Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Fittingly enough, Scalia's final opinion for the court upheld a death sentence, albeit in an 8-1 decision:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-449_9o7d.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Fittingly enough, Scalia's final opinion for the court upheld a death sentence, albeit in an 8-1 decision:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-449_9o7d.pdf

quote:

“When we correct a state court’s federal errors, we return power to the State, and to its people.”

I want this to be chiseled into that motherfucker's headstone. I don't have any issue with the SCOTUS having the responsibility of correcting erroneous state interpretations of the constitution, albeit I think Kansas was right in blocking the killing of those prisoners, but saying you're empowering states by dropping a big sack of nopesauce on them is some toontown bullshit.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Periodiko posted:

I'm kind of sorry for opening this can of worms because I can't imagine it ending well, but I think it's a legit case of "liberal racism" that people constantly accuse Thomas of being some kind of incompetent toady for Scalia.

Gee I hope he doesn't lose any sleep over it.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

FAUXTON posted:

I want this to be chiseled into that motherfucker's headstone. I don't have any issue with the SCOTUS having the responsibility of correcting erroneous state interpretations of the constitution, albeit I think Kansas was right in blocking the killing of those prisoners, but saying you're empowering states by dropping a big sack of nopesauce on them is some toontown bullshit. pure applesauce.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Periodiko posted:

I'm kind of sorry for opening this can of worms because I can't imagine it ending well, but I think it's a legit case of "liberal racism" that people constantly accuse Thomas of being some kind of incompetent toady for Scalia. Like a weird attempt to defuse the difficulty of his being a black conservative by just saying he's a token idiot and a mere unthinking servant of a white man.

Justice Thomas posted:

“I know that people are going to go all off the rails when they find out my opinion on the Loving decision. It’s important to stress that I am not in favor of any sort of anti-miscegenation law. All I am saying is that if I had been on the court in ‘67 I would probably have decided that those laws are best left to the discretion of the states. At the time of that decision there were only 16 states that still had anti-miscegenation laws. If the court had found in favor of the Commonwealth of Virginia those laws would eventually all been repealed on a state by state basis. The reality is that all 16 of those states have abolished those laws, the last one was in Alabama in 2000. If the court had allowed the Virginia law to stand it would have only taken 33 years before inter-racial marriage would have been legal in all 50 states.”

He might not be a toady for Scalia personally, but the dudes a moraless shill for the GOP and white conservatives. He's the ultimate "my black friend".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Can ghost Scalia now respond on a petitioners behalf? Tia guys

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
SCOTUS Thread 2015: Ghost Justice Scalia attempted to respond on Satan's behalf

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Schizotek posted:

If the court had allowed the Virginia law to stand it would have only taken 33 years before inter-racial marriage would have been legal in all 50 states.”

lmao "only 33 years"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How can you say with a straight face that since it took 33 years for Alabama to repeal a moot law they totally would have gotten around to it if the law wasn't ruled unconstitutional? Like, I could see you bullshitting that the South totally wouldn't be shitheads on something, bit to use Alabama as you example?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

:captainpop:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gyges posted:

How can you say with a straight face that since it took 33 years for Alabama to repeal a moot law they totally would have gotten around to it if the law wasn't ruled unconstitutional? Like, I could see you bullshitting that the South totally wouldn't be shitheads on something, bit to use Alabama as you example?

33 years nothing, the 13th didn't get ratified by Kentucky until 1976 and Mississippi waited until 1995, I'm sure he knew he exactly what he was saying.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

Thomas isn't in favor using the court as a social policy cudgel, even if it would personally give him some sort of benefit.

He is a man who grew up in Georgia during Jim Crow as the son of poor farmers and managed to get himself into an Ivy League law school. He prefers the change to come via non-judicial means and is fairly principled in that regard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Periodiko posted:

I'm kind of sorry for opening this can of worms because I can't imagine it ending well, but I think it's a legit case of "liberal racism" that people constantly accuse Thomas of being some kind of incompetent toady for Scalia. Like a weird attempt to defuse the difficulty of his being a black conservative by just saying he's a token idiot and a mere unthinking servant of a white man.

He's worse than an unthinking servant. He's a smart guy who just knowingly does irreparable harm to millions.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I wonder what poor RBG is thinking (besides the fact that her friend is dead :smith:). I always thought the popular belief was that she'd retire under Obama. If she retires now, maybe it will make the republicans look even more insane blocking TWO appointees for a whole year and leaving the court seriously understaffed, on the other hand meanwhile the court is left with a 4-3 conservative slant. If she retires at the end of this session, that obviates the latter issue but might mean the Senate doesn't have to block her successor quite as long before the election.

All the while she is getting old and probably wants to retire :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There really isn't any evidence that she wants to retire.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
If she wanted to retire, she would have done so last year. It's pretty rare for Justices to retire at the last year of someone's term for just these kinds of reasons.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

alnilam posted:

I wonder what poor RBG is thinking (besides the fact that her friend is dead :smith:). I always thought the popular belief was that she'd retire under Obama. If she retires now, maybe it will make the republicans look even more insane blocking TWO appointees for a whole year and leaving the court seriously understaffed, on the other hand meanwhile the court is left with a 4-3 conservative slant. If she retires at the end of this session, that obviates the latter issue but might mean the Senate doesn't have to block her successor quite as long before the election.

All the while she is getting old and probably wants to retire :(

If she wanted to retire under Obama she would have already. She's not interested in retiring until she feels she can't do the job.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Last I heard she didn't want to retire because she didn't think anyone as liberal as her would be appointed.

She might decide to retire because her dear colleague died (she and Scalia got along very well), but it won't be before the election.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh okay :unsmith:

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ayn rand hand job posted:

Thomas isn't in favor using the court as a social policy cudgel, even if it would personally give him some sort of benefit.

He is a man who grew up in Georgia during Jim Crow as the son of poor farmers and managed to get himself into an Ivy League law school. He prefers the change to come via non-judicial means and is fairly principled in that regard.

Boy how noble of him!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Goatman Sacks posted:

Boy how noble of him!

It's more a word of caution of "don't pigeonhole Thomas" because it will only lead to madness.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
SCOTUS Thread 2016: The Devil's Advocate

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Most modern justices (Souter and O'Connor being the major exceptions) retire only a few steps away from death.

It's more a word of caution of "don't pigeonhole Thomas" because it will only lead to madness.
This. There are lots of reasons to despise Thomas as an rear end in a top hat (I believe Anita Hill!) but he comes to his terrible conclusions using his own reasoning; he wasn't blindly voting with Scalia.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quote not edit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

FAUXTON posted:

I want this to be chiseled into that motherfucker's headstone. I don't have any issue with the SCOTUS having the responsibility of correcting erroneous state interpretations of the constitution, albeit I think Kansas was right in blocking the killing of those prisoners, but saying you're empowering states by dropping a big sack of nopesauce on them is some toontown bullshit.

This quote might be better:

Antonin loving Scalia posted:

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gyges posted:

I agree, there's only one Obama fit for the challenge

first dog Barack Obama Obama

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

TinTower posted:

I don't think it's an unfair summary of his jurisprudence, but he didn't actually say that.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Scalia liked to dress up lovely decisions in originalism to give his opinions some veneer of merit - even if actual originalism wouldn't agree with him. I forgot which decision it was, but the end result was that it legalized companies putting clauses into their EULAs that blocked class-action suits. Scalia ruled in favor with the basic premise of "because companies want it".

Thomas on the other hand is consistent in viewing the United States through the eyes of barely-high school educated landed gentry who considered him to be lifestock.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

eviltastic posted:

I don't think it's an unfair summary of his jurisprudence, but he didn't actually say that.

True. He did say this, in an effort which ultimately showed that Blackmun was right and he was wrong:

In 1994, Justice Harry Blackmun wrote an opinion questioning the constitutionality of the death penalty. Scalia responded by picking out what he perceived to be the worst of worst in death penalty cases. He picked Henry Lee McCollum, writing that McCollum’s case was a great example of why the death penalty was still necessary. He wrote:

“For example, the case of an 11-year-old girl raped by four men and then killed by stuffing her panties down her throat. How enviable a quiet death by lethal injection compared with that!”

McCollum walked off of death row in 2015 after DNA evidence proved his innocence.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

TinTower posted:

“Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.”

He never quite said that though; there's a long detailed dissection of it here:

http://news.lawreader.com/2008/08/30/barry-miller-widely-published-scalia-quote-re-innocense-is-inaccurate-we-have-to-agree/

quote:

LawReader user Barry Miller has brought to our attention a widely published misquote of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Scalia. We have no idea how this quote arose, but upon review we conclude it is nothing more than an edited version and not the actual words of Scalia.

The following quote is widely published and is attributed to Justice Scalia:

“Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached.”

The quote is attributed to the U.S. Supreme Court case of: Herrera v. Collins 506 US 390 1993 .

Miller called this issue to our attention, and we have investigated the facts, and we conclude that he is correct. Miller noted that he does not necessarily agree with Scalia, but he does feel he should be accurately quoted and quoted in context. We agree.

What Scalia did say was:
“There is no basis in text, tradition, or even in contemporary practice (if that were enough), for finding in the Constitution a right to demand judicial consideration of newly discovered evidence of innocence brought forward after conviction.”
“My concern is that in making life easier for ourselves we not appear to make it harder for the lower federal courts, imposing upon them the burden of regularly analyzing newly-discovered-evidence-of-innocence claims in capital cases (in which event such federal claims, it can confidently be predicted, will become routine and even repetitive).”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That is no less horrible.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mcmagic posted:

That is no less horrible.

I think it's important to understand the context of his statement, and that the statement attributed to him actually be what he said. I don't know enough about the law to comment on the merits of it. As a layperson it seems odious, and I'm not a fan of Scalia. Maybe a lawyer can speak to the merits of his argument in context.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I totally get that, and I'm OK with his bullshitting that States would have totally gotten around to fixing things that they fought tooth and nail against fixing all the way to the Supreme Court. What's idiotic is saying that since Alabama took 33 years to repeal a dead law that totally means they would have repealed the law if it hadn't been struck down by the Supreme Court.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. There are lots of reasons to despise Thomas as an rear end in a top hat (I believe Anita Hill!) but he comes to his terrible conclusions using his own reasoning; he wasn't blindly voting with Scalia.

I kind of think he's right on the slaughterhouse cases.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Except he's not consistent with that Theory and embraces judicial activism when it suits his political goals.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Are there any good examples of Scalia, Alito, or Thomas siding against something that followed their ideals but went against what they wanted to happen politically? I'm interested since it feels like it's happened at least one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm pretty sure Scalia has released opinions on the same day that interpret the same principles oppositely depending on his opinion on the case

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thomas: Raich
Scalia was a total dick tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
In which Scalia is a dick:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/antonin-scalia-error-supreme-court-dissent-epa
http://www.allgov.com/news/controversies/justice-scalia-contradicts-himself-on-immigration-to-get-the-result-he-wants?news=844680
https://newrepublic.com/article/106441/scalia-garner-reading-the-law-textual-originalism