Because the cops can and will shoot back.
[19:38] <Aendri> And SHOULD.
01[19:38] <KirkGone> I agree that the majority of Cops are fine
[19:38] <AriegGamer> And they don't cant their guns to the side.
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> If you think a cop is violating your rights, you handle it in court, you don't fight them or resist arrest
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell, *I DID* after all
01[19:38] <KirkGone> What I don't agree with is saying that the problem therein lies in the black community wholeheartedly
[19:38] <FrostJaeger> ...
[19:38] <AriegGamer> A good chunk of it does.
[19:38] <Aendri> Nobody has said that, Kirk.
[19:38] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Arieg did :3
[19:38] <Aendri> But groups like BLM ARE the problem.
[19:38] <FrostJaeger> (aside from Arieg)
[19:39] <Aendri> Just as much as the cops are.
[19:39] <FrostJaeger> who has said that?
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell, groups like BLM, the CBC, and others >_>
[19:39] <Aendri> Because they're just building tensions.
01[19:39] <KirkGone> I can understand where BLM is coming from
[19:39] <AriegGamer> You can only blame the system so much until you look at yourself and discover your own culture is loving you in the rear end.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> BLM members I see aren't ghetto thugs wanting to shoot your white rear end.
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The ones in my nighborhood are -,-
01[19:39] <KirkGone> Because holy poo poo the black community has a very long history of getting generally treated like poo poo by the police.
[19:39] <Aendri> Those people also tend to be the minority that aren't the ones causing problems in the first place.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> R A C E R E A L I S M
01[19:39] <KirkGone> And before that? We were slaves.
[19:39] <Lunar_Rabbit> Take a trip down LAPD and even white people have a huge issue with them and the LASD.
[19:39] <Aendri> Congratulations, Kirk.
[19:39] <@Kalshion|Kyle> KirkGone, NEWS FLASH Whites were slaves as well!
01[19:40] <KirkGone> Holy poo poo you're actually saying rig-
01[19:40] <KirkGone> ...
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> In America?
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Did you know one of my distant ancestors WAS a slave?
[19:40] <Aendri> Great job removing any real basis you had for your argument.
[19:40] <AriegGamer> Slavery isn't an excuse anymore.
[19:40] <AriegGamer> To many generations removed.
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Oh and do you know who his master was? A BLACK MAN.
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> >my ancestors were slaves destoys my argument
01[19:40] <KirkGone> There's a huge loving difference between various forms of slavery, such as indentured servitude and the like, and Chattel Slavery.
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> So do not give me that loving slavery bullshit
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> ...
[19:40] <Lunar_Rabbit> it's black pride month :3c
01[19:40] <KirkGone> And yes, there were black and mulatto slave owners.
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> kirk
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> son
[19:40] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Hell the first slave owner in the US was black >_>
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> sit
[19:40] <FrostJaeger> down
01[19:41] <KirkGone> And yes, African kingdoms along the slave coast did participate in the slave trade; but that was a trade driven by european demand
[19:41] <Aendri> Okay, no. This argument just needs to end. It's not doing anyone any good.
01[19:41] <KirkGone> And Chattel Slavery is a particularly specific kind of evil.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Wrong.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Very wrong Kirk
[19:41] <FrostJaeger> plz don
[19:41] <Aendri> Everyone, drop it.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> The slave trade between African tribes was going on long before then
[19:41] <FrostJaeger> *plz don't feed the troll Kyle
[19:41] <Aendri> Nobody is gaining anything from this, just drop it.
[19:41] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Yea, your right, I'm talking to a brick wall.
[19:41] <Lunar_Rabbit> >slavery is ok because blax did it
[19:41] <Lunar_Rabbit> C U C K E D
[19:42] <Aendri> Kyle, hush.
[19:42] <Aendri> Lunar, stop.
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> Meow
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> :<
01[19:42] <KirkGone> Yes, it was, but the very specific "holy poo poo what the gently caress" slavery we got out of the Triangular Trade was something entirely different
[19:42] <AriegGamer> So.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Tentacle monsters.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Go.
[19:42] <FrostJaeger> :3
[19:42] <Aendri> Kirk. Stop.
[19:42] <Luca> they're monsters, with tentacles.
[19:42] <DragonNova> Oh my. Is five spewing racist nonsense again?
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> TENTACLE MONSTERS!
[19:42] <FrostJaeger> Yep
01[19:42] <KirkGone> holy poo poo what.
[19:42] <Aendri> DN. No.
01[19:42] <KirkGone> No, seriously, what, you're calling me racist here.
06[19:42] * @Kalshion|Kyle uses tentacles to screw around with DragonNova
[19:42] <@Kalshion|Kyle> :3
[19:42] <Aendri> Kirk, shut up. Now.
[19:42] <AriegGamer> Kirk go away we don't want you here.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It took me some tries to parse that gigantic text-wall, but yeah, alright, that's some cat-piss.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Is that a game that just looks like a lovely IRC discussion with garbage people.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, it's awful but the second conversation has nothing to do with RP

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What the gently caress is this and why did you feel the need to post this garbage in here?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Seriously, that's for the Debate and Discussion board, keep it away from our Elf stories.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's funny because just recently I was talking to a grognard friend of mine who complained that one of the players at a recent 2e game had random-rolled a 4 Intelligence and used it as an excuse to be a huge disruptive dick and got the party in a lot of trouble by basically antagonizing powerful people and they spent most of their session dealing with the fallout, which pissed everyone off. I told him that as a DM I would have ruled that before the words came out of his mouth he would vanish from existence like Marty was doing in Back to the Future because he was clearly too stupid to make it to adulthood.

My take is that the group needs to gel on expectations for tone and premise of the campaign. Are we doing a dungeon crawl or feudal politics? That sort of thing. If the player just has a premise mismatch with the character and the campaign they should change it. I actually had one of my long-running players do this to himself in my Feng Shui game because he knew that was my stance. He just couldn't justify the character's desires with the campaign's direction so rather than throw a huge hissy fit or be disruptive he rolled up a new guy no problem and said he might bring the other guy back when it gelled more with what he wanted (and I promised to try to move things in that direction after the current arc was resolved).

Another thing you can do as GM is remind the player that somebody who behaves like they do would never have made the life decisions to get into their current professions/situation in the first place. A guy who murders fleeing dudes does not become a priest in a good guy church. That sort of attitude speaks to an entire mindset that leads to you being the bad guy inquisitor that the good guys take down halfway through the campaign (in fact that player pretty much sounds like your boilerplate sympathetic bad guy - his clan was murdered and now he's snapped and gone over to the dark side) A guy who jumps at shadows and OCD checks every square for traps doesn't go adventuring in the first place. etc. etc.

You don't have to be a dick to RP bad stat rolls. I had a berserker once with a similarly low INT once. Yeah, I spoke in broken barbarian speech. And, ummmmm, yeah, it was disturbingly easy to use him as a fire and forget weapon if you leaned upon reminding him of his family and their history (all the males have been berserks). OTOH, he was willing to go to great lengths to protect his friends/those he perceived as being innocent and helpless and he knew enough to keep his mouth shut when weapons were holstered. (I didn't say 4 WIS now, did I?)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My PC's party went within the last 12 in-game hours from being esteemed guests of honour at court to captives sentenced to death for (involuntary) regicide to instigators of a violent uprising of the underclass against the oppressive social order to hightailing it out of the burning city on top of a sweet brontosaur. All in all a good day's work, I'd say :v:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Last session my warlock and the party barbarian found a group of cultists trying to capture a pack of velociraptors. We killed all but one of them (who I had magically befriended), then found out that the raptors can speak Common. So we made friends with the raptors and led a good chunk of the cultist crew into a raptor/warlock ambush. The ship tried to sail away, but I flew on board and magically compelled the helmsman to turn back around with the magical suggestion of "I'm the captain now." We get the raptors on board and, through a fantastic knowledge (nature) roll of mine, teach the raptors how to man the ship.

We're now headed towards the mysterious dense jungle island, the second of three fairly close islands that said cult is reportedly operating out of.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

We get the raptors on board and, through a fantastic knowledge (nature) roll of mine, teach the raptors how to man the ship.

I hope you at least said "clever girl" when one of them figured out how to steer the ship or rig a sail. I would also accept "life finds a way."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the_steve posted:

Seriously, that's for the Debate and Discussion board, keep it away from our Elf stories.

Well, this guy has nowhere to post then since Debate and Discussion told him to come here. D&D nerds being weirdos that outright reject the idea of a cool and powerful African-inspired culture in their elfgames and then blame the black guy for not tolerating their unbelievably lovely opinions is maximum cat piss, really.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The chat logs need the worst lines bolded or just to be summarized, really.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I don't know, that's a pretty skewed gaming talk to just generic lovely racism ratio

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The first log is definitely the kind of cat piss we've discussed in the past in threads like F&F. The second one is a noxious icing made of blinkered racism.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Kavak posted:

The chat logs need the worst lines bolded or just to be summarized, really.

Don't make the poor goon bold the whole post man.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

J Miracle posted:

I hope you at least said "clever girl" when one of them figured out how to steer the ship or rig a sail.
Naturally. I'll be amazed if we get through this thing with less than a dozen Jurassic Park references.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
I hope they were (marginally more) scientifically accurate raptors.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fivemarks posted:

I was told to post this poo poo in here, so here I go?

This is all from a very terrible roleplaying site https://www.stararmy.com. Whatever you do, don't go there.

That's not a gaming experience, it's a bunch of random weirdos being racist tangentially linked to rpgs because it's on some crappy scifi irc

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dilb posted:

I hope they were (marginally more) scientifically accurate raptors.

Try as I might (with that comic in fact), they are JP-style velociraptors.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey I'm trying to roll a good social justice warrior, any suggestions?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Play the "tumbling jester" bard from the D&D 5e Unearthed Arcana. Name yourself Tumblrina.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

haha sooo using this

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Baloogan posted:

Hey I'm trying to roll a good social justice warrior, any suggestions?

An AD&D 2nd edition fallen paladin. After your transition from Lawful Good to Neutral Good due to doing something good that wasn't Lawful Stupid, you lost your paladin status and class features. Now, you lead the fight against the corrupt Patriarchy of your church to force them to recognize that you and your "fallen" brethren are no less paladins than you were before.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Preechr posted:

An AD&D 2nd edition fallen paladin. After your transition from Lawful Good to Neutral Good due to doing something good that wasn't Lawful Stupid, you lost your paladin status and class features. Now, you lead the fight against the corrupt Patriarchy of your church to force them to recognize that you and your "fallen" brethren are no less paladins than you were before.

Isn't it your deity who decides that you've hosed up, not the faith itself?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kavak posted:

Then clearly God is wrong. :colbert:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Kavak posted:

Ah, but you see, the deity is a construct of the cis-good orthodoxy. It is only once the Patriarchate has been smashed that the faith can collectively better itself and reshape its deity into what It is meant to be.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't you ever get tired of rehashing the same "jokes" for like 5 years

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, honestly?

"You fell because Your God said you shouldn't have done the thing."
"Then God is wrong." :black101:

is actually a pretty loving rad concept for a fighter/fallen paladin.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ran a one shot of Monster of the Week last night, it went pretty well I think. OK, so this has kinda a convoluted backstory but hang in here with me.

Our cast was:
Eli Ross, The Expert, a monster hunter who works for what is basically the BPRD. Just wants to make sure everyone gets out alive. Appeared on TV a few times.
Doomguyx53a, The Flake, basically a paranoid hacker who Eli knew through some online conspiracy sites. Nobody knows his real name, so everyone just calls him by his forums name, Doomguyx53a.
Jimmi Gage, The Mundane, a salesman who just got involved because he was the only one with a car
Daniel McElroy, The Expert, middle management in some shadowy government organization. Was a NPC but then a player joined halfway through the session and took over. Hates Eli, really wants a promotion.

The basic setup was this, Daniel's has a brother name Raymond. Raymond recently moved in a creepy mansion with his wife, Mary, and their daughter Katy. Mary is convinced the house is haunted. Raymond, who knows enough about his brother's job that he could pull some strings, ask Daniel to bring in those weird monster hunting guys to come in investigate. The home's previous owner was Dr. Ellis, a egyptologist who went crazy and appeared on an ancient aliens type of show. He hanged himself, so that is who Mary think is haunting the place.

Neither Daniel or Raymond think the house is actually haunted. So Daniel just brings in Eli, since he is the most famous member of the BPRD like organization to calm Mary down. Eli contacts Doomguy cause he knows he is a local and thinks he can provide transportation and be a helping hand. It turns out Doomguy is kinda a loser and lives with his brother, so they have to get Jimmi to drive them.

Our characters arrive at the mansion and ask some questions to Mary (hears sounds in the cellars, objects are going missing, sometimes sees shadows darting around the property), Raymond (just thinks Mary is insane, is an rear end in a top hat) and Kasey (seen same stuff as Mom, but mentions electronic items seem to be what goes missing the most, doesn't think its a ghost, mentions the dog seems to oddly paw at the floor sometimes.) They check out the cellar and hear knocking and moaning sounds, but really there doesn't seem to be anything overtly paranormal going on at this point, so they just decide to stay the night. Eli sleeps in the cellar while everyone sleeps up stairs.

During the middle of the night Eli wakes up to see a shadow in the corner. He turns his flashlight on and discovers Daniel there, looking for something. Its at this point Daniel is revealed to have an ulterior motive. Dr. Ellis apparently was working with some shady research and development group within Daniel's organization. Ellis' notes were never found and Daniel suspects they are still somewhere on the property and that Ellis was murdered to cover something up. He talked his brother into buying the place when it went on the market in the hopes that one day he could pop in and search the place. He got incredibly lucky when Mary started thinking the place was haunted because it gave him an excuse to come over and "investigate". Daniel thinks if he finds the notes, he will net himself a promotion.

Also its right after this point our 4th player suddenly came in, so they took over for Daniel right after this all was revealed.

Kasey suddenly starts screaming. She is upstairs in her room. Doomguy and Jimmi who were sleeping on the 1st floor run up there. She is pointing out the window. Something... is heading towards the back door. Jimmi and Doomguy head downstairs and stand guard by door. Its one of those sliding glass doors. Jimmi brings out his flashlight and shines it towards the things direction. He immediately drops the flashlight though, and only gets a brief glimpse at the thing. It looks all white.

Daniel and Eli arrive at this time. Its at this point the figure gets close enough to the house that they can clearly make out the thing. I turn my laptop around and show my players this image:

Eli immediately runs outside and just tries to clock the mummy. He ends up getting strangled for his trouble and Daniel has to intervene to save him. Eli jumps back inside the house and locks the door. Eli has forgot it was a glass door. A fight ensues.

They eventually light the thing on fire killing it, but not without first horribly scaring Kasey who was in the crossfire. The family is traumatized. Jimmi is convinced it wasn't a mummy, just a man. Eli is pissed at Daniel for everything. Everyone is shouting, everyone is yelling, then they hear the knocking again. And this time a screech.

Our party than eventually puts together a few things. 1: The gazebo in the backyard where Jimmi had a smoke at earlier before all this poo poo went down was recently built. They ask Raymond about it, and he says he built it to cover up some ugly grate. 2: A few of Dr. Ellis' things are still in the attic. They find some of his books on Egyptology he wrote before going completely crazy, a few alien conspiracy books he wrote when he went crazy, and a key. The party puts two and two together and realizes that the grate underneath the Gazebo must lead to a lab.

They head over there, open up the grate, and dropped into a tunnel. At the end of the tunnel there is a door which the key they found opens. Inside is a bunch of file cabinets (Dr. Ellis' notes Daniel is after), a computer, an empty sarcophagus, and a thing that looks like a sarcophagus but is green and glowing. Reading the notes it turns out Ellis found something. Something that made him crazy. He brought it back, and our players assume its this weird green glowing sarcophagus. They check his computer and the last entry mentions that there seems to be something alive in there.

Besides the entrance they came in, there are two other doors in this room. They open the first one, and they find what looks like a flying craft of some sort. Its built out of junk and the stolen electronics from the mansion. They figure out that the tapping sound is coming from this craft and that its trying to send out a signal.

They open the other door. I turn my laptop around and show my players this image

A fight breaks out. Eli gets his head cut off, Doomguy is generally heroic, and Daniel ends up caving its head in with a hammer.

With the threat did they manage to put everything together. Ellis found some sort of hidden tomb in Egypt with the green glowing sarcophagus. It contained a hibernating alien. The aliens did actually help the Egyptians built the pyramids. The mummification process is actually something the aliens taught to the Egyptians as well, that let them served as mindless servants after death. Ellis didn't realize the alien was still alive. At a certain point it work up, and controlled the mummy and strangled him. The alien then exited the sarcophagus and began building its junk UFO, sending out the mummy to get poo poo. Eventually the McElroy family moved in.

Daniel gets the Ellis notes and all the other evidence, besides the junk UFO he gifts Doomguy to keep his mouth shut about everything that happened here.

Guy gets a bit famous for the junk UFO, he claims he built itself. Since its made out of crap its not too horribly impressive, just hovers off the ground a bit. Jimmi is a totally broken man after what he has witnessed and just retires to some beach. Daniel gets his promotion and is put in charge of a new international task force to handle this "alien" threat, named XCOM.

One day as Guy flies around in his UFO he hears the taping again and realizes they never did took out what was sending out that signal. Guy looks up. There is a UFO overhead, several in fact, and they are not made out of junk. The invasion force has arrived.

tl;dr
what appears to be a haunted house turns out to be an alien and a mummy. also the game somehow turn into an origin story for xcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Just finished up a mage: the ascension session where we accidentally released a trio of umbrood (war spirit, succubus, and Sid of the night) while building various foci etc. We're doing the long game of starting as neophytes and using M20, a reboot game for the reboot/anniversary.

The key note to take away was the discussion on the Etherite's rpg - rat propelled grenade.
He's trying to make an emp-bomb, for gently caress technocracy reasons, using Forces 2 and a node we have gained access to. This is mechanically impossible using the limited spheres he has, but IC/OOC split so trying it anyway. Backup plan is to make a lightning cannon, forces 2 enhancing existing electricity, but he's trying to incorporate the spirit nitro (quintessence, aka go-go magic juice) into it somehow, having been told it's a form of magic fuel. It doesn't burn, but we know that people/spirits can drink it, so he hypothesized feeding it to a rat and then... burning the rat? No. Having the rat run on a treadmill after being amped up? Maybe.

The final draft was injecting the rat with a cocktail of quintessence, caffeine, and cocaine/amphetamines, then pushing/launching it out of a tube-cannon before all 1 billion of its lifespan of heartbeats are spent at once and its heart explodes in a flesh/bone-shrapnel magic grenade manner. Some kind of double-action injector/ACME spring, and a grenade attached onto it to make it look Coincidental magic, kindof like using an atomic bomb to detonate a hydrogen bomb.

The RPG, rat-propelled grenade.

Other variations proposed by the table were a piece of cheese on a string at the end of the cannon, so the rat runs out of it towards the cheese at supersonic speeds and launches itself that way.