Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Deadpool was great fun. Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin both really sold me on two characters I really didn't expect to like at all.

Though I thought the Colossus stuff and all the X-Men stuff and even the mutant stuff and particularly the "who wants to be a lame superhero like those other lame superheroes???" stuff was incredibly forced. NTW was funny and I wish they found a way to get her into the film without that nonsensical X-Men recruitment subplot. I guess Fox had to find a way to cross-franchise somehow and it's not like they're gonna use the Fantastic Four, and to be fair Deadpool is associated with the X-Men in the comics, but I felt myself rolling my eyes through those "You should join us and be a real hero!" scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Actually Fox didn't want to cross franchise at all. Ryan and Tim said the biggest fight they had with the movie was trying get Colossus in it because the studio wasn't really on board with it. They'd had him in the script since the very first iteration.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

X-O posted:

Actually Fox didn't want to cross franchise at all. Ryan and Tim said the biggest fight they had with the movie was trying get Colossus in it because the studio wasn't really on board with it. They'd had him in the script since the very first iteration.

I haven't seen it yet, but yeah you need a straightman with a character like Deadpool and Colossus is a genius choice, so I'm wondering once I see the movie if it'll feel forced at all, I'm guessing not.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I do love to mention that leaked script, but the reveal of Colussus as a character was one of the best hell-yeah moments of "Reading, In General" I've experienced.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

BrianWilly posted:

Deadpool was great fun. Ryan Reynolds and Morena Baccarin both really sold me on two characters I really didn't expect to like at all.

Though I thought the Colossus stuff and all the X-Men stuff and even the mutant stuff and particularly the "who wants to be a lame superhero like those other lame superheroes???" stuff was incredibly forced. NTW was funny and I wish they found a way to get her into the film without that nonsensical X-Men recruitment subplot. I guess Fox had to find a way to cross-franchise somehow and it's not like they're gonna use the Fantastic Four, and to be fair Deadpool is associated with the X-Men in the comics, but I felt myself rolling my eyes through those "You should join us and be a real hero!" scenes.

Those scenes were pure gold. Colossus was the best straight man.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't believe Deadpool is the highest grossing R rated movie on an opening week so you guys made me look that poo poo up. That's loving crazy. Godfather 2, Goodfellas and The Exorcist were rated R just off the top of my head and they had lines around the block. I never realized how much an R rating affected box office returns but it makes sense upon reflection.

I'd be interested to see those numbers with some context; adjusted for inflation and such.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked Deadpool quite a bit. Ryan Reynolds was obviously having a blast playing the character. There was pathos, but it didn't make the movie a dramedy. Every scene had something funny going on from quips to background events to references. The line about not being able to keep the timelines straight was killer. I expected to hate NTW for that tryhard name, but it all ended up working out. Colossus taking the moment to tell Gina Carano that her boob popped out, only for her to say "Aw, that's sweet" and then obliterate his dick was 10/10. I'm glad they won the fight for Colossus, he was a great addition. I would've loved if they could have gotten Hugh Jackman for the stinger. Ajax was a flat villain, but I thought the guy played his role well. Just little stuff like him actually checking his teeth and flipping out over the name Francis worked out. The only character that I don't think ever worked for me was Weasel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Stephen Lang as Cable was someone I hadn't even considered but that's a very good pick. He can be really funny too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hakkesshu posted:

Stephen Lang as Cable was someone I hadn't even considered but that's a very good pick. He can be really funny too.

He should have posted a picture of himself covered in pouches rather than flexing, that would have sold it better.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't believe Deadpool is the highest grossing R rated movie on an opening week so you guys made me look that poo poo up. That's loving crazy. Godfather 2, Goodfellas and The Exorcist were rated R just off the top of my head and they had lines around the block. I never realized how much an R rating affected box office returns but it makes sense upon reflection.

I'd be interested to see those numbers with some context; adjusted for inflation and such.

it's actually pretty hard to do that because the release environments were very different- i.e. multiple premium formats now (though note Deadpool isn't getting that sweet 3d money) vs. something like Gone With The Wind which was in continuous release for several years (instead of a few months) and had multiple re-releases

still, if you want to see inflation adjusted numbers they're out there

and even in context it's, uh, a pretty big deal- it'd need an implausibly big fall off not to be the #1 R-rated movie (non-inflation adjusted) of all time ($135m now vs. $370m for Passion of the Christ [which did $87m it's opening weekend]- for context 22 Jump Street opened at $57m domestically and ended with ~$192m), and while it'll probably fall a bit short of what an inflation-adjusted Godfather earned over multiple releases, it's in the same ballpark with a single release

in any case, an R-rated film that's likely to do north of a half billion in domestic ticket sales is a significant thing

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

I just discovered that Deadpool director Tim Miller was responsible for both of these awesome fun little things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTovkeCUmN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6hvRZxomkg

He also directed this.

http://youtu.be/InUj9BT8KCc

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
What's the Spider-Man cinematic from?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just a short Marvel had on their website back in like 2007 or 2008.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

X-O posted:

Just a short Marvel had on their website back in like 2007 or 2008.
Yeah I thought so because Iron Man wasn't acting all Robert Downey Jr like

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Gavok posted:

I was tasked with writing a list of Easter eggs and other stuff. So here's The Deadpool Movie: Complete Guide to Characters and Marvel References.

A work in progress.

I didn't see this on your list, but I noticed the pizza the kid is delivering is Feige's Famous Pizza.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jim the Nickel posted:

I didn't see this on your list, but I noticed the pizza the kid is delivering is Feige's Famous Pizza.

Great catch! I also noticed after another viewing that Bob's wife's name is Gail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I noticed for the Deadpool ads that aren't using movie footage is that his mask is slightly different. The non-movie version has a bunch of small holes over the mouth, almost like a mesh.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Have a potential addition to the trivia pile from the wife. When trying to guess Ajax's real name, there are a few potential reference names: Scott, Bruce, and Kevin are on the list. First two are pretty obvious, but I don't know about Kevin (Nizcea?). There might be others, but I was listening for specific jokes at the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

Something I noticed for the Deadpool ads that aren't using movie footage is that his mask is slightly different. The non-movie version has a bunch of small holes over the mouth, almost like a mesh.

That's probably so Ryan Reynolds doesn't have to do ADR on those takes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

That's probably so Ryan Reynolds doesn't have to do ADR on those takes.

I don't see what Alberto Del Rio has to do with anything.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Have a potential addition to the trivia pile from the wife. When trying to guess Ajax's real name, there are a few potential reference names: Scott, Bruce, and Kevin are on the list. First two are pretty obvious, but I don't know about Kevin (Nizcea?). There might be others, but I was listening for specific jokes at the time.

Haven't seen the movie, but Scott (Thompson), Bruce (McCullough), and Kevin (McDonald) are three of the five Kids in the Hall, the Canadian sketch comedy troupe, and Ryan Reynolds is also Canadian.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

I don't see what Alberto Del Rio has to do with anything.
He and Reynolds get their steroids from the same guy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, Deadpool was a done perfectly, it was exactly what it needed to be. It was funny when I needed to be, exciting and sad as well.

I like how there was for no reason a Helicarrier at the end. And the only X-man cameo was Marrow, though i can't help but think that Deadpools drawing of Francis was supposed to suggest Phantomex

That was such a perfect version of Colossus. This super good nice guy who is slightly to innocent for the world he's in, but don't piss him off. Negasonic was pretty cool as well, though I know she's a really minor character that's kind of more of a joke than anything, but I find it interesting they basically gave her Cannonball powers. I really like that they totally hang a lantern on the fact they have the whole School, but we only ever see Colossus and NTW.

And yea, I'm 100% think they're going to fast track Deadpool into whatever they have planned beyond Apocalypse. Hopefully they'll keep Wade being silly, and everyone else being serious.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
It's pretty crazy that this movie is just smashing records when it was so hard to get made. That test footage from last year ended up being the smartest thing Reynolds has every done.

Also amazing that it's apparently actually funny given that awful first trailer, but everything since was pretty good, i guess.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Every one liner hits, it's pretty incredible. The bar for the sequel is way too high.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I wish they would've showed Piotr without being armored up. I know the whole character was CGI, but still bummed me out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Comfortador posted:

I wish they would've showed Piotr without being armored up. I know the whole character was CGI, but still bummed me out.

I found it hilarious that he was armored up the entire movie. Even while eating oatmeal in the X-Mansion.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

theflyingorc posted:

It's pretty crazy that this movie is just smashing records when it was so hard to get made.

A lot of fairly successful movies, books and series have a pretty hard fight to get on air. Off the top of my head Walking Dead's TV series was a hard sell, as well as the book series of Harry Potter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/WBPictures_Mx/status/699044275170840580

Snyder is such a swell guy :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think my favorite quips in the movie were the bits about the other X-men movies. Calling out only having two people in the X-mansion and (especially) the "McAvoy or Stewart?" line had me laughing so hard I missed the next couple jokes.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If anyone's interested, I reread the leaked 2010 script for the sake of seeing what got changed over the years.

As excited as I was when I first read this, practically everything was a major improvement.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Deadpool was quite good, even as someone who thought the marketing was really obnoxious. Not all the humor landed, but enough of it did and there was actually a lot of very clever referential humor which is not a thing I say often.

Though I don't think it quite did enough to differentiate itself from every other superhero film, at least structurally. It's still a superhero origin story and it's still about fighting a generic villain to save the girl. It felt like Colossus/Negasonic/Al/Weasel were in the movie for a combined total of 15 minutes and they were by far the best parts. I assume a lot of that is just due to production realities, so hopefully for the sequel they can go weirder and more subversive.

But it was better than I expected it to be and that's good enough.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

"McAvoy or Stewart?" is my favorite line from the movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sure the Deadpool movie was filled with many many easter eggs throughout. But one that I saw that I couldn't find out was in the bar. In the background is a sign saying LOST and it has a pair of slippers or shoes on the sheet. I figure this has to be a reference to one of the comics, but I couldn't find anything from Google searches. Help me, Gavok or someone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

IUG posted:

I'm sure the Deadpool movie was filled with many many easter eggs throughout. But one that I saw that I couldn't find out was in the bar. In the background is a sign saying LOST and it has a pair of slippers or shoes on the sheet. I figure this has to be a reference to one of the comics, but I couldn't find anything from Google searches. Help me, Gavok or someone.

Really elaborate reference to Liefeld art?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Anora posted:

A lot of fairly successful movies, books and series have a pretty hard fight to get on air. Off the top of my head Walking Dead's TV series was a hard sell, as well as the book series of Harry Potter.

I'd imagine the 3 people who rejected the harry potter series have all hung themselves by now.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Snyder is such a swell guy :allears:

Swell and swole, apparently.

And I don't know what the rules are in BSS, and I'm not trying to be a sensitive snowflake, but I haven't been able to see the movie yet and it kinda sucks to see actual lines from the movie posted without spoiler tags. If that means I have to avoid this thread for now, that's fine, but I just wondered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Generally once something is out it's fair game, though people will usually use spoiler tags for a while in general threads.

They don't have to though so it's always a minefield.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Despite the awesome of Deadpool, its still only the second best use of X Gonna Give It To Ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

twistedmentat posted:

Despite the awesome of Deadpool, its still only the second best use of X Gonna Give It To Ya.

If you're talking about Rick And Morty, then thank you for reminding me of that so I could watch that part again.

• Locked thread