Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

We are publishing this game to show how women are capable and powerful, but also, to reinforce the idea that men are physically stronger than women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Abby Soto... Abby Soto... I've heard that name before, right? I...

... oh. Right.

I have a copy of this game and I'm reading it and don't make the mistake of thinking that Abby Soto is just an innocent illustrator of WGA. Oh, no, Bellum Maga is full of indulgent transformation, shrinking, and smoking fetishism.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LatwPIAT posted:

...smoking fetishism.

As in cigarettes, or is this slang for something I'm gonna regret knowing about?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Some people have a fetish for women who are smoking, be it cigarettes, marijuana, or something else. All told, it seems like one of the less objectionable fetishes in this RPG, but I still would object to paying money for someone else's fetish game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

inklesspen posted:

Some people have a fetish for women who are smoking, be it cigarettes, marijuana, or something else. All told, it seems like one of the less objectionable fetishes in this RPG, but I still would object to paying money for someone else's fetish game.

Well the artist likes to draw cartoons of people being magically turned into cigarettes which are then smoked, so there's that too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, in this case it means turning people into cigarettes and smoking them.

I hate that I know that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The point is, no matter what sort of statement they're trying to make and no matter how subversive they're think they're being in doing so, it's just a puerile, ugly vehicle for their fetishes.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bruceski posted:

As in cigarettes, or is this slang for something I'm gonna regret knowing about?

Well, first, pretty much every woman in this game smokes. Circe the immortal goddess smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Minerva the self-insert smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Whenever Soto draws Princess Lucinda -the-12-year-old from Witch Girl Adventures, she's smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When I checked out Soto's profile on the Witch Girl wiki, there's like three photos of Soto herself smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When you start putting you love of cigarettes in the mouth of 12-year-olds, it gets rather noticeable.

Then we get into all the spells based on smoking, like the spell that lets you turn people into cigarettes so you can smoke them. There's also an elaborately described ritual for creating cigars (that taste like "rum and cocoa and rum") that let you kill someone by smoking it, summon them through the smoke, or make them shrink to half their current size with every puff because this game has elaborate mechanics for smoking. Why would you want to shrink someone down all that much? Well, going by art found on the author's DA account, because she gets off on the idea of shrinking men down to tiny sizes, putting them in her ashtray, and torturing them by raining the hot ashes from the cigarette on them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LatwPIAT posted:

Well, first, pretty much every woman in this game smokes. Circe the immortal goddess smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Minerva the self-insert smokes cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. Whenever Soto draws Princess Lucinda -the-12-year-old from Witch Girl Adventures, she's smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When I checked out Soto's profile on the Witch Girl wiki, there's like three photos of Soto herself smoking cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. When you start putting you love of cigarettes in the mouth of 12-year-olds, it gets rather noticeable.

Then we get into all the spells based on smoking, like the spell that lets you turn people into cigarettes so you can smoke them. There's also an elaborately described ritual for creating cigars (that taste like "rum and cocoa and rum") that let you kill someone by smoking it, summon them through the smoke, or make them shrink to half their current size with every puff because this game has elaborate mechanics for smoking. Why would you want to shrink someone down all that much? Well, going by art found on the author's DA account, because she gets off on the idea of shrinking men down to tiny sizes, putting them in her ashtray, and torturing them by raining the hot ashes from the cigarette on them.

This insane person owns, holy poo poo

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I can think of multiple ways you might do a VR or AR experience that fits into a Virtual Table Top.
So why is the one these guys came up with so amazingly stupid?

Good design involves abstraction. You want to separate the overall meaning from the specific complexies so you can bring it to forefront.

VR discourages this because in order to justify itself it need to cramp as much meaningless detail as your optic nerve can handle. This is further compounded by the fact that no one is going to paid the money to produce enough high definitive art assets to make this detail interesting to look at.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Bar Crow posted:

Good design involves abstraction. You want to separate the overall meaning from the specific complexies so you can bring it to forefront.

I didn't even think about this. It's such a basic tenet of design that I guess I assumed anyone capable of designing such a program would have already understood that.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

LatwPIAT posted:

One, that's bonkers. Two, I'm pretty sure "mysterious, shrinking cigars" was the plot of an episode of Wild, Wild, West back in the day.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to F&F this crazy goddamn book. I need something suitably worthy of scorn to level out the other book I'm doing

Witch Girls of Darkness is just :psyduck:

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly I'm just surprised and disappointed that no one's proposed "TERF Wars" as alternate title for this terrible mess of a game, come on.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbR5jrsu2mU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Punch Witches were about the only decent thing to come out of that game line.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Yeah I'm gonna have to F&F this crazy goddamn book. I need something suitably worthy of scorn to level out the other book I'm doing

Rulebook Heavily may be planning on doing this; might want to check.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

LatwPIAT posted:

Jesus loving christ. I knew she was a bad photoshop filter artist but I didn't know she was making RPGs that proclaim to be feminist but are really just wank material.

Someone needs to F&F this poo poo indeed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

Jesus loving christ. I knew she was a bad photoshop filter artist but I didn't know she was making RPGs that proclaim to be feminist but are really just wank material.

Someone needs to F&F this poo poo indeed.

If I'm recalling my anecdotes correctly Abby Soto is kind of a huge weirdo that doesn't really seem to grasp concepts like "actions have consequences" or "why are you upset that I turned your character into a frog?" It's entirely possible that she doesn't see any disconnect at all.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The point is, no matter what sort of statement they're trying to make and no matter how subversive they're think they're being in doing so, it's just a puerile, ugly vehicle for their fetishes.

Well, what if my fetish is intersectionality, hm? :colbert:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Well, what if my fetish is intersectionality, hm? :colbert:

Well, if you want to be prejudiced against you can be a fat green woman, otherwise you're SOL.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/216504408

quote:

Help us preserve classic D&D — and earn a bounty for it!

Our goal at DriveThruRPG has always been to support the RPG hobby by making every RPG title ever published available to RPG fans at a click. To that end, together with Wizards of the Coast, we have been digitally re-mastering hundreds of classic D&D titles and offering them through DriveThru and DMSGuild.com. We still have about 600 more classic D&D titles to go, and we need the help of D&D fans to get them all.

If you’ve got some classic D&D titles in your collection and you have access to a scanner, you can help us re-master and preserve these titles. In return, you’ll get a $50 bounty per title (once we verify your scan meets our specifications below). We are looking for high-quality scans, but these days, most inexpensive home scanners can handle the specifications if set correctly.

They're asking people to cut up their own old game books, scan it, arrange the PDFs, host it themselves, let DTRPG download it and review it, and potentially rehost the file for resell back to the market, for 50 dollars store credit.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

What happened to the TSR library?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

gradenko_2000 posted:

They're asking people to cut up their own old game books, scan it, arrange the PDFs, host it themselves, let DTRPG download it and review it, and potentially rehost the file for resell back to the market, for 50 dollars store credit.

To be honest, $50 is more than I'd get for any of my old D&D books in any other market. If I had them handy I'd probably go for it. Hosting isn't even a big deal, thanks to Dropbox.

Man, looking through that list I could make a decent chunk of change by destroying the old books I'm never going to use again. I'll have to see what I can easily lay my hands on.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:eyepop:

How do they somehow not have the 3.0 corebooks????

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Welcome to Late-Stage Capitalism, comrade :ussr:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nuns with Guns posted:

:eyepop:

How do they somehow not have the 3.0 corebooks????

They're also looking for the Forgotten Forge, the adventure in the back of the Eberron core book. :iiam:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

$50 is absolutely a good price for those books, but not for the labor you'd put in destroying and scanning them. It's kind of hilarious between Wizards and DrivethruRPG that they don't have enough financial wherewithal to just buy some books and hire some person to do it. But then, nobody went broke in the TG industry squeezing fans for free labor.

I suppose if you're driven to preserve D&D as an act on its own merits, the money is kind of inconsequential, tho.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm torn on what the best part is - is it that you have to host the file yourself, or is it that you get $50 store credit?

$50 would be a good price for the books. You aren't getting $50. You're getting a gift card.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

$50 would be a good price for the books. You aren't getting $50. You're getting a gift card.

Ooof. Ouch. Welp. That's pretty bad.

I guess you could market the credit but you're working at a loss on something that isn't paying what you or the book is worth, ultimately.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Actually, I take it back, I misread it. It's store credit for DriveThruRPG or their own storefront, and can be transfered via Paypal to actual money. So there's that I guess.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I think it's kinda funny that all of those are already downloadable as :filez: but they are requesting re-scans.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

I think it's kinda funny that all of those are already downloadable as :filez: but they are requesting re-scans.

To be fair a lot of them are very bad quality.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The kind of people who have access to a page fed scanner, not to mention a flatbed, have to be rather small.

e: Also, what are they going to do with multiple submissions? If 20 people dissect their DMG only one guy gets the money, that's going to be a lot of pissed off fans.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You can just get one of 50 osr retroclones that are functionally identical for cheaper. There's the nostalgia factor for the original but that's already in the clones to an absurd degree.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hm. I've got one of the 3.0 adventure game boxes, and a flatbed right beside me. Hm.

Edit: Oh, hey. The Geomorphs and Monster and treasure Assortments would be an easy go, if I could remember where they are.

Edit: gently caress it. Not even dealing with the old-school, loose-leaf crap is going to be worth the effort.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 16, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

To be fair a lot of them are very bad quality.
A bunch of the pirated PDFs in the 3.x line were actually really good. They had OCR and everything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I won't lie, I've considered doing this with some old White Wolf books and just sending them the files out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

gradenko_2000 posted:

They don't have the 2e Player's Handbook?! gently caress me I got two of them for free, they're one of the easiest things to find.

I do have the BEC side of Basic, AND the combat shield. Tempting.

• Locked thread