Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Werecreatures will spread their curse via biting, which is the real problem with them. If you can, avoid them until the full moon passes and they turn back into a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So here's what I've been working on, I just made first contact with the local goblin civilization in the form of babysnatchers. I think I might be the last outpost of my civilization (no trade liaison). I have two full squads of military that are almost entirely made up of conscripted goblins from a local elven civilization that I suppose has been at war with the goblins. I built a fortress called "PerplexedAbbey" near a sea of human blood. It is a small wood and jet block structure that belies the giant cavernous temple of Lir the Call of Yelling that hides beneath the surface.

Here's a picture of the temple.

And here's what it looks like topside.

It's been pretty quiet so far. Not even a werebeast or whatnot to speak of. A troglodyte invasion and a few construction accidents account for almost all of my deaths.

Dreggon posted:

hi

its been ages since ive had one of these and i dont have a military or anything. how do i work out how much of a threat this is without throwing dwarves at it? (i dont have a lot of dwarves)

Alll of the threat. It is all of the threat. It will tear through your dwarves like paper. It is not a forgotten beast it is a were-creature, so it will infect whoever it doesn't kill and they will become werelizards as well. I usually recommend setting up a pe(n) full of war dogs at your fort entrance. They might be able to kill it, many of them will die, but in the end it's better than losing a fort.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
From my experience werebeasts are tough enough to kill any non-military dwarves in a couple of seconds. The recommended strategy is to get everyone inside until it turns back to humanoid and/or leaves since any dwarves it bites are probably going to turn as well unless you micromanage their death. I wouldn't really recommend throwing your military at it in case they get bitten.

Oof, that was from last page. Well, the point stands.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Werebeasts have 90% damage resistance to every form of physical harm excepting that caused by one metal that you can only suss out in Adventure mode. Batten the hatches and hide, he'll only hang around hulking out for a few weeks at most.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

scamtank posted:

Werebeasts have 90% damage resistance to every form of physical harm excepting that caused by one metal that you can only suss out in Adventure mode. Batten the hatches and hide, he'll only hang around hulking out for a few weeks at most.

oh he leaves? as long as no migrants show up (they're going to) i dont mind just putting everyone inside and chilling

Aug 24, 2011

he's actually human right now, does that mean he's vulnerable or should i still hide

i could try throwing a migrant wave at him if its full of fishermans or some poo poo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That means he's in soft and fleshy mode! SWARM THE FUCKER

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If a werebeast in human form hurts a dwarf, will he still be infected?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

steinrokkan posted:

If a werebeast in human form hurts a dwarf, will he still be infected?

Does this post have ridiculous amounts of whitespace for anyone else?

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Pay close attention to the area under the avatar

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dreggon posted:

dwarves get really loving angry when birds fly overhead

everyones all vengeful because some keas wont piss off

just remembered they steal poo poo as well, i better make some crossbows

does lava still travel fast or can i avoid sacrificing a dwarf?

also i have a diplomat in my fort, he has met with my leader but now he's just pissing around and not leaving. what's going on?

mod in cockatoos then maybe the dwarves have an excuse to get mad

also how do i get rid of muddy floors, will they just dry up and get clean themselves eventually if the water flow's cut off?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gibbo posted:

Thank some idiot with too much cash on their hands.

Aug 24, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

mod in cockatoos then maybe the dwarves have an excuse to get mad

also how do i get rid of muddy floors, will they just dry up and get clean themselves eventually if the water flow's cut off?

is there a way to make a certain enemy attack fingers specifically

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

0lives posted:

Pay close attention to the area under the avatar

Jesus shouldn't retarded poo poo like that be disallowed? It's one thing to buy a stupid avatar for someone but when it disrupts everything else.

I am angry about whitespace

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 14, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just put him on ignore like what everyone else does

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Do you folks bother assigning book keepers or managers? Also whats the situation with bins? I keep hearing they are buggy and should be avoided. The wiki has a couple of tips on when to and when not to use them but are there any other rules?

Spanish Matlock posted:

So here's what I've been working on, I just made first contact with the local goblin civilization in the form of babysnatchers. I think I might be the last outpost of my civilization (no trade liaison). I have two full squads of military that are almost entirely made up of conscripted goblins from a local elven civilization that I suppose has been at war with the goblins. I built a fortress called "PerplexedAbbey" near a sea of human blood. It is a small wood and jet block structure that belies the giant cavernous temple of Lir the Call of Yelling that hides beneath the surface.

Here's a picture of the temple.

And here's what it looks like topside.

It's been pretty quiet so far. Not even a werebeast or whatnot to speak of. A troglodyte invasion and a few construction accidents account for almost all of my deaths.

I like your fort! You should post some more screenshots. These kind of views are really cool. Is that a 2x2 embark or does stone sense have a limited draw distance?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

FalloutGod posted:

Do you folks bother assigning book keepers or managers? Also whats the situation with bins? I keep hearing they are buggy and should be avoided. The wiki has a couple of tips on when to and when not to use them but are there any other rules?

I start with a bookkeeper and get him going early. Once the initial stock is booked the future updates are practically instant. Managers I use to add demands from royalty quickly.

I use bins in some of my Finished Goods stockpiles, but only at the end of a production chain when they're ready for use. And the input sources to those stockpiles are very close so the bin doesn't have to move far, which prevents most issues.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The dwarven caravan that was stuck around that wouldn't leave because all their wagons had gone missing left after I deconstructed the Trade Depot. I also got to keep all their stuff! That also meant migrants began returning to my fort so it solved two problems at once. First fort is doing fine thanks to three waves of migrants that replaced those slain by the werejackal plague and a goblin siege that caught too many dwarfs outside, I'm almost back to pre-disaster levels and the guys I do have are much better broken up via their skills than before. Next I'm going to try to make some fancy traps, including the "Doberman Bomb" from the wiki.

What cool stuff can you do with animals? I've gotten some thanks to trading and so far all I've done is set them in pens outside where they get killed whenever a raid is happening, but it sounds like some of the animals will die if i put them in a zoo. Is there any good strategy for keeping outside animals alive?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

What cool stuff can you do with animals? I've gotten some thanks to trading and so far all I've done is set them in pens outside where they get killed whenever a raid is happening, but it sounds like some of the animals will die if i put them in a zoo. Is there any good strategy for keeping outside animals alive?

If you've broken through to the first cavern layer you can pen them underground on a soil layer. Before I've done that I butcher them if fully grown, otherwise they'll die to invasions or whatever and be lost meat.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

FalloutGod posted:

Do you folks bother assigning book keepers or managers?
Yes. Absolutely. The Manager in particular is one of the most important dwarves in the fortress. With them you can just use the job manager to order the creation of a bunch of poo poo, and they'll sign off on it and get it going. This stops you from having to individually manage each and every bloody workshop.

The Bookkeeper is also essential, since they are used to determine how much poo poo you actually have, and allow you to then find individual items (You can't do that until the bookkeeper has pinned down how many you actually have for some reason), so if you want to find where some soldier dropped that adamantine shortsword when he was killed, you can use the stocks menu to find it (Especially useful if the item is forbidden on death and thus not placed in a stockpile).

Aug 24, 2011

some cool tips that i should remember next time i do my fort

1) bring lots of seeds
2) you don't need to embark with an engraver, by the time you need one you'll have migrants
3) you don't need to spend points on mining or woodcutting, both of them level very quickly
4) if you embark with lots of food make a food stockpile at the start of the game so it doesn't all rot

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dreggon posted:

1) bring lots of seeds

I start with 10-15 of each underground seed, more than that is unnecessary. If you find yourself running out of seeds make sure cooking with that plant is disabled (cooking doesn't return seeds, brewing and eating them raw do).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dreggon posted:

1) bring lots of seeds
4) if you embark with lots of food make a food stockpile at the start of the game so it doesn't all rot

Are these 2 related to the reason you're starting a new fort :v:?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gibbo posted:

Jesus shouldn't retarded poo poo like that be disallowed? It's one thing to buy a stupid avatar for someone but when it disrupts everything else.

I am angry about whitespace

Usually a mod or admin will change avatars like that when they notice.

Aug 24, 2011

Leal posted:

Are these 2 related to the reason you're starting a new fort :v:?

no that's the night beast currently attacking

necrotic posted:

I start with 10-15 of each underground seed, more than that is unnecessary. If you find yourself running out of seeds make sure cooking with that plant is disabled (cooking doesn't return seeds, brewing and eating them raw do).

i started with about 21 of each but i have 4 growers because i want all the food

e: gently caress the lizardman moves like lightning, he's going to tear the poo poo out of my dwarves including one of my original 7

i hope i can wall him out without losing too many people

e2: she just killed one of my guys then immediately left. rear end in a top hat

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 15, 2016

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Dreggon posted:

i started with about 21 of each but i have 4 growers because i want all the food

I have more than enough with just one farmer, though I embark with ~15 of each plant too. I don't go for multiple farmers until the third or fourth migration wave, depending on how big they are.

I have enough to make roasts to trade with when the first caravan comes. I buy out all the food stuffs to remake whatever I traded plus more.

Four farmers seems like a lot for a start.

Aug 24, 2011

my leader dwarf took over a mason's workshop, made a hatch cover (?) out of native copper, and is now a legendary... miner. what?

e: a migrant wave just doubled the number of dwarves i have. now the 1000+ logs my woodcutter cut in 5 minutes can start going into my fort where they belong

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 15, 2016

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Hatch covers are like doors that you put on the ground. You can use them to cover staircases. Due to pathing weirdness, if a creature can't path around a locked hatch cover, it can't smash the hatch cover from below. A locked hatch cover over the only stairs into the caverns is invincible.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

FalloutGod posted:

I like your fort! You should post some more screenshots. These kind of views are really cool. Is that a 2x2 embark or does stone sense have a limited draw distance?

Sure! I'll talk about my fort. AFAIK the size of the area stonesense represents can't be changed. It's actually a 4x4 embark.

Anyway:

Here's my world, Ilussil, the Everseeing Planes.

The year is 784. As you can see, goblins have prospered in a huge way, although maybe not how you'd expect. It seems like one of the human civilizations, the Nations of Healing, was overrun by goblins who adopted ideas about honor and duty, while simultaneously causing the humans to adopt their views on insane violence and eternal warfare. So the biggest conflicts in the world right now are between essentially goblin assholes who stab you in the front, and goblin assholes who stab you in the back.

Anyway, the Nations of Healing, who we'll call "The Free Goblins" have joined the rest of the world in attacking the Witch of Roofs, which is an evil goblin civilization run by a Panda Demon.

The whole world is essentially a hellscape. I wasn't kidding about that ocean in the middle there. It is a region where it rains human blood. Giant lice dance and play in the copper-colored surf. :iit:

Now, on top of that we also have my civilization, which is known as "The Cyrstal of Assemblies", our symbol is two masked lovebirds. We've had a real hard time of it. There used to be a goblin civilization called "the Ferocious Spiders" but we killed all of them. Like, all of them except for one guy, who sits on a throne by himself somewhere pretending like he's still a civilization by himself. Unfortunately, all of our fortresses and towns were sacked and destroyed as well. So right now there's just two sites left in my empire.

There's this one, Immortalityboot, which is a camp of barons and other royalty who have escaped the sacking of their cities. They're just sort of hanging out near a mirthful wood waiting to retake what we used to own.

And then there's us, PerplexAbbey. I'm carving us out a new capital city hidden underneath an unsuspecting rest stop next to the aforementioned horrifying ocean. No one will suspect it!

Our symbol is the bugbat, because individually we are weak, but as a swarm we will de-flesh a cow in seven seconds! Or something!

This is the front gate. I'm starting work on a fishing dock, because apparently fish like to swim in blood. You can also see the trading depot where I sell off the stupid trogolodytes and unicorns that wander into my cage traps.

This is the inn, "The Joining of Lemons" that operates as the front for our more secret endeavor. Goblins loving LOVE the bloodsurf beaches of the Spidery Oceans. Goblins make pretty interesting houseguests. They'll often just fight a motherfucker for no reason at all. Fortunately I built a bloodpit just outside the inn to toss the dead bodies in. (I am not kidding. I get one or two guests dying every year from fistfights and disagreements gone awry).

You can see that many goblin soldiers and poets have decided to take up residence as soldiers and performers. That's absolutely fine by me. They end up in the hospital from fighting now and then but I'd much rather throw some expendable greenskins at whatever problem comes my way than lose any of the few remaining dwarf citizens of the empire.

This is the real meat and potatoes of the fortress. The temple to Lir, the Call of Yelling. His loud shouts will draw all of our scattered brethren back from the four corners and we can become the strong empire were were when the world was young. This level has all of the production and spiritual needs of the fortress met. It's worth noting that the only metal I've found so far is sweet, sweet gold. That means golden goblets, golden chains in the jail, golden chests in every room, golden bookshelves in the library. It's pretty loving great. We've just become a town, but soon we'll be the imperial city.

FalloutGod posted:

Do you folks bother assigning book keepers or managers?

Oh yeah! Bookkeepers, definitely! It's always nice to know when you're running out of things, and it's nice to be able to zoom in on specific items in your fort. I usually set them to just below the highest accuracy so that they're not spending 100% of their time cataloguing.

Managers are up to you but they do let you just request jobs and have them automatically assigned to workshops which is a huge thing when your fort gets big. It's much nicer to just say "We need 60 x clothing items" rather than trying to individually set that many jobs at your workshops.

It's also great for meeting mandates!

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 15, 2016

Aug 24, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

Hatch covers are like doors that you put on the ground. You can use them to cover staircases. Due to pathing weirdness, if a creature can't path around a locked hatch cover, it can't smash the hatch cover from below. A locked hatch cover over the only stairs into the caverns is invincible.

are artifacts invincible too? because that's what he made

could i use this to block hell?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Dreggon posted:

are artifacts invincible too? because that's what he made

could i use this to block hell?

All hatch covers of any quality are invincible to building destroyers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spanish Matlock posted:

All hatch covers of any quality are invincible to building destroyers.

Important to note that this is the case if an only if the following conditions are met: There is no other open path into the fortress, the hatch cover is locked, and the hatch is above the attacker.

Aug 24, 2011

some goblins started sieging my fortress but two of them immediately ran away and the only two left are just idle on the side of the map

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
With all the new stuff that's been added, I'd be willing to have a go at the next big succession fort project. Dunno if I would want to start it or not this time, because 1. I already have a LP in progress and 2. I'm still kind of leery from doing another DF succession LP due to the failure of Fogwall.

Aug 24, 2011

i told my archers to go and kill the goblins and they dropped their crossbows

two of them went to take a nap beforehand

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 15, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Danny Glands posted:

With all the new stuff that's been added, I'd be willing to have a go at the next big succession fort project. Dunno if I would want to start it or not this time, because 1. I already have a LP in progress and 2. I'm still kind of leery from doing another DF succession LP due to the failure of Fogwall.

I did have a thought about doing a Librarians/Historians LP, and there is always the fabled adventure fortress LP the people come back to every few years.

This build seems to be stable enough now.

Was Fogwall that much of a failure? I just thought it went on for too long, and spent to much time trying to map a random game to a pre-planned story line. DF is about randomly generated stuff and improv, and doesn't work well if you try and force a story onto it.

Aug 24, 2011

i dont need any medical dwarves because all the guys i sent out died

Aug 24, 2011

im getting attacked by another loving lizard

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

I did have a thought about doing a Librarians/Historians LP, and there is always the fabled adventure fortress LP the people come back to every few years.

This build seems to be stable enough now.

Was Fogwall that much of a failure? I just thought it went on for too long, and spent to much time trying to map a random game to a pre-planned story line. DF is about randomly generated stuff and improv, and doesn't work well if you try and force a story onto it.

There were a couple of new people who didn't really know how to play the game or run an LP, one guy bailed and some others didn't exactly provide enthralling storylines. The loyalty cascade basically hosed everything and turned it into just endless "[guy] kills [guy] with [thing]" forever and ever and ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

it turned into a person and my dwarves all knocked themselves unconscious trying to beat it up

the person is also unconscious

i am waiting on some marksdwarves to pick up their equipment so this thing will actually die