Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You're coming up against something that is actually one of the big weaknesses of CK2; the lack of women at start to create alliances. Your choice is to try and blob hard, swear fealty to a ducal level neighbour or just suck it up, alas.

Torrannor posted:

It's not an easy start position, especially with Sjaelland/future Denmark breathing down your neck. So the only way to survive is to constantly expand, at least until you control Norway. Use the "become king of Norway" ambition to subjugate all the small counts in the rest of Norway. The very first subjugation will be the most difficult, you will likely need your marshal or steward to have raised event troops for you so that you can win the war. After that you should be able to snowball hard until you hold all of Norway with the exception of Iceland and the territory held by Denmark. You should keep 500 prestige at all times if possible, so that you can raise a tribal army in case of a Danish attempt to subjugate you.

Alright, so blob hard, king the gently caress out. I would have liked it if the solution were a little more open ended, but at least I can stop butting my head against impossible odds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Torrannor posted:

It's not an easy start position, especially with Sjaelland/future Denmark breathing down your neck. So the only way to survive is to constantly expand, at least until you control Norway. Use the "become king of Norway" ambition to subjugate all the small counts in the rest of Norway. The very first subjugation will be the most difficult, you will likely need your marshal or steward to have raised event troops for you so that you can win the war. After that you should be able to snowball hard until you hold all of Norway with the exception of Iceland and the territory held by Denmark. You should keep 500 prestige at all times if possible, so that you can raise a tribal army in case of a Danish attempt to subjugate you.

This is basically what I did, though I went from Iceland and into Norway. Fairhair was NOT easy to beat at all, but I raised tribal forces for all my prestige AND hired mercs with all of my viking raid gold and finally, managed. Though this was before this latest expansion so...who the hell knows what infamy and coalitions do to all this now. Not to mention the council.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

It's unclear to me what happens to the courtiers and such when an area is conquered and holy-warred out of existence. Do they all die? Do they end up in someone else's court? Where do they go?
They all go to somebody's court. Based on family relations for those that have them, and I think opinion for those without. You've never had a massive courtier dump happen to you?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

It's unclear to me what happens to the courtiers and such when an area is conquered and holy-warred out of existence. Do they all die? Do they end up in someone else's court? Where do they go?

Last time I did a Reconquista (retaking Iberia as a Christian ruler), I took 60 Muslim prisoners when I captured the last Muslim castle in Iberia. Apparently they ran out of places to hide.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I still don't get gavelkind.

I'm playing as Halfdan in the old gods start, conquered almost all of Northumbria. I have 3 sons, my heir gets the duchy and it's capital, and all of the other counties go to the other sons, 3 each. I executed the heir because he was a poo poo, and my new heir still only gets one county, 3 going to my third son, and 3 going to my oldest son's oldest son. Is there any way I can not be utterly hosed by this?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Black Griffon posted:

When starting as a one-area nordic pagan ruler in the viking age, there seems to be a 70%/30% chance a slightly more powerful nordic pagan ruler will end your game after ten years or so. Is there a genuinely effective way to prevent this? Extremely aggressive expansion with limited forces? Save all your raided gold for mercenaries? I really want to play as the county I currently live in (Hordaland), but it's really not working out.

When I did my count of Värmland (landlocked, no raiding) game I tried many different things but the one thing that worked was to swear fealty to someone else and then take over their realm from inside. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm playing as Halfdan in the old gods start, conquered almost all of Northumbria. I have 3 sons, my heir gets the duchy and it's capital, and all of the other counties go to the other sons, 3 each. I executed the heir because he was a poo poo, and my new heir still only gets one county, 3 going to my third son, and 3 going to my oldest son's oldest son. Is there any way I can not be utterly hosed by this?

If you have way of life, you can use the seduction focus to breed a few sons while selecting the "acknowledge as mine" option. Then, provided you have stayed unmarried and never had a legitimate son at any time, you can pick to legitimize your favorite and he will inherit everything. Having multiple legitimate sons under gavelkind is one of the worst things that can happen to you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Solemn Sloth posted:

Assassinate all your first kids sons (they're not your direct children, so you should be able to plot to kill them). Then your demesne will only be split two ways, and your primary heir will probably get the duchy and three counties.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DrSunshine posted:

lurksion posted:

They all go to somebody's court. Based on family relations for those that have them, and I think opinion for those without. You've never had a massive courtier dump happen to you?

Yeah, just yesterday I was minding my own business when 13 useless courtiers abruptly appeared at my court. I married all the single ones off (the men matrilineally) within two weeks and assassinated the two married dudes and the kids. Useless assholes.

e: In before Discussion > Games > Crusader Kings II: I assassinated the two married dudes and the kids, useless assholes, I guess

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

TjyvTompa posted:

When I did my count of Värmland (landlocked, no raiding) game I tried many different things but the one thing that worked was to swear fealty to someone else and then take over their realm from inside. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Yeah, only losing your land entirely is a game over, ending up a vassal just means you have to start stabbing people in the back instead of in the face. Especially if you have Conclave, since IIRC most of those vikings are tribal and tribals always have to empower their councils, so playing as a vassal there gives you plenty of chances to monkey with things.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

halfdan decided to convert to christianity like two years into his invasion :negative:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

verbal enema posted:

if coalitions maybe were like the surrounding countries around you and got a bonus to vassal opinion and troop count then id be ok i mean there is no reason for 1/2 the world to freak out when they have no business even caring about you since i mean DISTANCE ALONE.

coalitions should be local reactions to invading powers, and there should be an unlimited number of how many can appear. for instance, a steppe nation invading and making tributaries of russian states should have a coalition formed against it by the russian tzars, or jerusalem annexing and increasing it's territory against muslim sultanates should also be coalitioned by those sultanates against it. it should really be tied to a common factor, like religion and culture against invading nations and only in an extreme case like a world conquest does everyone join against you. infamy should probably be tied to this as well, maybe it can build in a region you're threatening or in culture/religious group/neighbouring states against you rather then a flat addition like it is now

shattered retreats are kind of totally useless as a feature in all honesty without the fort system that EU4 has, it just means the army retreats a bit further and can't be intercepted at all which now just makes battles annoying and tedious

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 15, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

you can also just take the hit, let your territory be divided on your death, and then pick your favorite son and fight it out as him. That's how it often happened historically.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:getin:

No longer a poor student, so I pimped out CK2 with Conclave having come out. I don't think there is anything left to add in the game that it doesn't have right now. 10/10 Paradox. Easily my most played game ever.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
are there any more Ck2 dlc coming? or was conclave the last one? I would really like a witches & mythology or whatever dlc, or something that fleshes out the more forgotten parts of the world, with event and religious mechanics.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zombiepop posted:

are there any more Ck2 dlc coming? or was conclave the last one? I would really like a witches & mythology or whatever dlc, or something that fleshes out the more forgotten parts of the world, with event and religious mechanics.

The pagan religions were fleshed out some in TOG but I agree it still needs more flavor.

One thing I really wish was some interaction for pagan reformations. When we reform we are basically creating a new religion in game that never existed, so it would be cool if you could define how it is going to be, instead of it just changing to another predefined religion that's usually the same with some new CBs.

Like, having some sliders and options that would define how your new reformed faith handles religious heads, women's rights, tolerance for other faiths etc, and would then unlock options, laws and CBs accordingly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Like, having some sliders and options that would define how your new reformed faith handles religious heads, women's rights, tolerance for other faiths etc, and would then unlock options, laws and CBs accordingly.
Blood sacrifice:
[_] Yes.
[_] No.
[_] Only on Tuesdays.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

playable landed republics and theocracies god drat it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

SelenicMartian posted:

Blood sacrifice:
[_] Yes.
[_] No.
[_] Only on Tuesdays.

Castration of prisioners

[ ] yes
[ ] no
[ ] automatic

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Rodyle posted:

playable landed republics and theocracies god drat it

I have to ask: Medieval trade cities. Land based Republics. Were they a thing? I am dumb and uncertain of this, despite the fact I know the Silk Road was a thing and cities of course grew from places to stop and resupply which brought people and so on. I forget, however, if 'land-based versions of Merchant Republics' were a thing.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Bloodly posted:

I have to ask: Medieval trade cities. Land based Republics. Were they a thing? I am dumb and uncertain of this, despite the fact I know the Silk Road was a thing and cities of course grew from places to stop and resupply which brought people and so on. I forget, however, if 'land-based versions of Merchant Republics' were a thing.
Hansatic League (which is in-game) which extended inland along the rivers was still mostly coastal.

Don't think there were any land-based that really were governed in the way represented by the merchant republics in game though.

Land-based merchant republics are able to be modded in I think.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The problem is that landed republics and their activities would register mostly as Baronies in CK2. The most important, Florence, didn't even control it's own County for the first half of the game, historically.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

lurksion posted:

Hansatic League (which is in-game) which extended inland along the rivers was still mostly coastal.

Don't think there were any land-based that really were governed in the way represented by the merchant republics in game though.

Now that inland trade posts are A Thing I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to play a land-based MR if a) there were more trade routes than the Silk Road, and b) there weren't all those hardcoded shackles. Still, you could probably represent most of the relevant MRs in the game's timeline already, simply by making Major River provinces into "sea" like Game of Thrones does (this takes map modding but it's not actually that difficult a variety of map modding, I've done it on my personal copy and I otherwise hate touching the map.)

This turns, say, Novgorod into a coastal province, though it also means that Literally Everyone can sail the Rhine/Loire and also make the transit from the Baltic to the Black/Caspian seas, so I guess it trades one annoying misrepresentation for another.

That said, yeah, most inland cities' merchant classes didn't have quite the impact or local pre-eminence of Venice/the Hansa/Novgorod/Genoa, and representing them as subordinate to the local feudal nobility is at least not utterly insane - it would be nice if the extent to which that nobility depended on taxes (and loans) from local city merchants was more strongly reflected ingame but I'm not immediately sure a) how that would be done, and b) if it would actually be fun.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 15, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrSunshine posted:

They relocate to someone else's court, though I'm not sure what the rules are for where they decide to go.

edit: Dammit, missed a page. :(

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm farting around with CKII+ and jesus is the trade map ugly.
Anyways I started as Curonia in the 1000 start date and I united Lithuania with my first character and could theoretically reform Romuva if I yoink rostock.
When should I bother with it because atm I was thinking of not bothering yet and just sit around raiding and ransoming priests until Poland or the Russians get mil tech 4.
Also how often do crusades get called in Northern Europe?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Clearly the next DLC shoould be all about Heathens and Heresies .

What's the patch I have to roll back to play my pre conclave saves?

E: also how do I do that

Jump King fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 15, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Right click game, open properties, open "betas" tab, select the version you want in the drop down.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Had a weird thing happen that I think is a bug. During the blot festivities I walked in on a gay duke vassal making out a thane. My totally not-gay emperor was aghast, but after the event I notice the duke has a 100 opinion of me... because we're lovers, apparently. I never agreed to that! Seems like the event misfired to reveal his lover.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm farting around with CKII+ and jesus is the trade map ugly.
Anyways I started as Curonia in the 1000 start date and I united Lithuania with my first character and could theoretically reform Romuva if I yoink rostock.
When should I bother with it because atm I was thinking of not bothering yet and just sit around raiding and ransoming priests until Poland or the Russians get mil tech 4.
Also how often do crusades get called in Northern Europe?

I don't think the trade mapmode was really designed to have multiple routes (for example, all the rotues are the same colour and this can't be changed), and certainly with as many as we added it's basically useless for conveying any sort of information.

CK2+ doesn't have the same drive to reform as vanilla since you don't necessarily need to reform to go feudal, or to have a sane succession law (at least I don't THINK you do, my pagan games are usually Celtic and they get Tanistry anyway). Still, I generally feel like it's best to reform ASAP even if you don't exactly "need" to, because it makes converting and resisting conversion so much easier. I don't know if Lithuania is still mostly Romuva at 1000 - do you need to convert a ton of territory at all?

That said, crusades for Northern Europe are pretty rare, especially if the Holy Land is still in Muslim hands, but I've seen them happen.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't think the trade mapmode was really designed to have multiple routes (for example, all the rotues are the same colour and this can't be changed), and certainly with as many as we added it's basically useless for conveying any sort of information.

CK2+ doesn't have the same drive to reform as vanilla since you don't necessarily need to reform to go feudal, or to have a sane succession law (at least I don't THINK you do, my pagan games are usually Celtic and they get Tanistry anyway). Still, I generally feel like it's best to reform ASAP even if you don't exactly "need" to, because it makes converting and resisting conversion so much easier. I don't know if Lithuania is still mostly Romuva at 1000 - do you need to convert a ton of territory at all?

That said, crusades for Northern Europe are pretty rare, especially if the Holy Land is still in Muslim hands, but I've seen them happen.

Lithuania basically doesn't change religions until the Teutonic Knights show up, I started in 1000 because Scandinavia is still pagan but ruled by Christians and I thought it would be amusing to see those kingdoms blow into a million pieces except that they didn't and are starting to eat Finland. I should be ok though if I can just snag Rostock.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Clanpot Shake posted:

Had a weird thing happen that I think is a bug. During the blot festivities I walked in on a gay duke vassal making out a thane. My totally not-gay emperor was aghast, but after the event I notice the duke has a 100 opinion of me... because we're lovers, apparently. I never agreed to that! Seems like the event misfired to reveal his lover.

Emperor's Gay Secret

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

The duchy counts as a more valuable title than the county titles since it's higher-level, so since the main heir gets the duchy, gavelkind gives more counties to the other heirs to compensate for only getting lower-level titles. Because of this, the primary heir tends to get screwed on direct land control under gavelkind - since they get the highest-level titles, they get fewer counties than the other heirs.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Clanpot Shake posted:

Yep, I've had that happen a bunch. The cause appears to be because TOG.663 and 666, the hidden events fired for the first homosexual vassal, set add_lover = FROM for the second such vassal instead of add_lover = ROOT. 663 is itself triggered by the ruler hosting the blot, so FROM in it refers back to him/her.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 15, 2016

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

update on the gavelkind, it seems that children born to concubines are considered legitimate? WELP

New plan is to make sure I always have tons of gold from raiding and develop the gently caress out of my capital province.

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2016

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Emperor's Gay Secret

Log Cabin Vikings.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solemn Sloth posted:

update on the gavelkind, it seems that children born to concubines are considered legitimate? WELP

New plan is to make sure I always have tons of gold from raiding and develop the gently caress out of my capital province.

one thing that used to work for me is conquering a lot of land and then giving counties to me other children. this way they already have some of their own land and as a result most of the counties I really want to keep goes to my intended heir

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

one thing that used to work for me is conquering a lot of land and then giving counties to me other children. this way they already have some of their own land and as a result most of the counties I really want to keep goes to my intended heir

I think the problem must be that I only have a total of 9 counties in my realm, so I can't give them enough land to outweigh the duchy that the primary heir is getting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the problem must be that I only have a total of 9 counties in my realm, so I can't give them enough land to outweigh the duchy that the primary heir is getting.

Time to grab some more then

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So let's play a game of "How/Why am I hosed?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Emperor's Gay Secret