Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Have fun w/ this pile I've begun testing. It's budget as gently caress at the moment on the sideboard - there should be Primal Commands (Instead of at least the 3rd Sarkhan), and probably some other stuff I haven't decided on yet. A second Doubling Season or a Kiora, Master of Depths are the next things I'm looking to test in it.

As for why you should play it.

Here's me getting ready to attack for 168 on turn 5.

I've seen a few people touting Genesis Wave lists before, but they usually go the Primeval Titan+Kessig Wolf Run route. Looks like fun but I don't like Wave's interaction with the Legendary/Planeswalker rule. Also one Doubling Season seems low with so many walkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Everyone in the thread was already on-board with Painter's Servant being bad, but here's Kevin Crimin going 1-4 in a League with it including 1-1 against Eldrazi, "the deck it's specifically designed to beat." Of course, he just made a really bad Affinity list and I'm not surprised it didn't do well, but specifically when Servant is involved in the gameplay it's just awful.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
The problem with Servant is your opponent can just hit land drops and hardcast stuff since you just spent a turn putting a 1/3 on the battlefield

also that list is awful and Painter's Servant might not even crack the top ten things wrong with it

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Why does Wizards keep making Game Day on Valentines? I mean lol

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lightning Lord posted:

Why does Wizards keep making Game Day on Valentines? I mean lol

My LGS had it on Saturday. :shrug:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Boco_T posted:

Everyone in the thread was already on-board with Painter's Servant being bad, but here's Kevin Crimin going 1-4 in a League with it including 1-1 against Eldrazi, "the deck it's specifically designed to beat." Of course, he just made a really bad Affinity list and I'm not surprised it didn't do well, but specifically when Servant is involved in the gameplay it's just awful.

Kevin is also hilariously, earth-shatteringly stupid and not very good at magic in general.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I wanna say Kibler? There were like 1 or 2 others I think. There were way too many goons arguing that he shouldn't have banned too.

Edit: A quick check on Twitter shows that Bob Huang was apparently wearing a #letzachplay shirt at eternal weekend. I'm shocked. And I can't find anyone that supported WotC but I don't care enough to really look.

Bob Huang is a huge piece of poo poo for many reasons

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Pyronic posted:

Kevin is also hilariously, earth-shatteringly stupid and not very good at magic in general.
Yeah, I love watching his videos for exactly that reason, to go along with "makes up his own pronunciation of card names"

GrapeFetus
Mar 21, 2009
So has WotC publicly addressed the fact that someone opened and shared the contents of a SoI pack? If not, I think that's a fairly smart move. I was actually waiting for the tragic Trick article, but perhaps they chose to just say gently caress it and avoid bad publicity.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

GrapeFetus posted:

So has WotC publicly addressed the fact that someone opened and shared the contents of a SoI pack? If not, I think that's a fairly smart move. I was actually waiting for the tragic Trick article, but perhaps they chose to just say gently caress it and avoid bad publicity.

Honestly I dont think its a huge deal, and for all we know this could be the SoI version of the parking lot evolving wilds.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm assuming WotC cares a lot less about a couple packs worth of draft commons being spoiled than almost all of a set's rares and mythics being posted at once.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Most of the time when stuff leaks they don't acknowledge it, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I guess the last one was because it was a long-term thing?
Also Maro is explicitly for colour pie bends when they help a set. Keeping the colour pie steady when it's not helpful is what makes that possible without the game getting boring. Re green having no interaction: he's said they're adding one-sided fight seeing as the test card went well. Like every time the thread talks about Maro it really seems like everybody is talking about a different person. Truly, no two see the same Maro.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

whydirt posted:

I'm assuming WotC cares a lot less about a couple packs worth of draft commons being spoiled than almost all of a set's rares and mythics being posted at once.

and the big change to colorless mana, which confused everyone and hosed up their big cool announcement

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
3-1 and drew in with BW Eldrazi to get that sweet promo.

Got owned by Mardu Dark Dwellers in the quarters but such is life.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Allstone posted:

Most of the time when stuff leaks they don't acknowledge it, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I guess the last one was because it was a long-term thing?
Also Maro is explicitly for colour pie bends when they help a set. Keeping the colour pie steady when it's not helpful is what makes that possible without the game getting boring. Re green having no interaction: he's said they're adding one-sided fight seeing as the test card went well. Like every time the thread talks about Maro it really seems like everybody is talking about a different person. Truly, no two see the same Maro.

We're talking about the Maro who doesn't understand EDH but feels the need to comment on it. And the one who talks about ham sandwiches and his toaster.

Literally The Worst posted:

and the big change to colorless mana, which confused everyone and hosed up their big cool announcement

I find that funny because WotC hates doing stuff that confuses less enfranchised players but nothing confused them more than <>

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

That's Wizards' narrative, but just reading this thread it didn't look that way to me. When Kozilek and Mirrorpool were first leaked, there was maybe a day's worth of discussion over whether they were real and over whether diamond mana was the new symbol for colorless mana or just a new type of mana that could only be paid for by OGW cards like Wastes and Mirrorpool, then silence for a month.

It was the official WotC spoiler reveal of diamond mana that gave us a weeklong shitshow of colorless-versus-generic and sixth-color and whatever else.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"The game is irreparably damaged when some dirty leaker ruins our carefully-crafted announcements! In other news, all nonbasic lands are banned,"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GrapeFetus posted:

their policy is to not address spoilers until it's relavant so they are literally doing exactly what you should expect

also that pack was stolen, so i'm sure they will address it when it becomes prudent to do so cause you know, something actually illegal is involved

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

We're talking about the Maro who doesn't understand EDH but feels the need to comment on it. And the one who talks about ham sandwiches and his toaster.

People ask him about it so he talks about it at the moment he's talking about lightbulb jokes and foreign language cards. Like there are other wizards people running askboxes but they barely respond just let the giant tan goblin man live

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's Wizards' narrative, but just reading this thread it didn't look that way to me. When Kozilek and Mirrorpool were first leaked, there was maybe a day's worth of discussion over whether they were real and over whether diamond mana was the new symbol for colorless mana or just a new type of mana that could only be paid for by OGW cards like Wastes and Mirrorpool, then silence for a month.

It was the official WotC spoiler reveal of diamond mana that gave us a weeklong shitshow of colorless-versus-generic and sixth-color and whatever else.
There was a tonne of discussion after the initial leaks and a lot of people kept the same misconceptions they had at first even after the announcement.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i work at a card shop and people were talking about it basically nonstop and even after wizards did their announcement people were still hanging onto their original, wrong ideas

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

i work at a card shop and people were talking about it basically nonstop and even after wizards did their announcement people were still hanging onto their original, wrong ideas

How many people bickered with the judges at the prerelease?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

It makes me laugh that the leaked cards were literally the only three cards in the set that don't specifically tell you what diamond mana is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

How many people bickered with the judges at the prerelease?

it was p well resolved by then and we reiterated it at the start of every flight just in case and told people to judge call during deck con if they had questions

worked out fine

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me laugh that the leaked cards were literally the only three cards in the set that don't specifically tell you what diamond mana is.

It was one of the reasons I thought they were fake because that was really convenient.

Speaking of, finally got a OGW fatpack and have ♦-related cards physically in my possession, so I was well and truly wrong. Like I said I would, here's a shot of one of my cats covered in Wastes, including a foil one.

The other two will not cooperate with ♦-costing spells. I'll have to be sneaky with the warping wail.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I've only just realized with the SoI spoilers that I can and will be jamming Jace the Madness Sculptortm as long as Origins remains Standard legal. Now, if I tap to loot does Jace flip first or do I get to cast the madness effect before Jace flips?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

torsoboy posted:

I've only just realized with the SoI spoilers that I can and will be jamming Jace the Madness Sculptortm as long as Origins remains Standard legal. Now, if I tap to loot does Jace flip first or do I get to cast the madness effect before Jace flips?

Jace looting and flipping is all a part of the same activated ability with no pause or priority pass in between. So you'd loot and flip him, and when the ability resolves, he will be a planeswalker and your madness trigger will be on the stack. Except if you discard to madness the card doesn't go to the graveyard, it goes to exile instead I believe so discarding a card with madness won't count as the 5th card in the yard? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It looks like the details on how madness works is changing with SoI, based on the new reminder text. Right now, if you discard a card with madness into a graveyard of five cards, you can choose whether jace's flip trigger or the madness spell resolves first. With the new rules coming up, the flip will resolve first, assuming I remember the new reminder text right.

e: also, yeah, your graveyard has to have five cards not counting the newly-discarded basking rootwalla.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Jace looting and flipping is all a part of the same activated ability with no pause or priority pass in between. So you'd loot and flip him, and when the ability resolves, he will be a planeswalker and your madness trigger will be on the stack. Except if you discard to madness the card doesn't go to the graveyard, it goes to exile instead I believe so discarding a card with madness won't count as the 5th card in the yard? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

quote:

702.34. Madness

702.34a Madness is a keyword that represents two abilities. The first is a static ability that functions while the card with madness is in a player’s hand. The second is a triggered ability that functions when the first ability is applied. “Madness [cost]” means “If a player would discard this card, that player discards it, but may exile it instead of putting it into his or her graveyard” and “When this card is exiled this way, its owner may cast it by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost. If that player doesn’t, he or she puts this card into his or her graveyard.”

The card never goes to the graveyard as part of Madness is a replacement for the discard.

e: This also means if you can get a Processor in on it before the triggered ability resolves, like Ulamog's Nullifier and its Flash, you can prevent them from casting it.

Unless the changed reminder text does in fact herald different rules, but this is how it is right now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 15, 2016

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

man i just googled this and lmao at people going "well chapin did time for drug charges!" like that's the same thing as serving three months for rape

That argument came up in this very thread as part of the slippery slope! I hope that Pat Chapin sells me drugs and the rape man loses his wallet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The card never goes to the graveyard as part of Madness is a replacement for the discard.

e: This also means if you can get a Processor in on it before the triggered ability resolves, like Ulamog's Nullifier and its Flash, you can prevent them from casting it.

Unless the changed reminder text does in fact herald different rules, but this is how it is right now.

Lmao thats funny as hell if you can do that

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Small wonder why they made all of the processor effects sorcery speed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ramos posted:

Small wonder why they made all of the processor effects sorcery speed.

Ulamog's Nullifier.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Ulamog's Nullifier.

Small wonder why they made all of the processor effects requiring a single card sorcery speed.

Also, the amount of convoluted hoops to jump through to make that card useful while your opponent is activating madness is tad bit insane. Even madness, you might say.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rabidsquid posted:

That argument came up in this very thread as part of the slippery slope! I hope that Pat Chapin sells me drugs and the rape man loses his wallet.

Lmao at the goons who did that then

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ramos posted:

Small wonder why they made all of the processor effects requiring a single card sorcery speed.

Also, the amount of convoluted hoops to jump through to make that card useful while your opponent is activating madness is tad bit insane. Even madness, you might say.
Not really? It doesn't work against Jace enabled madness, but if they cast a spell like Tormenting Voice or Lightning Axe can't you process the madness card and counter the spell?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not really? It doesn't work against Jace enabled madness, but if they cast a spell like Tormenting Voice or Lightning Axe can't you process the madness card and counter the spell?

Those are two specific cards which aren't guaranteed to show up often at all and still requires that you have exiled another card and have four mana open. Might make for a cute move that gets a judge call with a miscall from the judge anyway at FNM, but little else. Maybe if Soy brings in some additional, more useful "discard as an additional cost" cards, we might need to worry about it, but I doubt it.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It still counts as them discarding the card, regardless of what happens after the card is discarded into exile.
E: Wait no I just got it I'm stupid.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ramos posted:

Those are two specific cards which aren't guaranteed to show up often at all and still requires that you have exiled another card and have four mana open. Might make for a cute move that gets a judge call with a miscall from the judge anyway at FNM, but little else. Maybe if Soy brings in some additional, more useful "discard as an additional cost" cards, we might need to worry about it, but I doubt it.

Well yeah, we're assuming a lot: there are good discard outlets, Madness is playable with them, and Ulamog's Nullifier is playable. There's also all the other processors that process as an activated ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I ordered some ugly DCI Fiery Tempers (HOT SPEC) so I'm ready for Jace madness.

• Locked thread