Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

ffxiv isn't even close to wow's sub numbers no matter how bad it's gotten. the most optimistic for xiv is 800k, the most pessimistic for wow is 3m

Oh yeah I see it now, ffxiv is being reported as 5 million activated subscriptions, which is just another way of saying sold copies, not active subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

John Dyne posted:

Well one full year is still longer than SoO; that tumblr says It was 321 days for SoO. If it launches in June at all it'll be ~340 days for HFC.

Siege of Orgrimmar launched 9/9/2013, the next expansion pack (the current one) launched on 13/11/2014. It was over a year for Siege.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I'm being super dumb and wrong a lot today, I think this is the right one. (399 days)

http://how-long-is-this-patch.tumblr.com/post/99973095078/today-marks-399-days-of-seige-of-orgrimmar

I should never post.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RPZip posted:

Siege of Orgrimmar launched 9/9/2013, the next expansion pack (the current one) launched on 13/11/2014. It was over a year for Siege.

Monomythian posted:

I'm being super dumb and wrong a lot today, I think this is the right one. (399 days)

http://how-long-is-this-patch.tumblr.com/post/99973095078/today-marks-399-days-of-seige-of-orgrimmar

I should never post.

Yeah you made us both look dumb, THANKS MONOMYTHIAN. MY E-CRED IS RUINED

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
gently caress someone invoked FFXIV again. :negative:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Anoia posted:

It's slightly better than the alternative I'm not gonna name because I know better.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Monomythian posted:

I should never post.

No, keep posting. You corrected yourself and admitted your mistakes. You are cool and good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

I still don't get the draw. Usually a MMO can suck me into the leveling draw, that one somehow failed.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's one of those rare game that completely rubs me the wrong way, even if I could get past one aspect I dislike there's a thousand other things that put me off. It's like many other things goons hype up to no end, at some point you've been burned so much you just tell them to gently caress off when they're trying to get you into something they're all excited about.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I have fun in FF14. Characters don't look as terrible as in wow, the music is even better and it's fun to play scholar. Anyway, that's why I play.

Also, story is OK. Better than any other MMO story I played, though that's obviously not saying much. Wish they redid the 1-50 quests though, parts of it are supershit filler that could easily be just chopped out and nobody would notice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I still don't get the draw. Usually a MMO can suck me into the leveling draw, that one somehow failed.

It takes forever to get enough abilities to make combat interesting. Even still it's pretty standard. I think people just like it because it's a competently managed WoW-like that isn't WoW and has graphics from the current decade.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Monomythian posted:

yeah, siege was 15 months long, s'why i say there just aint enough time for hfc to beat it out. trust me. i'd remember. i was counting.

and i'd take another 15 months of siege rather than the absolute poo poo garbage that was wod.

Monomythian posted:

Oh yeah I see it now, ffxiv is being reported as 5 million activated subscriptions, which is just another way of saying sold copies, not active subscriptions.

xiv's never released the sub numbers and blizzard just recently stopped (because wow was tanking so hard and it looked bad, i guarantee you if subs were up 500k they'd be singing about it), the last hard numbers for wow was at 5m ish, and the best people can do for xiv numbers is trawl the lodestone and see how many characters have gotten achivements since it's a game with no real incentive to have two characters.

hence most optimistic/most pessimistic

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Truga posted:

I have fun in FF14. Characters don't look as terrible as in wow, the music is even better and it's fun to play scholar. Anyway, that's why I play.

Also, story is OK. Better than any other MMO story I played, though that's obviously not saying much. Wish they redid the 1-50 quests though, parts of it are supershit filler that could easily be just chopped out and nobody would notice.

If you want to play an MMO for the story go pick up The Secret World right the gently caress now and lose yourself in the world. That is if you're even remotely interested in the setting, if that doesn't do anything for you there's no point.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Morglon posted:

If you want to play an MMO for the story go pick up The Secret World right the gently caress now and lose yourself in the world. That is if you're even remotely interested in the setting, if that doesn't do anything for you there's no point.

Secret World stops being interesting as soon as you get off Solomon Island.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

So is this just the "complain about whatever other MMO I was playing and then ponder how it still wasn't as bad as Wildstar" thread?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

cathead posted:

So is this just the "complain about whatever other MMO I was playing and then ponder how it still wasn't as bad as Wildstar" thread?

Always has been, with occasional updates on how badly WildStar is still doing and pauses for giggling.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anoia posted:

Solomon Island is worth 10 bucks, imo.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

cathead posted:

Even talking about other games is infinitely more enjoyable than playing wildstar

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

mike12345 posted:

Solomon Island is worth 10 bucks, imo.

Yeah, I'll give it that.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
Solomon Island is pretty fun, especially going in blind with some other folks and becoming the Puzzle Squad.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Luckily it gets good again after Egypt and I wouldn't even call that part terrible. It's just more sand than you ever needed. Tokyo is interesting too but dragged down by AEGIS.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Anoia posted:

I can't really disagree with this. Romania was merely "Meh". I saw what they were doing with the desert zone, but it kinda fell flat on it's face because the game engine just wasn't up to "Indiana Jones" or "The Mummy (The first one only)" levels.

But that spooky amusement park on Solomon Island? gently caress. Yes.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Anoia posted:

Secret World stops being interesting as soon as you get off Solomon Island into combat.

The world design is nice but the combat is so tedious that I tried multiple builds to make it more interesting but they're all just different flavors of boring to me. There is also the fact that it has that old MMO problem of fewer people are currently playing this game than originally planned for so there's a shitload of trash mobs everywhere. Secret World and SWTOR would both be better as single player games removed from all the MMO trappings.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Differo Cathedra posted:

The world design is nice but the combat is so tedious that I tried multiple builds to make it more interesting but they're all just different flavors of boring to me. There is also the fact that it has that old MMO problem of fewer people are currently playing this game than originally planned for so there's a shitload of trash mobs everywhere. Secret World and SWTOR would both be better as single player games removed from all the MMO trappings.

I agree with all of this. I had made a mistake in my build and took something I ended up not liking at all and there is no cheap or easy way to respecialize so I got stuck with my lovely, uninformed decision that kinda gimped me.

And yeah both games would be outstanding single player games.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Differo Cathedra posted:

They did a combat and mob density overhaul fairly recently so it's much better. Combat is still not really good but now that they've actually unified currencies it's so much easier to get good gear and you could be decked out in basic purps by the time you finish Solomon Island if you really wanted to.

I agree though, it would've made an amazing single player game.

Edit: It's a complete non issue to change your build though at any point in the game. You can just start putting points in other areas to get a basic workable build in anything, inner ring stuff is super cheap and by the time you get into the expensive stuff you're pretty much branching out all over the place anyway since you're gonna need passives from different trees and those transfer. When I first started doing Nightmares with goons I picked up a skill I needed for a weapon I didn't put points into before and the weapon while doing those dungeons and if you don't want to do nightmares you're never gonna need a top tier build, even the basic decks they give you will do and at some point you just fill those for the outfits.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 16, 2016

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

Morglon posted:

They did a combat and mob density overhaul fairly recently so it's much better. Combat is still not really good but now that they've actually unified currencies it's so much easier to get good gear and you could be decked out in basic purps by the time you finish Solomon Island if you really wanted to...

I actually tried the game again after they did the overhaul and honestly, it felt the same to me.

quote:

Edit: It's a complete non issue to change your build though at any point in the game.

This is partially true, but it still is an annoyance since you can either scrap through missions as best you can with what you have (:argh: akab assholes) or grind out old quests until you can grab enough abilities to try out someone else's build. Still doesn't help that all that does is make the combat go by easier, not make it enjoyable for its own sake.

I play a lot of Destiny (I know) and it is the only mmo-ish game's combat I genuinely enjoy for its own sake. Unfortunately, it also has a habit of repeating the mistakes of other games, especially sunsetting old content.

In any event, I'll definitely agree that people should get Secret World on sale and play until you reach your limit, continue ignoring wildstar, and for god's sake do not play destiny by yourself.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cathead posted:

I haven't actually played wildstar, I just read this thread every now and then, but I can honestly say Wildstar has nothing on Star Citizen.

Nothing.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Hahaha that guy's like "wait... ok gently caress this I'm out"

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That's the completely realistic Newtonian physics engine Star Citizen uses. If Star Citizen says this is how physics work reality must be wrong.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So if it's released, you think Star Citizen will flop harder than Wildstar? Cuz Wildstar sure seems to have loving cratered hard, considering the hype before it was released.

I haven't been following Star Citizen at all but I figured it'd be a shitshow from the beginning.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Star Citizen is not about the game anymore. It's a complete experience with hilarious incompetence, casual racism, slap fights and a devotion that crosses over into full blown cult territory just to name a few things. A single post really can't do it justice and I highly recommend you seek out a Star Citizen scholar and get the highlights. I'm kind of surprised nobody made an actual wiki to chronicle all this poo poo, that seems to be what goons usually do for train wrecks. Even Doobie got one.

Edit: Also Star Citizen is out already. They claim they have crossed some line that means they have released a substantial enough product to stop issuing refunds. Not even kidding here.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah, it's become this weird phenomen with enough material to warrant a thesis in either economics, sociology, or psychology.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

So if it's released, you think Star Citizen will flop harder than Wildstar? Cuz Wildstar sure seems to have loving cratered hard, considering the hype before it was released.

I haven't been following Star Citizen at all but I figured it'd be a shitshow from the beginning.

It's not a fair comparison because Wildstar is just a poorly executed game while Star Citizen is the gaming equivalent to Scientology.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Monomythian posted:

Star Citizen is the gaming equivalent to Scientology.

You can check-out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

FrostyPox posted:

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

randombattle posted:

Was there really hype for Wildstar? It was pushed heavily with ad campaigns but I don't remember people actually being excited for it.

Roleplayers and old school HARDCORE raiders. That's it. They still have roleplayers on their side since housing isn't utterly hosed up. They even bought them pizza for the relaunch event.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Wildstar and Star Citizen are apples and oranges. They're both ambitious sci-fi video games hamstrung by incompetent design and management, but the journeys starting from their conception to their ultimate demise are very different. Wildstar was funded and developed much more conventionally, while Star Citizen is a giant crowdfunded bloated mess.

Looks like Wildstar will taper off with a whimper, but who knows what will happen to the insanity that is Star Citizen. They're both fun to watch implode, though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

randombattle posted:

Yeah SA especially was like 'HOO YEAH MOTHERFUCKER' about it and there was a HUGE hype thread for it back before the beta started. Then I think it tapered a bit with the beta and then died after launch.

Also Wildstar is in the Humble Bundle again. :v: For just a dollar you get this stuff!

quote:

Critically acclaimed and now free-to-play, WildStar is a sci-fi MMO of epic proportions set on the mysterious planet Nexus. Blast off to a huge and amazingly vibrant world packed with unique characters, exotic locations, thrilling challenges, and dark mysteries.

As part of this Humble Bundle, the Jumpstart Pack is filled with amazing goodies such as immediate access to the WildStar Housing feature (normally requires level 15) and a unique Hoverboard mount. Below is everything you get in the pack:

Bag of Big Beginnings (16-slot bag)
Housewarming Gift Pack (Housing Decor)
Flask of Advancement (XP Potion) 1x 3hr
Shardspire Canyon Fabkit (Jump Puzzle Challenge)
Blue Steel Hoverboard with Flair (Mount)
Housing Teleport (Immediate Access to Housing)
New Homesteaders Allowance (5 gold)

Also Awesomenauts and a few other packs for F2P games.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Back before Wildstar launched I was with this guild when I got called to an officer meeting. Guild leader is super excited and asks me to guess what game they decided to play next. I told him if it was Wildstar I didn't give a poo poo and he seemed really hurt about that. Then we had a section of the forums just for Wildstar where that one guy was tasked to look into it and it had maybe 30 posts in total, most of them from that guy keeping people up to date on what the game would be like and poo poo and the occasional question about something he said. Then everybody understood nobody gave a poo poo about Wildstar and that part eventually disappeared and nobody talked about it anymore. Wildstar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

randombattle posted:

For a while before release it looked like it had some potential promise. It had a more active/action combat system, it was space opera sci fi instead of fantasy, it had a memorable and distinct art style, it promised housing and other stuff MMOs usually lacked, and so on. There wasn't that much reason to be pessimistic about it beyond the fact it was an MMO and MMOs always suck.

Of course then the beta hit and people actually got to see the game in play and whelp. :v: I still maintain that it probably would have been an FFXIV-level success if it was actually aimed towards a casual audience, but the sheer number of unfun groggy game design decisions basically doomed it out the gate.

• Locked thread