Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Lonjon posted:

The worst thing about Tier 5 solo queue is Polar Highlands. If Polar Highlands is available for a vote, those jerks will always choose it. Always.

For once I'm happy to not be in T5. In T3 it hardly ever wins. Is T5 just 100% lurm boats or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Pirates Bane with 4ML is pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the excellence of the 4SPL Pirates Bane. The small pulse version of the PB is the best stealth puncher of butts that's I've ever seen.

^^edit^^ Yes, Tier 5 is shitloads of LRM boats.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The great thing about the pirates bane on polar highlands is that you are so small that almost every divot in the snow provides cover.

Maps with flat floors like hpg or the mining one are actually harder I have found.

*Disclaimer: I am tier 4 and mediocre at best.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was told that all arctic cheetahs were interchangable but I can't build this thing. The weight is off.

What's the difference between me
http://puu.sh/n8v52/c5ee26b58a.jpg
and this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=0673c22705b1651b68e33300644d53eb895cf864
I mean I know I have a B and this is a prime but none of the parts claim to have a weight so I don't know why I can't have 6 lasers and 2 heat sinks.

Unless it's C.A.S.E. protected. How do I turn that off, if that's the problem?

vvv Then there should be MORE weight to play with not less!

I'm told I can't remove CASE from B so I guess I was lied to that they were all interchangeable and it didn't matter.

To be clear, I do not have enough weight free to build this build. It is a ton over spec. It is impossible to build this mech on the ACH-B

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 15, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Left leg armor?

Edit: Yeah I don't get it. They look the same to me, once you fill in that leg armor. CASE is a thingy that keeps ammo from blowing up, it's not interfering with your weight.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 15, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Both builds have 11 heatsinks and 6 spl - there isn't a difference.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Krinkle posted:

I was told that all arctic cheetahs were interchangable but I can't build this thing. The weight is off.

What's the difference between me
http://puu.sh/n8v52/c5ee26b58a.jpg
and this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=0673c22705b1651b68e33300644d53eb895cf864
I mean I know I have a B and this is a prime but none of the parts claim to have a weight so I don't know why I can't have 6 lasers and 2 heat sinks.

Unless it's C.A.S.E. protected. How do I turn that off, if that's the problem?

vvv Then there should be MORE weight to play with not less!

I'm told I can't remove CASE from B so I guess I was lied to that they were all interchangeable and it didn't matter.

To be clear, I do not have enough weight free to build this build. It is a ton over spec. It is impossible to build this mech on the ACH-B

You're probably confusing the locked in Double Heat Sink with the one you can pull in and out. Smufy displays them differently.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You're right. There is a heatsink all greyed out in there. Alright this thing just runs hot I guess. Do I not want to alpha strike all the time? Split them up 3 and 3?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Krinkle posted:

You're right. There is a heatsink all greyed out in there. Alright this thing just runs hot I guess. Do I not want to alpha strike all the time? Split them up 3 and 3?

alpha strike all the time. Then run away. cheetah runs real hot, you need to practice riding the rocket.

this is a game i did that mostly

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Krinkle posted:

I'd bind them left/right, great for shooting around covering without wasting heat or avoiding friendly fire. But do alpha when you see a chance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drakes posted:

I'd bind them left/right, great for shooting around covering without wasting heat or avoiding friendly fire. But do alpha when you see a chance.

yeah, it's good to have the option. but in general you should maximise your damage/time on target ratio with alphas, because if you're driving a cheeta the entire red team seriously loathes the poo poo out of you and will prioritise you as a target

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Krinkle posted:

Don't use 6 spl, take one off and put on another heatsink. Also coolshots.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just finished a match against a mix of 228 and Lord. That banwave was totally effective bro.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never played in Tier 5; it put me in Tier 4 when I came back and played for a week. I saw poo poo, man. The one that sticks out as most iconic to me though is the Jagermech JM6-A with 2 medium lasers and 4 LRM 5s. The prevailing tactic seemed to be to put a few LRMs and a poo poo ton of ammo on whatever has missile slots.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/222207-please-stop-telling-me-how-to-build/

Brown Sea Toiletry but I had a chuckle and didn't read much past the first post.

Also, goons press R!!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Spectating a person that doesn't press R is a maddening experience and I hate it.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wait are you making fun of Hank? Wtf did Hank do to you?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I don't understand why people read those forums. I don't think I've ever seen a game's "official forum" that wasn't a complete shitfest tbh. I know some of you think it's funny but I disagree: I think it's just really, really sad.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Been loving around in Cheetahs this weekend, this was a lot of fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

Try turning down the sensitivity on your mouse instead and giving that another try. It makes fine aiming a lot easier.

I did try my mouse with lower sensitivity ages ago. It didn't help either. All my muscle memory is screaming at me how wrong it feels to control a robot with a mouse, which is kind of distracting on top of all my reflexes being wrong for this kind of control. It just isn't fun.

In other news, I gave that weird Hero-Cicada I got gifted months ago some ER-Large Lasers to snipe with. In my first match I did more damage then I ever did with my Stormcrow. Of course, that could be because I turned the sensitivity on my joystick up so it didn't feel like moving through molasses anymore. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

Brown Sea Toiletry but I had a chuckle and didn't read much past the first post.

Also, goons press R!!

The correct response to that OP is to post about how much your amazing single guass rifle Atlas is that has nothing else but a maxed out STD engine and the rest of the tonnage spent on ammo.

Don't use endo or ferrous though, because you're roleplaying a mech that came from an off-brand factory.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Smurfy is a great way to get a workday over with.
Im thinking about getting into Timberwolves since they get their quirks removed, and while i still find them ugly i cant help tinkering around.
Would this be a good brawler-wolf? (i know it wont, but ive got another 7 hours to beat)

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

TeeMerk posted:

Also, goons press R!!

I like the first few replies telling him that his builds are in fact crap.

Raged fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 15, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Been loving around in Cheetahs this weekend, this was a lot of fun.

You could do the same effective damage with srm4's instead and then put on 2 more spl, or take off the spl and replace with ER smalls.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Smurfy is a great way to get a workday over with.
Im thinking about getting into Timberwolves since they get their quirks removed, and while i still find them ugly i cant help tinkering around.
Would this be a good brawler-wolf? (i know it wont, but ive got another 7 hours to beat)

That build would overheat really fast, I doubt you could fire all the guns twice, even if you separated things and didn't hit any ghost heat.

The standard TB builds are either 4 SRM6+A and 4 SPL, or 2 LPL and 4 ERML. You can do a 6 MPL build too I suppose (one in each torso and 2 in each arm), it would probably be under tonnage but that would leave room for jumpjets. Clan lasers are so hot that there's usually no point in stacking more than 6 MPL like you see on a grasshopper or thunderbolt.

If you really wanted some kind of short ranged laser brawler then you could do 6 MPL 3 SPL but it would overheat crazy fast, I remember a lot of people cut down from 6 MPL to 5 on the stormcrow for heat reasons.

There is a popular Ebon Jag build that is 2 LPL and 5 SPL, and you could recreate that on the timberwolf too.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 15, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

You could do the same effective damage with srm4's instead and then put on 2 more spl, or take off the spl and replace with ER smalls.

2 Srm4 instead of Srm6 would give me 1 ton which translates into just 1 spl (with less oberall damage) though, but srm4 + erSl is the same.
Whats would be the gain though? Is the range on the lasers worth the higher heat? 4 smalls + srm4 have 33% efficiency vs 49% on the "original".

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

That build would overheat really fast, I doubt you could fire all the guns twice, even if you separated things and didn't hit any ghost heat.

The standard TB builds are either 4 SRM6+A and 4 SPL, or 2 LPL and 4 ERML. You can do a 6 MPL build too I suppose (one in each torso and 2 in each arm), it would probably be under tonnage but that would leave room for jumpjets. Clan lasers are so hot that there's usually no point in stacking more than 6 MPL like you see on a grasshopper or thunderbolt.

If you really wanted some kind of short ranged laser brawler then you could do 9mpl and split up your fire groups but it would overheat crazy fast, I remember a lot of people cut down from 6 mpl to 5 on the stormcrow for heat reasons.

I feared so.
Im still unconvinced on the whole Timberwolf, the torso looks like t cant be missed even when twisting.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Lonjon posted:

The worst thing about Tier 5 solo queue is Polar Highlands. If Polar Highlands is available for a vote, those jerks will always choose it. Always.

What's wrong with polar highlands?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I feared so.
Im still unconvinced on the whole Timberwolf, the torso looks like t cant be missed even when twisting.

You twist and take it on the sides, unlike on the Ebon where it just gets hit on the CT.

Timberwolf is still the best mech in the game.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

2 Srm4 instead of Srm6 would give me 1 ton which translates into just 1 spl (with less oberall damage) though, but srm4 + erSl is the same.
Whats would be the gain though? Is the range on the lasers worth the higher heat? 4 smalls + srm4 have 33% efficiency vs 49% on the "original".

2 SRM6 and 2 SPL is just really low alpha damage and refire rate compared to what you would get with 2 srm4 and 4 ersl or whatever. Really if you want to do SRM on a light then wait two days for the Jenner-IIC. You want your weapons to match up as much as possible so you can get off your alpha and then dodge around until you can snap off another one, with srm6 and spl the refire rate is really lopsided.

Farecoal posted:

It's boring as hell, games take 3x as long as any other map, even longer than alpine games and pubs often wander off alone to die. All the alpine problems and no effective way to maneuver around scenery to flank and isolate targets.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 15, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

You twist and take it on the sides, unlike on the Ebon where it just gets hit on the CT.

Timberwolf is still the best mech in the game.

2 SRM6 and 2 SPL is just really low alpha damage and refire rate compared to what you would get with 2 srm4 and 4 ersl or whatever. Really if you want to do SRM on a light then wait two days for the Jenner-IIC. You want your weapons to match up as much as possible so you can get off your alpha and then dodge around until you can snap off another one, with srm6 and spl the refire rate is really lopsided.

Ok, didnt check the hitboxes i admit. It just looked like one giant CT no matter the angle.
I am in fact planning on the jenners, which will delay any timberwolves even further.

Still, mechlab tinkering is fun!

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

If you're going to do SRM clan light wait until tomorrow. In general, mixing weapon types is something you want to avoid if possible and the Jenner IIC is a better SRM light in every way than the cheetah. The cheetah's better profile, ECM and its weight makes it better for boating 5-6 SPLs. The Jenner having 5 tons more space, and more space available after that because you can remove jumpjets and change engines, means a lot when it comes to ammo weapons.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Tier 5 is LRM hell tier. Polar Highlands is LRM hell map.

Take a guess.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, didnt check the hitboxes i admit. It just looked like one giant CT no matter the angle.
I am in fact planning on the jenners, which will delay any timberwolves even further.

Still, mechlab tinkering is fun!

Just remember to try to synchronize your ranges and refire rates, Taking off the missiles and then having like 2ac5 2lpl and 2erml would probably all match up pretty well, but then you are kind of recreating a gauss vomit build but you have to keep staring at the enemy shooting your ACs. Clan ballistics are just in a bad place and as much as I try to make them work they are really just for funsies. And with the refire rate on gauss nerfed into oblivion they are in a bad spot now too.

TBR-A

I don't think this has been viable for a while but it still works if you are pro. The big advantage is that you can keep shooting the gauss even when you are at 99% heat, so when you are in a team of people all with gauss vomit builds you don't ever stop shooting.

Washout fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 15, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
e: I should post when I didn't just wake up

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 15, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

It's boring as hell, games take 3x as long as any other map, even longer than alpine games and pubs often wander off alone to die. All the alpine problems and no effective way to maneuver around scenery to flank and isolate targets.

My own experience so far has been positive. My last (and first) match on Polar Highlands ended in a giant brawl when both sides just kind of met each other in the middle, formed up in two rough lines and blasted away at each other. My poo poo-tier Warhawk actually made four killassists in the match. Four killassists and 200+ damage, which is god-tier for me. I rarely do more than half of that.

Yes, I'm that lovely at MWO. :shepface:

Edit:

I had no trouble maneuvering around the highlands to isolate targets, but then again the entire match devolved into a series of one-on-one matches, with people using the low hills everywhere as cover for surprise attacks. So maybe my experience was not how it normally goes?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Libluini posted:

My own experience so far has been positive. My last (and first) match on Polar Highlands ended in a giant brawl when both sides just kind of met each other in the middle, formed up in two rough lines and blasted away at each other. My poo poo-tier Warhawk actually made four killassists in the match. Four killassists and 200+ damage, which is god-tier for me. I rarely do more than half of that.

Yes, I'm that lovely at MWO. :shepface:

Edit:

I had no trouble maneuvering around the highlands to isolate targets, but then again the entire match devolved into a series of one-on-one matches, with people using the low hills everywhere as cover for surprise attacks. So maybe my experience was not how it normally goes?

At tier 2 you wander around for 5-7 minutes before ever seeing a target then half your pubs go chasing after a locust and the enemy team descends on you en masse and you die horribly.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Washout posted:

At tier 2 you wander around for 5-7 minutes before ever seeing a target then half your pubs go chasing after a locust and the enemy team descends on you en masse and you die horribly.

This happens on every map, come off it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
You could just have a fast light in the group for scouting. Never takes long to find the enemy when we have either one Spider/Locust or a handful of burlier lights.

Rifleman faction paints; scope out those CT hardpoints on the Liao one, it's too bad you won't be able to fit two large lasers that high.

:swoon:

Sard fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 15, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Stringbean posted:

This happens on every map, come off it.

Theres not normally a 5-8 minute lead up of zero enemy contact though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

At tier 3 your assaults hide behind corners leaving the lights and meds to tank while getting flanked by heavies.
Sometimes i just wanna ritually core myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

kingcom posted:

Theres not normally a 5-8 minute lead up of zero enemy contact though.

Yes, we get it. It's a huge rear end map. But being huge can't be the only reason to make it the worst map. The terrain alone makes it a fun map. There's just so many ways to avoid enemy fire and punish those who make dumb decisions.

• Locked thread