Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Between the new Force of Will and Masterpiece Optimus Primal, 2016 is looking like a bad year for saving money.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Goyf should be in this set too if they wanted to actually do A Good Thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you're complaining about this you're a dumbass.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This is awesome. It means Legacy isn't dead.

Everything on the reserve list is about to quadruple in price because of #MTGFinance assholes looking to capitalize on people who are excited about the format because they can afford Wastelands. Look at the history of Modern Masters and how the prices of cards that weren't reprinted exploded. Only this time, people know for sure what's not going to be in the set months in advance.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

But my VALUE and my CARDBOARD STOCK!!!!!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I don't think that anyone is complaining about it, just that the FoW mythic rarity and tripling down on the reserved list are kinda dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

I have playsets of pretty much everything that I'm sure will be in this set and I could care less about the value of my cardboard. This set is gonna be awesome and I can't wait to draft it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just ban duals, problem mostly solved

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Get your duals now!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I want to see the full card list before reserving judgement but Eternal Masters isn't the worst thing Wizards has ever done, eh.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

You could play the real force of will :getin:
I would rather play Hex, the days of in person TCGs are behind me I think.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
No reserved list reprints?

What a huge loving turd this is going to be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

Everything on the reserve list is about to quadruple in price because of #MTGFinance assholes looking to capitalize on people who are excited about the format because they can afford Wastelands. Look at the history of Modern Masters and how the prices of cards that weren't reprinted exploded. Only this time, people know for sure what's not going to be in the set months in advance.

Between this and the modern prices skyrocketing so they'll want to be trading in to ~legacy masters~, lol

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Actually the only complaints so far have been that its not an abolishment of the reserve list.

WOTC is reprinting lots of poo poo people have been screaming about for years and magic players still aren't happy, lmao

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Theory: They know that Reserved List and not-reprinted card prices will go up. 2017, or 2018, Eternal Masters 2: gently caress The Reserved List, with the price hike as a good wink wink excuse.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

loving doubleposting pc.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Even if I was clinically insane, I'd still not buy ABU duals because I don't have that kind of disposable income.

This set however will ease the burden of the EDH Pains of Buying.

Still doesn't help me with my Imperial Recruiter problem.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seriously outside of the manabases you can easily play legacy without touching a reserve listed card.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
:crossarms:

Is that Wasteland City of Brass?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

$10 a pack is lovely and Legacy is still going to be dying because the duals are on the reserved list. There almost certainly won't be enough valuable cards in the set to both be fun to draft and worth the $10 per pack price. Of course maybe they'll have all ten Fetchs and Shocks in the set at rare and maybe there won't be any Comet Storms at mythic, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Still doesn't help me with my Imperial Recruiter problem.

That's not on the reserve list, it could be in this set, at uncommon again even.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

$10 a pack is lovely and Legacy is still going to be dying because the duals are on the reserved list. There almost certainly won't be enough valuable cards in the set to both be fun to draft and worth the $10 per pack price. Of course maybe they'll have all ten Fetchs and Shocks in the set at rare and maybe there won't be any Comet Storms at mythic, but I'm not holding my breath.

They need to put a bad blue card at mythic that also starts with F so when you open it and see the edge of the card, you can be disappointed. :3:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Lord of Hats posted:

It is a City of Brass wasting away. :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That's not on the reserve list, it could he in this set, at uncommon again even.

Oh right!

I keep feeling like the Portal sets are caught in this weird Reserved List/Not Reserved List limbo for some reason.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Flavorful AND true. :allears:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
where's my loving muscle mage

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

I keep feeling like the Portal sets are caught in this weird Reserved List/Not Reserved List limbo for some reason.

Hopefully lots of the P3K ridiculously expensive cards will be included, like Imperial Seal, etc for Cubers, EDH, and eternal constructed players.

This has the potential to be a very cool product and its so typical of mtg players to immediately dismiss it because WOTC didn't do exactly what they wanted how they wanted.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Best FoW art replaced by generic fantasy art #37?

Poor form, Wizards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

where's my loving muscle mage

She got married last year IIRC.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Toshimo posted:

Best FoW art replaced by generic fantasy art #37?

Poor form, Wizards.

It could be worse, imagine opening up this piece of poo poo:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This has the potential to be a very cool product and its so typical of mtg players to immediately dismiss it because WOTC didn't do exactly what they wanted how they wanted.

Every pack could include a real life LOTV who's horny and dying to give you a beezy and people would still complain

I wonder what kind of draft chaff they'll be including to lower the EV though.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Serperoth posted:

She got married last year IIRC.

i said this in IRC but if i were in charge i'd make the set gimmick that every piece of countermagic had the muscle mage on it if they did that it would be one of the rare times i'd want to go new border

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Chill la Chill posted:

They need to put a bad blue card at mythic that also starts with F so when you open it and see the edge of the card, you can be disappointed. :3:

Fact or Fiction for the feelbads, or Flusterstorm for getting at least some value out of it

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Please have a new cycle of strictly better duals.

(oh, and a pony)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Please have a new cycle of strictly better duals.

(oh, and a pony)

Trilands with Basic Land Types let's go WotC

I want to play Painter Servant but also splash white for Entreat and Terminus for reasons?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

MM15 was 10 bucks a pack, very fun to draft and good value wise.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
This is probably mostly good, at least if it's as good a draft as MMA, but they're overcharging again, it's not going to do much for availability and prices.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

This'll maybe help get the price of Wasteland under control, but maybe not. Definitely not for FOW. Also if this increases interest in Legacy at all it'll spike the prices of cards that aren't in the set, like ABUR duals, City of Traitors, LED, etc.
Still, this means I can hold off on completing my collection of Ports.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I've already requested a box for my birthday, which is literally 2 days after this releases.

I'm a child. Also they're going to reprint Mr. Brain Blender, Jace again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

get this; a set's value has absolutely nothing to do with how fun it is to draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Seriously outside of the manabases you can easily play legacy without touching a reserve listed card.
And the manabase is the most expensive part, so while I appreciate your point, it doesn't really address the fundamental issue.

The trend of standard going upwards in price, along with the impact that past reprint sets have had on modern card prices (some staples go down, most chase rares become even more expensive) isn't exactly a promising sign for what will happen next. It gives the distinct impression that all this set will realistically do at the price point it's at is push the price of many of the cards they do reprint higher (because there will be many thousands of new players trying to get into the format), and shoot the reserved list cards to ever more ridiculous heights.

Which is fine if you're happy to use counterfeits I suppose.

Edit: This is ignoring the draft format, which if the past is any indication will actually be pretty loving awesome.

• Locked thread