Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Now that I'm home,. here's an album of the model pics I took. There a couple from my games in there because I was lazy and didn't take them out.

http://imgur.com/a/x3Aas

A few of Dropfleet highlights here, first the resin ground assets:

PHR Frigates & Battlecruiser:

Shaltari & Scourge Battlecruisers on the right:

The 2-up scale Beijing and the really over exposed Cruise Liner my phone camera wouldn't focus on:

And the Njord. Because its a beast.

Some nerd: posted:

Scourge
Corruptor - Razor worm firing gunship/transport the "Projectiles" can cause damage to buildings the worms are fired at like a small boarding torpedo.
Monitor - This is a light anti tank minder. It's weapons are mainly aimed at anti scout but there may have been a mention about it being effective against medusa so it's likely got just a few shots.
Overseer - Desolator variant, Buffs the range of nearby plasma weapons and has a token attack (So not very offensive on its own) the range increase is currently suggested to be 6".

The Monitors are indeed intended to be a Scourge counter to the Medusa (according to Dave). Two E6 shots each in squads of up to 8 models providing a cheap low power weight of fire unit good for whittling down the Medusa or countering Resistance technicals. And Roughriders I guess.

The Overseer will have the ability to buff either range or energy of nearby units armed with plasma weapons. This could be a really interesting unit for Scourge players. It will probably have both a basic AT and AA armament of its own as well so it isn't completely useless if you kill the thing it was buffing.

Resistance
Panther - Unlimited range AA, 3 shots, energy 8 (maybe 7) ACC 3+ and -3 to hit when reaction firing. Personal thoughts are this will be a risk/reward unit. The more you expose it the better you get from it but the more vulnerable it becomes.

This one has people a bit edgy. Unlimited range AA could be ridiculously good, but is mitigated a bit by only ever hitting on a 6 when reaction firing. Expect much heated debate when the stats come out.

Menchit A2 - swaps the 2 mini guns for 2 skyhammer missiles which can be fired without a mercury.

This will likely become a popular unit. I'm not too clear if these are actually skyhammer missiles with IF as Dave told me they were looking at E10. They are however an L-2 weapon 'like' skyhammers. Regardless, this is the existing Menchit's flamethrower combined with a secondary AT role. I don't see anyone ever using the Menchit A1 ever again given that this is a more flexible unit even if it probably will cost more points.

Njord - Sorry JD, don't know too much about this one beyond it transport 4 vehicles and gets a good number of missile shots off. No AA. I think the fine details here are being mulled over.

This may actually be the thing that got me most excited. Those two twin launchers will be two separate weapon profiles (allowing you to split targets) eavh giving two E10 shots. So this is a dropship dishing out four E10 shots while carrying four walkers into battle. It will have a Poseidon's durability with the downside of a Poseidon's speed.

I was talking to someone about sticking a Type-2 command squad into it while they were thinking Apollo's. The problem with that I see is speed. A Poseidon moves 12" but only get MF 9", while the Apollo's can MF 12". Would you really want a transport that can't keep up with its cargo? The other option is a Type-1 squad with one or two Menchit A-2's on board. PHR missile launchers don't tend to get the range of their railguns so maybe they would match up well, otherwise you are dropping Ares/Phobos out of it while the Njord takes on closer targets.

Angelos A2 - Yep, it's an angelos with a flamer, roast a building, drop troops out, get stuck in.

I'm not sure how much these will get used. Maybe more than I think, hopefully more often than the current Angelos does.

Additional news - Book 2 of the reconquest is coming along nicely and will feature a host of rules for weather and terrain effects. Think night fighting, heavy rain, low gravity, high gravity, extreme temperatures etc.

Dave is wanting to have these units out before Dropfleet's release with the first of which aimed for Salute.

Dave says the book is pretty close to done, it is down to finalizing experimental rules and getting the remaining fluff done. I asked if all of the new stuff would have rules out before the book hits and he said no, there won't be time for everything to have a public beta so some things will just go straight to book. I also had a very brief chat about the rules app, on which he said 'soon' and expressed some frustration that it wasn't out yet. Sounds like they paid a third party to go make it and said third party is taking longer than expected/promised. It is very nearly done now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Well, turns out I got worst in faction. No surprise I suppose!

The panther looks very interesting, I found e6 AA was sorely lacking against resistance in particular with all their high dp a6 flyers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Boy I am not feeling anything for the Njord. I get that they are limited to the existing models, but sticking two turrets in the front doesn't really say 'PHR' to me. All those resistance variants look awesome.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Boy I am not feeling anything for the Njord. I get that they are limited to the existing models, but sticking two turrets in the front doesn't really say 'PHR' to me. All those resistance variants look awesome.

I put together some battle buses, freeriders, rocket technicals, veterans, storm wagons and a breacher drill last night. Threw some paint on my kraken and hannibals.

I'm down with the resistance and I'm super excited for the new stuff that's coming.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

BULBASAUR posted:

Sticking new turrets on stuff kinda describes most of these new units tbh! :shrug:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Sticking new turrets on stuff kinda describes most of these new units tbh! :shrug:

To be fair, that's the entirety of the resistance's schtick.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For sure, but check out what they did with the Angelos. It blends in and fits the aesthetic. The Njord will be good for buying, using it as a Posidon, and sticking those pods on a robot to make it a Mad Cat.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, most of the new turrets are stuck on things that already had turrets so they mesh a bit better. I'm not that big a fan of the Njord either. I like the idea of a heavily armed dropship, but not the execution. I think they could have done something a bit cooler than sticking a couple of turrets on sockets. Plus, what happens when it tries to land? Maybe it's the angle, but it doesn't look like that would go too well. Hawk's always seemed like the type of people to worry about the (relative) practicality of their designs.

I'm definitely curious about the other PHR units though. The bombard looks a bit like a rack of mortars or something rather than a missile pod and the Menchit variant might actually see use. Unlike the original.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think the Bombard is a rocket battery but I may be wrong. It will have the barrage rule.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I finally (after about a year working on them) finished up my 1500 points of PHR last week.

...and proceeded to get my poo poo pushed in twice in a row by a guy using the "Dave's 1500 point UCM army deal" force his first time out with UCM. Ah well.

The picture's not great, but I'm pleased with how they turned out. The paint job is striking and works to the strengths of the sculpts, but drat if it didn't remind me how much I hate painting white.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I played my Resistance starter into PHR and UCM tonight and got handed my rear end in both games. The dice weren't with me at all. I kept getting the hit rolls down and then flubbing entirely on damage rolls. I also have no clue how to play into those factions. They can so easily take out the wagons with no CM, while their AA just punches holes in lifthawks all day long.

We played the starter box scenario with the 3 buildings on the centerline with objectives. Against PHR I managed to tie on VPs and then lose on KPs by 150+, against UCM he blew my lifthawks away in 2 turns while I spent 3 dumping everything I had into his AA and managing to kill just 2 of the 3.

My friends are trying to push me hard into 1500pt games, almost to the point where I'm ready to quit playing. Is there a decent writeup on how to play into the different armies or what Resistance lists look like at 1500 so I can start thinking about how to manage that? My friends are talking about double Ferum lists and Scourge with those walking/flying indirect fire-large template things, and the PHR guy is bringing a hydra next week. I've got one blister's worth of a bunch of things, battle box, storm wagons, rocket technicals, battle bus, veterans, freeriders, alexander, zhukovs, cyclones. I don't think I'm anywhere near being capable of playing into these guys, but it would be nice to try and get a sense of just how far off I am.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Koreban, next time I'm down in your area I'll slam some OwnZone Brommander with you. I am much worse than your friends.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Koreban, next time I'm down in your area I'll slam some OwnZone Brommander with you. I am much worse than your friends.

Sounds good.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Hawk are coming down to my FLGS tomorrow to kick off an escalation league (Firestorm, in Cardiff), and I finally got my starter box done !

Now to start on the stuff for next weeks 850 game :shepicide:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

koreban posted:

My friends are trying to push me hard into 1500pt games, almost to the point where I'm ready to quit playing. Is there a decent writeup on how to play into the different armies or what Resistance lists look like at 1500 so I can start thinking about how to manage that? My friends are talking about double Ferum lists and Scourge with those walking/flying indirect fire-large template things, and the PHR guy is bringing a hydra next week. I've got one blister's worth of a bunch of things, battle box, storm wagons, rocket technicals, battle bus, veterans, freeriders, alexander, zhukovs, cyclones. I don't think I'm anywhere near being capable of playing into these guys, but it would be nice to try and get a sense of just how far off I am.

1500pts is the standard game size, but it isn't the only size. Work up slower with 750 then 1000pts. 1000pts is just into clash sized battles so you use the same battlegroups as 1500 but it should be more manageable for you. Remind your friends that you are a noob at this.

Double Ferrum is cheesy bullshit btw, but it is not optimal. Invasion was just won using a double ferrum list but was done by a very good player who found it very hard work. If you aren't familiar with it check out the Obrital Bombardment blog/podcast for more on that.

The Scourge flying artillery is an Annihilator. Their weakness is that they cannot move and fire and don't have that good a firing arc. Rushing it and trying to out flank its arcs can mitigate the impact it will have considerably.

The PHR 'Hydra' would be the Medusa. They are intimidating and potentially devastating but they can be countered. Machine guns, flamers and template weapons are your friend. The Medusa may get Evasion-3 meaning you will usually hit on 5+ or worse, but it will suffer against massed fire of low energy weapons. It is armour 1 so just about anything wounds it. It has no countermeasures so most weapons can it from far away. Your priorities are to take a couple of DP off early to lower her attack dice and to kill her transport to prevent healing. Clip her wings a bit and she becomes far less threatening. If your opponent is bringing two then this is again cheesy bullshit imo.

A thought about your CM-less technicals. Are you dropping them off too early? Keeping them inside hovercraft means that they cant be targeted directly, and with the hovercraft rules they can shoot the same turn that they disembark allowing for you to unload into your opponents face. If you are trying to advance them too far across open ground that may be an issue.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

1500pts is the standard game size, but it isn't the only size. Work up slower with 750 then 1000pts. 1000pts is just into clash sized battles so you use the same battlegroups as 1500 but it should be more manageable for you. Remind your friends that you are a noob at this.

They're aware of this. I am probably the least available one for games due to my schedule. Most of my friends are in the 10-12 games in, the two games I played last night were my 3rd and 4th, respectively. They're bored of starter games and want to play with their big toys.

quote:

Double Ferrum is cheesy bullshit btw, but it is not optimal. Invasion was just won using a double ferrum list but was done by a very good player who found it very hard work. If you aren't familiar with it check out the Obrital Bombardment blog/podcast for more on that.

Yeah, everyone knows it's cheesy bullshit, but the model-for-model arms race between the guys keeps escalating. I do a little work on the side for my FLGS, so when I've got $50-60 in store credit earned up, I pick up a few blisters of models. We plotted all my stuff into the FFoR list builder and I'm at like 1480 points of models before upgrades/commander, etc. My friend started going on about how I'm "right there" and could play 1500 point games right now, which is why they're pushing me so hard at it.

quote:

The Scourge flying artillery is an Annihilator. Their weakness is that they cannot move and fire and don't have that good a firing arc. Rushing it and trying to out flank its arcs can mitigate the impact it will have considerably.

The PHR 'Hydra' would be the Medusa. They are intimidating and potentially devastating but they can be countered. Machine guns, flamers and template weapons are your friend. The Medusa may get Evasion-3 meaning you will usually hit on 5+ or worse, but it will suffer against massed fire of low energy weapons. It is armour 1 so just about anything wounds it. It has no countermeasures so most weapons can it from far away. Your priorities are to take a couple of DP off early to lower her attack dice and to kill her transport to prevent healing. Clip her wings a bit and she becomes far less threatening. If your opponent is bringing two then this is again cheesy bullshit imo.

I'm planning on playing feral resistance. I'm hoping that massed technicals will be my answer to a lot of this jank. I'm just not there model-wise at the moment.

quote:

A thought about your CM-less technicals. Are you dropping them off too early? Keeping them inside hovercraft means that they cant be targeted directly, and with the hovercraft rules they can shoot the same turn that they disembark allowing for you to unload into your opponents face. If you are trying to advance them too far across open ground that may be an issue.

I wasn't aware of that part of the hovercraft rule. I would unload them, but not fire and generally start using them around turn 3 or 4. I was using lifthawks to threaten AA early on, I just had absolute poo poo luck with rolls on them.

Thanks for the info though. It looks like I need a bunch more hovercraft and technicals and perhaps another breaching drill to deal with these backfield units.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah have another read of the hovercraft rules. I may not have that rule 100% but it is something like that.

You probably know already that hovercraft are almost-skimmers so get a +1 to be hit bonus. I think it applies on the turn they move onto the board and that they move on at full speed? Double check this in the phase 1 book, not got mine to hand.

Add that lot in to the fact your transports do have active countermeasures and there are benefits to keeping units on-board.

I think the most common use for Lifthawks is to provide additional AA cover rather than to go hunting enemy AA.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Thunderstorm Custom is the default Resistance commander for a reason.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

The Thunderstorm Custom is the default Resistance commander for a reason.

It might be getting the nerf bat some time soon. Seems Simon & Dave are getting wary of how the Thunderstorm is dominating the Resistance meta. Hopefully they will be enhancing the Alexander to make it a more appealing alternative.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The Thunderstorm needs a good dosing of nerf though, it has a stupid amount of firepower, is hard to hit and has a ton of hitpoints - AND its a bloody transport.

I've finished my game report, if anyone is board and wants to watch it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just got back from a games day here in Cardiff (Firestorm Games) in which we had some guys from Hawk down as we are a ton of new players. Was super cool and everyone enjoyed it which was sweet. I took some pictures before my phone died which I'll post up in a little bit once I've organised my phone.

Congrats to our very own Renfield for winning best painted and winning a very cool Hawk bag. Well done mate. :)

As an aside question, I'm looking on angling the widgets on my Condors/other stuff to make my air units sort of leaning and banking to give them some dynamic side. Has anyone else done this? I think it could look quite cool but the entry point for the Condors is quite limited for the widget.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 7, 2016

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Congrats to our very own Renfield for winning best painted and winning a very cool Hawk bag. Well done mate. :)

That's being overly generous - although I'm very happy with they way they turned out, and the Hawk guys where (at least reasonably) impressed - there Nothing compared to the amazing Studio models they brought down (or the Drop Fleet ones... Also Amazing, and gonna hurt my wallet when that comes out) - I was the only one with a completely painted force :P (I finished the Gates at 7:30pm the night before)

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Played my first game against Shaltari last night. Man are they tough to crack. It seems like I should mostly evade direct confrontation. The 4+ (5+? I forget) save they get against nearly anything seems to want me to mass small attacks. The Jaguars were quite tough to destroy and seemed very flexible. The gate system meant I couldn't pin my opponent's infantry down. (I play Scourge.)

I had a second game against PHR and while I lost, this game was much closer. My loss was mainly due to a building collapsing late game, preventing me from picking up a much needed victory point. I also discovered how good Helios are, to my detriment.

I'm not very happy with the Desolator. The single shot was too much power in a single attack, easily stopped by the Shaltari shield save. The AOE just seemed to not deal enough damage and seemed to require lots of exposure to use. I'm probably not using this unit correctly.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 8, 2016

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

DeadGame posted:

Played my first game against Shaltari last night. Man are they tough to crack. It seems like I should mostly evade direct confrontation. The 4+ (5+? I forget) save they get against nearly anything seems to want me to mass small attacksly.

Yes, there's a 5+ (or better) passive save, but with tanks having an Armor of 7, and Gates 4 - once you're past it there glass. It's Very balanced - so instead of shots bouncing off armor 10-11, you're pinging off the shield.. it's swings and roundabouts (As Shaltari, I find Resistance high armor scores and multiple DP to be.. problematic :p )

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Jaguars are considered to be a strong unit. I think their points were increased in the errata last year.

Passive saves will sometimes shut you out, other times the unit just falls apart when you aim at it. As said, their armour values are low so most of your weapons will be able to hurt even their toughest units. Just keep firing!

Gates are initially overwhelming, I suspect most players lose their first game against Shaltari badly. The answer is simply to shoot them down, particularly the smaller gates to prevent your opponent from scoring and getting into CQB. Shaltari that can't gate are relying on (mostly) 5+ saves to live...

Helios are an awesome unit and make Phr happy.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I've nearly finished my Desolator. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Need to do some cleanup on the claws and then seal it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Very nice. I look forward to seeing that Hades and Poseidon...

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I haven't figured out a paint scheme for my PHR yet. I tried a blue glaze on a test model, but didn't like the way it turned out.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DeadGame posted:

I've nearly finished my Desolator. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Need to do some cleanup on the claws and then seal it.

Good to see pretty Scourge, way too little of them done well. What did you use for the main armor highlights?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So after much deliberation I've decided that I'm selling my Resistance army. The local area just rarely has anyone playing DZC and I have other systems that I can play on a more regular basis. I thought I'd post in this forum to see if anyone would be interested before I post my stuff on Ebay. Its mostly the the starter box and a couple of models I picked up here and there.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I just finalized my order on the Dropfleet KS Manager. Decided not to go too crazy, just got the UCM and PHR exclusive battlecruisers (one of which was already paid for with my pledge). Adding a total of $20USD to have this shipped to my humble abode here in Taiwan. I will just have to mention to my neighbors and doorman about a possible package that might come while I'm back in the US vacationing!

Now to sit back and wait.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Resin sector upgrades, hostile map set and a pack of fighters for me! Love dem tiny buildings....

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

The Sisko posted:

So after much deliberation I've decided that I'm selling my Resistance army. The local area just rarely has anyone playing DZC and I have other systems that I can play on a more regular basis. I thought I'd post in this forum to see if anyone would be interested before I post my stuff on Ebay. Its mostly the the starter box and a couple of models I picked up here and there.

I am interested, but I'm in Canada and our dollar is garbage right now so that may price me out. I don't have PM's, but shoot me an email to fraser DOTluke at the google mail.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hawk posted painted pictures of the exclusive battlecruisers on their facebook for some reason rather than sending them out in a backer update.

And some shots of the fancy cluster tokens:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Hawk posted painted pictures of the exclusive battlecruisers on their facebook for some reason rather than sending them out in a backer update.

They brought some of these down to Firestorm for the DZC kickoff, and they are more amazing than they look here - mostly as the paint jobs are unbelievably good

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
There is no loving way I'm going to be able to paint my ships half that well.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I will put this up, my offer still stands, though, that if anyone has an extra Atlantis from the Captain Pledge that they want to offload, I will be willing to strike a deal for it.

Ugleb posted:

Resin sector upgrades, hostile map set and a pack of fighters for me! Love dem tiny buildings....

Too many pretty things. I wanted all the ships, but I really need to watch my spending between now and June. After that, I can start trawling eBay for poo poo people decide to offload.

wdarkk posted:

There is no loving way I'm going to be able to paint my ships half that well.

I love that white on the PHR. Looks very sterile, mechanical, and unnatural at the same time. No way in God's green earth I'll be able to pull that off. I might just stick to a dazzle scheme for mine.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
I'm going to paint my PHR fleet like Koi Fish.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gonna pimp this here but UK Goons, Firestorm Games down in Cardiff has our first ever Dropzone tournament, we have Hawk dudes down and Hawk backed prizes. It's on the 6th/Mothers Day which isn't ideal but you should come down if you can make it!

Anyone who can give me Goondentials gets a free pint from our bar ;)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0159/4298/files/Call_to_Arms_Tournament_Pack.pdf?3109535872935072771

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I introduced a friend to Dropzone Commander last night with a couple of intro games and his comments on the game were... interesting. I played the PHR starter army for both games while he played Scourge and then UCM. I got my rear end handed to me in both games because that's what always happens when I am teaching someone. In any system. He got really hung up on the infantry rules for some reason and wanted more detail, even down to identifying which floor a specific squad is on. This came up after I drew line of sight from an upper window or whatever to see a damaged APC hiding behind another. It was still obscured and the shots didn't do anything regardless, but this was apparently a big deal. He also didn't like the facing mechanics for garrisons because in larger buildings infantry were technically able to move further than they would normally. This dude apparently has no concept of the term "abstraction" and would rather waste 30 minutes each turn detailing exactly where each infantry squad is than play the game.
:psyduck:

I will give him credit for being the first person I have taught to actually shoot occupied buildings. Falling masonry is mean.