Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Christian Lobby: government has met us over gay marriage 'no' campaign

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby, Lyle Shelton, has said changing the definition of marriage may cause some people to think he is gay, as he revealed that the organisation has been approached by the government to discuss the “no” campaign of a same-sex marriage plebiscite.

Shelton was asked on Sky News on Sunday night how allowing same-sex marriage would affect his own marriage.

“If the definition of marriage is changed, it’s no longer assumed ... that I’m married to a woman. So that affects me straight away,” he said.

“So you’re worried that people may think you’re gay if the law changes?” host Patricia Karvelas asked.

Shelton replied: “They may or may not, but certainly the terms of my marriage have changed, and of the millions of other marriages in Australia”.

The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), an organisation vocally opposed to changing the definition of marriage, partly due to the argument that children need both a mother and a father, has been approached to discuss its role in a potential plebiscite on the issue, Shelton said.

“We’ve had some initial discussion,” he said. “The government has reached out to us and some other groups in this space.”

Last week attorney general George Brandis told Senate estimates that consultations have started with stakeholders on a possible plebiscite. Shelton has confirmed with Guardian Australia that the ACL has been part of that consultation process.

“We’re thankful for that conversation,” he said. “We have every confidence that this will be a fair process.”

But the ACL has warned against truncating the process, after suggestions that the plebiscite could be held as early as October.

“I think people need time to realise the importance of changing the definition of marriage,” he said. “An October plebiscite would be a surprise ... It seems an unrealistic time frame.”

The prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has committed to holding the $160m plebiscite if the Coalition wins the next election, despite being personally for marriage equality.

Brandis is due to take a proposal on the mechanisms of the vote, including if it is binding on Coalition MPs who are against same-sex marriage, to cabinet for approval shortly.

Labor says a plebiscite is unnecessary and has pledged to hold a vote on the issue within 100 days of winning office.

Despite the outcome of a plebiscite, parliament will still need to vote to remove restrictions in the Marriage Act that limit marriage to being between a man and a woman.

Shelton wants the no campaign to be funded in the same way that the yes campaign is funded.

“I would expect that equal funding would be provided to both sides as there is to any normal referendum, or in this case, plebiscite,” Shelton said.

“It’s got to be fair debate and I think, more importantly, people from our side of the debate have got to feel free to speak without being labelled as haters or homophobes or bigots. That’s been really tough in this whole thing. None of us want to see that ugliness in this debate. We want to be respectful to the other side, but we want to be able to be free to be able to speak about why marriage should be retained as between a man and a woman.”

Jason Tuazon-McCheyne, a candidate for the Australian Equality party, said neither side of the campaign should receive government money.

“I’m against public funding ... equally, no funding,” he told Sky News.

He thinks a plebiscite will be divisive and dangerous for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) communities.

“I think a fear campaign is very, very easy to sway people’s minds. People don’t understand [the issues], necessarily,” he said.

Tuazon-McCheyne said that the government should fund more counsellors and psychologists to work during the plebiscite campaign, citing already high numbers of suicides or attempted suicides by members of the LGBTIQ communities.

Shelton labelled that “terrible emotional blackmail” and said that the no campaign has “respectfully” put forward its case until now.

“No one is saying that same-sex couples can’t be good parents. Of course they can,” Shelton said.

He said the next logical step in the debate would be about assisted reproductive technology, like surrogacy and in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).

“I’m not sure we have had a proper community debate on this,” Shelton said. “I’m with the global feminist movement because I want a ban on all surrogacy. It’s inherently exploitative of women.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/15/with-gay-marriage-people-could-think-im-gay-says-christian-lobby-head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Head of the ACL posted:

i'm gay

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Need a Nordic model for surrogacy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Christian Lobby: government has met us over gay marriage 'no' campaign

The head of the Australian Christian Lobby, Lyle Shelton, has said changing the definition of marriage may cause some people to think he is gay, as he revealed that the organisation has been approached by the government to discuss the “no” campaign of a same-sex marriage plebiscite.

Shelton was asked on Sky News on Sunday night how allowing same-sex marriage would affect his own marriage.

“If the definition of marriage is changed, it’s no longer assumed ... that I’m married to a woman. So that affects me straight away,” he said.

“So you’re worried that people may think you’re gay if the law changes?” host Patricia Karvelas asked.

Shelton replied: “They may or may not, but certainly the terms of my marriage have changed, and of the millions of other marriages in Australia”.

The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), an organisation vocally opposed to changing the definition of marriage, partly due to the argument that children need both a mother and a father, has been approached to discuss its role in a potential plebiscite on the issue, Shelton said.

“We’ve had some initial discussion,” he said. “The government has reached out to us and some other groups in this space.”

Last week attorney general George Brandis told Senate estimates that consultations have started with stakeholders on a possible plebiscite. Shelton has confirmed with Guardian Australia that the ACL has been part of that consultation process.

“We’re thankful for that conversation,” he said. “We have every confidence that this will be a fair process.”

But the ACL has warned against truncating the process, after suggestions that the plebiscite could be held as early as October.

“I think people need time to realise the importance of changing the definition of marriage,” he said. “An October plebiscite would be a surprise ... It seems an unrealistic time frame.”

The prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has committed to holding the $160m plebiscite if the Coalition wins the next election, despite being personally for marriage equality.

Brandis is due to take a proposal on the mechanisms of the vote, including if it is binding on Coalition MPs who are against same-sex marriage, to cabinet for approval shortly.

Labor says a plebiscite is unnecessary and has pledged to hold a vote on the issue within 100 days of winning office.

Despite the outcome of a plebiscite, parliament will still need to vote to remove restrictions in the Marriage Act that limit marriage to being between a man and a woman.

Shelton wants the no campaign to be funded in the same way that the yes campaign is funded.

“I would expect that equal funding would be provided to both sides as there is to any normal referendum, or in this case, plebiscite,” Shelton said.

“It’s got to be fair debate and I think, more importantly, people from our side of the debate have got to feel free to speak without being labelled as haters or homophobes or bigots. That’s been really tough in this whole thing. None of us want to see that ugliness in this debate. We want to be respectful to the other side, but we want to be able to be free to be able to speak about why marriage should be retained as between a man and a woman.”

Jason Tuazon-McCheyne, a candidate for the Australian Equality party, said neither side of the campaign should receive government money.

“I’m against public funding ... equally, no funding,” he told Sky News.

He thinks a plebiscite will be divisive and dangerous for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) communities.

“I think a fear campaign is very, very easy to sway people’s minds. People don’t understand [the issues], necessarily,” he said.

Tuazon-McCheyne said that the government should fund more counsellors and psychologists to work during the plebiscite campaign, citing already high numbers of suicides or attempted suicides by members of the LGBTIQ communities.

Shelton labelled that “terrible emotional blackmail” and said that the no campaign has “respectfully” put forward its case until now.

“No one is saying that same-sex couples can’t be good parents. Of course they can,” Shelton said.

He said the next logical step in the debate would be about assisted reproductive technology, like surrogacy and in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).

“I’m not sure we have had a proper community debate on this,” Shelton said. “I’m with the global feminist movement because I want a ban on all surrogacy. It’s inherently exploitative of women.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/feb/15/with-gay-marriage-people-could-think-im-gay-says-christian-lobby-head

lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The fact that that's the best thing they can come up with to support the "no" side is hilarious. The plebiscite should be a wipe out.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If women can vote, when I vote are people going to wonder if I'm a woman?

EDIT: I've voted in the past, let's not go changing the definition of voting because it changes this thing that I hold very dear.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Amethyst posted:

The fact that that's the best thing they can come up with to support the "no" side is hilarious. The plebiscite should be a wipe out.

And yet it doesn't matter if twenty-six million people came out to vote 'let them marry you loving pillocks', it wouldn't cause anything to happen. That's the lovely part of this plebicite, it's not a matter of anybody winning or losing, because we already know the result, that if it wins they'll ignore it. It's just a question of if it's going to be frustrating or depressing.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 15, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That a plebiscite is even on the cards is a disgrace.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Morrison: Negative gearing your “one chance to build wealth”

Mr Morrison has been leaving clues about the changes he wants to make to tax breaks for Australians who invest in property.

He has attacked Labor’s policy — under which only new properties would be able to be negatively geared after a proposed 2017 introduction — saying everyday mum-and-dad investors would be hurt.

He told 2GB radio this morning that two–thirds of people are taking advantage of negative gearing have a taxable income less than $80,000, while 70 per cent of people only negatively gear one property.

“[Shadow treasurer] Chris Bowen thinks everyone who’s on negative gearing is on a rort,” he said.

“He thinks they’re big property barons and you’ve got to go and tax them and slam.

“Well, for most middle-income people it is the one chance they’ve got to build some wealth."

And there it is, the Property Council mindset writ large, where Mr Morrison used to be head of research.

This is either an admission of how completely distorted our economy is and therefore is an argument in favour of the Labor reforms, or it is a totally inappropriate (not to mention wrong) attitude for a Treasurer given it privileges a single asset class and its beneficiaries with whom he has a long association.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2016/02/morrison-negative-gearing-your-once-chance-to-build-wealth/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

That a plebiscite is even on the cards is a disgrace.

Eh. Our politicians are spineless, but a positive plebiscite will be something worth celebrating, just like it was worth celebrating in Ireland. Let's make the best out of it instead of moaning through the whole thing, maybe.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Isn't it extremely obvious that they intentionally privilege property over other types of investments? It's not like negative gearing is the only policy like this.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Amethyst posted:

Eh. Our politicians are spineless, but a positive plebiscite will be something worth celebrating, just like it was worth celebrating in Ireland. Let's make the best out of it instead of moaning through the whole thing, maybe.

Our politicians are already well aware of public sentiment on the issue. If they wanted to make it a proper referendum and alter the constitution then it might be worth celebrating.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

The Irish referendum was binding and actually removed the constitutional discrimination against same sex marriage. Here, it'd obviously be worth celebrating, but it would really only confirm what most of us already know. It wouldn't be binding at all.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

The Irish referendum was binding and actually removed the constitutional discrimination against same sex marriage. Here, it'd obviously be worth celebrating, but it would really only confirm what most of us already know. It wouldn't be binding at all.

Ok but I don't think even the coalition would be brazenly stupid enough to hold a plebiscite and then just flat out ignore it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Amethyst posted:

Ok but I don't think even the coalition would be brazenly stupid enough to hold a plebiscite and then just flat out ignore it.

I imagine they'd say "okay the plebiscite passed but there are other things to consider, etc, etc, etc", spend a million years consulting with the ACL so we don't end up offending too many homophobes, and then MAYBE get around to it before the next election as a nice vote-booster.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mithranderp posted:

I imagine they'd say "okay the plebiscite passed but there are other things to consider, etc, etc, etc", spend a million years consulting with the ACL so we don't end up offending too many homophobes, and then MAYBE get around to it before the next election as a nice vote-booster.

They would then lose the election by a huge margin.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

open24hours posted:

Our politicians are already well aware of public sentiment on the issue. If they wanted to make it a proper referendum and alter the constitution then it might be worth celebrating.

Even in that case, a referendum could only give states and territories the power to pass legislation concerning local definitions of marriage, it couldn't ammend the Federal Marriage Act, because that ain't a part of the constitution. So there'd still be no gay marriage in Queensland 'til 2116

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Couldn't they take the power to legislate away from the states at the same time? Or make it illegal for a state to have a marriage act that excludes same sex couples?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

open24hours posted:

Couldn't they take the power to legislate away from the states at the same time? Or make it illegal for a state to have a marriage act that excludes same sex couples?

Yeah, we could put same sex marriage in the constitution. It'd be a loving stupid idea, but it's not physically impossible.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It would be a waste of resources sure, but the plebiscite already is. Having it in the constitution wouldn't actually lead to any foreseeable problems though, would it?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Wow.

"My holy book forbids it, and I believe everybody should follow its' rules"

Was that so hard? That is the most insane response to same sex marriage I think I have ever heard. Except maybe that pastor who said if he got invited to one he'd stand at the entrance smearing himself with poo poo.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Plebiscite Question:
"Should we let gays ruin the beautiful tradition of marriage and then what's next polygamy, bestiality?"

Drafted by Cory Bernardi.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

open24hours posted:

If there manages to be a change to the Federal Marriage Act, then it wouldn't matter what the States had in theirs. Federal law trumps State law.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott "Negative gearing is what separates us from the peasants" Morrison.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"He told 2GB radio this morning that two–thirds of people are taking advantage of negative gearing have a taxable income less than $80,000,"

I wonder if that low, low taxable income is as a direct result of negative gearing.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If George brandis isn't a giant vagina then he will recommend passing a bill beforehand to amend the marriage act to support gay marriage that only comes into effect upon a successful plebiscite. Since he is a stupid face he will come up with something dumber.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Should be more plebiscites imo.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Wow.

Was that so hard? That is the most insane response to same sex marriage I think I have ever heard. Except maybe that pastor who said if he got invited to one he'd stand at the entrance smearing himself with poo poo.

I would't agree that it's an insane response. In fact, it's a distillation of exactly why most religious organisations are against changing the Marriage Act. Biblically, it says a man and a woman shall join together and become one flesh - ie, marriage is to be solely between a man and a woman. Now, of course, there wasn't supposed to be divorce either, but that came in with Moses and has flowed through ever since.

I also take exception to the blanket idea that "against marriage equality = hatred/homophobia etc etc". Just because we may not agree with the change for reasons of our firmly held religious belief does not mean that we want to burn everyone else at the stake. Well, it certainly shouldn't at any rate. I personally think that there should be a separation of the secular and religious issues here - in a secular society, which arguably we are, rather than a theocratic state or similar, I can see why there should be marriage equality. Just don't expect most religious organisations to agree, nor to be willing to enact same-sex weddings.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

People who are against changing the definition of marriage (or think that people can't override God's word no matter what the law says) but aren't homophobic probably wouldn't waste their time trying to stop it though.

VVVV Yeah, there's a pretty solid argument to be made that you can't be a Christian of that type and not be homophobic. It's baked into the religion.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 15, 2016

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
If you're excluding a group of people from something based solely on their sexual orientation, that is homophobia.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zenithe posted:

Wow.

Hoooooold up, I'm going to need a link for this!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

chyaroh posted:

I would't agree that it's an insane response. In fact, it's a distillation of exactly why most religious organisations are against changing the Marriage Act. Biblically, it says a man and a woman shall join together and become one flesh - ie, marriage is to be solely between a man and a woman. Now, of course, there wasn't supposed to be divorce either, but that came in with Moses and has flowed through ever since.

I also take exception to the blanket idea that "against marriage equality = hatred/homophobia etc etc". Just because we may not agree with the change for reasons of our firmly held religious belief does not mean that we want to burn everyone else at the stake. Well, it certainly shouldn't at any rate. I personally think that there should be a separation of the secular and religious issues here - in a secular society, which arguably we are, rather than a theocratic state or similar, I can see why there should be marriage equality. Just don't expect most religious organisations to agree, nor to be willing to enact same-sex weddings.

What do you call someone who is against granting certain categories of people rights then?

If I don't want black people to vote because of my religion how can you possibly describe that with a word that isn't "racist".

Similarly, if people want to exclude gay people from the right of marriage how can you possibly describe that as anything but homophobic?

EDIT: I don't personally like going to church and have no interest in going to church myself, however I recognise that someone choosing to go to church doesn't hurt anybody else so I don't try to make laws that other people shouldn't be allowed to.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 15, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hoooooold up, I'm going to need a link for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the smiley face bit.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Zenithe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the smiley face bit.

That was wonderful, thank you

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

chyaroh posted:

Just because we may not agree with the change for reasons of our firmly held religious belief does not mean that we want to burn everyone else at the stake. Well, it certainly shouldn't at any rate.

It's actually just the institutional baseless discrimination, that's the really really bad, hateful part. You don't need to literally set someone on fire to be in the wrong

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

You don't need to be a bigot to be against gay marriage, but on the venn diagram there's a bloody big overlap.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

burn this loving heretic

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Ian Macfarlane, the former cabinet minister who unsuccessfully tried to defect from the Liberals to the Nationals, will bow out of parliament at the next election.

Suck it you shilling piece of poo poo.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I politely and from a place of love and value, denounce miscegenation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Ian Macfarlane, the former cabinet minister who unsuccessfully tried to defect from the Liberals to the Nationals, will bow out of parliament at the next election.

Suck it you shilling piece of poo poo.
I've met the dude in a professional capacity and I don't hate him quite that vehemently*. Is there a personal incident behind the invective?

* I think he's a despicable poo poo smear (just to be clear).

• Locked thread