Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!
I don't know if you're going to talk about this in later Depths videos, but there are actually 3 different types of rats in the Depths. There are the medium size rats, which you've seen, and which have the AI that you talked about in the video, giant rats, which are very aggressive, and small rats, which will just try to run away from you and don't attack you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I don't think I have ever managed to kill a TinyRat, and I always assumed they kinda weren't killable

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Vicas posted:

I don't think I have ever managed to kill a TinyRat, and I always assumed they kinda weren't killable

Yeah, they just kinda scurry off and disappear into the walls but trying to chase them can get you in trouble if you're not careful.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For the record, the slimes' physical defense is a whopping 1500.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Lizard Wizard posted:

For the record, the slimes' physical defense is a whopping 1500.

Then we can try and argue over the exact implications of that, because as far as I know no one has ever been able to derive the exact damage formula, only approximations.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Paracelsus posted:

Then we can try and argue over the exact implications of that, because as far as I know no one has ever been able to derive the exact damage formula, only approximations.

Well, the implications are that when you hit them with a sword, it will do...... not very much damage

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Grizlor posted:

Please wear the sack for at least several videos (and put it on for cutscenes your character shows up in) because it is the best hat (Yes, even better than The one from the invader in The Painted World)

The best hat is the one you get for killing Vamos. Look at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Enough with the spoiler text, Xanthos King Jeremiah and Vamos are not super spoilery names

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Eh I was trying to be safe about areas we haven't seen yet, the spoiler was more about the painted world than anything.

People complain about the 2nd half of the game but at least it gives you a choice of what areas to tackle first, since there are 4 bosses to go after or the DLC. Really I think the next area in the 'intended' route is way more frustrating than basically anything in the game, the area with the Fire Keeper Soul being especially bad if you don't have a spider shield and/or a ton of the rare moss that removes toxic. I've been told that originally the torches that marked all the ladders didn't exist during development and that just completely blows my mind :psyboom:

Also, yes, holy gently caress those torch hollows do a lot of damage. In my shieldless run they would take off like 80% of my HP with their frenzy/combo attack if I screwed up :supaburn:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You want to talk about Dark Souls? THIS guy talks about Dark Souls and he's really smart about it all. He mentions why the gameplay is why it is, he mentions the dramatic themes of the game, and he mentions how you can play the game solo, nobody's ever totally "solo" in Dark Souls due to how this huge online community is built around sharing info about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_ZLoHl5UH8

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just realized that maybe the placement of that one torch hollow in the slime hallway is hinting at their massive weakness to fire.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This whole ep mainly takes place in Firelink so I figured I'd just throw it up today as well:

17 - Out Of The Depths

(art for this update comes out of http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=30675456)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In honour of the Depths: Always more rats.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I didn't even realize you could get intel from Lautrec. And that change in Petrus' voice is amazing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I presume Petrus figures that if you're trading tips with Lautrec, you must be playing the same game they are, and doesn't have to pretend to care any more.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If you're ever short on artwork for updates, here's some:

http://zedotagger.deviantart.com/gallery/

Have a Sunlight altar:

my favorite of his is his tomb of the giants one but since we're not there yet I'll just link it instead of posting it:

http://zedotagger.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Souls-Tomb-of-the-Giants-568281255

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, I totally missed this myself when I first played Dark Souls. Petrus is evil and straight-up abandoned the princess in the catacombs, huh?

...I am curious as to the motive, but in this land where talking people are rare in itself, I guess betrayal comes easy.

Pyromancy is so great, though. You get a few more utility spells and a good damage spell, you don't have to level up any stats to make it more effective, and it works on most things. It's like a regenerating pile of firebombs in your pocket! (Bit annoyed that in DS2, you needed "fire seeds" to upgrade your flame. I mean, come on!)

It's essentially "primal magic," right? As opposed to divine miracles or arcane spells, it's you making flame out of the spark of life itself. Maybe that's why it's seen as "vulgar" magic; it's so primitive only guys who hang out in the swamp use it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 14, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I thought Pyromancy was the magic of the soul, so it's vulgar because it's literally using your own soul to attack enemies, this is also why it doesn't scale off a statistic because it's all about how much soul you put into it. Especially as Miracles are at least as old as Pyromancy, Miracles being Gwyn's thing and Pyromancy being the Witch of Izalith's thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And sorcery being Seath's thing...

Of the Lords the only one who doesn't seem to have a style of magic is Nito.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's not unique but you can get two Miracles from his covenant, although they have no faith requirement. He also has an ability you can never get, the corruptive Miasma that was powerful enough to decay the Everlasting Dragons. There's also Pinwheel, who is slowly sapping Nito's strength to fuel his necromancy, which suggest Necromancy is probably Nito's unique thing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Speedball posted:

And sorcery being Seath's thing...

Of the Lords the only one who doesn't seem to have a style of magic is Nito.

Nito has miracles.

e:^Yeah that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
man, dark souls gets a lot of praise for a lot of things but i don't see people gush about its voice acting too often. and it's good! it's really good!

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
It has no stat requirements to use but doesn't pyromancy scale with INT? IIRC the flame can be upgraded all the way to S scaling, does it only apply to the fire damage of the strong attack or are the actual spells affected too?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Storm One posted:

It has no stat requirements to use but doesn't pyromancy scale with INT? IIRC the flame can be upgraded all the way to S scaling, does it only apply to the fire damage of the strong attack or are the actual spells affected too?

The Pyromancy Flame's scaling is purely for when you are punching with it.

DS2 has a int+faith scaling attached to fire damage ( not pyromancy, any fire damge ). But DS1 really only cares about the Flames level for scaling.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Looper posted:

man, dark souls gets a lot of praise for a lot of things but i don't see people gush about its voice acting too often. and it's good! it's really good!

I believe a lot of the subtleties of region/class that are obvious to British people are mostly lost on Americans just due to lack of familiarity, so a lot of people just interpret everyone's accent as "fantasy British" even though the game actually does a lot of things with real regional accents to convey character information, like Domhnall of Zena, who we'll be meeting soon

Another good example is Carina Reeves, who plays Rosabeth in Dark Souls 2 and speaks with an extremely working class accent, which fits in well with her extremely destitute characterization. She also plays Fiora in Xenoblade Chronicles and it's easy to miss that it's meant to show how technologically backwards the Homs are compared to the High Entia

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looper posted:

Yeah, it IS really good. Whoever FROM hired to do their voicework was a really great team.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fromsoft's main English VA company appears to be Liquid Violet, who also did, among other things, Bioshock Infinite, Spec Ops: The Line, and Borderlands 2. All those games had pretty excellent voicework.

If I had to name a favorite performance for this series outright, it'd be Hannah John-Kamen's Shalquoir. She'll be appearing here later as Ciaran in the DLC, but she really dives into it for our cat pal in Dark Souls II.

e. and that reminds me, another amazing voice in Dark Souls would be our other feline acquaintance, the yet-to-be-met Alvina. Hoo boy, the words she drops on us.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 14, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

So, I totally missed this myself when I first played Dark Souls. Petrus is evil and straight-up abandoned the princess in the catacombs, huh?

...I am curious as to the motive, but in this land where talking people are rare in itself, I guess betrayal comes easy.

Pyromancy is so great, though. You get a few more utility spells and a good damage spell, you don't have to level up any stats to make it more effective, and it works on most things. It's like a regenerating pile of firebombs in your pocket! (Bit annoyed that in DS2, you needed "fire seeds" to upgrade your flame. I mean, come on!)

It's essentially "primal magic," right? As opposed to divine miracles or arcane spells, it's you making flame out of the spark of life itself. Maybe that's why it's seen as "vulgar" magic; it's so primitive only guys who hang out in the swamp use it.

I guess you never finished Petrus's quest line then? Even if you miss this bit, later events will not provide anything to paint him as 'good'

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Finally got to Queelag, and that fight is particularly brutal for me. I'm just using the integrated graphics card on this computer, so any flame effect (other than torches) that appears in game glitches out as an upside-down mirror effect. Not very helpful in avoiding her one shot spell, I must say. Far too much visual noise to learn the tells quickly.

The games hit detection is a little weird, too. I lost the crystal lizard in the forest even though I charged right at it and had it targeted because all my attacks whiffed. From definitely cleared up a lot of the little polish details of their design quite a bit by the time bloodborne rolled around.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Speedball posted:

This isn't entirely fair, because in the souls you spend maxing out a pyromancy flame you could just as easily dumped a bunch of levels on int or faith.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Grizlor posted:

This isn't entirely fair, because in the souls you spend maxing out a pyromancy flame you could just as easily dumped a bunch of levels on int or faith.
But then doing that would make later levels of fighter-y stats cost more.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Narahari posted:

Finally got to Queelag, and that fight is particularly brutal for me. I'm just using the integrated graphics card on this computer, so any flame effect (other than torches) that appears in game glitches out as an upside-down mirror effect. Not very helpful in avoiding her one shot spell, I must say. Far too much visual noise to learn the tells quickly.

The games hit detection is a little weird, too. I lost the crystal lizard in the forest even though I charged right at it and had it targeted because all my attacks whiffed. From definitely cleared up a lot of the little polish details of their design quite a bit by the time bloodborne rolled around.

That depends on the weapon you're using. If a weapon doesn't have a downward swing then, well ....

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Now we'll actually go explore the depths, I swear:

18 - A Curse, of Course

Sorry to those of you expecting me to actually go to New Londo to clear up any curses :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Curses are cool as hell, but also literally the worst

I played after the purge stones were implimented. And got it at this sort of level. It was the worst.I don't remember any New Londo related message. Not that I knew where New Londo WAS . Given how crippling Curse is early on, it is way harsher than they intended, I think. Compared with say poison, or bleed.

double nine posted:

That depends on the weapon you're using. If a weapon doesn't have a downward swing then, well ....

Try jumping? (that is a beautiful gif)

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Depths didn't kill me much, but I spent rather a lot more time stumbling around here. I found both sides of the fog door before I dared venture either side of it.

I did get cursed once, which lead to a lot of paranoia and extremely careful playing like this was a roguelike or something as I slowly pulled these guys out and one-shotted them with a zweihander.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
basilisks are the best and their appearance (or even that creepy croaking) never fails to evoke this perfect feeling of "oh nooooooo"

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I played this game back when it was fresh (and harsher at several levels). I fell for the curse thing and it was real bad. There was an alternative back then too, if you were willing to look it up: Snuggly the crow. It didn't help me out at the time though since I still had to get over there, which seemed like a monumental task back then.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

To this day, I have to wonder.

I knew about curses in advance, thanks to the first review for this game that I ever read, which went so far as to describe precisely where and how it happens. I didn't think much of the spoiler at the time, as I hadn't yet decided I'd try this game.

If I hadn't known, would it have been a game-defining moment of sheer bloody-eyed fortitude in pressing on after inevitably falling victim, or would it have been an unexpected, seemingly wildly unfair setback that would've broken me?

I don't know. I'll never know. My pre-Souls self is another lifetime, as if this game burned me to the ground and something far more maniacally stubborn emerged from the ashes. :black101:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mazed posted:

To this day, I have to wonder.

I knew about curses in advance, thanks to the first review for this game that I ever read, which went so far as to describe precisely where and how it happens. I didn't think much of the spoiler at the time, as I hadn't yet decided I'd try this game.

If I hadn't known, would it have been a game-defining moment of sheer bloody-eyed fortitude in pressing on after inevitably falling victim, or would it have been an unexpected, seemingly wildly unfair setback that would've broken me?

I don't know. I'll never know. My pre-Souls self is another lifetime, as if this game burned me to the ground and something far more maniacally stubborn emerged from the ashes. :black101:

The latter.

Especially if you played in the pre-patch days where purging stones were borderline impossible to come by, and curses could stack, halving your max health every time :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KozmoNaut posted:

The latter.

Especially if you played in the pre-patch days where purging stones were borderline impossible to come by, and curses could stack, halving your max health every time :unsmigghh:

Oh god. The real dark Souls starts here.

Especially since early on the 4k souls to remove a curse are also super valuable, so you kinda want to run in to get your souls back so you can afford a curse remove...
Things could go real bad real fast

• Locked thread