Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The latest in Kathy Tomlinson's series in the Globe and Mail:

I hate what this place has become.

I guess it was the natural outcome to the Vancouver Stock Exchange folding. Our main outlet for scamming each other and breaking securities law would eventually find a new path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Say what you will about the IRS; they don't tolerate blatant tax evasion like we're apparently willing to do.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The latest in Kathy Tomlinson's series in the Globe and Mail:

I've taken to wandering around random neighborhoods at 3am and moving realtor signs a block away to a completely different house. gently caress 'em.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
People making 100k-200k a year in the oilfields were truck drivers and not experienced engineers? What were the engineers making then, double or triple?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My father-in-law was a truck driver out there and made a bit more than $100K a year. He's been out of work for over a year now and he's stopped talking about going back out. I think his friends who had the job hookup that he spoke to a few times a week have either told him that they cannot help him (and me, since he wanted to get me a short term job to pay off a chunk of my student debt) or have lost their own jobs.

He's basically this guy, nothing to show for having gone out there and making good money for 5 years.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

CRA really needs to nail tax evaders to the loving wall.

Terex
Jan 2, 2013

OhYeah posted:

People making 100k-200k a year in the oilfields were truck drivers and not experienced engineers? What were the engineers making then, double or triple?

Truck drivers are entry level heavy equipment operators. With overtime, shovel operators were making up to 300k. Entry level engineers make ~100k. I don't know what senior positions make, but the APEGA Salary Survey makes it look like it tops out around 200k/year. However, to make top money operating equipment you need to work ~75% of the time, which works out to be 63 hour work weeks. (I briefly drove a haul truck ~5 years ago)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Real Estate Council of B.C. advises its members to refer clients to accountants or lawyers for GST and capital-gains determinations, because agents are not tax experts. “They are responsible for the accuracy of any advice they may provide,” said Maureen Coleman, the regulator’s professional standards adviser.

I love this excuse. Buuuuhh we're not tax experts here guys! We couldn't possibly tell people honestly whether the incredibly simple tax law applies to them. It's just too complicated!!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
People who don't understand liability and fiduciary duty ITT

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My workmate who went up to northern alberta to do some short-term carpentry work some how managed to come back into town about 20k in tax debt because his boss was paying everyone sort of under the table and just shrugging about what a T4 is and none of the workers had ever worked a job where they had to take off their own taxes. And all being early-20 something idiots spent every penny they made, so they all got a new truck or car and then realized they didn't pay any taxes for that year.

The reaction of course is "gently caress the government taxing me to death" not "gently caress our employer for not doing deductions like most" or even "gently caress my self for not figuring this out or asking about it"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The employer did nothing wrong and the government did nothing wrong. It's entirely the fault of the retard who doesn't realize they have to pay taxes. I haven't got an ounce of sympathy for them.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Paying people under the table and acting like it doesn't matter is pretty wrong.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
lol dumb working class idiots

don't they know only the super rich are allowed to get away with not paying their taxes?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The guy did everything above board and did all deductions the previous years the crew worked, I think that's what threw them off. But no one wanted to think too hard at why their take-home pay had gone way up yet no one had officially got a raise. What ever, it's alberta, the money always keeps going up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

If you don't care about these things it means you would make a good BC real estate agent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

etalian posted:

If you don't care about these things it means you would make a good BC real estate agent.

"You're walking in the desert and you see a homeowner underwater on their mortgage. Do you flip it over?"

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

ZShakespeare posted:

They're a regulated profession. They should be educated appropriately so that they can do their jobs, or otherwise retain outside opinions. How the hell can a real estate agent properly advise you without being able to tell you how much real estate is going to cost you?

They don't need to be tax experts. They need to know the basic rules relating to their job well enough to deal with standard situations and well enough that they know when to engage someone else.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Subjunctive posted:

"You're walking in the desert and you see a homeowner underwater on their mortgage. Do you flip it over? FLIP THIS HOUSE"

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SubCrid TC posted:

They're a regulated profession. They should be educated appropriately so that they can do their jobs, or otherwise retain outside opinions. How the hell can a real estate agent properly advise you without being able to tell you how much real estate is going to cost you?

They don't need to be tax experts. They need to know the basic rules relating to their job well enough to deal with standard situations and well enough that they know when to engage someone else.

It would be easier to buy their "we're not tax experts" line if they weren't busy telling everyone how GST totally doesn't apply.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

When I was like 10 years old, whenever we saw one of their faces on a bus bench or flyer my friend and I used to shout "bloodsucking real estate agents!" Or, "gently caress the Chanceys!" It was childish, it wasn't based in anything in particular, but now I really think our 10 year old selves were onto something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

THC posted:

When I was like 10 years old, whenever we saw one of their faces on a bus bench or flyer my friend and I used to shout "bloodsucking real estate agents!" Or, "gently caress the Chanceys!" It was childish, it wasn't based in anything in particular, but now I really think our 10 year old selves were onto something.

When I worked at a pizza place as a student a (super over-weight) "hot-shot" real estate agent would come in and grumble that the owner always has a fresh pizza put on for him so he can get one of our 1/5th of a pizza slices from it

The first time he asked me I went into the back where my boss (cousin to the owner) was and asked him about it and he yelled "He's a liar, don't do any favors for that gently caress!"

I think I learned more about life from that pizza place than I did from university

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

"You're walking in the desert and you see a homeowner underwater on their mortgage. Do you flip it over?"

lol

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

"You're walking in the desert and you see a homeowner underwater on their mortgage. Do you pee in their gasping mouth?"

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Baronjutter posted:

The guy did everything above board and did all deductions the previous years the crew worked, I think that's what threw them off. But no one wanted to think too hard at why their take-home pay had gone way up yet no one had officially got a raise. What ever, it's alberta, the money always keeps going up.

And nobody ever looks at their paystubs, apparently.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tagesschau posted:

And nobody ever looks at their paystubs, apparently.

Are you doubting the honesty and integrity of the humble and benevolent job creator class?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No, I think we're doubting the intelligence of an adult human being who doesn't realize they're obligated to pay taxes. Didn't they wonder why they weren't getting any tax-related documentation from their employers, if nothing else?

Edit: maybe I'm biased because I haven't had a job with withholdings since high school, but I thought "you must pay tax on all income" was common knowledge for anyone functional enough to be employed in the first place.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

No, I think we're doubting the intelligence of an adult human being who doesn't realize they're obligated to pay taxes. Didn't they wonder why they weren't getting any tax-related documentation from their employers, if nothing else?

Edit: maybe I'm biased because I haven't had a job with withholdings since high school, but I thought "you must pay tax on all income" was common knowledge for anyone functional enough to be employed in the first place.

Pretty sure the only check boxes you needed to fill to work in the tar sands was "Breathing" and "Heartbeat" so...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Are you honestly saying that "you must pay taxes on income" is something that normal, functional adults routinely fail to understand?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Are you honestly saying that "you must pay taxes on income" is something that normal, functional adults routinely fail to understand?

Yes. It seems very common.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

How many people employed in the new + glorious Sharing Independent Contractor Economy accurately report their income, do you figure?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

How many people employed in the new + glorious Sharing Independent Contractor Economy accurately report their income, do you figure?

I don't know and frankly I don't care. What I do know is that, if they get caught under-reporting their income or failing to report their income entirely, they can go take a flying gently caress as far as I'm concerned. Enforcement is an important question for the CRA, but what's not a question is whether we should have any sympathy for people who knowingly ignore the law because they don't want to pay money. We shouldn't. Not even a little.

We shouldn't accept that when businesses do it, and we shouldn't accept that when people do it either.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Until our society decides to crack down on the billion dollar operations that blatantly avoid paying their fair share of taxes I will applaud any working class schmo who succeeds in keeping a few paltry thousand out of the coffers of a system that doesn't give a flying gently caress about anyone but the rich.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh okay, can you give me the full list of laws I can break because the world is poopy and mean, or is it up to me to pick and choose?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Until our society decides to crack down on the billion dollar operations that blatantly avoid paying their fair share of taxes I will applaud any working class schmo who succeeds in keeping a few paltry thousand out of the coffers of a system that doesn't give a flying gently caress about anyone but the rich.

While I tend to agree with this on the surface, it only works if you can pull it off. Not paying taxes and getting caught almost immediately is just being a dumbass, and only warrants being mocked, not applauded.

Edit: PT6A: What, you haven't registered your person as a multinational with its head office in Dublin yet? Get with the program buddy.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 16, 2016

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 25, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That's basically a freeman on the land scheme applied to taxes, no surprise the court didn't give a poo poo

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

PT6A posted:

Oh okay, can you give me the full list of laws I can break because the world is poopy and mean, or is it up to me to pick and choose?

itt pt6a states his commitment to seeing all those god drat dope smokers thrown in the clink

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

itt pt6a states his commitment to seeing all those god drat dope smokers thrown in the clink

That's different. I think people should be free to disregard drug laws because I believe the choice to put whatever you like into your body is a fundamental right. Even so, if you do it, you really shouldn't complain too loudly when the police ruin your day for, well, breaking the law. EvilJoven's argument seems to be "other people get away with worse things," not "it's a fundamental right to avoid taxation." This would be more like me saying, "big companies get away with polluting, therefore I should be able to smoke a cigarette in a restaurant, since that's not much pollution by comparison."

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/prepay-taxes-wealthy-albertans-1.3442826?cmp=rss

Wealthy Albertans look to avoid tax pain — for now

High-income residents are prepaying as much tax as possible now to avoid higher rates in 2016

Ike Kolias is planning to pay a big tax bill in April — and he's happy about it.

Kolias is claiming four years of income from his investment business all in 2015. That's because starting in 2016, his taxes are going up — way up. Claiming the income in 2015 will save him thousands of dollars over the next four years.

'It's a matter now of preserving capital.'
- Ike Kolias
Kolias says that he's not the only high-income Albertan making the decision to claim as much income as possible in 2015. If you have the ability, he says, it's the only prudent thing to do in a province where nothing is certain — except higher taxes, of course.

Taxes could have bigger impact on Albertans in 2016
Tax changes will affect 2016 paycheques, but few may notice
"It's a matter now of preserving capital," Kolias told CBC News. "You're in an economy that's gone bad, and you're not going to be making the same money in the future that you're making now."

It's perfectly legal. Accountants will tell you that it is entirely sensible. And economists say it is to be expected. If you raise taxes people change their behaviour.

Taxes higher by as much as 9%

For many years, it was good to be a high earner in Alberta. The provincial tax rate was 10 per cent, no matter what the income level. But the flat tax was killed by the former Progressive Conservative government last spring before the election, and Alberta's new NDP government has introduced four new marginal tax rates.

In 2016, Albertans with an income above $300,000 will pay a 15 per cent tax rate provincially. Federal taxes will also increase in 2016, to a maximum of 33 per cent for those who make $200,000 or more. Put it together, it's a 9 per cent increase for the highest income earners.

There are a lot of them in Alberta. According to the most recent numbers from Statistics Canada, nearly 130,000 Albertans made more than $200,000 a year in 2013.

But accelerating your income, the way Kolias has done, is not for everyone.

"Obviously it's only for people who control their income," said Fraser Boyd, an accountant with Roberts & Company.

"Anyone that operates under a corporation because that's the mechanism that allows you to do it: doctors, dentists, lawyers, accountants and then the small business owners."

Jack Mintz, a fellow with the University of Calgary's school of public policy, told CBC News."So the questions is, when you have a nine point hike what do people try to do to avoid it, to plan around it.

"So one of the things they would do is shift income that they would expect to earn in the future into 2015."

Mintz said that he would expect investors to also try to shift income to the earlier year by capturing capital gains early.

"People respond to taxation," Mintz said. "Suppose the government puts a higher tax on beer compared to wine. People switch to wine instead of beer, that's tax avoidance."

Impact on provincial coffers

This is happening to some degree across the country as Canadians react to higher federal taxes, but because Alberta is seeing a double whammy, with many wealthy households, it's expected to have an impact on the province's books.

Mintz said that the top 10 per cent of households in Alberta paid 45 per cent of the province's personal taxes in 2013, and even if not all of those households can shift income around, enough will to make a mark.

Boyd agrees.

"I fully expect — and most people that I talk to in the profession think — that 2015 is going to look like a very good year from a personal tax revenue perspective because there will be so much income taken in this year," he said. "But I expect the next few years to be quite dry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-thieves-use-front-end-loader-to-steal-atm-1.2778179

Calgary thieves use front end loader to steal ATM

Thieves in Calgary went to some rather extreme measures in an attempt to grab some cash early Sunday morning, stealing a front end loader to smash into a Royal Bank branch and make off with the bank machine.

The theft occurred just before 4 a.m. Sunday morning. Security camera footage caught the thieves driving the large yellow loader through the side of the building, nabbing the bank machine and then leaving the loader behind.

He says whoever got the machine operating knew how to operate such vehicles.

This is the latest in a series of smash and grabs in the Calgary area in last few days. Last Thursday, a pickup truck was used to smash into an electronics store in the city’s southeast end.

In that incident, drivers used the truck to repeatedly crash into the store’s loading bay door until it buckled. Three men in dark clothing then ran into the store and quickly loaded the pickup truck with $20,000 worth of flat screen TVs, before fleeing.

On Friday, a driver used a tractor in two unsuccessful attempts to steal ATMs in the town of Magrath, south of Lethbridge.

There have been more than a dozen ATM smash-and-grab thefts in the Calgary area since August. All involved thieves who used vehicles or weapons to break through doors or windows and then steal the machines.

In almost every instance, the thieves got away with little to no money, say Calgary police. That’s because such machines are emptied several times a day and then again at the end of the business day.

If Alberta is the barometer of our crash, things are looking desperate.